Author Topic: Interview with a Night Walker  (Read 10784 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Interview with a Night Walker
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:48:35 PM »
*This isn't so much a dynasty or legacy as it is a story.  After getting nightlife, I found that I really liked Bridgeport and many of it's inhabitants.  While I've never been a fan of vampires (zombies is more my thing lol), I found the whole concept in the Sims 3 somewhat interesting.  As I was bored one evening, I put my meager writing skills to work creating a story revolving around one of my Bridgeport sims.  The story will continue and evolve as I play.

To anyone with any literary experience/talent:  I am not a professional, but I always welcome constructive criticism on style and form.  If you see any way this might be improved, let me know.

To anyone else:  Feel free to tell me what you think, anyways.  :P

The sim:  Victoria Beltane, vampire.  Traits:  Genius, Charismatic, Star Quality, Bookworm, Great Kisser.

----------

Hello, day walker.  

No, you need not fear this creature of darkness…for there are many who are darker than I.  Besides, you are not my prey tonight, and I have already eaten, anyways.  Gluttony is the indulgence of a fool.  So ease your fragile heart, as I mean you no harm.

You wish for me to take you with me?  Ha!  You know not what you ask.  The immortality of my kind appeals only to the ignorant.  While I cannot say my life has been miserable, the existence of the night walkers is not an easy one.  I will tell you, if you have the ears to listen.

Good…

There are some who were born to this life, but I was not one of them.  A very long time ago, I was no different from you.  A young, naïve soul, fresh out of medical school, my head full of lofty dreams of helping people and rich fantasies of husband and child.  My entire life was ahead of me, and I something told me that life would be found in Bridgeport.  But things did not go quite as I had imagined.

I moved into a small loft apartment near the downtown area.  It was a quiet building, and the furnishings were modest, but it suited my tastes at the time, I suppose.  It was quiet, which would allow me to continue my studies as I worked.  My small existence saw it as “perfect.”

And then…all that changed.

I decided to apply at the hospital…after all:  I was an aspiring doctor.  To my surprise, the administration did not even require a moment to reflect on my qualifications.  It was as though I got the job for no other reason than because I had walked in the door.  But I quickly sloughed off all concerns, as it seemed that my instincts were correct in bringing me to this city.  After all, my qualifications were impeccable.   Such pathetic arrogance.

I soon came to realize that my “instincts” had brought me nowhere…I was called here.

By her.  But I get ahead of myself…

During my second day at the hospital, I met an odd, young woman named Elvira.  It was a chance meeting in the hallway, and we barely shared a glance with one another, but as the week went on, my contact with her intensified.  She had taken an immediate liking to me, and as she was highly established in her career (far more than one would expect from a woman of her apparent age), I was eager to make myself of use to her.  Although she gave me an uncomfortable feeling whenever she was around, Elvira was likable enough.  And the feeling passed once I got to know her.

There was an incredible rumor going around the hospital about my new friend:  it was said that despite her youthful appearance, she actually was hundreds of years old.  I laughed this off as little more than professional jealousy.  I was a woman of science, after all, and such things were impossible.

But hidden inside every rumor is a kernel of truth.

It all began a couple of weeks later with an innocuous invitation.  After we had finished our rounds, she stared at me for a moment as if she were trying to discern what was going through my mind.  By this point, nothing she did struck me as strange anymore.  Through our working relationship we had become rather close, and I held her among my best friends.  And then she spoke to me:

“I’m having a party tonight,” she informed me.  “You should attend…formal attire, if you would be so kind.”

The hospital kept me busy, and I had virtually no friends outside of work, so I jumped at the opportunity to spend time in a social situation with my close friend and mentor.  And indeed, the gesture seemed benign enough.

But while I was ready for the party, I was ill prepared for the guest list.

There were numerous other people in attendance who gave me the same uncomfortable feeling as Elvira did when I first met her.  She was talking to them when I arrived, and I couldn’t help but feel like they were talking about me.  But once she noticed me, she introduced me to  Vladimir Schlick, Beau Merrick and Wogan and Morgana Hemlock.

“Finally, you‘re here,” Morgana told me.  “Elvira speaks highly of you.”

“I’m flattered,” I stammered, nervously.

Vladimir smiles and says to Elvira:  “We’re satisfied.”

Then the party-goers left the building, each saying goodbye to me as they departed, which left me alone with Elvira.

“I don’t understand,” I told her.  “What about your party?”

“It was a success,” she said bluntly.  “They like you well enough.”

“Well enough for what,” I asked, unsure I wanted to hear the answer.

“I’m sure you’ve heard the rumors about me,” she said, as she held a finger to my lips as I began to protest.

“You came here to help people,” she continued, “and while I have little interest in helping anyone, I won’t begrudge you of it.  But my kind dwindles, and we’ve watched you for some time:  we think you would be a worthy addition to our circle of friends.  We know that you would not use the ‘gift‘ we would give you for petty conquest or power-mongering.  Such things shed an uncomfortable light on us.”

Your kind,” I repeated for clarification.

“You wish to help people,” she repeated, ignoring my query. “But your own existence limits you.  Soon, you will wither and the abilities that took you years to acquire will be stolen from you in an instant by the cruel joke that is life.  And once life has taken everything it can from you, you’ll die broken and alone, and all your hopes and dreams will crumble and come to naught.”

I stood there, stunned with my head hanging at my friend‘s cruel words, unsure whether to be offended or crestfallen.  But she tenderly put her hand beneath my chin and lifted my head to look into her red, glowing eyes.

“But we offer you the chances that your very existence would deny you.  Where it would give you weakness, we offer you strength.  Where it would give you atrophy, we offer you a vigour you’ve never dared to dream of.  Where it would give you oblivion, we offer you a wondrous, new life.  We offer you the power to make all of your dreams come true.

“If only you would come with us…”

I didn’t even have to answer her…we were well past the point where mere words are a worthless gesture.  She already knew what my answer was.  She had known long, long before she was in a position to ask the question.  And the very moment that I realized that was the last instant in my very long life that I felt fear.

And I had often wondered:  had I known the true nature of our relationship, would I have gone to her party?  Yes, I probably would have.

To be continued.....
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Interview with a Night Walker
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:29:36 PM »
That was exceedingly well done, Hosfac.  Well done, indeed.  Your spelling and grammar is nearly perfect, and you also have the ability to enthrall the reader.  My only criticism is that you didn't always maintain the tense throughout the story.  Mostly you wrote in past tense, but then I saw at least one spot where you switched to present tense. 

I hope you'll continue this story.  I enjoyed reading it very much.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:42:33 PM »
My only criticism is that you didn't always maintain the tense throughout the story.  Mostly you wrote in past tense, but then I saw at least one spot where you switched to present tense. 

A bad literary habit, and this is something I've heard before.  I fixed what I could find.

And I'm glad you liked it.   :)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:04:14 AM »
All I can say is wow.  That was really good and I cannot wait to continue to read your story.  Well done. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:19:51 AM »
A bad literary habit, and this is something I've heard before.  I fixed what I could find.

I do the same thing sometimes.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:04:20 AM »
Awesome story Hosfac! I love vampires so this is right up my alley!!  ;D

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
On a slightly related side note:  the Medical career is incredibly annoying.  Veronica can sit at home doing nothing for a week at a time, but the moment I decide to have her go out and do something or have someone over, there's an emergency at the hospital.   >:(

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:17:10 AM »
Part II

The transition to immortality was somewhat difficult for me, but becoming an entirely new creature never is easy.  Evolution is wrought with pain and suffering.  It is the way of things:  it steels the will for the life that comes after.  

No, no…the bite itself didn’t hurt.  Not as such.  In fact, it was almost pleasurable to start with, but near the end there was a brief moment of indescribable terror.  I vividly remember it, even now:  it was powerful and overwhelming, as I felt as though I was losing a very important part of myself.  Something that was more precious and dearer to me than I had previously realized.  I do not recall feeling so awake…so alive.  Not before, and definitely not since.  I have long yearned to experience something in my new life that equals the exhilaration that I remember from that particular emotion.

As that terror took hold of me, I tore myself away from her and ran.  I fled like a coward, stumbling out of the elevator and out into the cold night air of the desolate streets.  I rode the subway home, and for once my mind was empty and thoughtless.  I was exhausted from the night’s “festivities.”  If I had any desire at all at that point, it was little more than to make it home to the safety of my bed.

But there was little solace to be found in my slumber, as I was plagued by troubling dreams.  

Elvira had planned it all meticulously:  the party was Friday night, and I didn’t work during the weekends.  This gave me two days to recover from my ordeal, and admittedly I was in no state to work.  Besides, Elvira would undoubtedly be there on Monday, and I would have to be prepared to face her again.  So I spent the weekend out on the town, drinking and dancing, trying hard to drown the memories that haunted me with revelry and self-indulgence.  But despite my preoccupations, there were constant reminders.

The area where I was bitten itched incessantly.  It was easy enough to resist scratching, but it was maddening as it persisted throughout the day and well into Saturday night.  But I awoke Sunday morning to an odd fever of intensive heat.  It was as though my heart had erupted into a volcano, causing the lava to spill unchecked into my veins.  To say it was uncomfortable would be an understatement.

I briefly toyed with the idea of going to the hospital, but I quickly set that notion aside.  After all, what would I tell my colleagues?  That my co-worker, friend and mentor had bitten me and drank my blood?  I would have been a laughing stock.  Instead, I chose to continue with my plans for the evening in hopes that it would simply pass.  And pass it did.

As I returned home in the early hours of Monday morning, I was suddenly struck by a moment of exquisite and delicious pain.  It surpassed the definition of agony and transcended into a sensation that no mortal has ever experienced and survived long enough to create a word for.  It was as though my very soul had been violently and forcibly pierced with a great icicle, and that icicle then exploded into countless shards, flaying what remained of my mangled spirit into unrecognizable tatters.

Nothing new can be created unless something else is first destroyed.  To create a beautiful wooden table, a single tree must meet it’s end.  To create a glorious golden ring, a simple stone must be undone before the metal within is of any value.  In that moment, the creature that I used to be was razed to the ground, and a new, majestic and powerful being was built upon the ashes of an old, insignificant life.

I stood there for some time, as the entire world remade itself before my eyes.  It was as though I had awakened from a deep sleep, and my entire life up until that point had been a stifling dream.  As I drank deeply of my new awareness, I came to realize that the senses of sight, smell, taste, touch and hearing were wasted on the likes of the thing I was, just a moment ago.  All at once, the shackles of my mortal limitations were laid to ruin at my feet.

This does not mean that I was without constraints:  the removal of old impediments came at the price of new ones.  But I found my new limitations to be much more manageable.

During the day, I was a creature of extraordinary grace and power…and indeed I still am, even now.  But while sunlight does bring with it a disadvantage, it is not as noxious to us as common lore would lead you to believe.  Television and movies tend to embellish the truth for dramatic effect.  For us, sunlight is akin to what blunt force head trauma is to you:  it’s easily survivable in small quantities, but it’s only a matter of time before continued exposure to begins to take a ruthless toll.  It is best to avoid it, although depending on one’s profession, this is not always practical for either of us.

But as the sun sets, my dynamism truly unfolds.  I possess a strength and sharpness of mind that are unparalleled and equal to none, and I wield abilities that my scientific mind still struggles to comprehend.  I immediately saw how intoxicating my endowment was.  It could be easy to become lost in it…to consider oneself a god.  I then understood the others and their prudence in researching me.  I vowed then and there that I would not allow this decision to become erroneous.  And I have held true to my oath to this very day.

There is but a single thing I miss from my former life.  Your food does not agree with us, and I had quite an affinity for grape cobbler.  Regardless, I have often indulged myself in this mortal delicacy, although I always suffer for it later.  It is a small price to pay for that moment of nostalgia, really.

All in all, Elvira’s gift was indeed as wondrous as she led me to believe.  But this is one gift that comes at a terrible cost…

To be continued...

Leto85

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 04:29:14 AM »
I haven't read your story yet, just because I didn't find the time. But the reason I commend here is to say that you at least have choosen the right title for this. 'Interview with a daywalker'. Very well done. :D It's catching, even for someone like me who was looking for another topic on this forum at the moment.
I asume I don't have to ask you anymore if you liked both movies Blade and Interview with the Vampire? You're creative. I will read you story probably later on.

Succes!

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:46:59 PM »
I love when they turn! It is awesome all that red and the bats! Awesome update!

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 05:31:19 PM »
I asume I don't have to ask you anymore if you liked both movies Blade and Interview with the Vampire? You're creative. I will read you story probably later on.

I'm not a fan at all of vampire literature and movies, to be totally honest.  As I said, I'm more into the "struggle for survival" theme that permeates zombie movies, and the artful way George Romero incorporates current social realities into his films.

But as far as action movies go, Blade was up there with "The Matrix" series:  not the best, but they're definitely worth watching more than once.

Interview with a Vampire was really only an intriguing story to me for no other reason than because of Anne Rice's dark writing style.  The movie was pretty good (as she co-wrote the screenplay), even though it deviated near the end from the book, but I am in full agreement with her that Tom Cruise was an incredibly poor choice to play Lestat.  However, despite his general lack of talent, I think he did well...but somebody else could have done better.  Everyone else in the movie was superb.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »
So, I'm assuming your readers are supposedly doing the interviewing? That kind of threw me a little. In the movie you've got Christian Slater interviewing Brad Pitt. But, with your story title I was kind of like — who's doing the interviewing?

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
but I am in full agreement with her that Tom Cruise was an incredibly poor choice to play Lestat.  However, despite his general lack of talent, I think he did well...but somebody else could have done better.  Everyone else in the movie was superb.
:o What? I love that movie and I love Tom Cruise and I thought he was an amazing actor! So as not to get off-topic I have to say, I love the story so far and vampires are awesome!

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »
So, I'm assuming your readers are supposedly doing the interviewing? That kind of threw me a little. In the movie you've got Christian Slater interviewing Brad Pitt. But, with your story title I was kind of like — who's doing the interviewing?

Yes, that was what I was attempting to convey.  But I guess Victoria is confiding more than she is being interviewed.

:o What? I love that movie and I love Tom Cruise and I thought he was an amazing actor! So as not to get off-topic I have to say, I love the story so far and vampires are awesome!

River Phoenix was Ms. Rice's pick to play Lestat, but the studio overrode her decision, much to her dismay...so River was cast as Daniel Molloy (the interviewer) instead.  But I suppose it was just as well that they picked Mr. Cruise, as River Phoenix passed away shortly before filming started.

I will say that Interview was some of his best work.  But is it great work?  Not really in my opinion.

Sorry about semi-derailing my own thread :P

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 09:15:18 PM »
I will say that Interview was some of his best work.  But is it great work?  Not really in my opinion.
Sorry about semi-derailing my own thread :P
Wow. Oh well, everyone has their own opinions! I know what you mean though it's so hard to stay on-topic sometimes! But, dragging myself back to the original topic, this is really an awesome story!

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 11:47:23 PM »
True about River Phoenix, but I believe Ms. Rice came to the opinion that Tom Cruise was a good Lestat after she saw the performance.  I have nothing against Tom Cruise and think he's a fine actor, but I don't know if anyone would be able to play Lestat convincingly. 

My turn to apologize for dragging us off topic, but I just couldn't resist.  I'm a big Anne Rice fan.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Leto85

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 03:15:05 AM »

I think it's just a opinion thing. Personally I agree with you as I could really enjoy the way Tom Cruise has worked out the dark bloody humor of Lestat.

I'm a bad person. :P Also I am getting off topic here now. Is there some good moderator left here active who can be a good example for us all? :S

Offline Isys

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »
Intriguing story, will be keeping my eye on this one.
Attraversiamo

ADrake

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »
Wow! That about covers it! can't wait for more!!

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 05:16:33 PM »
(Author's Note:  This chapter has been finished for several days, but it took me a while to get it posted because my sims just didn't want to cooperate for the necessary screen shots.  I ended up taking a few shortcuts to get what I needed.  While the story up to this point follows the game play to the letter, from here on out it deviates slightly.)

Part III

The first rule of survival is no different for us than it is for you:  to live, you must eat.

Feeding was a process with which I struggled at first.  Not because of the morality of it…no, I found myself oddly estranged from such concepts, and the distance grew with the passing of the days.  I don’t believe this was a conscious decision on my part.  It was more a part of my new state of being than anything else.  Only one in a long list of things I was to lose.

Actually, I had spent most of my past life with my nose buried in books, and despite my recent rebirth, very little had changed in that particular respect.  In fact, I still have several large bookcases brimming with innumerable volumes of literature, all of which I have read cover to cover at least once.

This left me socially inept, and thus I was at a disadvantage when it came to hunting.  It was not at all uncommon for my quarry to escape my grasp, without me enjoying so much as a taste.  There are alternatives for us, and it is nothing so complex as financing the development of “clone blood” or raiding plasma banks…but still, for most of us, there is nothing quite like the real thing.  For some time, I survived by drinking this vile liquid.

Public speaking classes were suggested by a few of my newly acquired friends, and by this point I was willing to try anything.  They did help to get things moving, but honestly, there was no substitute for experience and the self-confidence gained from my first successful feeding.  By way of public outings and private parties, I practiced and refined my technique until it was elegant in it’s form and flawless in it’s execution.  It wasn’t long at all before there were few who could resist my enchanting allure.

I had it all at this point:  I was lionized as a brilliant physician who was at the top of her field, and with that came all the money, fame and friends that any sane person could possibly want for…immortal or not.  But like anyone who has ever had everything they’ve ever desired thrown at their feet, I found my existence to be lacking. 

Life is not about nourishing your “wants.”  No, that is a hunger that is never satisfied.  But even immortals have needs.  We, too, have emotional cravings, such as they are, and they need to be appeased as well.  In short:  my heart ached for one, single kindred spirit to share the joys of my life with.  And so, my finely tuned hunting skills found themselves a new use, as I set out to fill that cold emptiness in my heart.

Then, it appeared as though a miracle had manifested itself in my life, and the void was suddenly filled.  It was almost as though the universe itself, in a moment of uncharacteristic compassion, personally delivered him to my door so that I might finally know contentment, despite my shortcomings.  Dedrick was the congenial companion I had desired for so long.

Had I maintained any regard for trappings and protocol of high society, I might not have even considered him as a suitor.  As I was busy with my career and meager social circle, I had little time for managing the cleanliness of my apartment.  Thus, I hired a cleaning service and he was the housekeeper they sent.  But while Dedrick was not exceptionally great at his job, he was charming, kind and somewhat handsome.  I could tell he cared little for things like wealth and status, and the fact that I was a Night Walker mattered to him even less.  He liked me for who I was, not what I was.

Yes.  He was a Day Walker, like you are.

We shared many an evening out before we came to the decision to marry.  It was a beautiful ceremony, held after sunset so that my friends and I would be more comfortable.  Of all the astounding things that I have accomplished in my life, this was the most prodigious of them all, by far.

I devoted my life with Dedrick to elevating him to heights he had never imagined he could reach.  And it’s entirely possible he would have never reached his potential without my sponsorship.  He often credited his success to my endless benefaction and encouragement.

“Without the support of my beloved wife, Veronika,” he had said many, many times, “I would be nothing.”

But he was mistaken:  it was I who was nothing before I met him, and I have been nothing since he departed.

I apologize, Day Walker.  This is very difficult for me to relate to you.  Countless years have passed, and my heart is still broken.  You see:  he would not come with me. 

He choose to continue to walk in the sunlight, as it was my decision to remain in the darkness.  Many times I begged him to join with me…to accept this gift that I was given, too.  But I could not change his heart any more than I could fix the moon in the sky above my head to prevent the break of dawn.  He feared what the transformation might alter within him:  because I loved the man he was, he dared not risk becoming something else…for I might somehow cease love him.  But how could I not?

So I was forced to stand there and watch, day by day, as he grew old and died as I remained steadfast and ageless.  It was a full and rich life from his perspective, but to me it happened in the blink of an eye.

I still visit him, up there on that hill, where he rests peacefully as my existence painfully endures.  I occasionally curse him for his illiberality…but these are hollow words:  I know full well that I’m the selfish one.

When I think of my departed beloved, it always takes me back to that night in Elvira’s apartment.  ‘The cruel joke that is life,’ she said.  I remember her words well, and I never understood them as perfectly as I did on the day that I was robbed of my Dedrick.

It was life’s way of reinforcing in me that, no matter how deep into the darkness I fled, I would never escape it’s tyrannical punch-line.

To be continued.....

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »
Ah R.I.P. Dedrick. At least she found someone to be happy with even though she lost him in the end. Poor Veronika!

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 01:02:12 AM »
First of all:  This thread should probably be moved to the Miscellaneous Stories child board, since that's the category it would really fall under I think.

Second of all:  I haven't forgotten about this story.  When I get on a roll with something like this, my mind tends to go in all directions at once and my train of thought can get muddled.  And then when I write, it never seems to turn out anywhere near as good as the "movie in my mind" looks to me.  The words don't flow, and the story gets choppy and chaotic.

And sometimes when I start a story, I decide to take it in a completely different direction depending on how things flow, and I struggle with deciding on which things I want to keep and which things I need do discard because they no longer fit.  When I put a bunch of ideas down, it's because I like those ideas and I loathe getting rid of any of them.

In cases of either of the above, I simply need to take a step away for a little bit to basically "clear my mind's cache files" lol.  As it turned out with this particular story, both of them happened.  But after a bit of a break where I didn't even think about it or even play the sim it was based around (getting new ideas would only make matters worse lol), I looked at it again the day before yesterday and started brainstorming.  The brainstorm ended up turning into a typhoon, and now I'm a lot farther ahead in the story than I am with getting screenshots lol.

So now I continue.  Sorry for the delay, and I hope it was worth the wait.

-----

Part IV

My love…my Dedrick, was a man of overwhelming generosity and he regularly lavished me with tokens of his affection.  But there is one gift that he gave that I cherished above and beyond all the others.  A single, shining jewel that illuminated our lives, so valuable and beautiful that it made even the most flawless diamonds as dull and worthless as a pebble along the roadside.  This bounty that he shared with me chased away the shadows cast over my heart by what I knew was to become of him, and provided succor to my shattered spirit in the days after he left my side for whatever lies beyond the darkness in which I dwell.

Yes, Day Walker:  a child.  Her name was Serena.

She took after me in some ways:  Her hair, her mouth…and as she grew older it became apparent that her mind was just as starved for knowledge as mine was at her age, if not more so.  She owned a charm and a wit that few others could hope to rival, and to merely be in her presence was to understand love on a new, more profound level.  We knew early on that she was destined to a phenomenon in whatever she chose to do.

Serena favored her father in other ways:  she had his eyes, his chin…and his passion for his mortal existence.  She shared an integral, unbreakable bond with nature, and she loved nothing more than to nurture plants, to grow her own food and to simply bask in the glory of the natural process of life.  For me to remove my child from her hallowed sunlight would have been a vicious cruelty and an unspeakable crime.  I could not even bring myself to ask.

Yet another loved one, torn brutally from my adoring embrace.

But…before the ‘cruel joke’ could have it’s way with her, she managed to marry and make a life of her own.  He was not the husband I would have liked for my precious daughter, but what man ever is to a mother?  Regardless, he adored her as my Dedrick did me, and did everything within his meager ability to make her life with him a joyous one.  And in this, at least, I was content.

They, too had children, and in turn those children had families of their own in order to create a new generation, and on and on, several times over.  In fact, many of my descendents still live in this very city.  That alone I consider to be an unconditional victory over all of life‘s harsh inevitabilities.

Over the years, I have done what I could to distance myself from them, and as a result my name is long forgotten to them.  But still, I cannot resist the urge to dote on my kin from afar:  anonymous birthday gifts, unexplainable trust funds, ambiguous opportunities that should not have been there.  I prefer allow them to believe that they live a charmed existence, as I remain the faceless, mysterious benefactor that they don’t even realize they have.  And it’s very expensive to remain in the shadows as I have.

Why go through all the trouble?  It’s a simple explanation, really:  to shield them from my darkness…from the monster that I am.  Because there are some secrets which should remain buried.

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 02:16:34 AM »
Ah poor Veronika. I would say welcome Serena, but I'm too late with that one! Welcome Serena's descendants?! That was an awesome update! Worth the wait. Am I to believe you had a non-vampire kid in one try??  :o :o

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 02:30:54 AM »
Good god no.  I ended up having to cheat in the name of artistic license, because a vampire child didn't work for what the story evolved into. 

I made 6 attempts at it before I finally gave up.  I then created a separate save file for the story, and created a toddler that I modified from Veronika in CAS.  I had to include an adult, so I merged them with the household in the story save file, then moved the adult out lol.

The first attempt at it I kept, though, and that's Veronika's daughter in the pictures I posted of them in the vampires thread.

This is Veronika's real daughter, Serena.

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 02:35:23 AM »
Oh ok! That sounds better lol. I was thinking you got the miracle child haha. The real Serena is beautiful!

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 03:44:11 AM »
She is a much more slender version of her mother, with her father's eyes.  She's nowhere near as heavily muscled as her mother is (she takes after her father in that respect, too), but let's just say that certain "attributes" did get passed down.  Yeah, she takes after her mother in more ways than being a vampire lol.

Offline CarlaluvsSims

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »
I haven't played with a vampire yet; your story makes me want to try one! I love all the vampire movies and your story has definitely got me looking forward to your next chapter!

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »
First of all:  This thread should probably be moved to the Miscellaneous Stories child board, since that's the category it would really fall under I think.

Presto chango, your wish is my command.  :D

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 03:42:43 PM »
Thanks for the move!

Part V

To co-exist is to suffer.  Two people cannot occupy the same world without eventually causing each other pain…either through intent or by happenstance.  Individuality is both our greatest gift and our darkest curse.  I, myself, have gone out of my way to minimize the damage caused in the wake of me living my life, but sometimes you can’t see your crimes until the harm is done.

You see, Day Walker:  Serena was not an only child.

Much later, Dedrick and I had a son, and we welcomed him with the same exuberance and loved him with the same reckless abandon that we did his sister.  We thought ourselves to be doubly blessed…but nothing could have prepared us for the reality he brought with him.

Serena and Adrian were diametric opposites of one another, almost as if it was cognizant choice made by both of them as their spirits intermingled in the vacuity between life and death prior to their conception.  Where Serena brought joy to those who made her acquaintance, Adrian inflicted sorrow on any who crossed his path.  As Serena was infinite in her capacity for compassion, Adrian’s wrath knew no limits.  My daughter:  the exquisite creator…My son:  the ruthless destroyer. 

And as the days rolled on, he only became more vicious.

Adrian and Serena were as different as the night and the day that they walked in respectively.  This son, you see, parallels his mother in one important respect:  he inherited my gift.  But if traits are truly inherited throughout subsequent generations, it was not I that he truly took after, but his grandmother in darkness:  Elvira.

Before Serena was born, Dedrick and I had been looking at larger houses to accommodate our growing family.  But after I became pregnant, the homes that we had previously decided on suddenly became more expensive or unavailable.  To this day, I do not know the reason with absolute certainty, but I maintain some suspicions.  The only place to live that suited our needs and was still within our budget was a penthouse…directly across the street from Elvira’s.  It was a nice enough place, and Elvira and I were still very close, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that this was not an accident.

Perhaps it was her desire to watch me and my children more closely, but I cannot say as I never posed the question.  And indeed, she did participate in their lives to a great extent and even seemed to care for my daughter, to the extent of which she was capable.  Serena even came to see her as a surrogate grandmother, as my mother was long gone before her birth.

But Adrian took his darkness to extremes that caused even Elvira to come to curse his name.  If my old friend did have a machination, I am well certain that Adrian did not fit into it as she had hoped.   My only comfort is that his father did not live long enough to see his dark son realize his terrible potential. 

Mercifully, it has been a long time since I have seen his face or bore witness to his handiwork, so I can only wonder if this world has been cleansed of his stain.  But as familiar as I am with life, I don’t dare to hope that it fosters any sense of justice.

While on some level, I believe there to be no more serious a wrong than to speak ill of your own flesh and blood, but it is the obligation of every responsible being to maintain ownership of their misdeeds.  Adrian is my sin…and all of the good that I have done cannot make up for this unspeakable crime.  As I do still love my son, it saddens me to no small extent to have to say this:  I have no greater regret than I do for this darkness that I called forth and inflicted on the world.

Do not ask, as I will not speak of his deeds to you.  Even for the likes of the Night Walkers, one is never the same having heard these accounts.  As I told you:  there are some secrets that are best left unspoken.  Indeed, I have shared much with you this evening, but these are not my tales to tell.

And if you are wise, you will pray that you are never in a position to hear them.

Offline CharlotteDaBookworm

• Occult
  • Call me Charlotte, Charlie or Char
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »
I'm not wise. I wanna here them. Please  ;)

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
Awesome and mysterious update! I'm not wise either, I wanna know what he did!  ;D

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 01:10:29 AM »
I haven't actually created a back story for Adrian...not yet, anyways.  ;)  But if it's something that can cause the likes of the Bridgeport vampires to feel uneasy, it's got to be pretty bad.  They're all evil, and most of them are even in the criminal career (and Elvira's LTW is to be an Empress of Evil, even though she's a doctor).

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 06:53:15 AM »
That was great.  I love secrets and mystery in stories, just makes it so more interesting.  Good job. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

anything