Author Topic: Riches Galore: The Orphanage Project (Completed)  (Read 118918 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Riches Galore: The Orphanage Project (Completed)
« on: March 11, 2011, 04:18:39 PM »
To Anyone Reading this Story for the First Time:  This story was started when we still had an in-house picture service and that is the reason for the small pictures at the beginning.  I changed to the Gallery partway through the story and I do plan to put all the pictures in the Gallery eventually so they'll be the same size. 

Chapter 1:   We Meet the Players

Once upon a time, in the mythical kingdom of Sunset Valley, lived a very wealthy family called the Vandersims.  Cornelius, patriarch of the family, made his money investing in real estate.  When our story opens, Cornelius is a very old man; he owns most of the town and sometimes refers to "his" town as "Vander Valley."  No one knows whether or not the old man intends it as a joke.

Cornelius had married a very suitable wife, the poised and aristocratic Deborah.  When our story opens, Deborah is no longer as young as she once was.  But she is still always immaculately turned-out, and older gentlemen still frequently cast admiring glances her way.

Cornelius spends long hours in his study, managing his real estate investments.  Deborah is content to read quietly while her husband works.  Both of them enjoy relaxing in the study's quiet atmosphere, surrounded by the comforting musty smell of old books, with the portrait of Cornelius's father looking on.

Cornelius and Deborah have two children, twins Sebastian and Pippa.  Now that Sebastian and Pippa are Young Adults, it is time for Cornelius to start turning over some of the responsibility of managing the properties to his children.  But Cornelius finds himself putting off talking to Sebastian and Pippa.  To be honest, he just isn't sure either of his children is up to the task.  Neither of them have ever shown the slightest interest in learning about his work.  Oh, they're happy enough to take the money; yes, they certainly know how to take money.  But work?  Frankly, Cornelius's opinion of his children is that they are a pair of spoiled, useless idlers, content to do nothing more demanding than throw endless parties.  Sebastian's fondness for nectar is legendary - about the only time he ever shows enthusiasm for anything is when he's cracking open a good vintage.  And as for his daughter, Pippa's only real interest seems to be acquiring the latest designs from the Sims Store, regardless of whether or not they suit her.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
Re: Riches Galore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
Awesome start Schipperke!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 11:19:44 PM »
The clothes on Pippa are hysterical!  I didn't buy anything from that set, but it looks good in your story.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:22:18 AM »
The clothes on Pippa are hysterical!  I didn't buy anything from that set, but it looks good in your story.  :)

The outfit Sebastian is wearing is also from that set.  I think it's quite bizarre looking too, with his belly showing.  You can't see the pants in that picture, but trust me - no self-respecting Sim would go around wearing them (in my opinion, anyway).  Thanks very much for the comments, Pam and Esther.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »
Chapter 2:  A Fateful Journey

Cornelius finds himself unable to concentrate on his work.  The peacefulness of his study is marred by the sounds of music and laughter drifting up from yet another party his children are hosting.  He finally gives up on his work and suggests to Deborah that they take a Sunday afternoon drive.  It is a relief to be outside and away from the noise.

Deborah suggests they stop at the Consignment Store, hoping she may find another music box to add to her collection.  As they pull up outside the store, suddenly the sky grows dark.  Unable to escape, Cornelius and Deborah sit helplessly as their car is hit by a meteorite.

For Cornelius and Deborah, the end is quick and painless.  They die as they have lived, together forever.

Cornelius and Deborah have lived long, rewarding lives.  Both accept death calmly and greet the Reaper as an old friend.  They are ready to move on. 

At Vandersim mansion the butler pours more drinks and the party continues.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 10:31:06 PM »
Oh wow, that's awesome in a sad way. I loved that pic of the meteor hitting the car!! That's an awesome pic!! R.I.P. Cornelius and Deborah. Do the kids even know their parents are dead?!

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »
Do the kids even know their parents are dead?!

Do they know?  Do they care?  Good question.   ;)

Thanks very much for the comment, Esther!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 07:21:03 AM »
How did you get the Meteor to hit their car? I like the story by the way.  :)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »
How did you get the Meteor to hit their car? I like the story by the way.  :)

That actually happened in a different game.  Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to take pictures, so all I had to do was buy Cornelius and Deborah the same car.

I'm glad you like the story, samoht.  Thanks very much for the comment!

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »
Chapter 3:  The Will is Read, Part I

Sebastian and Pippa agree that their parents would not want them to waste time in protracted mourning.  Sebastian calls Payne and Fears, his father's lawyers, to arrange an appointment for the reading of the will.  They arrive at the lawyer's office eager to hear how much money their father has left them.

As Mr. Payne busies himself opening the will, Sebastian and Pippa talk eagerly between themselves.
Pippa:  Just think of all the lovely jewels I'll be able to buy!
Sebastian:  And all that wonderful money ...

Mr. Payne clears his throat loudly.  The twins cut short their speculation and turn to the lawyer, their eyes gleaming in expectation of the wealth soon to be theirs.

The lawyer begins:  "There are several small bequests - "  Sebastian interrupts, impatiently: "Yes, yes."  Pippa urges:  "Get to the part about us!  How much are we getting?"

The old lawyer gives the twins a long look then says:  "Of course.   Your father was very clear on how he wanted this worded, so what follows is the precise wording determined by Cornelius."  He begins reading:  "To my dear children, Sebastian and Pippa.  Your mother Deborah and I love you very much and have always wanted the best for you.  We have spared no expense to give you everything you needed or wanted.  We now see that in doing so, we made a grave error.  Everything has always been made easy for you, and as a result you are a pair of wastrels.  Neither of you has any skills and the very thought of getting a job sends shivers down your elegantly-clothed spines.  You fritter away vast quantities of money you haven't earned on parties, nectar and the latest appalling fashions.  You never give a thought to those less fortunate than yourselves."

Sebastian interrupts again:  "I say, is there much more of this dreadful moralizing?  Look, there's really no need to go through all that nonsense.  Just tell us how much we're getting, and we'll be on our way."

The lawyer glares at Sebastian, shaking his finger at him:  "Insolent pup!  Your father was right about you.  Now, sit down and shut up!"

Sebastian is shocked into silence, unable to believe the lawyer has dared to speak to him like that.

Mr Payne continues reading:  "In short, children, it is belatedly obvious to your mother and me that you are afflicted with the disease of money.  And since we, your parents, caused this disease, it is clearly up to us to provide you with a cure.  Here is your prescription:  you will have 10 weeks to transform yourselves into productive members of society.  During this time, you will work, support yourselves, and learn skills.  You will both decide on a Lifetime Wish and you will work to achieve it.  You will buy your own house and take in needy orphans.  You will provide these unfortunates with everything they need to get a good start in life:  you will teach them to be happy, help them to succeed in school, and see that they acquire at least one skill to help them support themselves.  In addition, you will donate to charities regularly.  You will do all this without one penny of your parents' money and taking nothing from your parents' house.  At the end of the 10 weeks if you have done all these things, you will have shown yourselves worthy to inherit my fortune.  If not, the money will all go to the Home for Retired Gnomes."

... to be continued

FleurDeLune

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 11:15:37 AM »
That is just brilliant!!  I love it.

He he he ... Payne & Fears ... Home for Retired Gnomes.  Made my day!

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »
Thanks very much, Fleur!  I'm glad I could make you smile.  :)

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 11:58:36 AM »
Amazing story. I like it, especially the satire humor. :)
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 12:06:57 PM »
Thanks a lot, ChronicR!  Yeah, I'm having fun with this story.   :D

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
Chapter 3:  The Will is Read, part II

Sebastian and Pippa sit in stunned silence, unable to take in the lawyer's words.

Finally Sebastian says angrily:  How could Father treat us like that!  The old man must have been getting senile or something!  We'll contest the will, of course.

Mr Payne responds calmly:  That is your right, if you wish.  But contesting a will is a very expensive and lengthy course of action.  How do you intend to pay for this?

Sebastian:  Oh!  I can't believe this.  He knows we have no money.  (Turning to Pippa) Can you see me working for a living, like some common labourer?

Pippa:  Not really, darling.  (to Mr Payne) Of course, Skills will come with us?
Mr Payne, in confusion:  Skills?  But your father said you had no skills.
Sebastian:  She means the butler, Max Skills.  Pippa, that's a great idea!  Skills can do anything!  We'll get him to -
Mr Payne:  Mr Skills will stay in the mansion to look after things there.  Your father was very clear - you are to take nothing and no one with you.  No butler, no maid; from now on, you do everything that needs doing.
Pippa:  My car -
Mr Payne:  No cars.  But there are a couple of old bicycles in the garage.  I think you might be permitted to take them.

Sebastian, to Pippa:  Look at that smirk on his face!  He's enjoying seeing us suffer.
Pippa:  But where will we go?  Where will we live?

Mr Payne:  Ah, I believe I can help you there.  I know of a small house that's for sale.  Of course you need someplace to live, and the estate will allow you sufficient funds to purchase a starter home.  Mind, it won't be what you're used to.  It will need fixing up.  Shall I have the estate purchase it for you?
Sebastian, glumly:  I guess so.
Mr Payne:  I believe that covers everything.  Now, I have another client waiting, so if you don't mind ...

Sebastian and Pippa trudge dispiritedly out of the office.  Mr Payne watches them go, shaking his head.

anything