Author Topic: Sul Sul! And Thanks for All the Fish  (Read 13323 times)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
Re: Sul Sul! And Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »
Adira finished with:
32 fish, 10 aliens, 4 space rocks, and 17 other unique items for a total of 63 items.
She completed 247 space missions, for a multiplier of 3.47
Total score: 2186

Edited previous 3.27 multiplier to correct 3.47

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2017, 04:58:12 PM »
Oh, my gosh, GlazeyLady...great score. That's an amazing number of missions you pulled off. Well done. You're really setting the bar high this year. :)

EDIT -- GlazeyLady I am coming up with 2060 for your score -- 630 X 3.27. Am I missing something?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »
Oh, my gosh, GlazeyLady...great score. That's an amazing number of missions you pulled off. Well done. You're really setting the bar high this year. :)

EDIT -- GlazeyLady I am coming up with 2060 for your score -- 630 X 3.27. Am I missing something?

The multiplier should be 3.47, not 3.27, so 2186 is correct.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »

The multiplier should be 3.47, not 3.27, so 2186 is correct.

Everything is correct. Thank you reggikko, Great score GlazeyLady

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2017, 07:12:18 PM »
Ah, ok. I see what she did. Got it.

Offline MysteryGem

• Nooboo
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
My girl Star finished with ---

16 space rocks, aliens, and unique items from space = 160

28 fish and unique items = 280

96 safe landings from space

160 + 280 = 440 * 1.96  with final score of 862

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2017, 09:50:09 PM »
@reggikko  @sdhoey  @Metropolis Man   Thanks for checking my math - I copied that incorrectly from my spreadsheet.  I edited my original post to fix it.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »
My sim fished and found 64 Unique items, and went savely into space 225 times

Which brings the score to:
64*10=640
225*0,01+1=3,25
640*3,25=2080

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2017, 05:44:15 AM »
This challenge is now closed. Thanks to all participants and grats to GlazeyLady for a solid win. Everyone is now free to discuss strategy.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »
My basic strategy was straightforward. I fished for all of the fish, including those in Granite Falls. I also fished specific areas for non-fish items. In my regular game, my Sims spend a lot of time fishing, so I already knew where to fish for specific items. For example, in Granite Falls, you can fish for parsley, sage, the tarp shower, and the tent. The stream at the back of Magnolia Blossom Park has dragonfruit and voodoo dolls (which I didn't get) and the area all the way to the rear of Desert Bloom Park has violins (which I did get). I missed getting a rose (little stream at the front of Desert Bloom) because I forgot and for some reason, Forgotten Hollow was completely off my radar. I realized later that I could have gotten a plasma fruit and batfish there. I also did not manage to get the gramophone stereo in Forgotten Grotto.

This brings me to my major mistake. I spent time leveling handiness to have access to Forgotten Grotto for the batfish, gramophone, stacking crates, and health potion. That was too much time for too little pay off, especially since I could have gotten batfish in Forgotten Hollow. I also spent a little more than one day in Granite Falls. My time would have been better spent doing more rocket missions. I didn't practice at all for this challenge; maybe if I had I would have realized these strategy errors.

34 points! ARRRGGGHHH! ;)

Regardless, this was a very fun challenge for me. Congratulations to GlazeyLady!

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2017, 08:02:33 PM »
I had really only three key elements to my strategy: 
1)  Fish fast.  I allowed one sim-week for fishing.  I targeted specific fishing spots for specific things, but if I didn't get it pretty quick I moved on.  At the end of the week, I went back and tried to get some of the fish/items I hadn't gotten yet, but I stuck strong to the one-week limit.
2)  Take the space mission options most likely to lead to getting items, but once I had all the space rocks and aliens, plus the UFO fruit, I switched to taking whatever option was most likely to end the mission the fastest.
3)  Used clubs to avoid taking time to eat or sleep.

This Site was really helpful: https://levelskip.com/simulation/The-Sims-4-Walkthrough-Guide-to-Exploring-Space

Some of the ways I ended missions quickly were:
Put the ball in the triangle hole - sends you straight home.  :)
Decline the race.  (I really always wanted to race, but saying no got my sim home faster)
Ignore the Populous Toilet Seat and just Go Home.  (Doesn't always work - sometimes you're forced to stay)
Rescue the Pilot (instead of towing the ship) seemed to end quicker.
On the Derelict Vessel, where you can Board the Ship and then go to the Biology Lab or the Geology Lab, and you always get something - instead of boarding, you can Gather Parts and end quickly
Orbiting the moon ends quicker than trying to land on it
On The Green Man scenario, I more often "failed" (meaning the scenario ended sooner) when searching the swamp, so once I had the main items, that's what I chose.

There may be more, but I didn't write them down and that's what I remember.

These challenges that involve choosing between getting more of something or increasing the multiplier always intrigue me - trying to figure out which is the most important to do.  A lot of the time I waffle back and forth.  But with this one I made a plan and stuck to it - I think it was easier to stick to because it was a pretty straightforward challenge.  But it did get really boring for me - three sim weeks of space mission after space mission with some "Rally the Troops', baths, and quick chats to keep needs up.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2017, 09:10:01 PM »
While playing through this challenge, I frequently felt gratitude to the Challenges Team for switching all this year's challenges to Short lifespan!

Thanks for sharing your tips, reggikko and GlazeyLady!
Thanks for a fun challenge, Challenges Team!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2017, 06:25:42 AM »
While playing through this challenge, I frequently felt gratitude to the Challenges Team for switching all this year's challenges to Short lifespan!

Indeed. I think it's a big reason why we're seeing decent participation this year. Everyone is busy, myself included, and has their hands in lots of stuff, so these challenges need to be knocked out quickly.