Author Topic: Cricket to the Power of 10  (Read 367 times)

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
Cricket to the Power of 10
« on: August 30, 2019, 06:59:40 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
My family are the Cricket Dynasty, from a long line of cricketers. My founder is Opener. His picture is above. Sorry if you're expecting a story, I won't be giving you one, just things as they come to mind. I will be giving you stats and commentary and scores, however. It wouldn't be a cricket related dynasty without stats and commentary and scores

Any founder of a dynasty has many challenges to face, and so first up is Opener. In the game of cricket, the opener has to blunt the attack of the opposition, take stock of the pace and spin of the pitch, and assess the pace of the infield and outfield. That's much the same as a Founder in a Dynasty Challenger.

His world is Willow Creek and his lot is shown below (Potters Splay). You'll see I've also placed a Spa and a Restaurant in this world.
I have him pursuing baking as his supermax rather than cooking because baking isn't tied to an aspiration, unlike cooking and there will (hopefully) be less chance of me having a later sim accidentally maxing the skill on me. He'll be doing frogs as his collection and so will be visiting parks both within Willow Creek and the other worlds.

When it comes to the odd/freelancing jobs I'll be doing the programming freelance jobs as I've found I've had most success with these.

I am going to be going the "outdoor living route" for him initially until he earns a bit of money.

Oh and here's the welcome wagon! All ladies! Let's see if Opener can bowl a maiden over, wait a moment, he's a batsman, not a bowler, oh well. But in any case
"welcome to my home, ladies please, won't you come inside ... my bathroom?"
Why should he have to go hunting for a Mrs Cricket when they come to him? Oh, and there's a leader of the pack aspiration ...
Welcome to the Bowling a Maiden Over Club, ladies, where Opener wines and dines you and chooses one of you lovely ladies to be his spouse!
Oh and let's get some emotional whims out of the way.
Interesting, Baking dishes counts as 'Cooking while inspired' and 'Cooking an excellent meal'. While he cooks some grilled cheese for his lady 'friends', that's end of the session, and a tea break!

Stats at Week 1, Sunday
Cash earned 0/10000
Satisfaction earned 900/10000
Baking Skill 2/10
Emotional Whims 4/10
Freelancer Gigs/Odd Jobs 0/10
Culinary: Chef Career 0/10
Good Friends 0/10; non human  0/2
Collection of Frogs: 0/10
Community Lots Visited: 0/10
Parties: 0/10

Offline reggikko

• Immortal
Re: Cricket to the Power of 10
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:13:40 PM »
Great start, Deklitch! I know nothing about cricket, but I'm sure you'll have fun with that theme.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 08:10:52 PM »
Looking forward to your Crickets' success, Deklitch! A very manly founder, indeed!
We'll all be rooting for you, erm, him!

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
Re: Cricket to the Power of 10 - Scoreboard
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 09:14:39 PM »
As the current team are on their teabreak ... let's review the stats on the scoreboard

Teabreak - Generation 1
+==+ SCOREBOARD +==+
Generation 1 - Opener Cricket
Sunday Week 2
Cash earned 948/10,000 (9.48%)
Satisfaction earned 3,485/10,000 (34.85%)
Baking Skill 6/10 (60%)
Emotional Whims 10/10 (100%)
Freelancer Gigs/Odd Jobs 0/10 (0%)
Culinary: Chef Career 0/10 (0%)
Good Friends 0/10 (0%); non human  0/2 (0%)
Collection of Frogs: 10/10 (100%) - Value: 490
Community Lots Visited: 6/10 (60%) - Movers and Shakers (Gym), Willow Creek Archives (Library), Sunny Side Up Diner (Restaurant), Perfect Balance Spa (Spa), Willow Creek Park (Park), Paddywack Emporium (Retail)
Parties: 0/10 (0%)

Offline MarianT

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 09:24:23 PM »
Looking forward to this. I might actually learn something about cricket. All I know is that there's a bowler, a batter, and something called a sticky wicket. Anyway, good luck!
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--The Wisewoman of Forgotten Hollow

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 12:17:50 AM »
Bowler (cricket) = Pitcher (baseball); Batsman (Cricket) = Batter (Baseball)

A funny explanation of the rules to the game of Cricket ... this came out as a tea towel in the UK in the 1970's apparently.

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out in the field comes in and the side that's been in goes out in the field and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

And so that's the ins and outs of cricket, @MarianT oh ... and you can play it for five days and at the end of the five days, it may end in a draw = no result. :P

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 05:10:16 AM »
Oh,my word, Deklitch, your explanation of playing cricket was as clear as mud, but I'm sure it covered the ground!  I like your Sim and having him have a tea break, as opposed to a coffee break, (makes more sense to me, make mine one of the 8 Early Grey varieties Harney & Sons sells, I have 7 so far).  I like the way you've set it up.  It may not be a traditional story but it still is a story.  Your batsman can just bat one out of the park where the ladies are concerned, (that's a good thing) and how lucky to all ladies!
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Heart Foam

• Occult
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 07:06:25 AM »
@Joria -- you can even try to bowl a maiden over with two short legs, one slightly square.

I often wonder how strange cricket is to the unfamiliar. All the standing about. But then... there's baseball. Of course you can stop play to have lunch.

Really looking forward to this story because it's such a good idea, and I can see how well it'll fit with a cricket scorecard.
Various Forum Adventures:

The Dynasty of Original Townies Dynasty
Vlad's Nose story
Sims Eugenics II - the big chateau one
Vacuous Green house (I totes like this one)
Island Living Beachfront Mansion

It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 01:48:25 PM »
@Heart Foam, strange indeed.  It seems so random with bowling instead of pitching, (like in baseball), and a lot of folks standing around seeming to do nothing except maybe have a chat.  At least until it's time for a tea break, which I can go with whole heartedly!  Can a bowler do sort of different things like a pitcher can?  There is so much you can do to change the pitch in baseball by what you do with the ball, how you hold it, etc.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Heart Foam

• Occult
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 02:55:22 PM »
A bowler can run up and bowl really fast, or sort of gently waddle into his bowling and try to spin the ball off the pitch. That's a big difference. In cricket the ball usually bounces on the way, and if it doesn't it so much easier to hit. So the bowler will try and get the ball to swing through the air -- curveball, slider, etc. But also he can try to get it to deviate when it bounces. But the bat has a flat face, so the batsman has a better change of hitting it cleanly compared to baseball. So that makes batting seem easy. But to compensate, a small deviation off the pitch gets the batsman to play slightly off-center, they still "foul" the ball fairly often -- but in cricket there's often a flock of catchers waiting for just that. And if the bowler is good at bowling one that goes straight, and one that turns two feet, and good disguising when he's holding the ball differently... it's like baseball in that the variations get the guy out.
Various Forum Adventures:

The Dynasty of Original Townies Dynasty
Vlad's Nose story
Sims Eugenics II - the big chateau one
Vacuous Green house (I totes like this one)
Island Living Beachfront Mansion

It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
Re: Cricket to the Power of 10 - Bowling a Maiden Over
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 10:58:08 PM »
Glenn McGrath - one of Australia's all time top fast bowlers reportedly trained with and learnt techniques from baseball pitchers to improve his own bowling. Which was amazing and well worth it, considering he could bowl line and length and basically put the ball exactly where his captain wanted it to go ball after ball. He was rewarded with 563 wickets, the most taken by a fast bowler to date. He is in 4th position over all, with three spinners ahead of him, Anil Kumble from India is 3rd at just over 600, Shane Warne from Australia is 2nd at just over 700 and Muttiah Muralitharan from Sri Lanka is 1st at 800. A lot of time spent by these men running down a pitch to attempt to get a bastman out by lbw, bowled, caught, stumped, and various other ways, but all very skilled in their craft.

As a side note about Glenn McGrath: his first wife, Jane, died of breast cancer in 2008. In 2005, they started a charity 'McGrath Foundation' which has the express aim of providing women in Australia with breast cancer, a breast cancer nurse to help them and their families through their treatment. Each year the test played at the Sydney Cricket Ground is known as the pink test with players from both teams playing in pink coloured uniforms, and umpires, commentators and the fans at the ground all encouraged to wear pink and to give generously to the foundation. The players involved in the game also sign various things from the game which are raffled off with funds raised going to the charity. As of April 2016, the charity has placed 110 breast care nurses which according to the Glenn McGrath wikipedia page has supported more than 33,000 Australian families.

---

On a much lighter note, I played cricket when I was younger, in Years 7 and 8 (last  year of primary school and first year of secondary school in Australia at the time, nowadays, those are the first two years of secondary school). I had a far less stellar career than those four gentlemen, and every other that's played the game. I was, however, given the ball once to bowl an over in Year 7 cricket. An over in cricket involves six balls. If the bowler oversteps the line, or bowls with a bent arm, it is a no ball and a run is added to the batting team, and the bowler has to bowl again. If it is bowled and it is too far away from the batsman that they can't possibly reach it due to height or too far to the left or the right of the batsman, it is called a wide, a run is added to the batting team, and the bowler has to bowl again. If the umpire didn't take pity on me after about 20 attempts to bowl and stopped calling wide, I'd still probably be trying to complete bowling that over today.

I so much prefer watching skilled players of the game. :)

During tea break, Opener discussed things with the ladies that were part of his club. The club is called "Bowling a Maiden Over" and he is talking to them all about bowling a maiden over, unusual for a batsman to be wanting to go an over without scoring, but there you have it.

It was also getting pretty hot and steamy and he told a dirty joke to Mrs Pancakes which turned her cheeks redder than the Late Nights emotional lamp near them.

That was his 7th emotional whim completed - he's done happy, flirty, confident, focused, energised, playful and inspired, and apparently I need to stop being so nice to him so he can go into a trio  of the 'negative' emotional states. Make him pee his pants or hope that someone rejects his advances or some such thing.

There is a frog spawning location near his house so he's been there and picked that up and also dug up a dig site ... no t-rex arms, thankfully. Across the way there is also a fishing spot. He's currently using a bush for his business, which is fine for now, but he does hope to upgrade and talk to his Lou soon ... and I don't mean his Aunt Lou.

The main thing provided for the team's tea break was a fountain of mirth, which flowed chocolate.

It proved a hit for all members of the club, especially the ladies, who held strawberries under the chocolate.

Right then, Opener, tea break is over, back to work. No, I don't care how tired you are, or how badly you need the bush, or how you think you're in need of a wash, you can get timed out if you don't return to the 'field of play' once the return to play is called!

And return to play is called ... now.

Updated Scorecard

Bowling a Maiden Over - this occurs when a bowler bowls his six balls in an over and the batsman is unable to score a run off any of them. Glenn McGrath was well known for his ability to bowl these types of overs, and they were useful for building up pressure against a particular batsman or a team, so they are more likely to play a 'false stroke' and get themselves out. It also is a play on the meaning of maiden being "an unmarried girl/woman".

Offline reggikko

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 11:55:38 PM »
That club is hilarious and so is your commentary! Which of the ladies has the advantage? Has anyone scored yet?

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 04:12:29 AM »
Someone has scored ... though maybe not who we expect. :) Something unexpected happened, like one of the current Australian openers making 50 runs. I was ... not expecting this to happen. And it'll change a few things for me lol.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
Re: Cricket to the Power of 10 - Gardening
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »
Time was called and the club were dismissed at the end of the day's play. After serving as drinks waiter for a bit as he cleaned up after the ladies, Opener collapsed on his way into his tent.
Was the sound of wings and the voice he thought he heard during the night just his imagination? One thing that wasn't his imagination were the red pin pricks on his neck. The voice said something about garlic and so he got on the computer to order some.
He went and gardened for a bit, was he time wasting or accumulating runs satisfaction points? Perhaps a bit of both. One thing was for sure, however, he wasn't grafting yet, scoring was still rather easy.
It was a rest day, and so Opener decided to take the time for himself
First stop was at Movers and Shakers Gyn in Willow Creek where he looked after his body
Then it was off to the Willow Creek Archives library where he took care of his mind and *ahem* other needs
(Let's hope he washes his hands before putting that baking skill into practice)
The Perfect Balance Spa was next where the tired muscles in his back were worked on by a skilled practitioner
And then a foot massage, all that running up and down a wicket and all.
Were the ladies there to see him? Or were they waiting for their own foot massages?
Ah, waiting for massages it.
And that wasn't the only place he slept in the spa
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Having recovered a bit, he went for a bite to eat at the Sunny Side Up Diner, which had recently opened in Willow Creek. Their motto? "It's 9am somewhere in the simworld ... so come on in have breakfast 24/7"
Having had a full day, he called his club mates up and invited them to gather with him at Willow Park for a spot of fishing.
All but one joined him. The missing club member, Liberty Lee, was contacted and responded with "why are you calling me at this time of night? I'm sleeping"
On that note, Here's the updated scorecard!

Drinks waiter - a jocular term for the twelfth man, referring to his job of bringing out drinks.
Gardening - a batsman prodding at the pitch with his bat between deliveries, ostensibly to flatten a bump in the pitch. May be used to inspect features of a deteriorating pitch (e.g. footmarks), or to calm the batsman's nerves. Sometimes considered to be time-wasting.
Getting one's eye in - a batsman playing low-risk defensive shots when first in, while they assess the conditions and bowlers, before attempting riskier scoring shots.
Grafting - batting defensively with strong emphasis on not getting out, often under difficult conditions.
Twelfth man - Traditionally, the first substitute player who fields when a member of the fielding side is injured. In Test matches, twelve players are named to a team prior to the match, with the final reduction to eleven occurring immediately prior to play commencing on the first day. This gives the captain some flexibility in team selection, dependent on the conditions (e.g. a spin bowler may be named to the team, but omitted if the captain feels that the pitch is not suitable for spin bowling).

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 06:34:47 PM »
Lookin' good bowler!  Why don't you carry your tent with you when you travel and plunk it down when you need to sleep? No rules against that and faster than napping on the floor.  Not happy our friend got bitten.  That's what happens when you miss the tent!  Love the way garlic looks when it grows.  I can't grow it, don't have vampires installed.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
Re: Cricket to the Power of 10 - on hiatus
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 06:23:00 PM »
I'm taking a break from the forum, too much going on in life to be able to focus in here.

anything