Author Topic: Rules: Runaway Teen Challenge - Cats and Dogs  (Read 8293 times)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Rules: Runaway Teen Challenge - Cats and Dogs
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:11:28 PM »
Runaway Teen Challenge - Cats and Dogs

(Note: This is a challenge for one sim and one dog)
To start this challenge make your teen sim in CAS. Choose any traits you like but consider not using more than one that will be particularly helpful such as Loves The Outdoors.
Make one pet dog. Consider using one of the more challenging traits i.e. stubborn or aggressive. But most of all use traits that will be fun for you.
Move your teen sim and dog straight onto any empty lot.
The first time you travel it must be to a gym where you will go into build mode and place down a cheap bath. This is so you can bathe your dog, we’re not about animal neglect here!

Lot Traits:
This is up to the player. Using lot traits can make this challenge easier though so if you want a harder challenge use lot traits like Cursed etc. Using lot traits is a good method of manipulating the difficulty level.

Two Purchasing Options:
You can only purchase a bed for your teen or a tent/camping stretcher if you have Outdoor Retreat and one pet bowl then using the money cheat reduce your household funds to 0
Or:
Use the money cheat and reduce your household funds to 0 and start on a completely empty lot.

Rules:
1.Your sim must go to school each day and can only take earned holiday days.

2.You may not get a job as a Teen.

3.You may gather wild plants, collectables, fish all you want and use any skilling item on community lots to make money or to help you complete your first aspiration. Your sim may not use a community skilling item until they are companions with their pet and have successfully trained one command. Your sim may sell any item a pet finds.

4. Your sim must take their pet with them every time they travel.

5. Your pet must have a vet check up once a sim week and you must always attend to your pets needs if they have a red icon color indicating some need has not been met. Your goal is to have your pets icon neutral or green at all times.

6. You can not shower, bathe, sleep or cook at sims residential lots until you are a Young Adult.

7. All Reward Traits can be purchased but all potions are banned until you have a house.

8. No initiating conversations with children, adults, elders or other animals. You can only talk to other teens and your pet to meet your teen's social need. Your sim may talk to other animals if they are completing or working on the Friend to the Animal Aspiration*See notes below

9. Set your Seasons as you wish, if you want more of a challenge then leave weather effects on etc.

Making Money
Your teen sim may make money anyway they possibly can.

Requirements for Building:
Enough simoleons  to build all at once, a structure including (but not limited to) a kitchen, a bedroom and a bathroom. You must place one pet door. This can all be very basic but must include all the necessities.
Purchased pet items: bed, toys, cat condos if applicable.
Completed one Aspiration
Master the Training Skill

Requirements for getting a job as a Young Adult:
A at school on the day your sim ages up to a Young Adult
Completed one Aspiration

Requirements for Using Computers, Phone and Kitchen Appliances:
A house

Traveling at any time is allowed including taking vacation time in Granite Falls as long as no normal school days are missed. (Normal school days = days that are not earned vacation days.)
You can edit community lots and place buildings as you wish, just remember that changes might make your challenge less of a challenge!
There is no scoring as such, the goal is to have an expensive house and a high paying career, basically for your sim to be living the good life after such a rocky beginning.

* Rule 8. Only talk to other teens and your pet for social needs, cancel conversations with children, adults, elders and pets that get started and do not direct your sim to talk to children, adults, elders or pets. But don't sweat it if an auto-conversation happens or if an animal approaches your sim. Talking to other animals is banned unless your sim is doing the Friend of the Animals Aspiration, this is just to add some level of difficulty back into the challenge.

** Before your teens house is built, as a general rule - placing any item on the teens home lot is ok as long as this item can be dragged into a sim personal inventory in-game.
Once your sim builds their house all items may be placed as you wish.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Rules: Runaway Teen Challenge - Pets
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 05:14:48 PM »
I haven't play tested this yet, will be doing so today. I'm not 100% happy with it so very likely there will be changes. I wanted it to be more pet-central so I'm not sure if I've achieved that.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
Playalot, this sounds really great!
I have two more updates left for my Rival Dynasties Challenge, then I'm going to jump on this challenge early next week.

Meanwhile, may I ask how many levels the Pet Training skil lhas? Lol.

P.S. It would be both funny and frustrating to have a few objectives that only the (uncontrollable) pet must complete. :D

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 07:13:41 PM »
Training skill has 5 levels. I agree re: pets completing actions but I couldn't think of any so hopefully I'll discover a few more ideas etc as I play though this. It's been a while since I've played without cheats so my poor teen is starving with not enough money to buy anything. lol

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Rules: Runaway Teen Challenge - Cats and Dogs
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:01:09 AM »
When does one know when this challenge is done?
In your case, how long do you usually play the No-Pets version? Until your sim is so rich that you want a start playing another starving teen?

Edited to add: Your story of this challenge answered the question for me. Thank you!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
When does one know when this challenge is done?
In your case, how long do you usually play the No-Pets version? Until your sim is so rich that you want a start playing another starving teen?

Edited to add: Your story of this challenge answered the question for me. Thank you!

I tend to finish it once the teen has his Young adult birthday or sometimes once all the 'Requirements' have been met.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
I rewrote and reposted my comment, because I had to rewrite it completely. Here goes.

Question #1: Are the coolers from Outdoor Retreat considered "kitchen appliances"?

In Build mode, coolers can be found under Misc Activities and Skills, not with the other kitchen stuff.
Or am I just splitting hairs because I'm lazy?  ;)

Question #2: What are we allowed to place on our lot prior to building a house?

Besides a food bowl, I later bought my dog a bed which I'm sure is fine.
Or are we only allowed to buy/place the sleeping object and food bowl?
Edited to add: I checked your story again and note that Keon only had a bed and dog bowl on the lot...

Question #3: Are we only allowed to use skilling objects while on community lots?

Keon did all his painting at the art museum, which I imagine gave him the Well-Decorated moodlet.
Could he have bought an easel and painted on his lot if he wished?

Question #4: Is the Bestselling Author banned?

The last rule states that a house is required to use computers, phones, and kitchen appliances.
This means, I assume, that a runaway teen cannot work on the Bestselling Author using the library computers.

I'm going to go back and look carefully at the screenshots of your lot now, lol.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 01:26:21 AM »
@oshizu

1. I make the general rule that anything that can be placed into a sims personal inventory in-game can be placed.

2. Pet food bowl, pet toy box, pet bed, tent, camping stretcher, fire pit (as it can be dragged into a sims inventory) ... all good. I sort of draw the line at actual BBQ's although. I mean, a fire pit is a bit of a stretch of the imagination as well! lol

3. Back to the general rule of if it can be dragged into a sims inventory.

4. It is not banned per-say... just your teen sim has to lift a certain requirement (have a house built) before they can use PC's.

Question for you... I added a note at the bottom of the rules to make it more explicit that any item is 'allowed' on the lot before building an actual house as long as it can be dragged into a sims personal inventory. Does that explain the issue clearly?

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »
Thank you so much for your response!
Whether an item can be dragged into personal inventory or not draws a very clear line!
I unwisely chose to place the bath in Skye Fitness, where the bathrooms are on the bottom floor, and my dog is needing a bath every day (lol).
That's why I'm trying to cut corners time-wise wherever I can!

Also, Chai has decided on Ken's money-making skill so we'll need to pick a non-vacation lot to add the skilling object.

Thank you for the clarifications! Off to buy the cooler!!!

Offline Nindigo

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »
Regarding rule #3 ...cats can't be trained commands that I'm aware of :-\
A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
Regarding rule #3 ...cats can't be trained commands that I'm aware of :-\

@Nindigo  Have to confess really made this challenge with dogs in mind. If cats can't be trained at all then a dog will have to be the teens pet of choice. Let me know if cats can't be trained etc as I still haven't had a chance to play with cats at all yet. If you don't want to play it with a dog, then continue with a cat doing what challenges/requirements you can. After all this is super casual and meant for fun. (I'll change the rules to reflect this is meant for dogs if the whole cat-thing is a stumbling block.)

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »
Oooooh, I am totally doing this one.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
Since cats cannot be trained commands like a dog can, what about a different requirement that would require an equivalent investment of time?
What comes to mind are the four plants that affect feline moods: catnip (energetic), madnip (angry), napnip (sleepy), and nuzzlenip (flirty).

Hmmmm, that doesn't really work, does it? If a specific size garden of these four plants (grown or harvested, not bought) evolved to a certain quality level were required, the cat owner might as well do Freelance Botanist.
I think I'm going to try it. :D

Still, i have no idea what an equivalent time investment would be.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 06:38:25 PM »
@oshizu, nether do I. I guess it's going to have to be a dog challenge then.  ::) I've changed the rules to reflect this. Thank you to yourself and @Nindigo  for helping me fine-tune this. :)