Author Topic: Moving the game and packs to another drive  (Read 3924 times)

Offline commasplice

• Occult
Moving the game and packs to another drive
« on: February 22, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »
Soooo my main desktop drive is on the full side. It probably doesn't help that I have a lot of cc.

I have a pretty big data drive that has nothing in it.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I move the game, EPs, stuff packs, game packs to that?
2. Will I need to uninstall/reinstall to do it?
3. Will I lose my saved games if I do?
4. What else should I be considering before attempting this?

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
Re: Moving the game and packs to another drive
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »
1. Yes
2. Yes if you move the whole game over, No if all you move is the EA folder in documents.  If you use windows 10 then it is possible to move all your user data off C and onto another drive (mine is on D) leaving the game installation on C. If you do this then you will need to change some settings in windows 10 to tell it where to look for your documents, pictures, music etc. Probably easiest to web search for instructions, there are plenty of sites out there that will tell you how.
3. Shouldn't do but ...
4. ...always create a back up of your important stuff first.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 05:23:57 PM »
Okay, this is helpful

I have Windows 7 still.

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:43:39 PM »
A quick search of the web suggests win 7 should also be able to have documents transfered to a different drive, but again I suggest browsing and reading a few 'how to' pages to make sure you know what to do.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 01:03:33 AM »
Yes, you can change the install location via Origin.
- If you want to change where the game gets installed do this:

1. Click on the Origin Menu (upper left corner of the client)

2. Select Application Settings > Install & Saves tab

3. In the On your Computer location of this tab, you can change the location that the game gets installed.

2. Maybe, depends on if step 1 doesn't work, but step 1 should work.

3. No you won't loose your Sims 4 folder if you back it up first. - Basically back up your Sims 4 folder to a USB drive. This will make sure you won't loose any saves or anything in the Mods or Tray folders.

4. There shouldn't be anything else to consider. It should be pretty simple to change the install location via Origin with the photos above.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 07:08:23 AM »
Yes, you can change the install location via Origin.
- If you want to change where the game gets installed do this:

1. Click on the Origin Menu (upper left corner of the client)

2. Select Application Settings > Install & Saves tab

3. In the On your Computer location of this tab, you can change the location that the game gets installed.

2. Maybe, depends on if step 1 doesn't work, but step 1 should work.

3. No you won't loose your Sims 4 folder if you back it up first. - Basically back up your Sims 4 folder to a USB drive. This will make sure you won't loose any saves or anything in the Mods or Tray folders.

4. There shouldn't be anything else to consider. It should be pretty simple to change the install location via Origin with the photos above.

Do I then move the EA folder that’s in documents over too?

Offline HelenP

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
The game looks for saves, screenshots, mods etc in the default location for documents.  For most people the is C:\users\<username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4.  If you just move the EA or Sims folder to a new location the game will generate a new folder in the original place.  If you want though, you can move your entire Documents folder (including sub-folders) to the other drive.

To move your C:\users\<username>\Documents folder, navigate to the folder, right click and open properties.  There should be a set of tabs across the top of the dialog box, one of which is 'Location'. In the location tab click on 'move' and a dialog box will ask you to choose the folder you want to move everything to.  It may be easier if you have already set up a suitable folder on the new drive. Click OK and all your data should be moved over.  The C:\users\<username> folder will still have a documents folder but it should be empty or only have a desktop.ini file in it, the new location will have all your stuff and your programmes should find your files with no problem.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline commasplice

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
You guys are awesome. Thank you so much @HelenP and MrsFlynn