Author Topic: Baby Boomer 2018  (Read 12656 times)

Offline Isabelalabe

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Baby Boomer 2018
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2018, 08:54:09 PM »
9 YA    OUT  = 45
  1 YA    IN    =   4
  1 Teen IN    =   3
  2Child IN    =   4
 2 tod in = 2

Total = 58

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2018, 10:58:37 PM »
The 2018 version of Adam and Eve Boomer parented:

17 Young Adults who moved out = 85 points
  3 Young Adults still living at home = 12 points
  2 Toddlers still working on skills  = 2 points

Total score = 99 points

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 12:07:40 AM »
Papa sim won't age up for another sim-day, but Mama sim won't give birth by then, so their score is:
17 young adults moved out (17 x 5) =   85 points
  5 young adults at home     ( 5 x 4) =   20 points
                                           TOTAL = 105 points

Offline BallerinaHippo

• Immortal
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 12:31:30 AM »
Barely got this done, but I was not going to miss this challenge (I'm in Mountain Time zone so it's 10:30pm)

Young Adults out: 10
Young Adult in : 1
Teens:  2
Toddler: 1

10x5=50
1x4=   4
2x3=   6
1x1=   1
Total: 61

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:56 AM »
This event is now closed. Wow! Great participation that last day, guys. So many scores posted on Sunday, I love to see that. :) oshizu comes in at the 11th hour yesterday and takes it all. Great job to her. Can't remember if this is her first win...it might be. Thanks to all the participants. Everyone is now free to discuss strategy.

Offline Tynynounours

• Occult
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2018, 12:37:07 PM »
Congratulations Oshizu! And everyone else too.

For once, I found the planning stage fun. I made the list of all aspirations available, and classed them depending on difficulty + necessary skill if there was one.
Lot traits were private dwelling and ley line, so nearly all birth were twins. By trying as soon one spot was available + pregnancy test, babies were coming with regularity.
The birthday cakes were reused and put in family inventory in between.

The house was in newcrest, so they had the pirate ship and monkey bar availables, and they were next to the fishing spot.
I made a family club, with activities depending on what I wanted the house member to do, and after a while, nothing at all.

Toddlers were usually given the clingy trait, not sure if it made a lot of difference, but the parents were working with them as often as possible. hightchair naps were the only timee they would ever sleep.

For children, my first choice of aspiration was the creativity one, or social butterfly. But some got others depending on the expected boost (rambuctious scamp for bodybuilder and the one who'll learn wellness as unique skill, whiz kid for one who'll be a computer whiz.) For social butterfly, the adventurer club was good, I just had to add the available kids that were spawned.

The parenthood pack was powerfull and I bought school project for every kid and teen. school project+homework+focused spirit (discuss cognitive method/ponder chess move/study fossil) + focused club vibe at the max+ work hard was enough to get B in one day.

Teen : the B as child would give an automatic level 2 job, so they phoned for it once the B as teen is achieved and never actually went to it. The bff was often be secured during childhood if they were doing social butterfly, but they could do it between sibling, so it was usually quick. Once again, school projects helped to get the B in one day, even if the bar was usually often half filled. they usually had a level 2 skill when growing up, usually violin, but the projects helped getting close when they hadn't.

I kept some aspirations for the end, like the mansion baron and the fabulously wealthy. Also, the mother painted when there was no babies or toddlers, so I kept most paintings to sell at that stage, and the father gardened and fished; so at the end of the challenge, it was possible to nearly insta-complete the gardening aspiration once I had a grown cowplant, and lillies were great to make money.

I also stayed away from some aspirations that were linked to works, as I didn't planned enough to know the career work hours, and sometimes, there was several days to wait, so I had my future mixologist finally become a serial romantic, and my first supposed joke star became a friend of the world for that reason too.

All in all, it was a very fun challenge.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2018, 01:09:53 PM »
@Metropolis Man
This is my second first. Two years ago, I won the Restaurant Wars challenge--mainly, I'm convinced, due to its very, very low participation.
I placed third in the last two Baby Boomer challenges, though, so I'm beyond thrilled today!

Starting:
Moved to Newcrest's Avarice Acres (like in 2017).
I surrounded their home in southern Newcrest with potentially useful community lots that my sims never visited, lol.

Traits:
Home: Private Dwelling, On Ley Line, Good Schools (when no kids in school, this changed to speed up whatever skills needed boosting)
Parents: Loves the Outdoors, Music Lover, Family-Oriented
Kids: Lots of kids with Loves the Outdoors and Music Lover; third trait depended on their teen aspiration

Parents' Specializations
Like last year, my parents took a similar "Wonder Child Challenge" approach but without the Creative/Genius traits.
One reigned over the Inspired Room, while the other took charge of the Focused Room.

Moving Out the Chillun
The parents helped future children to move out faster by:
*Both completing the Big Happy Family asap
*Mastering skills that they could mentor later
*Preparing for future aspirations (garden, novels, rocket, wealth)
*Helping with homework/assisting with school project

Other Comments
*The Wishing Well helped now and then with same-day grade promotions
*Before moving out, every kid spent all their satisfaction points on moodlet solvers, focused potions, and inspired potions. These reward potions were left with the parents.
*I had one Whiz Kid and one Social Butterfly. Partway through, all the kids became Rambunctious Scamps because it's fastest (unless they'd have an Inspired teen aspiration).
*Certain teen aspirations were scheduled for teens who would age up to YA on a particular time of the week.
  For example, Computer Whiz, JokeStar, and Master Mixologist required a YA who could work weekdays.
*The two longest aspirations to complete:
  - 2nd place: Computer Whiz due to 100 hrs on computer (programming or Chat with...)
  - 1st place: Best-Selling Author took over a week. My author even had a 4-hr Writer's Block once. He wrote his third best-seller on Wednesday of Week 4.
*Deciding the sequence to work on teen aspirations made perhaps the biggest difference in speed.

I really love this challenge, but potty training was the least enoyable part, haha.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 09:54:22 PM »
Go @oshizu!!  Awesome job!  I just couldn't get those last two toddlers past the potty training!  I agree that it's the least fun part of this challenge.

I did a lot of the same things as @Tynynounours and @oshizu, but a few things I don't see:
-  In my planning I lined up the aspirations and skills that would go together - some were obvious, some not, and I moved some around as I played.  But for aspirations that had no obvious skill, I chose something that could be mentored as much as possible.
-  I hired a violinist right off the bat, added him to the Boomer Club, made playing the violin a club activity, and locked him in a room with some inspiring non-usable items and a violin.  I made playing violin a boosted club activity to raise his skill quicker.  Every so often I pulled a violin out of family inventory and had a family member play it and check to see if he could mentor yet. Occasionally I saw the little broken heart in his thoughts, but I pretended not to notice. ;)  Once he mentored that skill, I let him go.  Then I hired a pianist, and the same guy came back, so apparently he didn't mind being locked in a room with only an instrument for days and days.
-  For Renaissance Sim, I used all mentorable skills, but only to level 8, except Handiness, which was the unique skill for that sim. I lost some time on this one because I didn't realize that skill books don't count toward the number of books read, so my sim spent a lot of time reading the logic book when reading a fun book would have been faster and being mentored in logic would have grown the skill faster.
-  I built out the house enough to get Mansion Baron very early, and then sold off one column - as each child aged up, I assigned the aspiration they'd really do to get the trait that came with it, but then immediately switched them to Mansion Baron.  That got them most of the points for that immediately and let me buy whatever rewards would be best - mostly Night Owl and Morning Sim, but Connections for anyone who needed to get a job for their aspiration, Incredibly Friendly for Friend of the World, etc.
-  My first child was an adopted boy with the Serial Romantic aspiration - he Tried for Baby with all of his girlfriends, and there were 9 because for some reason the game didn't count one of them - the goal was to get Mom and Dad grandkids for Big Happy Family.  Every girlfriend had twins and one had triplets - 19 kids in all.  Since I had no control over those moms to have them listen to kids' music, watch kids' tv, get the fertile reward, or get Fertility Massages, I'm thinking doing all that with my mom might have been wasted effort/time.  Perhaps Ley Line is all that's needed for twins every time.  But I wasn't willing to risk it and got the Fertility Massage every time.  My mom (Eve Boomer) skilled up wellness and gave a Fertility massage to dad (Adam Boomer) just because she could.  But they never had triplets - just twins every time - almost always a boy and a girl. 
-  For the kids that needed a job, I got them Connections and had them join and quit all the careers.  I kept some of the emotion-inducing items, but sold a lot of them.
-  I set my Seasons setting at 28 days per season (which kept the whole challenge in one season) and started in Summer - in my practice I discovered that it will still rain in Spring, sometimes a lot, on Mysterious Weather days even with Rain and Snow options of "None".  It never rained during the challenge with these settings; it got really hot some days but since the temperature effect on sims wasn't enabled, they didn't care.  The only reason I even noticed the weather was because my sims occasionally changed autonomously into their hot weather clothes, so I made sure those were extra-cute.  (As opposed to the who-cares winter outfits that they never wore.)  Also, no holidays were added to the calendar by the game after the first week or so - I think I only had to cancel 2 holidays in the first week and a half and no more spawned, so managing that was easy.  Overall, the experience was very much like not having seasons. 
-  I made extensive use of the Wishing Well for school advancement and job promotion - I made sure all the tasks were done, and had my sim drink a Moodlet Solver before wishing.  If the Wishing Well wasn't already happy, gave him a $5000 offering. In that situation, the response was almost always green or white (green = advancement after next school day or work shift; white = immediate advancement).  I had my sim wish as soon as possible so there'd be time to wish again if need be.  If they got the green the first time, meaning the bar was full and the box was checked, they often got the white when they wished again. So several of my kids never had to go to school.

Now a couple questions:
@Tynynounours - is there anything special you do with gardening?  I didn't even try that because ever since Seasons came out I really struggle with getting my plant quality up.  But you were able to get to Excellent in a little over 3 weeks.  What fertilizer do you use?  Do you leave everything in a greenhouse?  Or do you move the plants that are "In season" outside?  Do you use Patchy to help?  Does he maybe have magic fertilizer?  I used to love gardening in Sims, which is funny since I don't like it at all in real life, but since Seasons came out, I don't like it much in Sims either.  Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

@oshizu - we moved out the same number of kids, but I didn't try the Writing Aspiration, so I'm wondering what aspiration I did that you didn't.  Computer Whiz was my longest and Musical Genius was second, although not terrible since she was a Creative Prodigy as a child and other than the drawings and toys that the aspiration required, advanced that skill playing the violin.  I did Renaissance Sim, which was faster than I expected with all the mentoring and mom or dad in the room.  I also did Grilled Cheese, which is really fast since they don't have to eat the entire grilled cheese serving for it to count.  I just had to get ol' Dominic Fyres in the swimming pool at the right time to get Grim there when I needed him.  ;)  Did you do both of those?

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 09:56:32 PM »
Congratulations on winning Baby boomer 2018 @oshizu 8).

Great strategies @oshizu @GlazeyLady and @Tynynounours!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2018, 01:41:36 AM »
@GlazeyLady
Regarding your question about which aspirations, I couldn't do Friend of the World.
One of the kids did Leader of the Pack early on, which required Level 5 Charisma. Thoughtlessly, I just had her use Charisma for her unique skill.
That eliminated Friend of the World from my pool of available aspirations.
I also didn't do Serial Romantic...I was 3-4 hours away from the Sunday midnight deadline and couldn't be bothered (toddler burnout).
Compared to you, the two aspirations I did instead seem to be Best-Selling Author and Freelance Botanist.

Also, I'm wondering why reading skill books didn't work for your Nerd Brain and Renaissance Sim aspirations.
My Nerd Brain and Renaissance Sim kids always read skill books for these aspirations.
If your Nerd Brain wanted to boost only Logic, though, your sim would need to buy at least two different vol. 1 Logic skill books.

I didn't do anything special with the Violin/Piano skills, because nannies always come with the ability to mentor one or more musical instruments.
In this game, my sims' nanny could mentor Violin and Piano.

@coolsim9999999
Thanks!

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2018, 04:50:00 AM »
Not much for me to add to the already greatly explained strategies.

Most important for my strategy was planning out the aspirations and skills. I tried do give each second child and long aspiration, so that I would work though them all without being stuck with only long in the end.
The most important was a steady flow of children in the household, I never had more than twins, no matter what I tried.

And then ofcause the Wishing Well was a key factor, just like GlazeyLady wrote it.

Congratulations on all the great scores.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2018, 05:08:01 AM »
Nice additions to the already awesome strategies!  Great job on your score, too, Lena 8).

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2018, 05:22:50 AM »
@LenaLJ

I agree with you about the multiple births! Even with the On Ley Line lot trait, the Fertile reward trait for both parents, and fertility massages, my mother sim never managed to have triplets.
Maybe she needed to watch Kids Network on TV? She never did, but she at least had twins every time.
Or, is watching Kid Networks an old wives' tale that actually only worked in The Sims 3? I note that @GlazeyLady never had triplets, either...

Hugs and cookies to everyone who participated!

Offline Tynynounours

• Occult
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2018, 07:59:58 AM »
@GlazeyLady I set my season to summer/28day and I picked the lillies that were next to the house, bluebells, and chrysanthemum.

I wasn't sure having the parents spend time learningg mentorable skills would be worth it or a lack of time, so I planted the lillies, and used the large fishes (tuna mostly) I caught next to the house to get them to excellent. It worked in about three weeks, since the gardener was the second adopted kid from the third week.
I put some "ready to evolves" plants in family inventory for the potential gardener, and in the last week, I also had a bee box, but several plants were at the magnificent stage. Fishing was a good way to get the father away from the house, and have one less sim to worry about.
I'm not sure where the cow plant seed came from, maybe fishing, it was what took the longest.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2018, 12:02:36 PM »
@GlazeyLady
Also, I'm wondering why reading skill books didn't work for your Nerd Brain and Renaissance Sim aspirations.
My Nerd Brain and Renaissance Sim kids always read skill books for these aspirations.
If your Nerd Brain wanted to boost only Logic, though, your sim would need to buy at least two different vol. 1 Logic skill books.

@coolsim9999999
Thanks!

Maybe I didn't go far enough - I thought this worked, but I went until the book no longer gave skill gain and it still hadn't registered as 1 book read.  It took a long time to get that far, so I guess even if I'd bought the next book and gotten it to count, it wasn't the most efficient way overall to advance in that aspiration.

@GlazeyLady

I didn't do anything special with the Violin/Piano skills, because nannies always come with the ability to mentor one or more musical instruments.
In this game, my sims' nanny could mentor Violin and Piano.

@coolsim9999999
Thanks!

I'd never used a nanny until I saw everyone else doing that in Sharebears and so I hired one in that game but haven't gotten very far.  That's good info about the ability to mentor - thank you!  I didn't think about using a nanny in this game, although now that seems like a no-brainer!  :)

@GlazeyLady I set my season to summer/28day and I picked the lillies that were next to the house, bluebells, and chrysanthemum.

I wasn't sure having the parents spend time learningg mentorable skills would be worth it or a lack of time, so I planted the lillies, and used the large fishes (tuna mostly) I caught next to the house to get them to excellent. It worked in about three weeks, since the gardener was the second adopted kid from the third week.
I put some "ready to evolves" plants in family inventory for the potential gardener, and in the last week, I also had a bee box, but several plants were at the magnificent stage. Fishing was a good way to get the father away from the house, and have one less sim to worry about.
I'm not sure where the cow plant seed came from, maybe fishing, it was what took the longest.

Thank you @Tynynounours - I'll have to give gardening another try - I have a sim doing it in a legacy game right now and it's taking forever to evolve the plants, but I haven't been paying that much attention to what I fertilize with.  I did see on Carl's guide that bigger fish are better, so I'll have to try that. 

anything