Author Topic: Discover University Confirmed!! Information thread.  (Read 13596 times)

Offline scoed

• Watcher
Re: Discover University Confirmed!! Information thread.
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »
Major news today! the official gameplay trailer is out. See OP for link, new blog posts, I am ecstatic. Student loans!! School transfers. Scholarships. New careers! I an so happy. The drought is over at least for now!! Wow just wow.

Offline techiechick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2019, 02:13:23 PM »
I'm glad to see from the gameplay trailer that secret societies are coming back. I missed the sorority/fraternity functionality when it wasn't included in Sims 3 University, after being in Sims 2.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2019, 03:17:21 PM »
New blog post from EA: (Also linked in the Opening Post)
Learn All About The Sims 4 Discover University. Find out what higher education can offer your Sims!

University of Britechester
Degrees: Biology, Computer Science, Economics, Physics, Psychology, and Villainy
Distinguished Degrees: Art History, Culinary Arts, Drama, Fine Art, History, Language and Literature, and Communications

Foxbury Institute
Degrees: Art History, Culinary Arts, Drama, Fine Art, History, Language and Literature, and Communications
Distinguished Degrees: Biology, Computer Science, Economics, Physics, Psychology, and Villainy

Then further information around 'Financial Aid'
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2019, 07:58:05 PM »
The degrees seem very well thought out.

Economics and Villainy though, from my experiences of studying economics at uni, Villainy is the same thing as Economics. :)

Love that they have Humanities Type Degrees lumped in together and STEM type ones lumped in together and that they are Degrees at one and distinguished degrees at the other.

Where it talks about living off campus to study as an option, I wonder if that is kind of a distance ed/online learning type deal, or if it is on the uni worlds just further away from the Uni/Institute buildings.

I also saw someone claiming they were using the game play to create their own dorms for Discover Uni on youtube. Not sure how that was possible, however, or if I somehow misread it.

I'm also curious about the new careers this is offering, particularly the education career and am hoping that there'll be some options re career paths eg elementary, secondary, tertiary, possibly even an admin branch.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2019, 08:15:18 PM »
Wow, I had to edit the OP several times today. Information flowing in. The drought is over! Is it silly I am most excited about student  loan debt? LOL. I hated my student loan debt, it was such a milestone around my neck, I want my sims to suffer like I did! Anyway all this info is making me excited again. I way getting kinda down about the pack during the drought. Hope they keep talking!

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2019, 10:15:19 PM »
I didn't think the Game Play trailer really added any more info than the Reveal Trailer. Perhaps a few more details around majors etc but those things are just flavors and not really new game play. Majors will simply link results to careers.

I'm curious about the elevators in the dorms. Hopefully this time around these (what appears to be) apartment-style lots will be available to build in other worlds with functionality remaining intact.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2019, 05:17:16 AM »
Couldn't sleep so I checked twitter. Good news and bad news in this stupid early update. The good news is bikes can be ridden in every world. Bad news is university classes are rabbit holes. I am majority disappointed that the thing in this pack is just a rabbit hole. Disappointed but not surprised. No wonder they went silent for so long. If I had a pack that was named after and featured a rehashed rabbit hole I  to would hide. Discover Rabbit Hole is the real name of the pack if they wanted to emphasize what this pack truly is centered on.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2019, 04:29:47 PM »
Tweet confirming the classes are rabbit holes in case anyone is unsure. This is linked under a spoiler in the OP but sometimes it is just easier to read the information in the thread.

https://twitter.com/SimGuruFrost/status/1191991245813342208

Professor Frost💫 (@SimGuruFrost)
Rabbit holes, but even with rabbit holes, time management is an absolute must when taking multiple classes to get good grades.

A further tweet from SimGuruFrost explained that "While they aren't specifically classes, we have events that are tied to University organizations that happen between classes that can contribute to overall success. E.g. a figure painting get together"

Personally I am not bothered one way or the other that classes are not active, bikes being able to be used in all worlds is a bigger win in the scheme of the game.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2019, 01:51:29 AM »
Can we be careful we aren't crossing over into this territory specified in the rules in Playalot's signature, please?

Don't waste space and traffic by bashing game publishers and their developers. Use their forums or contact them yourself. - https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/contact-ea-help/

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2019, 03:52:40 PM »
Carl has condensed the information we have so far in a short  video here (click)  if anyone is interested.  Includes information on the possible return of the Repo Man, which I think we can safely move from the realm of speculation and into confirmed information thanks to a tweet from SimGuruMorgan.

The 2019 Sims Camp has now finished, we have the developers Live Stream tomorrow and Game Changers embargo lifts soon after, so very shortly we will have all the details we need to make an informed decision about Discover University and if it is a pack we would personally care to buy. Sometimes waiting for information, especially when the main theme has been leaked profusely, is tough but developers are paid employees and have to follow work rules just like the rest of us. Non Disclosure Agreements are a thing.

**Edited to add, an actual NPC 'Repo Man' has been confirmed

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2019, 04:16:55 PM »
Well Repossessions are confirmed, even mentioned in the second trailer and a tweet from simguru Morgan. But I haven't seen actual evidence of a repo man. Repossessions could work like child protection services taking babies. Poof it is gone followed by a notice. I hope the repro man is back but it is not confirmed by amd official information I have seen. Maybe the will show how it work tomorrow.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2019, 04:24:08 PM »
True that scoed, seems difficult to remove the concept of 'repossessions' from the famed Repo Man..but indeed it could be just a notification of removal. That probably shouldn't make me laugh, but..oh well!  ;D

*edited to add an after thought: We've had repo men pretty much since Strangerville though of course with the Sims in Black that come and repossess your sims fridge after the Strangerville Welcome Wagon place the bizarre fruit in it. (And same with fire fighters as neighbors in Sulani will spawn on your Sims lot when they have a fire and rush to help put it out, and repair men, again Sulani neighbors will spawn in and repair your Sims broken sink etc. So I view those as the devs soft testing the systems for a (speculative and hopeful) return of such services in the future at some point.)

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2019, 09:16:50 PM »
@Playalot that is true. I really am hoping for a real repo man. I love random things like that.

Anyway I just updated a tweet in the OP. Looks like we can move into the new town even if they don't chose to enroll into a university. I suspect this but confirmation.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2019, 10:00:01 PM »
Nice, also confirmed that toddlers can visit campus but can not live in University housing. Nothing surprising there really.
https://twitter.com/SimGuruFrost/status/1191876882322427904

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2019, 10:31:14 PM »
Nice, also confirmed that toddlers can visit campus but can not live in University housing. Nothing surprising there really.
https://twitter.com/SimGuruFrost/status/1191876882322427904

Just as long as they can study the villainy degrees - Boss Baby, anybody? :D