Author Topic: Martial Arts Tourney  (Read 8132 times)

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
Martial Arts Tourney
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:37:59 AM »
Hi, I have a sim who has an opportunity to become the Grand Master in tourneys. I read that he needs to use his cell phone and call a sim over for a match. My only problem is that there is no option for a tourney match. My only options on the call are: send love letter, invite household over, invite out, invite over, texting (friendly, admirer, pic, or insulting), and chat. No options to invite over for tourney or tourney opponent. Does he need to win some spars first?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Martial Arts Tourney
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »
You might try winning some spar matches first to see if that helps. I haven't done anything with Martial Arts in a long time, but it may help traveling to China to spar there as well. Just remember to save the game before traveling. We don't want the game to eat your Sim for dinner. ;)
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
The option to invite the next opponent over for a match only works in China. You can spar etc in your homeworld and I believe in the other holiday destinations and uni/ITF world but you can't compete in the tournament outside of China.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »
LOL Mrs Flynn! To both of you though, this is in China. I'll try having him win a few spars and see if the option appears.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 11:16:57 AM »
I thought you'd get a laugh out of that. Dek is right, tournaments can only be done in China, sadly, but you can spar in your home world and in other destinations. I remember having a couple of mine spar together. It was cute watching them.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:06:58 PM »
As I said, this is in China. I'm wondering something though. This thought crossed my mind. I wonder if he would have to have the Sim Fu King skill challenge met to be able to invite a sim to a tourney match. At any rate, I have him doing some sparring. I'll wait and see if he gets the opportunity.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:28:15 PM »
I'm not sure if they have to have the skill maxed to be able to invite a sim to a tournament. I want to say no, but then again I'm not for sure.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 09:34:10 PM »
I have just remembered something re the tournament. There is a minimum Martial Arts Skill you have to have before you can start in the tournament. I remember getting a pop up message telling me that your sim is now sufficiently skilled to be able to enter the tournament.

I looked up Carl's guide and the Sims Wikia and found the details needed:

After reaching level 4 in the skill, they can enter one of Shang Simla's Martial Arts tournaments. To enter a tournament, pick up the phone and choose 'Challenge Spar Tournament Contender'. Now a rival can be chosen and declare a 'Ranked Sparring Match'. After the match, the Sim may even advance a rank!

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Martial_Arts

Does your sim have at least level 4 Martial Arts skill?

There is no need for him to have completed the Sim Fu King skill challenge before challenging a sim to a tourney, however. The good thing is that tourney bouts count towards the 75 bouts needed for Sim Fu King.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 10:17:50 PM »
That is definitely odd b/c he is maxed out in the skill. Maybe it could be mod related?

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 10:34:07 PM »
Mods could be the issue. I've never had issues with issuing challenges to the next competitor, but I don't use mods.

Are you making the calls from the Phoenix Martial Arts Academy location or somewhere else in China? If somewhere else, you might want to try from that location before removing mods etc. MrsFlynn should be able to advise on the recommended process for removing mods and seeing if that has an impact.

Another thing - Martial Arts Tournament matches seems to have a similar process to Chess Tournament matches. If one of your sims in China has logic skill, you could try to see if they can successfully get a Chess Tournament match started - there's a chess set at the base camp location in China that I've recently been able to successfully hold multiple matches of the chess tournament at.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 11:54:09 PM »
I just tried the chess thing. He is lev 5 logic, but on his cell phone he cannot invite any chess opponent so something is wonky somewhere. I cancelled out the Dong Huo quest. I'm going to try removing a couple of mods though. I've successfully had chess tourneys before. I recently d/led a "children can (learn all skills) book series and I'm just  wondering. Otherwise, I could use Delphy's Conflict Detector to see what that says.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »
Your Sim not able to use his phone is a bit concerning. That tells me something maybe glitched in your game. Like Dek said, check over your mods to see if any need to be updated. I think I saw that some of Nraas mods have been updated recently.

Also, you might try resetting/evicting your Sim to see if that might help get the phone to work again.

Reset Town, Individual Sims and/or Evict Household
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg401812#msg401812

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »
I feel like a HUGE dummy now! I was clicking on the thumbnails of his contacts. I clicked on the phone itself and the option is there. : /

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »
At least the phone seems to be working now, that's a good thing. :)

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »
It always was, LOL  It helps to click on the right thing. Most of the time anyway. I discovered that there are times when the phone needs to be repaired too. Thanks for bearing w/my short comings!

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
Pleased it all worked out for you ... and you didn't delete any of your mods! Wait, you found out you were clicking the wrong thing before deleting any mods, didn't you?

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »
Yes, I did Dek, LOL

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 08:00:09 PM »
I have a question though. I clicked on "call sim," then on "challenge spar tournament contender," and it asked if I wanted to challenge (or something like that) a sim (Ai Pei in this case). He eventually showed up at the academy where my sim was, but he was in his normal clothes. I waited for a min and nothing happened. I finally decided to greet him and then spar. Now, the game has decided to assign him as a paparazzi and I can't challenge him! After this, the selection on the phone is still grayed out saying that my sim's "current  sparring tournament challenger is already on the lot. Is this normal or is it broken? I tried resetting him and now even though I make the call, he does not show up and I can repeatedly make the call w/o him showing. What do I do to unbreak this or to remove the "paparazzi" role from him???

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 08:11:36 PM »
That sounds like the game may have hiccuped, due to the game assigning the other guy as paparazzi. Do you maybe have a recent backup save you can go back to? Or we can wait to see what Dek has to say. :)

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 08:43:05 PM »
I used the backup and don't have any others. I went back to this back up b/c it seemed as though the quest hiccuped. I'll go back to that one and see what happens. Even when I reset him (the "opponent"), I can click on that option again, but it is totally fixated on that one sim and only him. : / I'll let you know how the other version goes.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 09:11:49 PM »
Sigh! That one is definitely broken as well. It was the one for the lost monk artifact. My sim got the artifact, but was unable to deliver it. The option was not there when I clicked on the recipient nor was it available above his moodlets. I think I give up for now!

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »
That has happened to me in the past, Sonshine, with both that and the chess tournament. If the sim who is doing the tournament is a celebrity, the game will often assign the sim coming over as a paparazzi, especially if they are an additional person assigned to the place. I have never found a way around it short of leaving China, and coming back at a later time, which I know isn't ideal. Also, as I said, if you don't have a celebrity doing the martial arts tournament, I don't think there is any chance of the next opponent being a paparazzi.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 12:33:49 AM »
My problem Dek, is that the "opponent" is only semi assigned to being a paparazzi. I didn't think of checking his celeb status. When I checked his stats, it said that he was a resident. The paparazzi are not residents. Also, I had no other options for opponents. I cancelled the monk relic quest although as you said, I could have just left and come back to china.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 01:48:16 AM »
I don't know if this would help, but would turning off the celeb system help? I usually turn off the celeb system so not to have to deal with the celeb stuffs. Paparazzi still are in game, but they don't seem to do anything.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »
Have you tried using nraas register to disallow paparazzi?  Do that, and use master controller to reset the sim.  You will need the cheat module.  I bet that would fix your problem with the tournament. 

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 02:36:43 PM »
 Thanks MrsFlynn and Christina! I just learned from Igazor on nraas form the use Register to disallow them. I'm going to try it. Also we'll see what happens when I go back to China. My sim is working on his visa in Egypt now.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »
Good to know.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 04:46:51 PM »
Yay!! I was wondering about Nraas's Register if it still had the option to disallow Paparazzi or not. Thank you for checking on that.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »
Well, if you end up in France, and your adventure board doesn't work, install traveler too.  I can never get the 2 big adventures there without it.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 02:19:26 AM »
Hi, I've been trying to start the MA tourney, but it seems to be broken. The first time I did it (call sim/challenge...." the contender showed up and I had my sim spar w/him, but it ended suddenly and the other sim was assigned the role as a paparazzi. I asked over at nraas about that and was advised to use Register to turn off role assigning. I did that and the part about role assigning worked, but when the opponent  shows up and I have my sim spar w/him, it doesn't count towards to the tourney score. I can't call any other sims b/c it says my "current contender is already on the lot." If I reset him, then I can still only call the one sim. There are many sims who have MA so I don't know what's happening.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 03:33:20 AM »
Occasionally the sim after the one you have already fought will be on the lot already, in which case, it is a matter of finding the next sim by clicking on sims on the lot until you get the option of challenge <Name of Sim> to a fight to the death (or something similar). I have had that happen to me a number of times with the martial arts tournament (more often than the chess tournament, but still occasionally with the chess tournament (when I am at France/China/Egypt trying to complete the chess tournament.

The rank doesn't increase with each sim fought in the tourney, sometimes it can take two or three fights before your rank increases (just like the chess tournament). The Sims Wiki page on the martial arts skill says that your sim MAY rise in rank after a ranked bout. See: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Martial_Arts

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »
Thanks Dek, I wasn't looking at the rank but at the score of losses/wins. The msg about "fight to the death or shame" only came up once and that was when the opponent was assigned as a paparazzi. I'll try clicking on each sim and see what happens.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 08:34:33 PM »
Well, I finally got it! I clicked on the contender and it came up "challenge spar contender" or something like that. I now have 5 wins in my score. I guess I'm just a slow learner.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 12:34:58 AM »
Do any of you know how long I need to wait for a different opponent if the current one does not work? I called the next opponent and she is pregnant of all things and can't spar. No idea why a pregnant sim is not disabled.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 01:44:08 AM »
I think the best way might be to return home, wait for the time that the game doesn't permit you to return to a holiday world and come again, from memory that resets the next opponent. Of course, there may be a mod that does that or similar to that on a quicker scale, but I don't use mods, so I'm not sure. Alternatively, you could try to have the pregnant lady join your family, if you have the space for her and the nooboo, of course.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
Thanks Dek! I don't have the space at all. At least not now. I'm waiting for the oldest member of the family to kick the bucket. He just keeps hanging on and hanging on though, lol I'll just take him home and then wait.