Author Topic: Need Advice on a New Computer (I am completely technologically challenged)  (Read 1170 times)

Offline KIERSI

• Nooboo
Alright, so I'm 20 and a full-time college student with a somewhat tight budget, but I need a new computer to play the sims 3. I only play - or played I guess - the sims 3 (with almost all expansion backs, no stuff packs or mods, and very limited CC and store content) on my HP pavillion dv6 (just to give you an idea of how awful of a computer it was). I used that laptop for over five years and it has finally accumulated enough heat damage that it's forever dead and now I have no way to play.

I have a budget of 500ish (maybe a little more) dollars and am looking to get a good desktop for the kind of playing I do that will last. I'm the most average player ever and don't do much else besides the basics when playing. I know next to NOTHING about computers - probably even less than that - and was wondering if someone could recommend me a desktop that would be good for the kind of playing I do. It doesn't have to do anything other than play the sims as I have a mac laptop I use for everything else. If someone could help I would be SO appreciative!

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
This is more than $500, but you're not going to find much for that price that will be a good gaming rig.

Acer Aspire Gaming Desktop
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Desktop-Processor-GeForce-GX-281-UR11/dp/B0722GKVTK
Price: $599.99

- AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics with 2GB GDDR5
- 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
- 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Acer is probably about the best you can buy.  I am still using mine, came with a mini tower and was only 359.00, but that was 6 years ago.  I just bought an Acer gaming computer from Amazon, but while I was shopping, I did come across a few under 500.  Just stay away from integrated graphics on the new one.  I prefer Nvidia, but this one has a Radeon and I have all games, except for one stuff pack, but I have noticed I have had to turn my graphics down more and more and I prefer to use higher graphics.  For the price, it has been an awesome computer, but I really wanted another one, since this one is a few years old.  You can find some good ones in that price range.  The one MrsFlynn suggested is probably as good as your going to find.  Amazon is the best bet.  Good luck on finding one.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline KIERSI

• Nooboo
Thank you so much! Honestly, I knew this was going to be an investment but I'd rather spend 600-700 now and know it'll last than pay 300 on a crappy laptop that'll die in a few years.

Thank you again! I'm going to take your suggestion and go with that acer - it's the best advice I've gotten so far.