Author Topic: The (Ordinary) Lives of Barnacle Bay PART 1 COMPLETED  (Read 37407 times)

CandyHeartedSim

Re: The (Ordinary) Lives of Barnacle Bay
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2011, 01:47:37 AM »
This story is just amazing, it's so original!

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2011, 06:25:44 AM »
Yay, updates! Monika's new hairstyle really suits her, and the Steel kids are turning out splendidly! And I didn't mention this before, but I absolutely love the Fang triplets' names. I tend to go for a similar theme when I name vampires (I've currently got vampires named Stoker, Magpie and Venison). I like how the girls ended up with different hair and skin tones. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2011, 06:36:06 AM »
I love, love, love the screenshots - if only my internet was faster! But that, doesn't matter, of course. Well done with the pics! ;D

Birthdays everywhere - happy birthday everyone! The kids turned up so cute, Monika too. I love her hairstyle as well.

The kids' rooms are awesome - I love the new Generations decorations, they suit quite well. Awesome update, Pally, you never fail to impress me. :D
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2011, 07:51:59 AM »
oh wow thanks for all the nice comments everyone :) *blushes*

I love Monika's hairstyle too. And I chose the Fang's names by looking up gothic names. I love their colouring, and it's all natural except I gave Belladonna her mum's hair colour (she had plain black like Chimera) so that at least one would inherit that. Isolde's looks were a real surprise, but a good surprise, I think she has a very unusual beauty.

Did you like the pick of Jason in the princess costume? I thought I'd just have to try that, and it was hilarious.

I am already way into the Steels. I'm liking this 8 day round very much. I have the next 4 weeks off mostly so expect lots of updates. I'm already dreaming about each family's pets for the next expansion, but I'm getting a little ahead of myself there I think :P.

DayspringSylph

« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2011, 11:22:15 AM »
I love this story! What pattern are you using for Rebecca's room - the one for bed covers and the curtains? I love that!

Natsuko

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »
So, how many rounds are there going to be? I really love this story, can't wait to read more!

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2011, 06:03:59 AM »
Thank you natsuko and dayspring! The pattern I used for Rebecca's room is almost identical to a pattern in fabrics that seems to be new with generations. I only changed the background to white instead of black, but you should be able to recognise it when you see it. I love it, it's perfect for her room.
As for how many rounds, well, as long as I stay interested really, so indefinitely? Until sims 4? No promises, but that's what i see happening. And I'm just about to post the Steel story tonight - yes 8 day rounds are here to stay! :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2011, 07:48:14 AM »
The 2nd family in Round 3 is the Steels! They've moved to a new house, right next door, (from the swap shop) and did enormous renovations to make it look more like their modern style, with room for 2 cars in the garage, and a big front lawn for parties. But it looks like they won't have much time for parties, because...
Finally Christopher and Blair hear the chimes in bed. They excitedly expect the birth of their child. Meanwhile, both are doing well at work. Christopher is continuing to take the kind approach to ghost busting, though he is not always successful. His latest client was Bobby Sargeant, but after finding not a trace of ghosts at his property (yes even the secret basement), and finding nothing, Chris has a hunch that Bobby was just trying to be 'normal'. Chris also deghosted the Fang's house, and rid the Malifa home of poltergeists. Chris has also found a hobby for his free time - mining. He couldn't resist buying the miner for sale at the consignment store, and quickly got to work in the backyard. Already he's finding small gems and metals, and exploring the holes is a lot of fun. He finds everything from a hidden gnome society, to a monster asleep in a replica of stonehenge. Blair is also shining bright in the community. Her latest celebrity oppurtunity was to dance at the Grind, and she did so with her hubby and nicely-rounded belly.

Christopher, in a moment of insanity, tries to throw a party while Blair is heavily pregnant. At least he has the good sense to rush his wife to the hospital when he hears the splash of water. The party is a huge failure, but Blair gives birth to their new son with no trouble at all. Keeping fit for her job (police lieutenant) did her good. Christopher, having spent the day before at the telescope, names their son Mercury, and surprises his wife with a bunch of flowers in her favourite colour. Little Mercury may have the traits of 'Neurotic' and 'Hates the Outdoors' but the happy parents love every bit of their newborn.

Life goes on, and Blair has some spare time on maternity leave to quiz her friend Nina for her latest police report. And then it is already time for Mercury's first birthday. Here he is in his new outfits. Isn't he cute? Though he does appear to have inherited his mother's nose...
Blair gets right to work being a mum, and takes her toddler to the new park in the Bay, Maywood Cafe. There she introduces her son to the wonder of toddler rides, and he has a ball on the little space rocket.

Christopher begins teaching Mercury how to walk, and seems to think that garage is the best place to do it. Mecury enjoys his flashy new toy box. Chris finds a soulpeace gem, an opal, gold, copper, and an oven in one of his holes.

Blair returns to work after a long maternity leave, and gets promoted on her first day back. She has chosen the forensic analyst path in the Law Enforcement career, and is promoted to a Wire Tap Reader. Her partner is none other than Scout Sargeant.

And finally it is time for both Chris and Blair to age up to adults. Unlike others in the Bay, both of them are quite ready to be older, and neither suffer a midlife crisis. Below are their new looks. Blair went for something a bit more her age, but with her own sense of style, and has finally rid herself of those glasses, while Chris is his usual stylish handsome self.

And I'll leave you with some shots of the new house. Blair used the $9000 she got from acting in a commercial, and some money she got for a free laptop and couch, and for the oven Chris found, to buy an expensive hot tub and set it up behind the garage. Also shown is their big (the biggest) tv.

...Next will be the Angelista/Hosni family.

Natsuko

« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
Welcome little nooboo Mercury! Wow, Blair and Christopher both look good, I especially love Chris'  athletic outfit :D!

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2011, 03:41:44 AM »
I so love your screenies, Pally - full of emotion! :D

Hehe, Chris is one lucky fellow - all the stuff he dug up. Happy birthday everyone, awesome makeovers! Lol, I also loved the poltergeist's hairstyle. ;D In fact, I truly loved the update - it was awesome!
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2011, 06:17:25 AM »
Thanks Natsuko and Chronic. I try hard with my screenies. I love doing makeovers, so this kind of game is right up my alley. And if you're wondering, Chris's athletic outfit came with Fast Lane.

Now to family #3! We last saw Tiara Angelista and her new hubby Helmi Hosni at the birth of their son Ramses. (I changed the spelling to Rameses, which I like better). As little Rameses enjoys his first few days of life, Helmi finds a new hobby in tinkering, starting with the computer, which he ends up accidentally giving an improved graphics upgrade. Tiara takes her son out for a stroll - why she went in her underwear remains a mystery. Helmi shows off his prowess with snake charming with his new python. And Helmi's tinkering with the tv starts a scary fire. Good thing he manages to squash it just in time.

Meanwhile Tiara is working on her social life with the ever common party at her pool backyard. Helmi is enjoying the simple career of clothes folder at the local spa. And before they know it, it's time for Rameses to age up. Tiara tries to celebrate it with yet another awesome party, but only her mother Lala seems interested.

Little Rameses is quite the looker, and has his mum's freckles, though the origins of his hair colour is unknown. Tiara and Helmi blunder through teaching him all he needs to know, perhaps a little too enthusiastically. Helmi tries so hard to read Ram a story that he fails to notice that Ram is trying to sleep. Tiara does better with teaching Ram to walk.

Tiara does some work as a celebrity: presenting a cheque to the school, and promoting the local bistro, who have assured her that they'll improve their food. She is even sent a brand new BBQ.
Helmi is promoted to Fitting Room Guard, and upgrades one of their toilets to self cleaning. He also repaired a stereo for his first client.

Below is shots of the new work done on their home. The master bedroom was upgraded. The kitchen was sectioned off and renovated, and a study and laundry were added. Also Ram got new décor for his bedroom.

Helmi and Tiara manage to teach Ram all he needs to know just in time for his next birthday. Rameses gains the trait Computer Whiz, and gets his first celebrity star.

The family celebrates with yet another party, this time including their brand new slip and slide. Ram also has his room redone yet again.

Next will be the Grisbys...

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2011, 06:35:30 AM »
Family #4 - the Grisbys. There's big changes in store for this family.

All is well with the Grisbys. Yvette and Walter are finishing off Evann's toddler lessons. Laurel has finally taken the plunge and flirted with Sam Sekemoto - she scored her first kiss! And then, it's time for Laurel's adult birthday. She has a quite celebration with her parents, turning down her dad's offer of a big party.  She gains the Savvy Sculptor trait, and decides she wants to be a Descendant of Da Vinci. And then, after she'd had her makeover, she packed up her belongings, and hit the road, moving on to the next stage of her life. Yvette and Walter were sad to see her go, but resigned. Where will Laurel end up? What lies in story for her?

Life went on at the Grisby home. Evann learnt how to use the potty, and enjoyed a stroll with dad, just before her child birthday. She gets the Frugal trait, which she was working on even as a toddler. She's got a room full of her favourite stuff, and a nice makeover.

Evann loves being a child. Playing hopscotch with her mum, baking muffins on her little oven, riding her new bike, making friends like Rebecca McGraw. On the downside, Evann fails at selling her muffins at Maywood Cafe, but leaving a trap for the sales assistant makes her feel better.

Walter is working hard at his career, with his eyes on bigger prizes that Mayor. He gives a speech at town hall, and throws a successful campaign fundraiser. Yvette is named the garlic eating champion at work, and learns how to make Cobbler and Cheesesteak.
Walter is extremely pleased when he is promoted to Governor! What an honour, he muses, as he plays his guitar. Yvette works at her cooking skill, while Walter finds time to help Evann with her school work.

Evann signs up for ballet after school, and enjoys an excursion to the Bistro. She brings back a bento box, and tells her parents that she made her first batch of fries.

Walter and Yvette take Evann to a party at the Crumplebottom house. Evann couldn't find the girls, but her parents were inspired to add a small hot tub to their basement, where Laurel used to do her sculpting.

Walter holds another campaign fundraiser, and Evann takes one more crack at selling cakes, having reached level 3 cooking skill. But she was ignored once again. Everyone at the party had their eyes on Walter as he celebrated his birthday. He's an elder now, but still with a tiny bit of ginger in his hair.

Yvette also aged up that night.

What will Evann do with aging parents?

...Next is the Coddle-Darer household. How is Molly coping without Juan?

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2011, 06:51:56 AM »
Happy birthday to Rameses, Evann, Laurel, Yyvete and Walter! We'll miss you Laurel!
Tiara shouldn't be out in her nighties. She should know that!
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2011, 07:41:02 AM »
Happy birthday to Rameses, Evann, Laurel, Yyvete and Walter! We'll miss you Laurel!
Tiara shouldn't be out in her nighties. She should know that!

Don't worry, Laurel will be back at the end of this round. And I didn't make Tiara go out in her undies - she did that all on her own. :P

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2011, 07:45:14 AM »
Don't worry, Laurel will be back at the end of this round. And I didn't make Tiara go out in her undies - she did that all on her own. :P
I have a feling she will return... My sim did what Tiara did. They usually change but when they go for strolls they don't.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2011, 08:53:17 AM »
What a cute set of updates! I think Chris is the hottest I've ever seen him  ;). The next generation is pretty sweet too; Mercury's adorable, Rameses is a cutie and it looks like Evann might be the prettiest Grisby yet! Speaking of the Grisbys, is Laurel going to be included in the rounds now? Oh, and I just love seeing my creations in your story.  :D

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Baby #3 born May 2017
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
Yay updates! I'm not sure what specific things to point out so ... yay updates!

I love Evann's outfits, good luck to Laurel moving out on her own, happy birthday to everyone who had one, I love toddlers on the Spring Ride toy!
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2011, 04:42:40 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your comments, and everyone who's patterns and houses I've used the Bay. Yes, Laurel will return at the end of this round.

Now to family #5!

The last time we saw the Darer-Coddle family, Juan had just passed on. Molly is now left as a single mum to two young children. She quickly finds herself overworked. Fortunately, Juan left a small inheritance, that Molly used to hire a maid and a babysitter. She also took a week off work. Even then, Molly only had time for quick naps as she struggled to teach her son and daughter all they needed to know.
Baby Ming soon aged up to a toddler - see her outfits below.

Now there's two toddlers in the house. Both of them love playing with the toys their father left them. Sometimes they even spot him in the garden late at night watching over them. Molly teaches Jay to walk, talk, and use the potty just in time for his birthday. The babysitter, Sophie Tang, joins in the celebration

It turns out that Jay takes after his dad - Juan can be seen in his face quite easily.

Jay gains the rebellious trait despite his mother's effort to give him all the care he needs. He is just able to remember his father, and doesn't understand why he's not around anymore. This leads to some acting out on his part. Not towards his mother, he loves her too much, but anyone else is fair game. Well, except for his little sister Ming. He'd never admit it, but he's close to the little toddler.

With Jay old enough for school, Molly finally gets a moment to herself. She also visits her husband's grave for the first time since the funeral, and finds herself still quite emotional.
Molly's birthday gift to Jay is a treehouse. He names it 'The Terrible Haunted House', and takes to holing himself away in it whenever he needs his space - an outcome Molly didn't foresee. He even sleeps there some nights, when Ming's crying keeps him up.

Meanwhile, it's time for Molly to age up to an adult. She gets herself a new hair do, and new clothes, though still in her homeland's style.

She also develops a mid-life crisis. She tries to tell herself that she has no time for worrying over her life, but still she is anxious about all her new wrinkles, and her life so far. She wants to get back to her job, but must wait until Ming is old enough to join her brother at school.

Jay doesn't mind school. He's meeting new friends, like Rameses Hosni, and enjoys an excursion to the Police Station - he hangs his medal souvenir on his wall. Molly teaches Ming how to talk - looks like she's already a clean-minded sim like her mum - and helps her take her first steps. Jay finds the easel in their rarely-used study and discovers a love of painting. He also boobytraps the toilet for the maid.

On Sunday Jay invites Rameses Hosni over to play. They bounce on the trampoline, and fight pirates in the tree house. Jay lures the maid outside so he can dump water on her. And that night little Ming ages up.

She chooses a very neat hairstyle, and cute clothes in purple and pink.

The two children deck their room out in their favourite colours with their favourite toys and decorations. The clash in tastes shows. Jay can't wait to get his own room someday, though that has yet to enter Molly's plans.

Molly finally returns to work, and gets a promotion to Trauma Surgeon. She also finds time to fulfill a mid-life crisis wish by getting a makeover at the Salon - new earrings. Another wish is fulfilled when she gains a cooking skill level. And to fulfill her last wish, Molly takes another short trip to Shang Simla. She does some shopping mostly, and learns to sing 'Ping and his checkers' and 'the Love of Xing Lo'. She wants to teach her children about their heritage.

EDIT: I forgot to add that Juan's lobster Dingbat followed him into the after life.

...next will be the Sargeants.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2011, 04:55:41 AM »
I hope things go well for Molly. :)
Great update!
Formerly Simstar3

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2011, 05:28:07 AM »
I hope things go well for Molly. :)
Great update!

Yes she needs a new love in her life, doesn't she? I'm stumped as to who that could be though.

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Baby #3 born May 2017
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »
I love the Darer-Coddle children! Although, poor Jay and his Twinbrook-spawn face. Hopefully he grows into it more with his next birthday. Ming is just cute!
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
hehehe I actually like his face - it's interesting, that's why I chose juan darer in the first place. :)

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2011, 06:37:20 AM »
Family #6! The Sargeants:
wife: Scout Sargeant (Adult)
husband: Bobby Sargeant (Adult)
son: Bold Sargeant (toddler)
daughter: Gentle Sargeant (baby)

Baby Gentle has grown up into a gorgeous toddler, with very ordinary clothes:

Bobby and Scout teach their children all that they need to know, including some secrets and skills that are you unique to their not-so-ordinary family. Both Bold and Gentle reach the highest levels they can at the peg box, which will give them to logic level 3 as children.

And speaking of children, its not long before Bold ages up to a child. He gains the star quality trait, to the horror of his parents, who prefer to keep a low profile. They make sure that all his clothes look completely ordinary, to Bold's displeasure. He insists on wearing a cap with every outfit.

Bold begs and nags until his parents agree to refurbishing their old attic. Bold sets up his laboratory kit there, and dreams of when he'll be old enough to have his own room up there without his annoyingly-perfect little sister. Though he can't really use the potions he's discovering, he saves them for his teenage years, imagining all the trouble he'll cause. And his parents are pleased with his new hobby, since it raises the ever-important logic skill. When Bold asks his father for a bed time story, Bobby insists on reading the Martial Arts handbook he got at the consignment shop. Needless to say, Bold got to sleep very quickly.  He signs up for scouting, and earns a fishing skill. He doesn't take up the errand opportunities that he's offered at school - his parents insist he come home to study logic.

Now this may be a surprise, but Bobby and Sargeant waited a long time to have kids, and it's now time for Scout to age up to an elder. She chooses the same everyday outfit that she had as an adult (not shown - sorry), but has to get new clothes for her spywear, and other outfits. Aside from her spy clothes, everything is ordinary as usual.

And the next day it's time for Gentle to grow into a child. She gains the Workaholic trait, to her parents' pleasure. She immediately puts on ordinary, but very practical clothes, and signs herself up for Ballet. This is a girl after her mother's heart. She is very supportive of her parents' secret agent jobs, and wants to be just like them. She wants to be the most athletic she can get, with logic and martial arts too, so she spends her free time studying and working out.

Bold and Gentle convince their parents to let them put some kids wallpaper in their room, and get them bean bags and a tv. Bobby and Scout agree, but only give them shooting games to play (for practice, they say). Meanwhile Bobby and Scout keep the house clean - they don't want to hire a maid  in case of being found out - and try to work hard at their (cover) jobs. They don't take many agent assignments while their children are so young, but keep in peak physical condition. and keep in touch with their contacts in the neighbourhood. Bobby earns a promotion to fighter pilot, a skill he can use as an agent, and earns his first martial arts belt - Bobby and Scout are good at defending themselves, but haven't take up formal teaching before now. Bold, being himself, enters an eating contest at the bistro and wins, but his parents scold him for drawing attention to himself. It looks like this child might be more than Bobby and Scout can handle.

And it is also time for Bobby to age up. He puts on his new spy clothes and looks at himself in the mirror. A part of his brain tells him he looks absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps it's time to retire?

...sorry if that was a little boring.But the children are quite good looking, no? The next family is the Bernards.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »
Happy Birthday to all the Sargants! (Not sure if I spelt it right!)

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Baby #3 born May 2017
« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2011, 12:41:29 PM »
The Sargent children are super cute! Young Bold will be a handful but what else do Bobby and Scout expect? They named their kid Bold!

Pally, I'm wondering if you could tell us the name of the family at the beginning of your updates, where you tell us which number this family is. I ask this because, as the families grow and change from their original at the beginning of a new game, it gets more difficult to tell who they are just by looking at the pictures. You do a great job of mentioning their names throughout the story, but if the family name was mentioned at the beginning I wouldn't have to look for their names and then scroll back to the top and read the story. Just a suggestion.

The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

anything