Author Topic: Does anyone else use Create-a-World?  (Read 11813 times)

Offline Glic2000

• Townie
Does anyone else use Create-a-World?
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »
I was just curious who else is using CAW.  I haven't seen much mention of it here.

I've been at it for the last few months and my first town is (finally!) almost done. 

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
Re: Does anyone else use Create-a-World?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »
I am, and I love it, at this point, most of my gaming time is in CAW.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Ambiesboy

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:49:32 AM »
I bought the game on steam and when I try to install it I get an error trying to tell me I don't have the game itself installed.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 04:57:35 PM »
I haven't yet, but over the past few weeks I've been considering experimenting with it. 
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Glic2000

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:19:09 PM »
Well, it ain't easy. :)  Be prepared to spend quite a bit of time reading/watching tutorials and just poking around with it.

Still, it's fun once you get into it...

Offline Jonna

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:57:11 PM »
I do!  I even have a world posted on the official site that I made pre-LN.  I have another world that I play with but have not made available for download.  I use the tiny maps because my computer isn't that great - which is why I don't bother putting in decorations.  Fewer items for the game to render.

I play with CAW in spurts; I have to be in the mood.  I started making a dessert-themed island, but haven't found the motivation to finish it.  Yes, dessert.  Two s's.  Delicious (just?) desserts.  I was even contemplating requesting that the forum builders create housing and clubs that are shaped like or inspired by desserts.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:28:15 PM »
I have tackled it on and off since it was first released.  It does take quite some time to get everything looking good and working correctly.  Most of my problem is in constructing my roads as I somehow always seem to disconnect a roadway at one intersection or another.   I have made a few worlds for my own use and still find slight errors even after hours of game play. 
CAW is awful hard on video cards too as I burnt one out in the beginning.   
And like Jonna says - one has to be in the mood  :D.
Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 03:59:40 AM »
It is time consuming and it takes a while to get to know it well enough to enjoy it fully, but I love it. Now I have no problems with roads but making edges look realistic and keeping the world flat is pretty hard. Also fittin everything on small map without making it so dense is challenging. But harder thing is to stop placing spawners, It seems I can't get enough of them. I just spent 20 minutes placing that splashing wave in right position! But it does looks wonderful!
I also have less problems with roads if I place large lots where I want them, and lining them with grid on. So I usually place both roads and lots simultaneously, and after all is placed, check and fix each intersection, bridge etc. I also, tend to upload world in the middle, just to get a feeling of it in game. I'm jet to discover how to import families in CAW so that I can export it inhabited..

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »
I've been playing around with it too. I'm taking my time doing a world that I may ( or may not) upload here when it's finished, depending how it goes.
As for inhabited worlds, I'm sure I read that the only way to do it (at the moment) is by using mods which I don't want to do. If I do upload it, I was going to upload the individual households as well with instructions as to where each family belong, so people could get the feel og how I intended it to be.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
I've wanted to get CAW and fool around with it in the hopes I could have a vampire free world to play in but other than the learning curve, I'm concerned about the video card.  My computer already runs fairly slow for a reasonably new pc, Windows 7, and I'm constantly having to clean things out when I play Sims or I get that stop and start jerky movement thing.  What video card or cards are best?  Is there any other upgrade that would be needed to keep your pc safe and running fast and smooth?
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
Well, it ain't easy. :)  Be prepared to spend quite a bit of time reading/watching tutorials and just poking around with it.

It does take quite some time to get everything looking good and working correctly.

It is time consuming and it takes a while to get to know it well enough to enjoy it fully

None of this is dissuading me, by the way.  In fact, it's having the opposite effect.  :P

I guess I'm off to download it.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 02:22:58 AM »
I have an ongoing project and quite like making Worlds but I have only ever had two serious projects and this is my second.  ;)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline CharlotteDaBookworm

• Occult
  • Call me Charlotte, Charlie or Char
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:33:57 AM »
See I cant find out how to make it work. Any help guys?

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 02:40:37 AM »
Well, tell us what is the problem? What you can't make work?

Offline CharlotteDaBookworm

• Occult
  • Call me Charlotte, Charlie or Char
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 02:54:30 AM »
I guess I just dint know how to use it and the guide on the Sims 3 site isn't very helpful ether

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 03:04:28 AM »
There is a guide for CAW too, you can find it all over the internet:)
For start, go to file/new world and you chose one of the maps showned in browse window. From there you should play with terain tool (paint and sculpt, just like landskaping lots), adding roads, lots etc. If you have specific question, I'll be happy to help if I know how of course.
I do recommend to read that CAW tutorial
( www.thesims3.com/content/global/downloads/caw/help_en.pdf

@twinmum, I finded the same info about populating worlds in CAW, so sad.

Offline Glic2000

• Townie
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »
I'm jet to discover how to import families in CAW so that I can export it inhabited..

Well you can always just go to Edit Town mode, move in all the families, save the game, and then give people that saved game to use...

Offline Glic2000

• Townie
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 10:50:49 PM »
I've wanted to get CAW and fool around with it in the hopes I could have a vampire free world to play in but other than the learning curve, I'm concerned about the video card.  My computer already runs fairly slow for a reasonably new pc, Windows 7, and I'm constantly having to clean things out when I play Sims or I get that stop and start jerky movement thing.  What video card or cards are best?  Is there any other upgrade that would be needed to keep your pc safe and running fast and smooth?

How much ram do you have? 
Are you using a laptop?
Which video card do you have and how much memory does it have?

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX/GTS cards are really good. 

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 06:09:32 AM »
Well you can always just go to Edit Town mode, move in all the families, save the game, and then give people that saved game to use...

You're right, but I still need to upload empty world, and then, the saved file with townies as an option. It's not a big deal, but it would be very nice to be able to start new game with standard townies, as with all EA towns.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »
Can you not import famillies when you go into 'Edit in Game' ? I thought you could? Or is it just houses and do building?

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
I just updated my CAW and now my World has gone!  :'( Looks like I will have to start again.  :-\

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »
What you mean? You lost all your saved files only after update? Hope you'll find them, if not, than, join the club. I also lost everything and still am recovering. Someone said it is much faster when you repeat it, and that's true, but there is always that but.

You can check by yourself that editing in game aloud only empty houses and commercial lots. Unfortunately, no way to insert Sims without mods. But, Glic offer usable alternative to that, thanks.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 01:38:09 PM »
Yeah I just tested it and you can't get to insert sims into a CAW project.  :-\

Offline Glic2000

• Townie
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »
Your saved worlds would be stored in:

Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\Worlds

So you can check that folder to see if your saved files are there or not.

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »
I already did and the whole world is just not there! Everything else from other projects is.  :-\

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »
Yeah I just tested it and you can't get to insert sims into a CAW project.  :-\

While I haven't actually used it yet, I did read the instructions.

Doesn't it say specifically that you can populate the town?

Offline Glic2000

• Townie
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 10:15:12 PM »
It specifically says you CAN'T populate a town, actually.

According to the docs, "...adding Sims to your world is done once you've imported your world into The Sims 3."   

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »
It specifically says you CAN'T populate a town, actually.

Ah yes, so it does!  I misread it the first time through.  My bad.  ;)

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 02:25:59 AM »
I guess it wouldn't take too long for a town get populated, you could always provide the Households that go in to your Neighbourhood if the Downloader did not want a bunch of Townies and NPC genetics to choose from? Which may be what I will do and just make some households to go into a Town, I think they keep Jobs and Skills etc. they just lose Relationships and Dead Family Members Ties.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 03:48:05 AM »
I exported world I'm working on, and for now there are only 2 empty apartments and one park, plus all rabbitholes and ambitions lots, and almost immediately, mixologyst showed up, 3 paparazzi were hanging out, and a thief was reading a book, all in that one park. Later I saw some other Sims hanging out, so it won't be deserted world, only thing is you can't place premade families before exporting, but you can do what you want in edit town.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 11:18:06 PM »
For some reason, the idea of random people showing up in the town kind of appeals to me.  Are they all just single sims or does story progression create families, too?

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 02:15:02 AM »
For some reason, the idea of random people showing up in the town kind of appeals to me.  Are they all just single sims or does story progression create families, too?

I liked that too, so I shift click and add one to family just to check the same thing(are they "empty singles like those fresh from the CAS or already developed characters), and one of the paparazzi had a romantic relationship and 2 kids with that lady, teen and toddler, one child had mother's last name, and other had father's. Other paparazzi had 3 good friends and 3 level photography skill. So it's the same like in SV with story progression, town is getting populated and is alive.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 06:41:26 PM »
That's really cool!  I think I'll go and start one.

Frey

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 09:24:53 PM »
I started yesterday and it's a pain in my behing actually. It's kind of a love-hate relationship I'm having. I hate it but I can't stop using it... but probably if I could get roads to connect with each other I wouldn't hate it so much.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 03:36:00 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQD4V-gpxY&feature=related

This is one of the best I find, but it's not perfect tutorial. Use grid to place roads in a line (at least while you practice and in a zone where you'll place lots) so you don't have to move roads too much. Also you can see the dark blue square at the end of the road that you are placing/moving, well, if you click and drag that square you can move and stretch or extend your road. Green squares are for curves on the road. Each time you place road square, you want it to be connected well or in game play your Sim will exit car and walk over each road square.

Also, I find it easier to plan ahead, and place lot for large central park (or whatever you want, like plaza, shopping area whatever), and then line roads around it. And do parts of the map like that, rather than do all roads at once. It is not hard once you learn tricks, but first couple of attempts are the hardest. I spent 2 hours placing my first bridge in a perfect line, now I can do it in a few minutes, it all comes together eventually.

Frey

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 10:23:17 AM »
 ;D Thanks! I'll try again now, it's actually a lot of fun but very frustrating.. this will be a lot of help  ;).

Offline Filly

• Townie
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »
Anushka - do you know if you can have more than one of the same kind of building, like the theatre or bookstore without it affecting the opportunities or game play?

Frey

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 04:28:58 PM »
I did it! I'm struggling with bridges right now hehe. Thanks a lot again, Anushka  :D.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 09:53:55 PM »
Anushka - do you know if you can have more than one of the same kind of building, like the theatre or bookstore without it affecting the opportunities or game play?

I'm not Anushka, but yes you can have more than one of the same kinds of a building.  I designed a town that has a downtown with all the usual buildings and a suburb with a bookstore, grocery, consignment store, laundromat, firehouse and a salon.  I haven't had any clashes yet - knock on wood ;).

Offline Filly

• Townie
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
mtglady - I'm so excited to hear that, thanks!  I've been wanting to try out CAW but didn't want to go through all the trouble if my ideas wouldn't work out.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »

Filly, I have a rather fast computer with lots of memory so I have no trouble creating or playing large worlds.  As you design your world, save and import into your game play and try it out as you go.  That is the best way to see if your computer can handle the world you are creating. 
I did this several times even though I was fairly certain my computer could handle it.  And don't forget that the first time you are loading your new world it may take quite a long time.  Just be patient ;)
Good luck and Happy Simming!

Offline Filly

• Townie
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:41 PM »
Its kind of embarassing to admit that I didn't have a computer (only a netbook) but still bought the Sims 3 when it came out and every expansion and stuff since.  Last September I splurged got a great gaming computer and don't think I will have a problem handling CAW but only that I won't have the patience to figure everything out!  I'm going to have to go read some guides and watch some videos.

If you ever need a tester for a world I wouldn't mind helping, as I'm pretty proud of my baby with its fast processor and RAM.  :)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2011, 04:10:20 AM »
I might download it. I have downloaded it. But it doesn't work!
After watching a tutorial by TheSimSupply, I think it looks pretty easy. Then again - this guy makes EVERYTHING look easy. :D

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »
Seabody, is there any error message or something?
Basics are not really hard, specially if you see some tutorials, and if you have some time to get to know the interface (what is where).  At first, I had quite some trouble finding the sculpt terrain, and I felt like an idiot once I finally saw it. :)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 01:14:50 AM »
There is. It says something like:
"Your Version of the Sims 3 is not compatible with Create a World. Please un-install and re-install Create a World". Now, I've done this, reloaded Create a World, then the message comes up again.
I'm not on a Mac. I am reasonably sure my game is up to date.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 03:08:57 AM »
You're not the only one with that problem, in technical board there is another member with same thing happening. Not shore what else you can do but reinstall both Sims and CAW. If that doesn't work, adress the issue to EA, and wait for another update..

Offline ladydragon76

• Townie
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2011, 06:58:11 AM »
I've been fiddling with CAW for a while, but my break-throughs have all been in the last month or so.  I'm making an island called, Sima Sima (Bora Bora heheh).  I do most of my lot building in an island I've exported.  I haven't quite decided if I'll be adventurous enough this time around to learn how, and then make my own rabbit holes, so for now all the community lots (with the exception of my beaches) are Sunset Valley transplants that I'm modifying for an islandy feel.

I still have more lots to modify, but most of them are done, and I've been building houses in between.  MANY to go there.  Though Danefaith and Lilygirl both graciously allowed me to add some fittingly themed homes they built to the island as well.  I've added credit to the lot description for them, and see on the showboat thread that I may need to go beg some other great designers for permission as well.  Not to mention all the great ideas I've seen.  I want to make a farm that would work like a community garden, or dream lot for a gardner Sim, and then the rec center, and I saw a gorgeous gas station.  A friend of mine suggested a movie theatre (hang-out) with multiple auditoriums and a snack stand!

As you can see by my rambling, I'm really excited about this.  There've been hiccups along the way, but thus far I have a fully tested working city since I go in to play and build.  It's the large island, and one good flood would drown it since it's so flat, but with all I've been learning I think I may eventually do another map with a bit more to the topography.

I think I'm done babbling for now.  ;D

*hugz!*
-LD
I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 01:57:15 AM »
Seabody and everyone else having problem with CAW and updated game, I joined the club. When I wanted to install some of the downloaded lots from SwapShop, it said game was not up to date, but my EA Downloader claimed it was. Then I got Outdoor SP and game was authomatically updated, and all lots are now installed in game, but CAW is not working anymore. It said I need latest version, even if I do have it. I'm angry angry angry.. Now I have to install everything from the scratch without latest SP and without complete update to get into CAW..

Offline ladydragon76

• Townie
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2011, 02:19:23 AM »
Oh no!  I had to uninstall and re-install CAW after getting Late Night, but had no issue after Outdoor Living.  However, I wonder if that ties in any to the problems I'm having with my residential lots not staying as I put them upon export.

*hugz*  and good luck!
-LD
I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2011, 03:10:39 AM »
I think my issue is that I have never patched my game. :-[
I'm going to finally do it tomorrow. ;D

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »
I was looking around web if someone find a solution for this issue when error message ask for latest version even if you have latest version. Apparently, some people menage to get it to work by simply uninstall - reinstall same CAW. It didn't work for me. So I reinstalled Sims with all EP's without SP's and without latest update that messed CAW for me. Still didn't work. I tried reinstalling CAW again with this freshly installed game and nothing. Then I updated it again fully, and still no.. I don't know how it worked with LN, and now on same settings it wont.  So now I play challenges and build lots on version I have exported and not so patiently wait for new CAW version.
If you heard about any solution please post it.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2011, 03:31:43 AM »
I'm happy - CAW Works for me. Finally.
Does anybody know if you have more freedom in "Edit in Game" than you do in the standard game?
EDIT: Something's wrong - when I "Edit in Game", flooring is grey, and I can't see walls/foundations. What's wrong?

Offline cassims

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 03:51:22 AM »
I'd been using CAW on and off for a fair while and have just started getting back into it and after about 5 mins of working it comes up with " CAW has crashed, this may be due to corrupt memory" (something along the lines of that anyway), then crashes, leaving me sad :( That problem was why i stopped in the first place after making one beautiful world, that i lost (and was too upset to try again).

Has anyone had this problem or know how i can fix it??   ???
It always seems impossible until its done.
-Nelson Mandela

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2011, 03:41:50 AM »
Cassims, I'm sorry to hear you're expiriencing problems with CAW, you're not the only one, and Natsuko started a tread about it here. I'm not shore I can help you with it,I already wrote my assumtions about it there, maybe EA support has the answer?

Now that we have child board, this topic might be transfered there, and for few of us who play with CAW, we can maybe start some specific topics - from tutorials and tips to showboards.
Is anyone interested in this? I'm really not an expert but I learned some things till now and will be happy to share it.

Also this topic might be better placed in CAW tread too.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2011, 04:16:42 AM »
Now that does sound like a good idea Anushka. And maybe a CAW manager? Just suggesting that, because it might be a good idea.

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »
Hmmm... Well, being me, I always start building a (seemingly) epic town with all sorts of cool stuff. Five minutes later, I wander off in search of chocolate-chip cookies, and I never see the town file again.

On a side note: This is my first post  c:

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2011, 03:01:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum Execution!  *heads for peanut butter cookies*
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

anything