Author Topic: '11 Days In Bridgeport', an open movie project FINISHED  (Read 11704 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: '11 Days In Bridgeport', an open movie project FINISHED
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 09:02:40 PM »
I feel stupid for not "getting" it.

The biggest problem with films like that is when you make one with the "art" of it as your first priority, it's not going to be any good.  You can't forget what the real purpose of a film or video is:  to entertain.  People are going to take what they want out of it, anyways, so really there isn't much of a reason to try and instill a point for people to get.  This is the whole reason indie films will never become popular, except with their cult following.

So, personally, I didn't waste a lot of time trying to "get" it.  I enjoyed it for what I saw it to be:  a finely crafted film with some rather delightful visuals of a nice looking city in the game I love.  The soundtrack fit perfectly, and you're right about the ambiance of it...and I was incredibly surprised to discover that it was the Sims theme music.  I didn't even recognize it.

I have to go back and watch it again, now.  :P

Edit:  I had trouble recognizing until the very end lol.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Leto85

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 03:11:27 AM »
The biggest problem with films like that is when you make one with the "art" of it as your first priority, it's not going to be any good.  You can't forget what the real purpose of a film or video is:  to entertain.  People are going to take what they want out of it, anyways, so really there isn't much of a reason to try and instill a point for people to get.  This is the whole reason indie films will never become popular, except with their cult following.

One more reason for me more to watch some Indian movies. Can you pm me some links to good ones? I hope I can get them in my country, but at least I could try.

@ Carl, I will be very proud if you would link it. I'm looking forward to see how you would do that.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Micler

• Occult
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 03:44:23 PM »
You did a fantastic job, Leto! The city really has a lot of character when you see it like this. I didn't recognize the music until near the middle of the video. It has a great, urban feel to it when it's slowed down.

P.S- Indie means independent, not Indian. :)

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »
Wow I loved it Leto! I am so impressed with your movie making skills :)
Another video well done!

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 04:17:46 PM »

Leto, I really enjoyed watching this video.  I love playing in Bridgeport but after watching your video I am seeing the town in a whole new light.  Now I can enjoy it even more. 
I didn't recognize the music either but enjoyed this slower version more than I did the original. 
I can't wait to see more of your movie making talents ;D.
Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
I enjoyed watching.  It was a great match of image to music (and no, I wouldn't have known what the music was either).

Liked how you captured the stars cartwheeling through the sky.  The play of the dirty city atmosphere, slightly smoggy with the cloud cover that could do with a good old wash but most especially loved how you captured the sheer beauty of the bridge and it's gorgeous colours.

Not sure about the bar scene - did I miss something there?  I thought the old women seemed like clones but it could be that they had similar hairstyles.  That bit left me wanting more, maybe more images of sims, speeded up in different locations, though that probably would have detracted from the city.

You did a good job. Your editing skills are impressive.  I'd quite like to see how you tour the other places too - especially Barnacle Bay as I don't have that location.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
Not sure about the bar scene - did I miss something there?  I thought the old women seemed like clones but it could be that they had similar hairstyles. 

That would be Hyacinth and Violet Atkins.  They are townies who live in Bridgeport.  They are at least sisters, maybe twins.  They look and dress alike except for the slight difference in color.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 11:49:36 PM »
Thanks Pam.  My eyes weren't deceiving me (though now I'm tempted to go back and watch again but pause on those parts to get a good look at the sisters.)  I can see that I need to play Bridgeport a bit more to properly meet the locals.  I've been there (love that bridge) but had a few problems with stuttering in game (or pausing or whatever it is called) so haven't really explored much.  Leto's movie was so smooth, no stuttering.  It makes Bridgeport look very enticing.  I'm tempted to go back.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 11:51:22 PM »
I'm playing in Bridgeport right now for the Master Mixologist LTW.  It's very different from Sunset Valley, but it's fun.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

SimmerAtHeart96

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 12:10:34 AM »
Oh wow, Leto, that was one of my favourite Sims videos ever! To quote everyone else, it really did bring the city of Bridgeport
to life. An amazing look at a Sims town, and your video-ing and editing skills are excellent, unsurpassed!  :D :D

Keep it coming. You have officially convinced me to watch ALL of your Sims videos!  ;)

-Elice-

Leto85

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 12:33:25 PM »
Haha, thank you all for the lovely compliments. All the different opinions of how you all are watching these videos defiantly are important to me.

@Gheez: With 'stars cartwheeling', did you mean how the stars are kind of spinning around the city?
Well, as for that, while making this city I have successfully found out what I already was thinking, the whole sky is actually a sphere. When you play the game at speed 6 or beyond (and with external video editing software you can do that with captured videos) you can see the city in a total other spectrum than usual.

I have been studying time lapse movies for years now and this movie made a lot of things clear for me.

So are the sun and the moon both no light sources in The Sims 3. I've made a few scenes in 3D animation and although in real life all the light outside comes from the sun, bouncing off objects, this has not been done in The Sims 3.
The reason for this is that your computer (and mine) can not handle that. It needs to calculate every single pixel how it is pointing on objects.
The same count for cars. If you would watch a time lapse of driving cars with let's say, speeding up 5 times you will notice that the cars at night eventually will vanish, as they are moving simply to fast for the eye to see, but what you will see are white, red and sometimes blue glowing stripes on the street. As you all have seen, this didn't happen in The Sims 3. You see driving cars very fast, and as you could notice with the bridge scene (which took one single simday) they are moving so fast that you almost can't see them.
Sims are moving already to fast so mostly they are invisible also. On the bridge there was a sim jogging, not even walking and I can ensure you that you can't see him.

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 12:53:24 PM »
@Gheez: With 'stars cartwheeling', did you mean how the stars are kind of spinning around the city?

Yes, that's right.  At one camera angle, I watched the stars move down the sky to sink behind the distant skyline (2:31 & 4:06).  At another camera angle, they seemed to turn in an arc (cartwheel) in the sky (see just before 2:07).  It makes it very obvious where the axis is, upon which, the sim world spins.

I've also just watched your 'normal music speed' version as well.  That had a different feel, really liked how fast the sun sank in the sky right at the end.

Leto85

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »
Yes, that's right.  At one camera angle, I watched the stars move down the sky to sink behind the distant skyline (2:31 & 4:06).  At another camera angle, they seemed to turn in an arc (cartwheel) in the sky (see just before 2:07).  It makes it very obvious where the axis is, upon which, the sim world spins.

You have a good eye. As you have indeed figured this out good, the 'axis' is somewhere at the rich part of the town, where the celebrities are living. You normally won't even notice that, because even at speed 3 nothing seems to be noticed that leads to that, and that is how EA did wanted it.
The world is not moving, although I understand you are thinking that. In fact, you can see Bridgeport (and every other town) as being a flat terein in the middle of a spherical object. The inside of that object has a video on it protected with the daylight sky on the top and the night at the bottom. As this spherical object is moving with a random town in it, the sky will 'turn around' into night and vica versa in a endless loop.

In basics consepts, the whole FOX logo thing that I have modefied has been made in the same way: an object (FOX) with a background sphere which makes it look like you are surounded in a 3 dimensional world.

As for the light sources I was taking about before, they must have been placed around different fixed points in the sky. You won't notice them becasue they obviously are made as being ' empty'. Because the sphere sky is moving around, those light sources are moving also.
Because the sun is not a light source (otherwise you would seen it shying through the buildings which will cost you a tremandiously amount of processor power) there is no time at night where it is totally dark.
In real life, at night the moon is reflecting the sun, but ingame this is not possible if the light sources are on differnt points in the sky.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
You learn something new every day! I never really noticed that there is no sun or moon! I always just assumed they were there even though I couldn't see them!

Leto85

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
You learn something new every day! I never really noticed that there is no sun or moon! I always just assumed they were there even though I couldn't see them!

O, but they re there! Unles I must be completely wrong, they are just part of the endless video loop in the inside of the sphere.

In fact, everything happens in a repeatly way n this game. A ship will popup at one time and will vanish after a few simhours. The next day this will repeat itself exactly the same.
And so is with sims. Their behavior is the same in fact, unles something is interfering the whole situation. In time lapses this has confirmed my theories.

The above thing you could try out in game. Load your save file (whatever save file), see what your sim is doing for a minute or two and remember that. Now go back to Main Menu without saving and load up your game again. Your sim will do the exact same thing as he or she has done 'before', UNLESS you are interfaring the situation. This can be compared as in real life time traveling. You can effectively change the past, but you can not go back to the previously deleted alternative universe. If you save or not doesn't matter.

Sorry if I talk to difficult. I tried to explain this as good as I can. Seeing is more practical to see what I've meant.