Author Topic: 2019 Mid-Season Major: Striving for Major Achievements  (Read 13853 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: 2019 Mid-Season Major: Striving for Major Achievements
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2019, 06:12:58 AM »
This challenge is now closed. Congratulations to Lena on a last minute entry and ultimately the win. :) Participation was pretty good in this one -- lots of entries, so I think players had a good time trying many different things to get those juicy achievements. Thanks, everyone. Feel free to now share your strategies.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2019, 06:30:12 AM »
Hey congrats @LenaLJ last minute wins are always impressive, I thought about joining in myself until I realized I had less than two weeks left and decided against it, I hate being rushed.

I had to take a break from Sims, after the Celebrities in the last challenge drove me up the wall, I wanted to play in this challenge but I got caught up in Stardew Valley again lol. Good news though, the devs have made Celebrities less annoying, maybe I can finally step foot inside Del Sol Valley again. :P

More good news, I'm back and entering the Stay-at-Home Parent challenge despite still having flashbacks from the Rug Rats challenge of last year, lol.  :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2019, 10:21:06 AM »
Congrats to everyone who participated in this challenge, and especially to @LenaLJ and @Tuija for those top scores.  This one can take a lot of planning and micromanagement!

I pretty much followed my same strategy from the last Achievement challenge, except I added in a few things I learned from other players, and really loved that there were no rules about moving people in and out - that allowed me to move someone out, and then if I wanted them again later, I could move them back in.  A couple 100-point achievements that I got this time that I missed last time were the Legacy ones - Legacy Player (10 generations), Alphabet Legacy (26 generations), and Legacy Leader (10 generations in 10 households).  These were all done by having my first sim adopt a child (not a baby), age up the child immediately to teen and then to YA, have that one adopt, age up the child, etc. for 26 generations (that was done by Wednesday of the first week).  As I moved out the generations, I moved them to different households, and once I got 10 generations under the 9th one, with more than 10 in my starting household, I got Legacy Leader - that one was a surprise, as I didn't realize it worked that way.

Another that worked differently than I expected was Serial Monogamist - 20 marriages in 20 unique households - One of the partners in the marriage could always be a sim in my household, as long as the other sim was from a different household than any of the other spouses.  I realized this too late to get it, but thought I'd mention it in case others didn't realize how this worked.

I also learned that vampires who die in the sun don't count toward vengeful diety (after I spent all that time on Vampire Lore so my sim could remove the Sunlight Resistance trait). 

Did anyone else have trouble killing off sims?  I had two die of laughter, but it seemed to take longer than it used to. After the patch, I couldn't get drowning to work - Lily Feng was exhausted - "pass out in 0 minutes" for about 6 hours in the pool and still didn't drown.  I thought it might have something to do with the new back float, so I got her out of the pool and kept her in the sauna for 2 days - she finally died, but I'm quite certain she didn't use to be that tough to kill.  After those were so hard to kill, I got the bright idea to send vamps out in the sun, because that is very quick, but that didn't work.  At that point, I gave up on that one because it was taking too long for 25-point achievement.

Another question - did anyone have success with the Hidden achievements?  I couldn't get any of them to count.  Wondering if those were removed.

I haven't had a lot of time for Sims lately, so maybe there was some news about the deaths being harder and the hidden achievements being removed and I missed that.  If so, someone clue me in please!

Overall, this is one of my favorite challenges because you get so much variety in activities.

Offline Tuija

• Nooboo
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2019, 12:40:17 PM »
Last night, I thought I had finally won one of these.  All hail LenaJ, the undisputed queen of sims for a fantastic score!

Pre-play planning:  I did a LOT of research, and incorporated tips from winners of 2015 and 2017 challenges, Claymask and LenaJ.  LenaJ’s spreadsheet was the start and inspiration for a 20 page spreadsheet to set priorities.   I grouped all possible achievements by similar activities: sim killin, legacy, emotion, social events, hours played, travellin around, job skillin, aliens, simsta, etc.

I chose the Villareal house, but moved the house to front of the lot to cut time wasted walking to/from work.  Wishing well was at front steps, and built an ‘adoption center’ on front of the property AT the spawn spot with computer and 2 birthday cakes.  Played long winter to freeze sims in the pool.  Club Rally and moodlet solvers instead of food/sleep.

Built a locked kill room with neon signs because I discovered (by accident, I swear!) that neon breaks really fast and kills faster than drowning.  Eva Holic earned Over-Achiever with Mansion Baron, Leader of the Pack, Bodybuilder, Painter Extraordinaire and Nerd Brain. 

Strategy for achievements:
Skill and job plan:  Core 10 skills gets View to a skill (100) points, core 10 jobs gets Knack of all trades (100).  Wishing well key to quicker promotions.  Wish is every 8 hours, not 12.  Oops.
Legacy adoptions:  Adoptees earned 260 points, and I finished adopting by Tuesday 2:28am.  Adopted first child as an infant, then aged Birthe up to senior with cakes, kept her until natural death for Older and wiser and The circle of life.  Adopt child, age up with cakes to YA, ‘milk’ for aspiration points with Mansion Baron and collect moodlet solvers, fat/thin pots.  Once house full, manage household to make space for the next round, lather rinse repeat x26.  Aged Aaline (#26) from child to teen, maxed mischief for Problem Child. 
Day plan:  Started with just my sim, Eva Holic and Jacques Villareal (Criminal 9).  Used all other slots for adoptees.  Once legacy was finished, I moved in Lily Feng (Business 9), Bjorn Bjergsen (high Fitness, switched to Astronaut), Salim Benali (high Writing) and Arun Bheeda (mid Programming and Video Gaming). 

When Jacques died of old age, replaced by Moira Fyres (high Gardening).  When Birthe died of old age, replaced by Raj Rasoya (Culinary 7).  Aaline (#26) replaced by Geoffrey Landgraab (Secret Agent 5).  When I killed Lily, replaced with Baako Jang (Entertainer 9).  Baako replaced by Blue for the Simsta achievements.  Blue replaced by Anaya Jang (Painter 9).  When I killed Anaya, realized the repairmen I had been killing with neon didn’t count for Vengeful Diety, so I used this slot to move in and kill Mortimer, then Bella Goth, Nina, Dina and finally Katrina Caliente.

Married Jacques Villareal, he died mid-wedding of old age. Then married/killed Lily Feng, Arun Bheeda and Anaya Jang.  Moved household to a retail lot, married/killed Geoffrey Landgraab for Death of a salesman.  Moved back to Windenburg.  Hoped all that decorating/building time would earn Honorary sim guru, but no.

Fails:  Wasted a lot of time on No longer solitary after jumping the gun and moving in hermit via manage household then having to start over with a new hermit.  Should have kept just one urn in house and started romancing ghost 4-5 days earlier for Ghostly move in.   Ran out of time on What makes a sim neutral. Finally, didn’t realize it was so easy to be abducted by aliens, was abducted once and could have used telescope much sooner for Carried Away.  Phew!  So much detail to condense from 20 pages into just one.  Okay, 2 pages.  Great challenge!

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2019, 02:00:23 PM »
First of i must again say that except the Baby Boomer challenge (like we where able to play it back in the sims 3), this is probably my new favorite challenge. Also in other games i adore achievements, and I always get a tad annoyed by a game if I cannot get them all. So those elusive ones in this challenge will be gathered now after I am done, just so that I can say I got them all haha.

There are a few keypoints for the strategy that I want to point out now. Without this I do not think it was possible for me.
Know which sims have which careers and skills in the worlds.
The Wishing well, with a tad of luck.
An always running club for faster skill gain and no need management.
Multitasking, and that I knew I would have to pause the game endlessly.

So before entering the challenge file I had decided on who to move in right away, and who I wanted to fullfill other career achievements. Below is the list of the initial planned sims, the order I invited them in, and what kind of other sims I needed living with me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We moved in to the little cheap lot in Willow Creek I always use for challenges, and from here on it was tackling the achievements in order for what I knew took a long time. During the most off the challenge I had 6 sims in the household because of jobs, my sim, and a free spot to move people into. (People that would complete a aspiration asap and then move out again.)
The wishing well was very important for the career promotions. Often I had enough time, that even though a single wish would fail, they would always have time enough for another wish that either had them a promotion right away, or max their performance.

If they should not wish for a promotion, I had them wish for skills instead. And got lucky a few times maxing some skills.

For careers like, doctor, scientist and detective I tried to join the career, and invite someone at a higher level to join my household. This worked for all but the Scientist, and my main sim actually faught her way through it.

Alot of points is also to be gotten from the “Legacy” Achievements, and those where simply gotten by adopting and age up one at a time. I first started on this in the second week and now am wondering if I could have planned for all 100 generations :)

Achievements that I didnt get, but actually planned to get was:
The Circle of Life - The Bheeda family are getting a child, but I simply forgot to get him/her born in my household, and when discovred it was to late.
Serial Monogamist - Simply did not trigger for me, stopped counting after 20
Harvest Interest: When you simply forget to harvest the plants around your lot once a day :(
Wohoo! - This one just took to much time!

Below I have all the achivements I completed in the order I completed them, and when.
If there is a sim name its simply the sim that did the job, if its shared effort I did not write a name.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If anyone has any question, please dont hesitate to ask.

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2019, 04:12:24 PM »
Congratulations, LenaLJ!
This was a really fun challenge. I started out wondering why, with two Sim weeks, this is a major event, but boy, is there a lot of micromanaging.

I used a very similar approach to Lena with using Townie Sims.
Some skill achievements can be got by moving in a Sim that already maxed that skill:
-   baking, handiness, charisma: Clement Frost
-   violin, guitar, piano: a nanny
-   gardening: a gardener
-   fishing: fisherman met at the park in Willow Creek
-   herbalism: the hermit
-   photography: a paparazzi
For fitness, I could have used a gym instructor, but instead I used Kayla Flemming when working on the athlete career. For other skills, move in high skilled Sims and when possible combine with careers. My starting Sim maxed rocket science. I also had a teen max mischief for Problem Child.

For careers, I used Dustin Dreamer (tech guru), Octavia Moon (writer), Baako Jang (artist), Geoffrey Landgraab (secret agent), Anaya Jang (painter), Raj Rasoya (culinary), Lily Feng (business), Bjorn Bjergsen (astronaut), Kayla Flemming (athlete). My starting Sim maxed the science career, which I wanted not only for the points, but also for the ability to make ghost goo, the cloning machine and the satellite. One Sim joined the detective career, just to meet the inspector. He was already level 10. Because that doesn’t trigger the achievement, he quit, rejoined the career at level 9, and then got a promotion. I didn’t try doctor.
Crime didn’t pay. Jacques Villareal was very unlucky with the Wishing Well and died of old age before maxing the career. I then tried it with Nancy Landgraab, and she almost made it.

For Vengeful Deity, I used several methods, but the most reliable I found to be bad pufferfish. I did have a vampire die of sun exposure too, and I think that did count for me. My Sim was unable to marry more than once, and I didn’t have time to try with someone else, so I did not get Black Widow. Luckily a still unmarried groom still counts for ‘Til Death Does Us Part.
I had a Sim spontaneously abducted twice. Then I used the satellite to make contact with aliens, which resulted in both the third abduction and in meeting enough aliens for Aliens Among Us. My starting Sim was an alien, but I didn’t manage to get Double Life. It’s hard to romance without getting in the very emotions.
Ghost goo turned the whole household into ghosts at a time nobody needed to work.

I used the same strategy as described above to adopt my way into Legacy Player and Alphabet Legacy (only just, final generation Sunday 7:50 am). I held five gold events, and many more bronze ones. I just missed Host with the Most ( I had 48 events) by poor time management at the end of the challenge.  Having a good reputation makes dates already start at bronze. However, adopting and aging up seems to mess with the ask for date interaction, and I really was trying to do it at the last moment.
I got quite far with Whoohoo! by making whoohoo a club activity and continually updating the club with new members. It was still quite time consuming, though, and I had to give up due to lack of time.

Offline coolsim9999999

• Watcher
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2019, 05:46:35 PM »
Congratulations on wining, Lena!  Great score and awesome strategy 8).

I liked reading everyone's strategies.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2019, 06:09:50 PM »
Congrats Lena

I just did things and managed to somehow get two of the 25 point achievements. When one of my sims tried cooking and almost burnt down the house I panicked more than my sims but moved them away from the fire and waited for the fire engines and firemen to come ... they didn't, but neighbours came and ran through the house. Eventually I sent one of mine to extinguish the fire and replace everything.

I did find and print out a list of the achievements, most of which I thought nah. So, I kind of did planning. Oh and one of mine was eating for two, thanks to a woohooy bush. Thanks for the challenge, and I didn't die, which exceeded my expectations.

Offline SoulGal7

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2019, 06:06:03 AM »
Congrats Lena for winning and for everyone who participated. I actually had to research achievements and found out about some hidden ones, like the View the San Myshuno markers. That was pretty cool. I totally messed up when it came to doing the parties and anything in a party.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2019, 07:40:53 AM »
congrats Lena and everyone with the high scores and amazing strategies (I didn't even know a lot of that was possible!)

I'm surprised nobody else seemed to share the problem with sims losing their jobs, I planned to get Jacques to the top of his career but when he joined the household he was unexpectedly unemployed, so was someone else (forget who now). I struggled to get black widow as the "it's inappropriate to marry someone in your employ" kept coming up erroneously which was a pain. I also messed up trying to get triplets near the end when I should have filled the household with people who could earn more points. Ah well, I've learned a lot for next time. ;D

Did anyone manage to get the hermit to move in? The option didn't turn up in either my test file or my real one.

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2019, 09:00:46 AM »
Congrats Lena! It was a great challenge.
I am reading all of your strategies,and did not think of many things you have done! I am learning some things I didn't knew.

Vesper,I managed to get the hermit to move in  :)
My sim was BFF with her,but it was impossible to invite her or to go somewhere with her.
But a few days later,she came by herself visiting my sim,and then I asked her to move in!
She was level 10 herbalism,so that gave me two achievements at the same time. She was also level 5 fishing,so I kept her max this skill.

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2019, 11:30:40 AM »
congrats Lena and everyone with the high scores and amazing strategies (I didn't even know a lot of that was possible!)

I'm surprised nobody else seemed to share the problem with sims losing their jobs, I planned to get Jacques to the top of his career but when he joined the household he was unexpectedly unemployed, so was someone else (forget who now).

I didn't play this challenge, but when I moved Diego into one of my current Rival Dynasty houses, he was unemployed. Salim had his job, but he moved in sooner. This was a bug a while back. It was fixed but it seems like it's back.

Offline Isabelalabe

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2019, 11:23:59 PM »
Congratulations to all. Your techniques are amazing. I don't have wishing well and didn't know many things like you can quit and rejoin the job at high level. I did finish the 100 generations one though. In case, someone is wondering if that is possible. :) 

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2019, 12:18:45 AM »
Just don't do what I do and misread the rules ... I missed the part where we need to play it on short lifespan. :P Not that the it gave me a huge advantage or anything. LOL

Offline MystiKitty

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2019, 07:04:53 PM »
*SNAPS FINGERS IN  >:( *

Should have gone and tried this out. I'll be there for the Achievement Hunter challenge of 2020, for sure! Now that Realm of Magic has a potion that I could stock up to fill needs, I won't be as inclined to cheat needs as much. ^_^

anything