Author Topic: The Race to Immortality  (Read 9984 times)

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
Re: The Race to Immortality
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
I initially moved my Sim into Bargain Bend, then used the phone to move to/bulldoze Oakenstead. I chose that lot because both the lily and snapdragon plants are available there and angelfish can be caught on the beach across the street. The key was to avoid leaving the lot at all so that plant growth times were not interrupted. I chose the Homey and Great Soil lot traits. Great Soil increases the speed at which plants grow. I'm not sure of the exact percentage, but it's significant.

After moving in, my Sim immediately went to San Myshuno and bought a pomegranate from the fruit vendor. This was the only time he left the lot. He got home, planted the pomegranate, took a citrus soak bath with incense burning (12 hr focused moodlet) and then joined the Garden Gnomes. He started a club gathering and chose the "fish together" option on one of the fishing signs near the lot. Once the club started heading over to fish, I cancelled the action on my Sim and had him read gardening books until he got to Level 5. He did stop reading briefly when the snapdragon sprouted a flower, harvested and planted that. He then joined the group fishing. At some point while fishing, the club had enough points for Rally the Troops, which enabled them to continue fishing until my Sim caught an angelfish. By the end of the first day, my Sim had gotten gardening to Level 5, had caught an angelfish, and had spliced the lily/snapdragon.

I spent a lot of time watching plants with the camera zoomed in on them so I could complete actions as soon as they were available. As soon as the lily and snapdragon were ready, I took a cutting from the lily and spliced it to the snapdragon on my lot. As soon as the grafted plant sprouted an orchid, I had my Sim plant it, etc. I seldom ran my game on fast speed because I didn't want any time to pass between when an action was available and when my Sim could do it.

I next joined the Upper Crusts for the cooking and gourmet cooking boosts, although this probably wasn't necessary since those skills build so quickly anyway. While in a club gathering, my Sim cooked and I used Nutella's trick of mining cooking for asp. points so I could purchase the Green Thumb award. Great Soil + Green Thumb makes plants grow really fast. I wasn't worried about spending the points for Green Thumb because I knew I had a couple of days to make up the 1500 points for the Potion of Youth and I could easily get those points by satisfying cooking whims. Once I got the points for the potion, it was just a matter of time waiting for plants to grow. I set up an easel and had my Sim paint while right next to the plants and the very moment a death flower sprouted he quickly harvested it, cooked his ambrosia, and ate it.

Aaah I totally forgot about being able to buy a Pomegranate. I fished it out the Sylvas Glades pond (I also harvested the lily there).

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2017, 11:52:45 AM »
@Metropolis Man, I am curious about the banning of the Science career and Fortune aspirations. I've racked my brain trying to figure out why. I'm sure it's something simple, but I just don't know.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MissZoef

• Occult
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »
Me too. I couldnt think of a reason either

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »
The Science career was banned because of a couple of serums that extend life, although most good players will be able to make ambrosia before getting to that level of the career.
I think the Fortune aspirations are banned because they offer a quick way to get the 1500 points for the Potion of Youth and the other good rewards.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2017, 01:40:19 PM »
Well played @reggiko !

Thanks to the the Challenges Team and all the players for a fun experience! XD

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
Contratulations @reggikko!

I had no idea there was a place where you could buy a pomegranate!  Obviously I haven't frequented San Myshuno enough.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2017, 06:58:37 PM »
Contratulations @reggikko!

I had no idea there was a place where you could buy a pomegranate!  Obviously I haven't frequented San Myshuno enough.  Thanks for sharing!

Yes, the produce stalls that spawn in the Spice and Art Districts sell all kinds of produce, including blackberries and pomegranates.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Minnie Mouse

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »
I didn't realize there was a home lot with both snapdragon and orchid. So I got the super green thumb trait ASAP (Soulmate aspiration), to speed up the growing process while I was away taking cuttings. Otherwise, my strategy was nearly identical.

I had actually never made ambrosia before, so this was a fun challenge! Congrats @reggikko on the win! :)

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
I was DNF because of a deadly fire --- even with a good stove, as well as a sprinkler and a fire alarm.  I practiced with the best one, as well as a sprinkler and a fire alarm.  I thought I would need to save just a little bit of money for all the cooking because all the gathering plants around Newcrest to sell was taking forever in my practice run.  This is the first time that I’ve changed my plan for my scoring file from my practice run.  I practiced leveling up my Sim in cooking, gourmet cooking, fishing and gardening, as well as completing enough whims to buy 1 potion of youth for the ambrosia.  I used Asphalt Abodes to avoid traveling, and my Sim slept outside --- although, there was a small bathroom, and a wall behind the stove for both alarms.  I purchased a portable bed, shower and cooler, in case any travel was somehow needed.  It’s great to know that San Myshuno sells pomegranates.

Great strategy @reggikko 8)!

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2017, 09:21:21 AM »
I had a pretty similiar strategy to reggikko.
What slowed me down was that none of my runs, neither test runs nor the final the death flower would show up as the first fruit on the plant. (The same with the Orchid) So i had to wait on them.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2017, 09:36:58 AM »
That's too bad, @coolsim9999999. I had a Sim die of hysteria in a challenge last year. Just an FYI, it's my understanding that the sprinkler only works in a room with a ceiling.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that that happened to you last year reggikko.
Thanks so much for your awesome tip about sprinkles needing to be placed in a room with a ceiling! 

Offline WriterJunkie

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »
If I had a bit more experience with gardening I'd have been done Saturday of week one. So we had to sit and wait until Thursday for the plants to grow in. I had the great soil trait, but I think my plants may have glitched and only restarted when I closed out the game, cause it took from Fri to Thurs for Death Flowers to grow. Not sure if that is normal growth or not.

anything