Author Topic: Ranking the Best Money-Making Activities  (Read 241954 times)

Offline jestina

• Occult
Re: Ranking the Best Money-Making Activities
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2010, 06:13:38 PM »
Hmmm...so you buy the person's paintings...then wall them in and fire up the grills. Sounds like a new form of entertainment for my black widow.

Sorry, but you're worth more dead, so I have to kill you now.  :D

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
I have so go to learn how to make as much money as you Esther!
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Leto85

« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »
I was playing yesterday and it was jumping! I showed you that screenshot, and it was taken yesterday! When I play in a little bit, I'll keep watching but as of last night it did.

It definitely jumped. I know I'm not seeing things! I usually put all the paintings in one treasure chest, then when I get the message they died, I take it out and put it in my inventory than after midnight, it's definitely more valuable then it was before midnight!

Okay! Then maybe I could consider the mistake about not aging up paintings after dying as a false alarm or some bug that has been fixed.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Wow, that money score on guitar is gut wrenching.  Lol, at what point do you just stick your Sim in a corner and hash out a motherlode every few hours?  You'd probably be making less, lol!

Although I do gotta say, best money/time ratio is without a doubt photography.

Data: Base sim, lvl 10 photography.  Trait: Photographer's eye.  Skill challenges completed: photolog, shutternut, architectural eye.

Simply put, the benefit of photography is you're not logging simoleon scores by the hour, but by the minute.  It is the least time constrained money maker possible.

Scenario:  Vacationing Shang Simla.  first thing in the morning, from the vantage point of my balcony: boom, Dragon Cove (4,300); boom, Academy (2,200); boom, chinese garden (2,200); boom, my jade figurines set (1,800 - I keep them set out on a coffee table on the balcony). 10,500 simoleons in the scope of about ten minutes.

Now the kick-back, of course, is that this will be my most lucrative ten minutes of the day.  My 10,500 in ten minutes does not equate to 63,000 in an hour.  And while the day WILL offer me a few more good cash-ins, from just buzzing around home and town (Chinese Market, Vase set, etc.), y revenue stream  for the day as pretty much plateaued at this point.

But the back drop to all this, is if you don't try to force yourself beyond the plateau, point blank your Sim is only working 10 minutes a day.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Leto85

« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »
Nice info you are sharing danefaith. Newby or not, you are showing that you know what you are talking about. Eighterway, welcome to the forum.

Noobertuber

« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2010, 01:28:11 AM »
Having recently played a painter, I have come to the conclusion that the score of 821 simoleans an hour is not entirely accurate, and can be increased if you paint large paintings. At max painting, with no perfectionist trait and speed painter challenge completed, a small painting takes 90 minutes from start to finish. A large painting takes 240 minutes. The max recorded value, (To my knowledge) of a large painting is about 5000. The max recorded for a small painting is about 1700. The math:

LT = large time
ST = small time
LV = large (initial selling) value
SV = small (initial selling) value

LT/ST = 2.66666666...
2.66666 * 1700 = 4533

The conclusion: Minute for minute large paintings are significantly better. Also, considering the VAST amount of money one can earn through painting opportunities (From the deliver 15 paintings one I earned over 315K, with opportunistic.) and considering that the amount of money earned is based on the value of the painting given (Multiplied by anywhere from 2.5 to 4 (without opportunistic)) large is clearly better. So, perhaps the MPH should be revised somewhat, no?

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
Yeah, maybe large painting are a bit better when you look at simoleans/hour. But, one flaw in your research is you're only looking at max value for both sizes. Do you know how many painters I've played in the last year? Wanna know how many large paintings I've done that were worth $5k right off the easel? It's ultra rare. So, a better way to approach this research is to write down how much money you make over a large amount of time, like 12 or 16 hours. And to do it for several days. Then you get a great idea of what really can be made per hour at an activity. I'll revisit the large size for better data at a later date. Right now, I've got too much on my plate, but I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2010, 11:52:10 PM »
Nope. I just did a very quick informal test with my da Vinci Challenge character since he's done with that challenge and at least for a 24-hour period with static needs on I could not match or beat the small canvas results listed on p. 1. He pumped out exactly 6 large sized paintings in 24 hours — it was a nice mix of 2 masterpieces, 2 brilliants, and 2 standards — so very typical of real world results in the day to day life of a painter. He sold them for $17,930 which computes to $747/hr.

Noobertuber

« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »
One question, about how much were the paintings worth on average?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »
Almost 3k — $17,930/6 = $2988.

Noobertuber

« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »
Ah.... That would explain it. With my painter I'm painting large paintings at an average of about 4k. Very rarely, I paint one below 3k. Its interesting, painting seems like writing in the regard that you can only train so much before reaching a limit.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
Hmm, sadly my vacation in Egyptian wasn't as lucrative as I thought it would be.

My daily photo prices were:

Great Sphinx:  2,335
Pyramid:         2,745
Gold Figurines: 2,451

These were all taken from the vantage point of Oceanview Estate.  the Acacia Palace, Pomegranate House and the Almond Tree House also have clear views of both the Pyramid and the Sphinx.

However, only the Oceanview Estate grants you an easy 40 minute walk to Abu Simbel, which cashes in at 3,225 daily shot.

So either 7551 for 5 sim minutes work, or 10,774 for about 45 minutes work.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

phufhi

« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this, but i think it fits good enough
(yea, I'm a nooby :P).

It looks like writing hasn't really been researched, but it's probably better than painting.
(if I'm wrong, please correct me) (I think this is true because Metro states he expects higher for writing)
However, what is the correct strategy to earn the most money in the long term?
(I read the pages in the guide about writing, but it doesn't say anything specific, like what genre is best and how much I have to read books).
Also, because the value of the paintings increase over time, could painting potentially be better than stated in the first post?
For example if you have a little competition with your friends, and you wait till the deadline (the deadline is when you compare the money and see who won) before you sell most of your paintings.

Thanks in advance,

Phufhi

EDIT: I would also like to note that I don't have the 'Ambitions' expansion

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »
Welcome to the forums, Phufhi! I think I read somewhere that children's books are the best in money versus time. Especially if you (the sim) have read 50 books. Without Ambitions, you can't use the consignment shop, but I agree that if you wait for awhile before selling the paintings, it's better because after Level 5, they appreciate a little every day.

phufhi

« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »
another question:
does the perfectionist trait increase or decrease the amount of money per hour?
(for writing and painting mostly)