Author Topic: '11 Days In Bridgeport', an open movie project FINISHED  (Read 6390 times)

Leto85

Re: '11 Days In Bridgeport', an open movie project FINISHED
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 12:33:25 PM »
Haha, thank you all for the lovely compliments. All the different opinions of how you all are watching these videos defiantly are important to me.

@Gheez: With 'stars cartwheeling', did you mean how the stars are kind of spinning around the city?
Well, as for that, while making this city I have successfully found out what I already was thinking, the whole sky is actually a sphere. When you play the game at speed 6 or beyond (and with external video editing software you can do that with captured videos) you can see the city in a total other spectrum than usual.

I have been studying time lapse movies for years now and this movie made a lot of things clear for me.

So are the sun and the moon both no light sources in The Sims 3. I've made a few scenes in 3D animation and although in real life all the light outside comes from the sun, bouncing off objects, this has not been done in The Sims 3.
The reason for this is that your computer (and mine) can not handle that. It needs to calculate every single pixel how it is pointing on objects.
The same count for cars. If you would watch a time lapse of driving cars with let's say, speeding up 5 times you will notice that the cars at night eventually will vanish, as they are moving simply to fast for the eye to see, but what you will see are white, red and sometimes blue glowing stripes on the street. As you all have seen, this didn't happen in The Sims 3. You see driving cars very fast, and as you could notice with the bridge scene (which took one single simday) they are moving so fast that you almost can't see them.
Sims are moving already to fast so mostly they are invisible also. On the bridge there was a sim jogging, not even walking and I can ensure you that you can't see him.

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 12:53:24 PM »
@Gheez: With 'stars cartwheeling', did you mean how the stars are kind of spinning around the city?

Yes, that's right.  At one camera angle, I watched the stars move down the sky to sink behind the distant skyline (2:31 & 4:06).  At another camera angle, they seemed to turn in an arc (cartwheel) in the sky (see just before 2:07).  It makes it very obvious where the axis is, upon which, the sim world spins.

I've also just watched your 'normal music speed' version as well.  That had a different feel, really liked how fast the sun sank in the sky right at the end.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Leto85

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »
Yes, that's right.  At one camera angle, I watched the stars move down the sky to sink behind the distant skyline (2:31 & 4:06).  At another camera angle, they seemed to turn in an arc (cartwheel) in the sky (see just before 2:07).  It makes it very obvious where the axis is, upon which, the sim world spins.

You have a good eye. As you have indeed figured this out good, the 'axis' is somewhere at the rich part of the town, where the celebrities are living. You normally won't even notice that, because even at speed 3 nothing seems to be noticed that leads to that, and that is how EA did wanted it.
The world is not moving, although I understand you are thinking that. In fact, you can see Bridgeport (and every other town) as being a flat terein in the middle of a spherical object. The inside of that object has a video on it protected with the daylight sky on the top and the night at the bottom. As this spherical object is moving with a random town in it, the sky will 'turn around' into night and vica versa in a endless loop.

In basics consepts, the whole FOX logo thing that I have modefied has been made in the same way: an object (FOX) with a background sphere which makes it look like you are surounded in a 3 dimensional world.

As for the light sources I was taking about before, they must have been placed around different fixed points in the sky. You won't notice them becasue they obviously are made as being ' empty'. Because the sphere sky is moving around, those light sources are moving also.
Because the sun is not a light source (otherwise you would seen it shying through the buildings which will cost you a tremandiously amount of processor power) there is no time at night where it is totally dark.
In real life, at night the moon is reflecting the sun, but ingame this is not possible if the light sources are on differnt points in the sky.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
You learn something new every day! I never really noticed that there is no sun or moon! I always just assumed they were there even though I couldn't see them!

Leto85

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
You learn something new every day! I never really noticed that there is no sun or moon! I always just assumed they were there even though I couldn't see them!

O, but they re there! Unles I must be completely wrong, they are just part of the endless video loop in the inside of the sphere.

In fact, everything happens in a repeatly way n this game. A ship will popup at one time and will vanish after a few simhours. The next day this will repeat itself exactly the same.
And so is with sims. Their behavior is the same in fact, unles something is interfering the whole situation. In time lapses this has confirmed my theories.

The above thing you could try out in game. Load your save file (whatever save file), see what your sim is doing for a minute or two and remember that. Now go back to Main Menu without saving and load up your game again. Your sim will do the exact same thing as he or she has done 'before', UNLESS you are interfaring the situation. This can be compared as in real life time traveling. You can effectively change the past, but you can not go back to the previously deleted alternative universe. If you save or not doesn't matter.

Sorry if I talk to difficult. I tried to explain this as good as I can. Seeing is more practical to see what I've meant.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
That actually does make sense!

Offline Bde1225

• Immortal
  • Entertain me!
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 12:02:20 AM »
I really enjoyed the video. It was beautifully done and showed how artistic you are. Loved it! Great job. :)

Dr. Mingbe DeWooLeHoo<---So I don't forget the name of my fav creation! Lol..I am getting old...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 05:22:15 AM »
Leto, it was awesome. I have no words.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Chopsticks

• Occult
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 06:43:42 PM »
Wow. Just wow.
"Doors are for people with no imagination" - Derek Landy

Offline templesmom

• Townie
  • Happy Simming!
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 08:32:30 PM »
Beautiful video, I really enjoyed it.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 10:33:16 PM »
I had run a news bit, but it really deserved more visibility than a single spot on the news bar for a week. I put it up on the home page (with a link back here) where it'll likely stay until something fresh and new replaces it, or the next expansion requires the space ;)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:12 AM »
Bravo, Leto!  I did recognize the music right away, but then I have a very good ear for music.  Really beautiful.  Makes me almost like Bridgeport.
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline ejnarts1

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 10:53:16 PM »
I suppose I'm late seeing that comments have been ongoing for a month... new member here... very- minutes ago. This would be my first post =)

I watched it twice; first with no sound then with; with is better. It's visually stunning without, but that wore off for me at around minute 4. With the music, it held my attention even though contrast of the quick, speed 6 visual and the slowed music could be considered a bit pedestrian, the camera work and the fact that the speed of the camera movement matched the music- it works.

Very well done. I enjoyed it. Thank you. It really does make you look at Bridgeport in a new light.

Leto85

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 03:52:12 AM »
@ejnarts1: Thank you for your great compliment and welcome to the forum. :) Yes, I have chosen the slowed down music in contrast with the fast forwarded film and slow camera moving. With fast music it would feel like being excite.

Taxingwoman

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 10:26:46 AM »
Congratulations I enjoyed it. The only thing I would want to see is more Sims interacting. The music is cool.

Offline Teacup Chihuahua

• Occult
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2011, 07:12:54 AM »
Excellent,Leto I loved it EA should employ you in marketing ;D have not played Bridgeport much but you have inspired me ;D Thanks ;D

Offline malteser60

• Occult
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
I'm a bit late in posting this, sorry. The video was amazing Leto, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the contrast between the high speed panning of Bridgeport, which goes well with what we know as city life, and the slow music (must admit did not recognise it as the Sims 3 theme music). For me it gave me the image that all the high speed hustle and bustle of a city, from afar, all merges into one beautiful slow dance.

Offline ladydragon76

• Townie
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
AMAZING!  How do you get your camera to move so smoothly?  Also loved the slowed Theme Song.  Great Work.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

bshag

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 01:18:48 PM »
Just saw this Leto...you are a true artist.  Amazing video.  I especially loved the part inside the butterfly pavillion, just beautiful.  :)

Leto85

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »
AMAZING!  How do you get your camera to move so smoothly?  Also loved the slowed Theme Song.  Great Work.

There is a file within the Electronic Arts folder which can get edited (no mods, just by typing) to influence the camera movement. It normally is set standard as speed 1, but I have degreased it to 200 mostly while already being in speed 3 ingame to make everything exactly like I wanted it.
As an example, the shot where the camera was floating down the Vampire Statebuilding (I forgot the real name) was actually 6 minutes long while recording in Sims live mode speed 3. It took 2 simdays totally.

Offline simmum

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
Wow that is really fantastic! I don't have Late Night yet but this video has really made me want to get it asap!

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2011, 02:10:57 AM »
It really is amazing! Personally, the slowed tune makes it feel like Bridgeport is actually a habitable place in some areas. Also, how did you slow the music down?

anything