Author Topic: About the Unsafe Site Warning  (Read 6165 times)

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
Re: About the Unsafe Site Warning
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
I'm glad I read this, this morning on my phone. Because I just got on my computer and got the big red screen, so I knew not to panic.

Offline Nevermore

• Quoth the raven;
  • Townie
  • Always dreaming of a winter wonderland.
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »
@Carl: The issue seems solved for me now. I didn't get any warnings or anything. Whatever caused it seems to be gone.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 04:50:04 PM »
I checked an hour ago and the stupid warning was still up. @Nevermore -- did you do something to make it go away? Or did it just go away on its own?

Offline Nevermore

• Quoth the raven;
  • Townie
  • Always dreaming of a winter wonderland.
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
@Metropolis Man: It went away on it's own for a while. If I come straight to the index page, it gives the dangerous alert. If I go directly to one of the boards or a specific topic, it doesn't do it. I have browser histories from different topics, to keep track of stories, etc.

It seems for me going on the index page triggers it.

Offline LivingInSim

• Nooboo
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »
For what it's worth, I visited here, saw the bad warning, and flagged you as a safe site: https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/report_error/?tpl=mozilla&hl=en-US&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carls-sims-4-guide.com%2Frelationships%2Fromance.php (I was visiting an interior page from Firefox).

This sucks, and I'm sorry this happened.  You likely already know and I don't want to assume, but it might be a good idea to check your site's security certificate as well and see if it expired for some reason.  Long time lurker and I'd hate to see your site get in Google jail.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »
@LivingInSim Thanks for the vote of confidence.

They did review us - I just got the email from Google that states the review process was successful and they'll remove the warning and ranking penalty shortly.

I'll still have to figure out which ad provider was doing this, and hope nothing like it comes up again. Sadly you always have bad actors that put ads on any network, and those can be used maliciously. It is why things like what google did are appropriate. Hacks and unsavory ads can happen without a webmaster knowing, so them warning visitors (along with the webmaster) gives a chance to fix that without visitors getting infected. They are also working with networks to develop standards - what you can put in an ad, and what you can't. The obvious (bad scripts), are obviously not allowed. Less obvious, fake download buttons in ads that try to get users to install malware.

Offline LivingInSim

• Nooboo
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »
Glad it's on the mend!  As an Adwords advertiser, I totally get it!  The ads have to be appropriate for the site for everyone's sake, and not malicious malwertising (like this one likely was).  You guys definitely have your act together and have been around for a while, so I'm sure Google will take care of it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nancy01905

• Somewhere in Space
  • Townie
  • Sims, and Doctor Who rocks!!!!
    • Creations Haven
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 07:35:36 PM »
I am back on the site on chrome.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
Problem seems to be fixed. The warning is gone.

Offline KTK10

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 01:05:42 AM »
 All fixed for me too. Thanks so much guys  ;D

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 06:39:21 AM »
I got the same message on both Google and Firefox . Wasn't able to come on this site at all , all of yesterday . This morning all seems fine .
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio