Author Topic: Townie Skill-a-Thon  (Read 32329 times)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
Re: Townie Skill-a-Thon
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2020, 01:03:23 AM »
I think my strategy was similar to some peoples but also different, for one thing I waited until children had grown up before playing with those households, perhaps a mistake on my part as most of those households had elders which had died by the time I got to them. I didn't know children could learn Vampire Lore so that's interesting, I have to admit, I don't really play families all that much. I avoided any households with possessed Sims as I didn't want to deal with that (I hate Strangerville anyway). I too made a list of townies including their skills, careers and traits, I also compiled a list of ways to boost emotions without using any objects and used those along with my Sim's traits, club perks and potions. I definitely made a few mistakes and would have got a better score if I hadn't but first here's a list of what I did.

Maximus Skills: Photography
Partihaus : Charisma (After doing this, I used Cheerful Introduction and Charisma socials to make good friends quickly).
Landgraab: Mischief (Took them to the Humour and Hijinks festival for this, I've used festivals to boost skills in past challenges too).
Rasoya: Cooking
Karoke Legends: Singing
Fengs: Logic (Lily mentored Maximus and Victor once she had maxed it).
Lobo: Comedy
Free Spirits: Painting
Roomies: Dancing
Caliente: Selvadoradian Culture
Hecking: Dog training (Brant found a cute stray to train but my Sim had to train Rosie once Brent was done with her).
Zest: Baking (I chose this place because the yard was big enough for a couple of cupcake machines).
Vatores: Vampire Lore (Toggled through Vampire, Popularity and Fortune aspirations to buy them Speed Reader and Night Owl, any Vampire XP they gained from reading the tomes got poured into Child Of The Moon to boost their skill gain).
Behr: Video Gaming (They went to Geekcon for this).
Benali: Writing
Pizzazz: Programming
Bro: DJ Mixing (It was the DJ Booth that started the fire in my game! I had them locked n their rooms so Sergio was safe).
Vladislaus Straud: Pipe Organ (Vlad mentored Maximus).
Pancakes: Media Production (I too, used the Music Mixing Station to do this as it's faster and less annoying).
Spencer-Lewis-Kim: Bowling
Bjergsen: Guitar (Sofia mentored people once she had finished, so did others once they were done).
Munch: Mixology
Goths: Violin (Finished people mentored the rest).

On to the mistakes I made, there's a quite a few! Maxing Charisma wasn't the brilliant idea I thought it was, sure it helped to make good friends faster but it was so grindy and took two days to max! I hadn't realized photography boosted friendships so much and that was the  first skill that Maximus did for his own household. Waiting for kids to grow up, okay, so I didn't know kids can learn Vampire Lore but I completely forgot that Kids can go bowling so I could have done that in the Spencer-Lewis-Kim household while Dennis and Vivian were still alive! I can't believe I forgot about that, I'm kicking myself! >:( I went for too many small households, mostly because I was targeting all the Sims with high or maxed skills and they tend to be mainly little families. Guess who also forgot about Gym Trainers being great mentors for fitness? *Sigh* And to think that I remembered and utilized every other skill that could be mentored in the game yet somehow that one managed to slip my mind.

In my last household, nobody maxed the Handiness skill they were doing, not even Maximus, so I didn't score that one, I got unlucky with the Handyman I hired to mentor them as he showed up with low needs and couldn't stick around for long.

I still can't believe I forgot so many things and this challenge has made me realize how little I know about what kids are capable of in this game, I'll have to do some testing on that one. Charisma was very much a last minute decision and I had to wing it on that one, while I know I could have done better if it wasn't for some silly mistakes and forgetfulness on my account, I did learn a lot from said mistakes and my own experiences and that's the main thing! :)

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2020, 04:39:42 AM »
Thanks for sharing your strategy Sruixan, Kids being able to learn vampire lore is the biggest lesson for me. And Selvadorian culture was so quick to max!

Did everyone else use holidays for moodlets and work leave? I scheduled a holiday every day where the only activity was wear costumes as this is super quick. When someone in the household was less than very moody I'd cancel (only once everyone had completed the holiday activity obv) for a mood boost. If the skill they were working on was an inspired one then the activity would be changed to appreciate an object instead as that gives an inspired moodlet.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2020, 05:35:08 AM »
I did photography by himself, then dancing with the Landgraabs then I thought I'd do violin with the Goths. Forgot that creativity is for children and while they can play violin from the start, it goes to creativity skill and not violin skill.

I met and greeted all the people as they walked by his house, and formed a club with a single member of different families and invited them over. My Sim proceeded to photograph the members of the club to become better friends with them and then they were the houses that my sim was going to go to. But I ran out of real life time due to the silliness of real life work: the Sunday in February that the challenge ended coincided with the work retreat! RUDE!

As I said, I didn't start any fires for once - yay, and my sim didn't die - double yay!

Offline SoulGal7

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2020, 07:03:55 AM »
Strategy for Townie Skill-A-Thon. I don't have the Vampire or Strangerville packs.
⦁   I did a lot of research on the web on all the pre-mades of the packs to see what their skills & skill levels were. Some pre-mades were at skill level 9 (Lily Feng-logic; Moira Fyres-gardening; Darling Walsh-singing), and one was maxed (Raj Rasoya-Cooking). Then, I looked at which were the easiest skills to do. There are 5 skills that are minor skills that go to 5 levels: Bowling, Dancing, Singing, Pet Training & photography. Next, I wanted to know which skills could be mentored, which would help a "mentored" sim skill faster: Fitness, Painting, logic, writing, handiness, piano, guitar and violin.
⦁   I looked at all the households in all the worlds, and had to eliminate some because the youngest was a toddler and would not age up in time before the challenge ended (Delgato in Brindleton Bay, Kealoha in Sulani, and also later Bheeda in San Myshuno because they had a baby). For any children in households, it was going to take 13 days for them to age normally to teen. Unfortunately, in the Lewis-Kim & Villareal households, Olivia and Max aged up, but the elders died, so, they were then down to a 3-sim household. I wanted to max the most skills with the most members in the house.
⦁   This was actually going to be a test file, but it turned out my sim was doing rather well, so it became my official file. Aspiration: Renaissance Sim Traits:  Music Lover, Sel-Assured, Creative, Bonus trait: Quick Learner. Downloaded 2 maxis builds, Dust Bowl and Ashram Yoga Studio.
⦁   Clubs - After gaining the first skill, and joining the first household, created a club called Skillerz. Changed club members & club activities as I joined each household. Saved up club points for "Rally the Troops" and set the club vibe according to what emotion was needed for that skill. At the end of the challenge, I had purchased all reward traits.
⦁   Jobs & School - I just had those sims take a vacation day or two. They never quit their jobs, so they earned simoleons on their days off. If I made good friends with a household member who was at home, while other household members were at work, I just clicked on the ones at work and had them leave work early so that all the household sims could start skilling at the same time.
⦁   Aspiration Traits purchased - Gym Rat, Morning sun, Night Owl, Creative Visionary, Mentor, Savant, Incredibly Friendly, Marketable, Independent, Stoves & Grills Master. I also bought a moodlet solver potion in the beginning, but then didn't need any after I got "Rally the Troops" in the club.
⦁   First skill. I wanted to test the pet training skill. The only household that had a sim with pet training (Brent-level 2) and a pet in the house was the Hecking household in Brindleton Bay. I wondered how 3 sims could train 1 pet without moving in more pets in the household. I wasn't sure on this one. So, I travelled there to visit them, but when my sim landed, Rosie, their dog, was on the sidewalk. I did a cautious introduction and as soon as I did, the pet training option came up. I then started to train Rosie in roll over on the sidewalk. My sim's pet training skill was going up fast. I never did end up joining the Hecking household. But what about strays - could you train them? I headed to Pupperstone Park, which has the Dog Friendly lot trait waiting for some strays. None. I then travelled to the shore and saw a sim grilling some burgers, and suddenly all these strays appeared. At first, it was cats, and you can't "pet train" cats, but then the dogs came, and after doing cautious interaction, did some pet training on them, but they decided to leave. I then went to Deadgrass Isle and ghost dog Captain Whittaker was there. I levelled up the pet training skill with him and he was my first friend! That was funny. Unfortunately, I wasted time on this first skill, and I should have just stayed on that sidewalk and trained Rosie.
⦁   Dj Mixing with the Bro Household (2 sims) in Windenburg, as Joaquin had level 6 in DJ Mixing. Travelled to Windenburg, knocked on their door, and once I was good friends, "asked to join household". Made the Skillerz club, which would be used for all the households to boost skill levels. Purchased 3 portable dj booths which could be placed in inventory. Headed to San Myshuno, Casbah gallery, which had the Great Acoustics lot trait (+50% boost for musical instruments). They also made simoleons from their dj'ing. Partway through, also headed to Discoteque Pan Europa in Windenburg. Wasn't sure if maybe the skill would increase more if they were at a club. Found out that you can't mentor the DJ skill.
⦁   Photography with Johnny Zest (1 sim) in Oasis Springs. Using the cell phone camera, just took selfies and photos on lot. Nothing required. 99 pics later and was skilled. This is the fastest skill and if I was starting this challenge again, would start with this skill.
⦁   Logic with the Fengs (2 sims) in San Myshuno. Lily had level 9 in logic. Bought 2 chess tables and chairs. Bought the focused club trait. Lily was the first to max, then she mentored Victor and my sim.
⦁   Dancing with the Calientes (4 sims) in Oasis Springs. I was originally thinking of doing the Fitness skill with them, but Nina has the lazy trait and I figured that wouldn't go well. Bought a cheap stereo and they all danced to max skill.
⦁   Bowling with the Fyres in Windenburg (4 sims). Even though Moira had level 9 in gardening, I thought it would take too long for everyone to max that skill. Plus, you couldn't mentor gardening. Went to the Dust Bowl and maxed bowling.
⦁   Selvadoradian Culture Skill with Roomies in Oasis Springs (4 sims). Travelled to Selvadorada on vacation - cheapest accommodation Hillview Hideaway- & then travelled to the cantina. TIP: If you travel to the cantina you can use the club features & start a club gathering. You can't start a club gathering on the rental property. Chatted to locals, eat, drank and ended vacation early once they maxed the skill.
⦁   Fitness with Partihaus in Windenburg (4 sims). Marcus Flex had level 7 in fitness & Paolo Rocca had level 6. They all took energized showers. Headed to Skye Fitness in San Myshuno which has the Bracing Breezes lot trait. Asked gym trainer (Supriya Delgato) to mentor Marcus first, so that we could then have 2 mentors. Very lucky on this one, as both Kayla Flemming & Oliana Ngata were there and both could mentor. Had Kayla mentor Paolo and Oliana mentor Jade. Had "Rally the Troops" club trait, but social and hygiene needs still fell, so between greenings, had Eva make the protein shake to keep them energized. When their muscles were sore from exercising and they refused to use gym equipment, they could still use the basketball court and "dribble" which also built fitnss skill.
⦁   Painting with Free Spirits in Windenburg (2 sims). Toss up on this one, because Ulrike had level 5 in Painting & Maaike had level 5 in Writing, but went with Painting. Bought 3 easels and 3 digitalistic sketchpads, both went into inventory. Travelled to Casbah Gallery in San Myshuno, which has Natural Light lot trait. There are easels on the 2nd floor, but I found that these were always in use. Set up easels where the paintings were. Inspired vibe. I had an instance where Maaike went to talk to Ulrike after placing her art in inventory and another random sim came over and used her easel. Luckily, she was able to scrap the painting and continue to use the easel. My sim used the digicalistic sketchpad (which is super fast) & easel. They created several masterpieces & when Ultike maxed painting, she could mentor.
⦁   Singing with Karaoke legends in San Myshuno (3 sims). They all had singing skill. Travelled to Planet Honey Pop! a karaoke bar which has great acoustics lot trait. Had 1 sim use the karaoke machine and the other sims just do singing. They all earned celebrity status and Akira Kibo won a karaoke contest with a score of 100!
⦁   Mischief with Landgraabs in Oasis Springs (3 sims). Malcolm had aged up to YA. He still had mischief skill & Geoffrey had level 6. Bought another computer and a telescope. Funny vibe. You can "spy on neighbors" which is a mischief skill using the telescope - had Geoffrey do this. Mischief interactions with Malcolm and Nancy & trolled the forums on computer.
⦁   Handiness with Kahananui in Sulani (2 sims). Alika had level 4 handiness. Bought 3 woodworking tables. Focused vibe. Once Alika maxed skill, he could mentor.
⦁   Programming with Goths in Willow Creek (4 sims) Alexander had aged to teen; Cassandra had aged to YA. Bella had level 2 in programming. Bought 5 computers. Focused vibe.
⦁   Writing with Munch in Windenburg (4 sims) Lucas had aged to teen with erratic trait! Wolfgang had aged to YA. Gunther had level 7 in writing. Bought 4 computers (one on lot already). Inspired vibe. Several books published, some were nominated for a starlight accolades award, celebrity status gained. Gunther mentored once achieved max skill.
⦁   Guitar with Bjergsen in Windenberg (4 sims). Elsa had aged to teen, Sofia had aged to YA. Sofia still had guitar level 8. Bought 4 guitars (one on lot already) & put in inventory. Headed to San Myshuno Casbah Gallery great acoustics lot trait. There are guitars on 3rd floor, but I wanted everyone to have their own. Went to the bar area and started playing. In between, Clara made prose & prop drinks at the bar for everyone to keep the inspired mood going. Sofia and Clara got lots of tips. Sofia mentored guitar when maxed, and my sim also mentored.
⦁   Video Gaming with BFF in Willow Creek (3 sims). Travis had level 2 video gaming. Focused vibe. While focused, had Summer make the amygdelight drink, which is supposed to help your sim skill faster in video gaming, programming, logic & rocket science. They had a bar, so I gave it a try. Bought a gaming console and a computer (they already had a tablet and a computer on-site). The gaming console seemed to skill up the sims the fastest, so they all played a lot of Party Frenzy.
⦁   A lot of the elders in households had passed away. Should have done those first. There were a lot of 2 and 3 sim households left to play. Then I spied a randomly generated household in Oasis Spring. The Raines family with a household of 4. Latoya had level 7 in mixology. Carlo was her husband, their daughter Brooklyn was a YA, and son Noe, a teen. So, that was the skill we did. It was interesting to note that they all had some bowling skill, too. They didn't have a bar, so bought 5 portable bars and placed in back yard. This is where the fire started with Brooklyn starting a fire at the bar by practicing her bar tricks and blowing fire. The bar was charred.
⦁   Cooking with Rasoya in San Myshuno (1 sim). Geeta had passed away. Raj had already maxed cooking, and I thought this would be my last household. Lot trait Chef's Kitchen. Inspired vibe. Maxed skill at 5:06 am Sunday.
⦁   I still had time to perhaps max another skill before 8am. Judtih Ward had Acting level 7. So, having already become friends with her somewhere, as my sim still had celebrity status, headed to her house, became good friends, asked to join household. Confident vibe. Bought 2 mirrors. However, neither maxed the skill. My sim ended up with level 3, and Judith was almost at level 9.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2020, 07:40:14 AM »
I'm getting the feeling that I do not know enough about this game to ever score better than mediocre. I thought I had done research by googling what skills the landgraabs had lol.

oh by the way my fire was the dj station which is probably commonly known as a fire risk but as it was the first time I had played with that object it did surprise me.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2020, 12:29:58 PM »
I knew that clubs were powerful, and have used it in the past on my Wonder Child challenge.  But for some reason, I never think to use them in these challenges.

My fire producing object was also the bar.  I watched a sim practicing and she singed herself with the flames.  I finally understood how sometimes the bar would burn.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »
I remembered to use clubs about halfway through week 2. So I'm chalking that one down as a win.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline duskcheetah

• Nooboo
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2020, 03:24:53 PM »
I thought I was going to have a competitive score in this competition, but I didn't catch on to the importance of choosing households that already had skills leveled. If I didn't run out of time and had to submit early, I was on pace to max 13-14 skills. (Club bonuses and the 5-level skills were the main components of my strategy.)

My fire also happened when training the Mixology skill! I'm curious if that can happen with any bar or if it was related to the fact that I was using the Tiki bar from Island Living.

Offline SoulGal7

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2020, 06:07:43 PM »
@duskcheetah - I think it could potentially be any bar, as I had the portable bar and had a fire on that one.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #174 on: February 19, 2020, 07:24:22 PM »
My bar fires were on other bars also
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2020, 02:22:53 PM »
I had a lot of fires - it seems every time I go to the Spencer-Kim-Lewis house, Dennis is already at the grill and ALWAYS sets it on fire.  I also had a fire with the Tiki Bar, but I thought it was due to the fire that bar spews out - interesting to know it happens on other bars.  The one that surprised me, that I didn't know could happen, was the DJ station.  Maybe that is well-known, but I've never really played that skill except maybe once in another skill challenge, so I didn't realize it could happen.

Congrats to everyone who finished and especially @Sruixan, @LenaLJ, @Rainbow Dash, @Nikitachi and @Nandarelle for scores greater than 2020!

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »
Thanks, GlazeyLady

And my congratulations to Sruixan for a terribly good score.

I pretty much did what other have shared already. The main thing was joining Good Timers, purchasing the appropriate skill bonuses and moods, and rotating the club members to include the member of the current household. I also used lot traits wherever possible, which mostly meant visiting the public places of San Myshuno. I used mentoring where possible, and Amygdelight and GeekCon for logic (too bad there is only one telescope, the others had to make do with skill books during the festival).
The Sims were always in the correct emotion, but not always ‘very’. That’s probably something I could improve on. I never thought of using the holidays for happy moodlets, that’s brilliant. I just canceled all of them ahead of time.
I did notice something about teenagers. They seem to get in the ‘very’ emotion more easily than adults. For adults it takes +8 in moodlets, for teenagers only + 6.

Here are the skills and households I used:

Mixology                Weetikveel (my Sim – I was thinking I would use Amygdelight much more than I actually did)
Spencer-Kim-Lewis   Vampire lore
Villareal              Bowling
Rasoya         Cooking (cooking somewhere else and using the Rasoya’s for gourmet cooking would probably have been better)
Partypeople      Charisma
Caliente              Fitness
Lobo                 Comedy
Roomies              Media production
Fyres         Dancing
Goth                 Piano
Munch         Handiness
Vladislaus              Organ
Karaoke legends   Singing
Jang                 Painting
Bjergsen              Guitar
Mol                 Video gaming (generated household)
Feng                 Logic
Groen         Violin (generated household)
BFFs                 Welness
Kealoha              Fishing
Ngata         Photography

In Sims time, there’s a chance I could have added to my multiplier, by moving in with Salim Benali and making him write his heart out. But at that point, I had run out of real life time.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2020, 04:29:22 AM »
Congrats on the win @Sruixan, I have a question for you, you mentioned that you took the Bjergsens to Geekcon to max video gaming (I did the same but with a different family) and that Elsa has maxed mental skill. Was Else a teen when you played the Bjergsens? Just asking because I'm pretty sure children can't gain the video gaming skill as it would count as the mental skill.

Another question, not aimed at anybody, some people mentioned they used photography to increase friendship, do they mean they took selfies with the Sim they wanted a relationship boost with?

I didn't think to use holidays for a mood boost or days off, I just had the Sims take vacation/sick days and I used the charisma skill, club vibes and potions for moods mostly, along with an objects or traits the Sims had, oh and I got all the skill boosting rewards too, of course.

I have to admit, people here thought of quite a few things that I didn't and there were some things I didn't about such as kids being able to learn Vampire Lore and a Celebrity Perk that increases skills etc. I don't play with certain features of the Sims all that much and it shows, lol, maybe I should broaden my horizons a little.  ;)

On a completely unrelated note, my cat is checking out my notes for the current Vampire challenge ... :o

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2020, 04:47:29 AM »
@Rainbow Dash once kids have maxed out a childhood skill they can then gain points in some other related skills. As Elsa had already maxed mental she'd gain points in logic, fishing, videogaming and perhaps others I'm unaware of.

What I did was max logic with the Bjergsens and while doing it invited Olivia Spencer-Kim and Lucas Munch to the club so they were also levelling their mental skills so that when I went to the Spencer-Kim-Lewis house Olivia had already maxed mental and was ready to move on to fishing, and the same with Lucas and video gaming (which was also at Geek Con). I did a similar thing with the family I leveled piano with - Alex Goth was invited along to play piano with them so by the time I went to the Goth house he'd maxed creativity and could move on to violin at the same rate as the rest of his family.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2020, 07:22:54 PM »
@Rainbow Dash I took selfies with sims which seemed to improve relationships with them. I also took photos of just the other sim.

anything