Author Topic: Nuts for Collections  (Read 14773 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Nuts for Collections
« on: July 27, 2020, 06:19:38 AM »
Nuts for Collections

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Goal

It's probably not just me that is a bit nuts for collections. I know a few Sims that feel the same. So put on your shoes and search the world for all the collectables that are out there.

General Challenge Rules
The General Challenge Rules always apply.

Specific Challenge Rules
  • Sims 4 - Nifty Knitting is not allowed for this challenge
  • Create 2 YA Sims.
  • Spellcasters are allowed to be used. But the spell CopyPasto is not allowed
  • No adding to the household. Except for adopting pets.
  • No moving.
  • You are allowed to use the Buydebug cheat for the sole purpose of purchasing a satellite to prevent abductions.
  • Only the Nature Aspirations are allowed, but you can switch between them as you like.
  • All collections must be displayed on the lot. How you do it is up to you.
  • To counter that some people are very unlucky in getting the last item in a collection, you can buy a Knight of the Octagon Table as a replacement, but you have to deduct 5 points for each Knight.
  • You can only gain money by selling duplicate collection items.
  • It's not allowed to move a moneytree to the family inventory to gain multiple money tree seeds.
  • This challenge ends on Week 3, Day 1, 8 a.m.

Scoring

Spreadheet can be found here

CC (Complete Collections)** -   Give yourself 100 points for all completed collections. Please do not specify which collections you finished when posting.
**A complete collection means obtaining every possible item of any given type with all the expansion content you have installed. More expansions installed may mean you have more items to obtain for a certain collection.

AM (Aspiration Multiplier). This is a multiplier for finishing any of the components of any of the different Nature Aspirations. For level finished you add 5% to your starting multiplier of 1.00.

Total — Just multiply your Complete Collections and your AM together for your Total.

Here's an example:

It's week 3, Day 1, a.m., so it's time to stop playing. At that point, you have completed the Crystals, Elements, Metals, MySimTrophies, and Postcard collections (again, do not mention specific collection names when posting).But also bought 2 Knight of the Octagon Table to finish one of the collections.  You have also finished 3 Nature Aspirations (12 components) and 2 components of the remaining Aspiration.

5 complete collections = 5 X 100 = 500 pts
Minus 5 points for each Knight of the Octagon Table = 500-10 = 490 pts

AM = 1.00 + (14 components X .05) = 1.00 + .70 = 1.70

Total = 490 X 1.70 = 833

(In case 2 have the exact same score, the number of Knight of the Octagon Table will be used as tie breaker.)

Ch-Ch-Changes
The team does not want to edit and make changes to the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else we reserve the right to ask affected players to redo their effort.

Have Questions?
If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event, but the winner especially is expected to do so in detail.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                            CC     AM     Total     
Sruixan16653.00     4995
Nikitachi15703.00     4710
LenaLJ14753.00     4425
GlazeyLady13853.00     4155
Elinoee11703.10     3627
Turoskel13652.10     2866
Eighty8Keys10752.35     2526
Teresa9852.40     2364
ratchie9802.40     2352
Metropolis Man7902.40     1896
TimSim1014802.40     1152
Cuji-teri5901.90     1121
Noyo4902.25     1102
CynKuy3951.10     434

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Nuts for Collections
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 06:21:06 AM »
Lena wrote this rule set, so I just wanted to give her some props. :) Thanks, Lena.

Changes:

• Sims 4 - Nifty Knitting is not allowed for this challenge

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 07:07:09 AM »
Sounds fun I am definitely going to need some help with the scoring apparently 5 months in quarantine has broken my brain lol.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 08:13:32 AM »
We can add holidays this time, right?

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 09:39:01 AM »
I love collecting, so am looking forward to this one.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 10:07:48 AM »
Sounds fun I am definitely going to need some help with the scoring apparently 5 months in quarantine has broken my brain lol.

Rachel

I will make up a spreadsheet to help out with the scoring.

We can add holidays this time, right?

Nothing preventing you from doing it in this ruleset.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 10:13:22 AM »
Question...  all packs allowed or will knitting be disallowed?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 10:29:41 AM »
Question would disabling packs be considered cheating or strategy.

Rachel

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 11:56:30 AM »
Can both Sims work on the same aspiration for the multiplier or does each aspiration count only once? I assume that by components you mean that each individual part of an aspiration milestone is counted? So, for Angling Ace, Catch 5 Fish and Fish at 3 different locations each count for .05 or do we only count each milestone once it’s completed?

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 02:22:12 PM »
Question...  all packs allowed or will knitting be disallowed?

@Teresa, The stuff pack will not be allowed as it comes out less than 30 days before the event starts, so according to the general rules it will not be allowed.

Question would disabling packs be considered cheating or strategy.

Rachel

@ratchie, Strategy :)

Can both Sims work on the same aspiration for the multiplier or does each aspiration count only once? I assume that by components you mean that each individual part of an aspiration milestone is counted? So, for Angling Ace, Catch 5 Fish and Fish at 3 different locations each count for .05 or do we only count each milestone once it’s completed?

@reggikko, Yes both can work on the same aspiration.
By components we mean milestones, or levels.

Offline Mionax

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 03:47:35 AM »
"This challenge ends on Week 3, Day 1, 8 a.m."   Just to be sure, this is the 3rd Sunday?

1st day of challenge where we begin = Week 1, Day 1, 8 a.m.
The 2nd Sunday = Week 2, Day 1
The third Sunday = Week 3, Day 1 (ends at 8 a.m. this day)

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 03:02:44 PM »
@Mionax Exactly

Offline Highlander

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
Do you have to gather everything or can you buy/trade items? I generally complete the Snow Globe collection by buying them at the Flea Market. Same with the MySims trophies.

I would guess that the Scientist career is also out since you can only gain money from duplicate items.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 06:41:16 AM »
Do you have to gather everything or can you buy/trade items? I generally complete the Snow Globe collection by buying them at the Flea Market. Same with the MySims trophies.

Buying/trading is fine.

I would guess that the Scientist career is also out since you can only gain money from duplicate items.

Correct.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 01:22:26 PM »
Since one of the Nature aspirations is spellcaster-based, do I assume that everything spellcaster-related is allowed, as long as it doesn't bring money?

Can we sell collected goods that aren't part of any collection (you usually get a lot of these while fishing, etc.)?

Can we sell harvest we've grown? What about the Money Tree - can we sell its fruit as well?

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 01:29:18 PM »
AM (Aspiration Multiplier). This is a multiplier for finishing any of the components of any of the different Nature Aspirations. For level finished you add 5% to your starting multiplier of 1.00.

Since we have 2 sims, do we add up everyone's completed milestones, or can we count each completed one only once?
For example, if one of my sims completed a certain nature aspiration (all 4 milestones), and the other one only completed the first milestone of the same aspiration, do I count it as a total of 5 (25%), or 4 (20%)?

Another question: can we move items between sims' inventories?

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
Since one of the Nature aspirations is spellcaster-based, do I assume that everything spellcaster-related is allowed, as long as it doesn't bring money?

Can we sell collected goods that aren't part of any collection (you usually get a lot of these while fishing, etc.)?

Can we sell harvest we've grown? What about the Money Tree - can we sell its fruit as well?
I will return on the spell caster part, i need to investigate some things here first.

Regarding 2 and 3, you are only allowed to sell duplicate collectibles. So you cant sell things you collect that are not part of a collection. But you can sell the produce of your plants as they are duplicate of your collection.
Money tree only gives you money right? And not a seed you can sell, if that is the case it cannot be sold.

Since we have 2 sims, do we add up everyone's completed milestones, or can we count each completed one only once?
For example, if one of my sims completed a certain nature aspiration (all 4 milestones), and the other one only completed the first milestone of the same aspiration, do I count it as a total of 5 (25%), or 4 (20%)?

Another question: can we move items between sims' inventories?

You count it for both your sims, so you would get to count 5, for a multiplier of 0,25

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 07:58:31 AM »
While we've been waiting for the answers to previous questions, I gathered some more:

- Some collectible-based actions give you not only the items, but also simoleons. It's inevitable, you just can't get these items by other means. Is it okay?
- The Eco Innovator Aspiration requires selling at stage 2, joining a career at level 2 and completing the career at stage 3. Which of these are allowed?
- I have stumbled upon quite a common bug with 'Identify All Unidentified Plants' part. Some gathered fruits just don't give the option, no matter the Herbalism level. It is a confirmed bug, you can read here. Is it okay to complete the milestone with a cheat, when we complete the other two parts of the milestone normally, have level 10 herbalism and have gathered all 10 plants?

Dear team, I also kindly ask you to make your decision on Spellcasters at your earliest convenience. I have been practicing quite a lot now, using them, and I'd kind of prefer not to waste time if they end up not being allowed. Thank you.

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »
While we've been waiting for the answers to previous questions, I gathered some more:

- Some collectible-based actions give you not only the items, but also simoleons. It's inevitable, you just can't get these items by other means. Is it okay?
- The Eco Innovator Aspiration requires selling at stage 2, joining a career at level 2 and completing the career at stage 3. Which of these are allowed?
- I have stumbled upon quite a common bug with 'Identify All Unidentified Plants' part. Some gathered fruits just don't give the option, no matter the Herbalism level. It is a confirmed bug, you can read here. Is it okay to complete the milestone with a cheat, when we complete the other two parts of the milestone normally, have level 10 herbalism and have gathered all 10 plants?

Dear team, I also kindly ask you to make your decision on Spellcasters at your earliest convenience. I have been practicing quite a lot now, using them, and I'd kind of prefer not to waste time if they end up not being allowed. Thank you.

It took a bit longer time for me as i wanted to be sure exactly what made spellcasters different to normal sims. But it has been decided to allow spell casters, but their spell, CopyPasto is not allowed to be used. I will add that to the rules.

For your other questions:

1. You are not allowed to gain simoleons by any other means than selling duplicates.
2. Same as above, so if any of these give you any simoleons, they are off the table.
3. I have read the whole thread you linked. And to be honest, they have similiar problems, but its not sounding as its happening for everyone and not the same thing. So i think its best we take it up case by case if it should happen for anyone in their final files. So please write the team when/if you get to that point.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
Thank you for the answers, Lena!

So please write the team when/if you get to that point.

I already did. That is why I started my research and found that link. So, I'm pretty sure that it will happen again in my new file when the event starts. And so, you can already think of what to do.
Thank you for understanding.

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 04:33:46 AM »
I've only been playing for about a month (got the free base game but never touched it until now) so I'm still learning things, I just looked on the guide about collectables and I don't see it mentioned there either, is there somewhere in the game where you can see what you have collected and what's missing like there was in sims 3?

I've missed doing challenges since the sims 3 ones ended but this seems like one I could do with just the base game. I always found them a good way of learning game mechanics and the most efficient way of doing things, very helpful for dynasties.

EDIT: I found it! I had noticed that little diamond in inventory but my brain never connected the dots and my mouse never triggered the tool tip either  ::)

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »

Buying/trading is fine.

I'm a little unsure with this in regards to plants, does this mean we can buy seed packets or do we have to collect/graft everything?

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 05:29:11 AM »

Buying/trading is fine.

I'm a little unsure with this in regards to plants, does this mean we can buy seed packets or do we have to collect/graft everything?

Buying is fine.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
I just realized this opens tomorrow and I haven't even started planning.  Must make a spreadsheet...

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2020, 07:54:31 PM »
Island Living comes out tomorrow, so that's too soon to be allowed for this event. I added a ban in the rules.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2020, 08:04:40 PM »
Island Living comes out tomorrow, so that's too soon to be allowed for this event. I added a ban in the rules.

What comes out tomorrow?  Island Living has been out since June 2019, so is something else releasing tomorrow? 

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2020, 08:46:04 PM »

What comes out tomorrow?  Island Living has been out since June 2019, so is something else releasing tomorrow? 

Yeah, ignore my post. Origin screwed up and had a countdown of that coming out in 18 hours. It's gone now and I totally spaced out on the pack name not even realizing what was going on lol.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2020, 08:53:56 PM »

Yeah, ignore my post. Origin screwed up and had a countdown of that coming out in 18 hours. It's gone now and I totally spaced out on the pack name not even realizing what was going on lol.

We will blame it on Monday.  It is all Monday's fault. ;)

Offline furbyqueen

• Llama Wrangler
  • doo?
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2020, 05:26:03 PM »
Are spellcasters allowed?
***Fontaine Legacy [ON HIATUS]***

• Lauren
  • Lyla
  • Leah
  • LucyLyndon Lily
  • Leanne
  • Laney
  • Luna
  • Lorraine (A)
  • Lincoln (C)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2020, 06:16:04 PM »
Are spellcasters allowed?

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2020, 07:20:30 AM »
So I think I worked this out correctly but please tell me if I'm wrong.

14 complete collections

1400 - 35 (7 knights) = 1365

22 aspiration (11 milestones each) = 2.1

1265 x 2.1 = 2866.5 Total

Wasn't sure about the decimal, should it be rounded or left?

This was a frustrating but fun challenge, thanks Lena and team.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2020, 09:46:32 PM »
Nanabeth and Novaleah had a lot of fun collecting.  Great challenge, I really loved it - and I literally played all day today.

10 complete collections = 10 X 100 = 1,000 pts
Minus 5 points for each Knight of the Octagon Table = 1,000 - (3 knights x 15) = 985

AM = 1.00 + (28 components X .05) = 1.00 + 1.40 = 2.40

Total = 985 X 2.40 = 2,364

Offline Noyo

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2020, 12:59:40 PM »

My completed collections points and Knight of the Octagon minus is exact same on the example. :)

5 x 100 for collections, 2 x 5 = 10 points minus for Knight's, 490.

2 sims completed 25 components of nature aspirations; Aspiration multiplier is 2.25

Final score is 490 x 2.25 = 1.102 points, i could easily achieve 3 - 4 more collections, im aware of, strategy mistakes...

Finished on 1.102 pts then, have fun all. :)

Offline Elinoee

• magnapVE
  • Townie
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 04:13:18 PM »
Hello! I 've got some questions please:
-as gaining money is allowed only by selling duplicate collectible items,I guess exploring space with the rocket is off limits,because some missions may make you gain simoleons?
-are we allowed to sell only the duplicate collectible items we find,or is it ok to sell all duplicate items,even collectible items we buy?
-is it ok to sell items via every possible way existing in game,or only via inventory?
-is there a limit of knight of the octagon we are allowed to buy?

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »
Okay, I think I'm actually going to need some clarification about the limitation on making simoleons. There are at least two collections that give you a monetary reward upon completion; I only knew about one of them, and was more than prepared to leave it incomplete and buy a statue to polish it off, but I've just discovered a second literally at the end of my test run and now I'm paranoid that there's more. Since this was really only a test, I wasn't able to finish all the collections I intend to aim for in my real file, so as things currently stand I'm worried that I'll accidentally invalidate my playthrough by stumbling across a third, hence the need for some clarification...

(also, as Nikitachi's pointed out, there are some... interesting consequences of not being able to make money in any other way, and I very quickly broke the rule in this test file without necessarily meaning to... at least I know what not to do now!)

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2020, 12:05:43 PM »
Hello! I 've got some questions please:
-as gaining money is allowed only by selling duplicate collectible items,I guess exploring space with the rocket is off limits,because some missions may make you gain simoleons?
-are we allowed to sell only the duplicate collectible items we find,or is it ok to sell all duplicate items,even collectible items we buy?
-is it ok to sell items via every possible way existing in game,or only via inventory?
-is there a limit of knight of the octagon we are allowed to buy?

Only gaining simoleons is off limits, so if you know you will gain them by doing certain actions you should not do the action.
All duplicate collection items can be sold as the only way to gain simoleons. No restrictions on how you sell them.

And no limit on the knights, just remember they affect your score.

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2020, 12:09:48 PM »
Okay, I think I'm actually going to need some clarification about the limitation on making simoleons. There are at least two collections that give you a monetary reward upon completion; I only knew about one of them, and was more than prepared to leave it incomplete and buy a statue to polish it off, but I've just discovered a second literally at the end of my test run and now I'm paranoid that there's more. Since this was really only a test, I wasn't able to finish all the collections I intend to aim for in my real file, so as things currently stand I'm worried that I'll accidentally invalidate my playthrough by stumbling across a third, hence the need for some clarification...

(also, as Nikitachi's pointed out, there are some... interesting consequences of not being able to make money in any other way, and I very quickly broke the rule in this test file without necessarily meaning to... at least I know what not to do now!)

You can only gain money by selling duplicate collectibles items. Nothing else.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »
Only gaining simoleons is off limits, so if you know you will gain them by doing certain actions you should not do the action.

So as far as I know, I didn't gain simoleons anyway other than selling duplicate items.  But, I ran rocket missions - don't know that I gained simoleons on them (not that I noticed), but leads to my question.  What if we don't know we will gain simoleons doing something, and then they come as a surprise? 

I didn't knowingly do anything to gain simoleons other than selling duplicates, and I don't know that I actually gained simoleons doing anything off limits, but now I am wondering if I did something I shouldn't have.

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2020, 01:02:42 PM »
So as far as I know, I didn't gain simoleons anyway other than selling duplicate items.  But, I ran rocket missions - don't know that I gained simoleons on them (not that I noticed), but leads to my question.  What if we don't know we will gain simoleons doing something, and then they come as a surprise? 

I didn't knowingly do anything to gain simoleons other than selling duplicates, and I don't know that I actually gained simoleons doing anything off limits, but now I am wondering if I did something I shouldn't have.

Yeah, these concerns are now playing on my mind too. Just now, in a new file, I used debug to complete a collection that I'd achieved in my test run and discovered that completing it gave me simoleons, a fact I'd completely missed while playing previously! So not only is it completely possible to gain simoleons by surprise, it's also awkwardly plausible that the gain will be missed...

EDIT: yep, I'd have disqualified myself had I not come up with this debug wheeze - one of the collections where I was missing just one item in the test run has a hefty cash reward, and it would have taken me completely by surprise!

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2020, 01:35:00 PM »
I talked with Metropolis Man about it. And its really hard for us to change any rules two weeks into a challenge.

I for one have never really noticed that i gained simoleons by completing a collection, as that was not where my focus was when completing the challenge. So if i had tested one of those collections it would have come as a shock for me. Same goes for the space trips, they normally cost me simoleons instead as my rocket breaks.

So only work around for this i can come up with is that if you unintentional gain a bit of simoleons by doing something to gain a collectible item or complete a collection then this wont disqualify you, but you should not do it again. If we talk about a ammount of simoleons that would really impact that you could buy a extra knight, then please PM the team so we can take up what we do from there.

If anyone feels this makes them want to do a restart of the challenge, please do so, but I know there is only a week left of the challenge, so I apologise for this.

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2020, 01:50:09 PM »
There's no neat way around it, that's for sure, so what you've said is entirely fair. My debug experiment has ended up confusing me, in fact, because I've now been given cash rewards for eight collections, two of which I am like 95% sure I have never been given simoleons for before! I'm wondering if this might have been a thing that got changed at some point...

(as it stands, I've had §100 five times and §150, §500 & §5,000 one time each - I've got to stop for now, but I'm definitely gonna keep going later on tonight...)

Offline Elinoee

• magnapVE
  • Townie
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2020, 01:52:35 PM »
Ok,thanks to the team for answering.

Doing space missions often gave me some simoleons (no big amounts,max 200-300 I think) in my testing file.
But it's the only way to get space rocks. Is then this collection off limits for the challenge?  Are space missions allowed,or not?

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »
I have never collected cash awards for completing collections. This is something I watch closely. I am a lover of the collection part of the game. When I am in game later today I will pay closer attention to this and see, but in research every site and rereading Carls guide for collecting, nothing is stated about this anywhere.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2020, 02:21:20 PM »
I for one have never really noticed that i gained simoleons by completing a collection, as that was not where my focus was when completing the challenge. So if i had tested one of those collections it would have come as a shock for me. Same goes for the space trips, they normally cost me simoleons instead as my rocket breaks.

So only work around for this i can come up with is that if you unintentional gain a bit of simoleons by doing something to gain a collectible item or complete a collection then this wont disqualify you, but you should not do it again. If we talk about a ammount of simoleons that would really impact that you could buy a extra knight, then please PM the team so we can take up what we do from there.

If anyone feels this makes them want to do a restart of the challenge, please do so, but I know there is only a week left of the challenge, so I apologise for this.

That sounds fair @LenaLJ.  I am not going to restart.

And yeah, I spent a lot of money repairing the rocket and they never did have much in the bank, so if they did receive something unintentional, it wasn't enough to help them out any, or to be noticed.

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2020, 02:48:51 PM »
I don't remember getting any money from rocket ship missions that I completed. I also think if I had and it was a large amount I would have noticed the increase in funds.

EDIT: Just did some testing and of the missions I know I did I didn't get any money reward just a collectable if I got lucky.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »
I don't remember getting any money from rocket ship missions that I completed. I also think if I had and it was a large amount I would have noticed the increase in funds.

EDIT: Just did some testing and of the missions I know I did I didn't get any money reward just a collectable if I got lucky.

That makes me feel a little more secure. :)

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2020, 07:09:46 PM »
My Sims complete collections pretty frequently and I don't think I've ever gotten cash. In another file today, my Sim completed the fossil collection and received no cash.

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2020, 07:22:16 PM »
Okay, I've absolutely no idea if this works, but can folks watch this short video of me getting cash for completing a collection? Sorry that the quality's so poor - I've never used the built-in recording function, so I imagine there's a setting to change the resolution that I totally missed...

(I started a brand-new game and used debug to get the items required - this was just the first collection I found all the items for and was not deliberately chosen)

Offline reggikko

• Watcher
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2020, 07:37:55 PM »
Okay, I was just able to reproduce this in my game. That has to have changed since Eco Lifestyle. Bizarre.

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2020, 07:54:02 PM »
On the one hand, I'm super glad to hear that someone else has seen this happen because it means I'm not going crazy... but on the other, it creates a bit of an awkward situation with regards to this challenge! It wouldn't surprise me if it had been a post-Eco Lifestyle change, along with the incredibly broken environment system and at least one other annoying thing that I found out earlier on in testing... so, uh, profound apologies to you Lena - there was nothing wrong with your rules, and then the game had to go and change on you!

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2020, 05:38:29 AM »
Just tested this myself and got the following results, bear in mind I only have base game and didn't myself complete all of these in my challenge, I also haven't done fishing yet but I'm guessing it will be similar to gardening.

Anyway these are the amounts I got for completing collections via debug.

Frogs + 500
My Sims + 100
Metals + 100
Crystals + 100
Elements + 100
Postcards + 100
Fossils + 100
Microscope Prints + 100
Space Prints + 100
Aliens + 100
Space Rocks + 100
Eggs + 100
Skulls + 100
Plushies + 150
Posters + 500
Gardening + 500

But here is the real kicker Magic Beans + 5000

Assuming for now fishing is the same as gardening I would not have earnt enough from collections alone for another knight, but added to exisitng funds I can't say for certain that I couldn't afford one because of it.

Only thing I can think of is if the amounts for all collections were worked out (I don't know what else there is) then we could remove that from funds before buying knights maybe.

I shall send my sims off fishing now to check that one out.

EDIT: Well it took a while, stupid anglerfish  ::) but fishing is same as gardening with + 500

I also loaded up my final challenge save, I had more simoleans left than the amount I would have made from collections, but not enough to finish another one by buying knights so my score hasn't really changed, which makes me feel better.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »
I have all the packs, so now you got me testing the rest of the collections.

Voidcritter cards +100
Omiscan artifacts +1000
City Posters +500
Snowglobes +500
Experimental Food +100
Feathers +100
Insects +100

There were a few collections I couldn't figure out how to complete in Debug.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2020, 10:20:15 AM »
Wow guys, it all snowglobed into a very confusing matter...
Maybe you should have just allowed money income from completing collections and doing collection-based activities from the start. It's not one can intentionally and unlimitedly repeat anyway...

And I still didn't get it, I'm afraid.
If I know that a certain Space Rocket mission can give me some simoleons, do I just have to cancel this certain mission if it appears? Or does it mean I can't use the spaceship at all?

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2020, 10:59:22 AM »
The way I understand is if you know that a certain mission gives simoleons, cancel it.  Otherwise you can use the spaceship.

Offline Elinoee

• magnapVE
  • Townie
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »
Ok,bit I did not note which missions gave me some simoleons in my testing file...
I don't know what to do with this spaceship now .

I didn't even realize that completing some collections gave me simoleons...this challenge is becoming complicated!

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2020, 11:22:30 AM »
This was just a try on a fun collection challenge with a twist.
I really hope we can put this confusion behind us today.

As we all now gain simoleons by completing collections this is ofcause fine, as else it would invalide the whole challenge.
And use the rocketship, but if anyone know the 5000 k mission let us now so we atleast can try to avoid it. (I dont think i have ever seen it myself)

The offer still stands for those that want to restart their challenge.

Offline Elinoee

• magnapVE
  • Townie
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2020, 02:13:37 PM »
Ok,thanks @LenaLJ   :)
So no worries if the gains while collecting are under 5000 simoleons,fine!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2020, 03:13:47 PM »
I have been enjoying Last Epoch for those of you who enjoy ARPG style games -- it's really good. No multiplayer yet, so I am looking forward to when that is implemented so I can play with friends. Anyways, I tore myself away from that to finish this up --

8 complete collections minus 2 Knights = 790
AM - 28 components = 1 + 1.40 = 2.40

790 X 2.40 = 1896

-----------------

This challenge ends Sunday night so good luck to everyone finishing up.

Offline Elinoee

• magnapVE
  • Townie
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2020, 08:04:47 PM »
I think I have never collected so many things while playing the sims 4  :D

I ended up with 12 complete collections,minus 6 knights of the octagon table -> 1170
Multiplier: 21 components for each sim =42 -> 1+2.10= 3.10

1170x3.10= 3627

Offline Cugi-terl

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2020, 05:34:17 PM »
I had loads of fun with this challenge!
I completed 6 collections, minus two knights, so 590.
My sims had 18 components completed between them.

590x1.9= 1,121

Online Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2020, 08:09:38 PM »
Lots of fun!!

11 complete collections, minus 5 knights = 1075
27 components between the two sims = 2.35

1075 x 2.35 = 2526

Offline TimSim101

• Nooboo
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2020, 09:05:49 PM »
I have to confess I've reverted back to playing The Sims 2 nonstop thanks to its amazing replayability factor with new found custom content and mods. ;D

Nevertheless, in spit of overall gameplay lacking imo, there's something to be said for collecting in the Sims 4 and how addictive it got the more I played. Once I got my legacy version up and running on the PC (lots of fiddling), I got the following:

5 collections completed, minus 4 knights = 480
Colette Tore and Cole Hector got 28 components between them = 2.4

480 x 2.4 = 1152

Will be interested to hear the winning strategies given seemingly luck of the draw prevented me from completing a couple and getting some done super quick.

Also I'll be playing on the PS4 version in the next challenge, I hope that's allowed.

Offline CynKuy

• Occult
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2020, 09:19:01 PM »
My Sims finished 4 collections minus one knight = 395.
They completed 2 aspiration levels for a multiplier of 1.1
395 x 1.1 = 434 points total.

Hope everyone had fun.
Cynthia

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2020, 12:29:13 AM »
My Sims finished with 14 collections using a total of 3 knights = 1400 - 15 = 1385
They completed 40 aspiration levels total for a multiplier of 3
1385 x 3 = 4155 points total.

Awesome challenge @LenaLJ

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2020, 10:00:44 AM »
10 complete collections with 4 knights 1000 minus 20 for 4 knights equals 980
Am 2.40
Total 2352

I thought I liked collecting it turns out I do not lol. I gave up halfway through week 2 and cannot make myself play again so I'm posting what I managed to complete. The last two collections i was working on can remain uncollected. 

Rachel

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2020, 10:26:38 AM »
I thought I liked collecting it turns out I do not lol.

I laughed at that. :) I do not know how many events we have had over the years where you and I have finished right next to each other — I've lost count.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2020, 11:26:49 AM »
@Metropolis Man nobody else I would rather be next to

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »
Wow, only 45 minutes till midnight! I think I've never been that close to a challenge deadline... :D

17 complete collections = 17 X 100 = 1700 pts
6 Knights of the Octagon Table = 1700-30 = 1670 pts
Milestones completed = 40

AM = 1.00 + (40 components X .05) = 1.00 + 2.00 = 3.00
Total = 1670 X 3.00 = 5,010 points

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2020, 04:57:44 PM »
Still working on an it issue for work. so better turn this in now before time runs away.

15 completed collections with 5 knight’s bought
40 aspiration levels complete.

Math is a bit hard for me right now but hope this is right.

1465*3 = 4395

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »
Math is a bit hard for me right now but hope this is right.

1465*3 = 4395

You got the 3.00 right, but it's 1475.

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2020, 06:58:58 PM »
Eden Jaar & Milo Jewell suffered heavily from overambition and my lack of foresight, even if they had some utterly ridiculous wheezes up their sleeves when it came to getting certain items. In the end, they were defeated by a very silly sequence of events that occurred in their final 24 hours... well, okay, plus a whole heap of other things, the RNG chief amongst them, but seriously. It's like the game was punishing me for playing down to the wire, I swear. Their final score is both hilarious and mildly frustrating:

17 complete collections requiring 7 knights = 1700 - (7 x 5) = 1665
20 aspiration tiers each => a multiplier of 1 + (20 x 0.05) = 3
Total: 1665 x 3 = 4995

(so yeah well done Nikitachi for needing one knight less than me!)

Offline mismck

• Townie
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2020, 05:07:47 AM »
Work destroyed my Sim time for this event  :(
Hopefully I will be able to find time for the next one.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2020, 06:18:34 AM »
This event is now closed.

Congratulations to Nikitachi on a solid win. It ended up being a very close fight with Sruixan a mere knight's worth of points behind. Everyone is now free to discuss strategy. My thanks to Lena for coming up with the idea for this event.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2020, 06:33:18 AM »
Thank you!

I may take a day or so to write my strategy, sorry for that.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2020, 10:17:14 AM »
@Teresa - I just wanted to give you a quick shout out to how cool it is to always follow up a forum event with a story on your site. Very entertaining. For those of you interested, check out Teresa's latest entry —

http://lovemysims.com/2020-11-nuts-for-collections/

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2020, 11:33:23 AM »
Thanks @Metropolis Man.  I have found over the years that it is the easiest way for me to track my thought process and approach for all kinds of challenges and legacies. :)

I have always enjoyed collecting in game, but when put on a short clock I realized that it is a lot easier when you have the whole lifespan or even several generations to get things done.  And of course, I didn't do any practicing, because I 'knew what I was doing".  Ha!

Collections Completed
Postcards - I had Nanabeth make all the pen pal friends and send the letter.  Once they were all ready, she requested a post card from everyone and they all came in the mail the same day.
Microscope Prints - Novaleah was working on this one, and she spent a lot of time here while Nanabeth was working on the rocket.
Space Rocks - Nanabeth ran space missions until she completed this collection.
Geodes - Once she mastered Rocket Science, she made a couple of trips to Sixam to collect these.  The collection completed quickly, and then she made a few more trips for aliens and picked up more duplicates to sell.
Decorative Eggs - The first thing they did was create a holiday for the Egg Hunt, then they went to the park to collect eggs.  Another good one with lots of duplicates to sell.
Voidcritter Cards - I wasn't sure that this one would be completed, as the last few cards can be ornery.  But it was, so that was good.
Holiday Plushies - Nanabeth bought crackers and was able to complete this one also.
Frogs (+Knight) - The one missing frog that they never could find was the Heart.  Literally a common frog and they never, ever, found one.
Elements (+Knight) - I knew pretty early that they weren't going to complete the crystals and metals, but the elements was a possibility.  They sent off all duplicates to be broken into elements and came up one short at the end.
Aliens (+Knight) - Another collection where they were missing just one.  This was from the space missions, and the reason Novaleah was an alien - duplicate dead aliens could be brought back to life.  Unfortunately, they never found the missing alien.

After I submitted my score, I realized that I could have completed three more collections - I limited myself to only completing collections that were missing one item.  I still would have had a positive gain on points if I had completed collections missing two items.  They had enough funds to purchase three more knights, but I thought about this too late so would have had to find duplicates to sell to afford more knights, but whatever. :) LOL

I started in Sulani on the Oceanic Paradise lot to help with fishing.  It wasn't until late in the process that I realized the lot trait wasn't doing anything for the fishing since they were leaving the lot to fish.

While I had them work on aspirations, I didn't put a lot of pressure on them, having them complete the easier ones only.

@LenaLJ -I loved this challenge and had a lot of fun with it. 

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2020, 12:04:32 PM »
After I submitted my score, I realized that I could have completed three more collections - I limited myself to only completing collections that were missing one item.  I still would have had a positive gain on points if I had completed collections missing two items.

Wait... we could do that?! I was working under the apprehension that knights could only replace the last item missing from a collection... and even if I didn't change the bit at the end where Milo blew §10,000+ on Voidcritters in a failed attempt to get Dicoatl and used the cash to buy rare seed packets instead, my fossil collection was at 18/20...

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2020, 12:37:23 PM »
After I submitted my score, I realized that I could have completed three more collections - I limited myself to only completing collections that were missing one item.  I still would have had a positive gain on points if I had completed collections missing two items.

Wait... we could do that?! I was working under the apprehension that knights could only replace the last item missing from a collection... and even if I didn't change the bit at the end where Milo blew §10,000+ on Voidcritters in a failed attempt to get Dicoatl and used the cash to buy rare seed packets instead, my fossil collection was at 18/20...

Maybe we couldn't.  It was something that I thought of after submitting my score, so I never asked.

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2020, 01:05:17 PM »
Though I don't have the time right now to drop strategy deets, I have assembled this summary of my efforts:

Completed Collections
DECORATIVE EGGS - Tuesday Week 1, 12:57am
FROGS - Sunday Week 2, 7:28am
SNOW GLOBES - Sunday Week 2, 4:52pm
MYSIMS TROPHIES - Sunday Week 2, 5:58pm
POSTCARDS - Thursday Week 2, 4:00am
SPACE ROCKS - Thursday Week 2, 6:25am
HOLIDAY CRACKER PLUSHIES -Thursday Week 2, 2:47pm
CRYSTALS - Saturday Week 2, 3:43am
FEATHERS - Saturday Week 2, 7:15pm
EXPERIMENTAL FOOD PHOTOS - Sunday Week 3, 4:02am

Collections Finished With Knights
GEODES (Eye of the Stormbore)
SPACE PRINTS (Saturn Return)
METALS (Furium)
ELEMENTS (Firaxium)
SEASHELLS (Blue Sea Urchin)
MAGIC BEANS (Flirty)
VOIDCRITTERS (Dicoatl)

Others
FOSSILS - 18/20 (Sim Head & 3-Toed Sloth)
GARDENING - 69/73 (Pomegranate, Orchid, UFO & Forbidden Fruit)
ANCIENT OMISCAN ARTEFACTS - 10/16
BURIED TREASURE - 12/18
FISH - 34/51
...plus nine insects, three aliens, a couple of magical artefacts and a sugar skull.

And now, for my first-ever usage of this Highslide thumbnail thingy, the collections in all their (hastily arranged) glory:

(...so, uh, funny story - during challenge play, I arranged my collections on and around the longer wall in the images (though I kept the elements and space prints around for their Focused auras), and though everything was on display the moment the challenge ended, I've just been in the file again to tidy it up for these pics. I waited for a little bit in the hopes that the late-morning shadows wouldn't be quite as dire as they were at the 8am cut-off (they weren't), during which time Eden and Milo's cowplant finally grew. That would have been two more aspiration tiers right there...)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2020, 05:58:51 PM »

Yes, you could use more than one knight on a collection - in fact, the example provided says, ". . .  also bought 2 Knight of the Octagon Table to finish one of the collections".

Offline Sruixan

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2020, 07:48:51 PM »
Ah, botherations. I absolutely would have changed my strategy in that case; my assumption was that too much replacement would turn this into a moneymaking challenge as opposed to a collecting one (what would stop you from using four knights to satisfy the Space Rocks, for instance?) and took talk of the "last item" of a collection in the rules to mean precisely that. I'm on my phone right now so I can't provide a proper quote from the initial post, but this is the line I based this interpretation on:

To counter that some people are very unlucky in getting the last item in a collection, you can buy a Knight of the Octagon Table as a replacement, but you have to deduct 5 points for each Knight.

Serves me right for not referring to the scoring example, I suppose...

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2020, 08:47:02 PM »

Wait... we could do that?! I was working under the apprehension that knights could only replace the last item missing from a collection.

And you are correct...

• To counter that some people are very unlucky in getting the last item in a collection, you can buy a Knight of the Octagon Table as a replacement, but you have to deduct 5 points for each Knight.

Hindsight is always 20/20, so we could have made it more explicit by stating you may only purchase a Knight if you miss one collection item.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2020, 10:16:13 PM »

Wait... we could do that?! I was working under the apprehension that knights could only replace the last item missing from a collection.

And you are correct...

Hindsight is always 20/20, so we could have made it more explicit by stating you may only purchase a Knight if you miss one collection item.

Hey @Metropolis Man, I answered previously (but after the challenge ended) that it was within the rules to use more than 1 Knight for a collection; in fact I did that myself.  I was actually going to ask Lena while I was playing the challenge, but in rereading the rules and scoring, I saw that the example provided indicates that is allowed - the scoring example includes "It's week 3, Day 1, a.m., so it's time to stop playing. At that point, you have completed the Crystals, Elements, Metals, MySimTrophies, and Postcard collections (again, do not mention specific collection names when posting).But also bought 2 Knight of the Octagon Table to finish one of the collections.  You have also finished 3 Nature Aspirations (12 components) and 2 components of the remaining Aspiration."

Also, the spreadsheet provides a place to indicate the number of Knights for each collection.

Maybe @Lena can weigh in on this since it was her challenge, but I feel like the scoring example and the spreadsheet both indicate that multiple Knights could be used on one collection.

Offline LenaLJ

• Watcher
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2020, 01:45:13 AM »
My plan was that you could use more than one knight in a collection, that is why i tried to hard to limit the gold income by only gaining from selling duplicate items.

Offline Elinoee

• magnapVE
  • Townie
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2020, 09:09:49 AM »
Oh,I really thought that we could only replace the last item of a collection,as it is said in the rules.
If I had knew before that we could buy more than one knight of the octagon I could have completed more collections (I had some money left!)
And I would have play with another strategy,too.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2020, 04:01:28 AM »
Dear challenge team and players, I have a very important message.
While writing my strategy in detail, I found a mistake in my score. Due to the fact that the game highlights a completed collection after you find all the base game items, I wrongly added myself an extra collection - I collected all the base game fossils, but didn't find 3 of 5 Selvadorian ones, but when counting the completed collections, I just counted the highlights, so skipped this fact.
So my real score is only 4,710, and I am not the winner actually.
My deepest apologies to the real winner - @Sruixan - and to @Metropolis Man for having to recalculate the World Ranking now  :'(
Hope it won't take too much time to fix.

And now onto my strategy.

I mostly used @GlazeyLady 's strategy of the '2018 Tournament Finale: That Belongs in a Museum!' event.

First things first: I decided to play with two Spellcasters, for a number of reasons. A - it saves some time for the Purveyor of Potions aspiration (you don't need to spend time turning into a spellcaster, as you already are one). B - the Potion of Plentiful Needs is very easy to make a whole batch of, and it will fulfill all your needs quickly each time you need it. And finally C - the most important one - the brooms let you move much, MUCH faster than walking/running which saves A TON of time when you're running around for dig sites and any other means.

Next, onto the collections. After quite a lot of practice, I decided to give up on Gardening and Fishing collections - I have all extensions installed, so they are now too large and very hard to complete, especially the Fishing one. I could maybe still finish Gardening if I had more simoleons available at the end of the game, but I didn't - my main source of income was growing and harvesting Lilies, but having too many plants on a lot makes my game too laggy - and it only got worse after the September 6 game upgrade (and the funny thing is, I played my whole game on the very last day, which was September 6). Which also brings me to one more point to mention... did they change the work of Flea Market in this upgrade? Before, I could buy all 15 Snowglobes at once, and all MySim trophies - now they displayed only 13 Snowglobes, and also less MySim trophies than usual  >:(

So, what collections did I finish and how did I do it?

• Frogs - gathering them mostly at the home lot, then breeding accordingly.
  • MySim trophies - dig sites, Flea Market.
  • Metals - dig sites, Flea Market, Selvadorada (two), and used 3 Knights (the funniest thing is that the missing ones were two common and one uncommon).
  • Crystals - dig sites, Flea Market, computer, planet Sixam (two), Selvadorada (two).
  • Elements - sending extra Crystals and Metals to Geo Council.
  • Postcards - computer.
  • Aliens - Rocket (spent way too much time trying to find the last one - finally found it, but I should have just used another Knight).
  • Meteorites - Rocket (same as above, but still failed to find the rarest one, so wasted time and still had to use a Knight).
  • Geodes - Sixam.
  • Easter Eggs - made a holiday and searched the bushes in the Willow Creek park.
  • Experimental food photos - bought a Chef station and kept hiring a chef to cook them. Took quite a lot of money, since the game was lagging and I usually only managed to get one dish, or two at the very best, from one hiring.
  • Voidcritters - buying cards from the computer (again, spent a ton of money trying to find the last one, probably should have just used a Knight).
  • Plushies from holiday crackers - bought from computer and opened.
  • Magic Beans - rare seed packs from the computer.
  • Feathers - didn't adopt any cats, just used a lot trait that attracts cats, placed 6 bushes onto a lot and let the stray cats come and attack them, then just gathered the feathers; after finishing the collection, just removed the lot trait.
  • Snowglobes - bought 13 of 15 at the Flea Market and used 2 Knights.
Total: 16 collections, 6 Knights.

And finally, the Aspirations' milestones (both sims completed exactly the same milestones, so multiply by two):
  • Outdoor Enthusiast - 3 of 4 (didn't want to spend time sleeping in a tent)
  • The Curator - 4 of 4 (this one was the first to be completed for the bonus trait)
  • Freelance Botanist - 3 of 4 (failed to evolve 10 Excellent Plants, even with GlazeyLady's guide)
  • Eco Innovator Aspiration - 1 of 4 (milestone 2 and above were prohibited due to profit gain)
  • Angling Ace - 4 of 4 (straightforward).
  • Purveyor of Potions - 3 of 4 (didn't want to waste time on the final one)
  • Jungle Explorer - 2 of 4 (failed to defend against 2 natural dangers)
Total: 20x2=40

The picture of my collections will be posted later, thank you for your patience!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2020, 05:09:33 AM »
Dear challenge team and players, I have a very important message.
While writing my strategy in detail, I found a mistake in my score. Due to the fact that the game highlights a completed collection after you find all the base game items, I wrongly added myself an extra collection - I collected all the base game fossils, but didn't find 3 of 5 Selvadorian ones, but when counting the completed collections, I just counted the highlights, so skipped this fact.
So my real score is only 4,710, and I am not the winner actually.
My deepest apologies to the real winner - @Sruixan - and to @Metropolis Man for having to recalculate the World Ranking now  :'(
Hope it won't take too much time to fix.

No worries, Nikitachi. Thank you for your honesty. :)

Offline Turoskel

• Watcher
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2020, 05:21:32 AM »
Reading your post Nikitachi makes me sort of glad I only have the base game but the Spellcaster stuff sounds helpful.

I made a married couple, Maria and Walter, and used the empty lot near the Goth house.

Maria was the main collector, each day she ran the circuit around the neighbourhood, and also hopping from one neighbourhood to the next collecting all the dig spots/frogs while Walter worked on handiness at home (it didn't really help him much, it's very slow)

Walter concentrated on gardening and building handiness, they swapped roles briefly only to get some of the aspirations milestones done.

When at home they worked on the prints and plushies, Maria did the postcards, and they both did fishing.

I built the rocket about the middle of week two, I knew what missions I wanted so if it wasn't one of those I just cancelled it.

Comm Alert - Moon Colony - Warn Planet - Get an Alien.

Lost in A Nebula - Forge Forward - If lucky find a Golden Planet and get up to 3 items, if not nothing.

A sighting - the chance of a space rock.

A Lush Planet - Land near ruins - leave artifacts - get a rock.

Accidental bootlegger - hide cargo - this might get you a rock or if lucky a ufo plant which is how I got mine and completed the gardening collection.

Derelict Vessel - Geology Lab/Science Lab - Keep Looking - geology gives a space rock, science gives an alien.

By the middle of week 3 when all I had left to find were some aliens, crystals and elements I made a second rocket and they both started doing missions, mostly on speed 3 which proved a mistake as my cowplant had bugged out and turned into a sprout thanks to the gardening bug, I couldn't see it but apparently Maria could and she ate his invisible cake before I could stop her so that was fun  ::) I put him in family inventory after that just to be safe.

Collections Completed:

Frogs
Gardening
My Sims
Postcards
Fossils
Microscope Prints
Space Prints
Space Rocks
Fish
Plushies
Magic Beans