Author Topic: The Enviromental Legacy: The Greene Family  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
The Enviromental Legacy: The Greene Family
« on: March 21, 2011, 03:39:32 PM »
My body weakens.  Eons of neglect and carelessness have taken it’s toll on me, and I am wracked with disease.  Slowly, painfully…I’m dying.

However it is not my carelessness that has caused my condition.  It was my own children, through their various pursuits, who have caused this injury to me.  I have done all I could to nurture them and provide for their needs, but despite all of this, I am largely forgotten to them.  However, even though I have endured ages of abuse at their hands, I still love my children…for what mother could not?

Not all of my children have forgotten me, however.  There are still some who know me and appreciate what I do for them, but they are in the minority by far.  And there are some of my children who, because of their hearty and rebellious nature, seek to test their will and endurance against the worst of my fury.  I always oblige them and their games, and I do not hold back…even though these games occasionally result in tragedy.  They would not find the games worth playing if I did.

I have been given many names over the years, and I remember them all, even if my children don’t.  My favorite of them is still remembered even today, and I love it because I feel it is the most appropriate.  I am Mother Nature.

Recently, as I gazed upon my ailing form, my eyes fell upon Twinbrook.  I was saddened as I looked upon it.  Once a beautiful land filled with creeks and flora, it was changed dramatically by way of industrialization.  Many of it’s days were dark and dreary…and at this point I decided that my children in Twinbrook had suffered long enough.

To ease their suffering, I sent a new child into their midst.  Terra knows no parentage but me, and keeps my interests close to her heart.  She will join with my children in Twinbrook, and hopefully teach them the things they have forgotten.  She will procreate, and send her children off into the world to start their own families.  And when it is her time, she will choose a successor to continue her work and return to me for a well deserved rest.

Only time will tell if she can change the hearts and minds of the citizens of Twinbrook.

----------

Since it’s been such a long time since I’ve made an attempt at Pinstar’s legacy challenge, I decided that I’d give it a whirl once more.  Being an environmentalist myself, I decided to put a "Green" spin on this one.  I am likewise playing with the optional “Family Trait” and “Matriarchy” rules.  For a little extra challenge, I’ve decided to ban the use of apples and watermelon for forcing the gender of the children.   :o

I’ll likewise be using this first post for bookkeeping purposes.

----------

Family Trait:  Eco-Friendly

Generational Points:  0
Portrait Points:  0
Lifetime Happiness Points:  0
Lifetime Wish Points:  0
Completed LTW:
Total Points:  0

Current Matriarch:  Terra Greene
Spare:  N/A
Next Generation Matriarch:  None yet
Next Generation Spare:  None yet

Completed Generations Statistics:
Generation 1 Portraits:  0
Generation 1 total members:  1
Generation 2 Portraits:  0
Generation 2 total members:  0

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
Re: The Enviromental Legacy: The Greene Family
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
Amazing start, Hosfac. You are a rare talented gem. :)
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Colossus

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 01:46:40 AM »
Amazing start Hosfac.

"I’ve decided to ban the use of apples and watermelon for forcing the gender of the children."

Wonder the average number of kids you'll need per generation then. Yet, that is an interesting spin on making it a tiny bit more of a challenge.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 02:10:45 AM »
Lovely theme and well written.  This one may be worth featuring on Facebook.  I'll wait until a couple more entries are made, though.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline KrispyNickyB

• Immortal
  • The round peg in a square hole.
    • Subscribe to me on Youtube!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:27:36 AM »
A very nice start. I love the hook you gave to draw readers in. Nicely done!

Offline Alexandria_

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 09:32:34 AM »
Very nice start. I don't usually read legacy stories - I prefer to read dynasties. However, I think I might just make an exception for this one ;D

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:34:40 PM »
Terra discovered almost immediately that the world of mankind is a difficult one in which to live.  The simplicity of living off the bounty I provide was replaced by the complexity of trade provided by the sweat of one's brow.  So when she arrived in Twinbrook, she had nothing:  no shelter, no furniture and not even the barest of necessities.  She needed to find a way to make money that was within her meager abilities.

In addition to an innate understanding of the natural world, I gifted Terra with a love of family and the ability to feed them well.  She decided that this was the key to success in her mission, if not her very survival, and she secured a job at a local restaurant. 

She did so happily and without so much as a complaint or concern for her current condition, and while she was primarily motivated by the knowledge of what was at stake, I was pleased with her none the less.

To reward her, I sent her to speak with a man named Goodwin Goode. 

He was a police officer, but he maintained a more heroic dream of becoming a firefighter so he could take a more hands on approach to helping people.  He had recently been involved with another woman who carried his child, but their relationship had always been one that was more about convenience than compatibility.  While he might have pursued a relationship with her out of duty to their child, it is likely that he would not have been entirely happy.  And so, I placed Terra squarely in his path.

They were compatible on every level, and shared a common belief in the strength and power of family. 

Their friendship grew quickly, and then quickly grew into much more than a friendship. 

It was love at first sight, and before the day was out, Terra convinced Goodwin that a long courtship would be superfluous.  It did not take much to convince him, as it was clear to him as well that the two of them were destined to be together. 

I do know my children well, do I not?

Their union gave them the finances they needed to buy a bed.  And even though they did not yet have a house, with the bed and their love they were content.

Terra could see that Goodwin was not as happy as he could be in his current career, and so she encouraged him to follow his heart and to become a firefighter.  And after he did, he quickly saw that he had found his true calling.  Terra would often go to the fire station to visit with her husband while she waited for her own job to start.  They were inseparable.

When she wasn't working or keeping Goodwin company as he waited for emergencies, Terra would cultivate the earth, both for her own pleasure and to help provide sustenance for her budding family.

And it wasn't long before her budding family began to grow...

-----

Yes, the "no watermelon/apples" stipulation is going to make things very interesting...especially under the optional "matriarchy" rule lol.  My only relief is that I can move some of the kids out after they become young adults.  Luckily, this will make Terra's LTW, which is "Surrounded By Family," a sure thing.  :P

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I am planning on holding off on the "No Bills Ever" LTR for as long as I can.  I want to see just how much the solar panels and windmills decrease a household's living expenses.  Originally, I wasn't going to change Goodwin's career until I remembered exactly how much being a firefighter actually paid.  Since I have, it's going to increase the speed at which the house gets built, and it will give me another completed LTW.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »
Wow, Surrounded by Family is surely a difficult lifetime wish to pursue, especially if you don't plan on adopting AND play a legacy at the same time. I like your choice of spouse, Goodwin is as popular in Twinbrook as Christopher in Sunset Valley. You also made a good choice of keeping his current job, as he will be earning you more than any other rabbit hole career in no time. They say firefighters get 10,000$ weekly stipend after retiring. :o All in all, awesome story! :) Aside: are you going to use spinklers? If so, then be sure to make all of them automatic, since it will boost your bills if not upgraded, dramatically.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 01:16:48 AM »
Yeah, Surrounded By Family always ends up being one that I pull my hair out over at some point, plus the mother's career stagnates for a bit longer than I care for.  But I've been keeping Terra up on the cooking and keep plenty of prepared meals in the fridge, so she should rise in the ranks somewhat quickly when she finally gets back to work.  My idea was to make sure that this LTW was present and accounted for early on.  My plan is to have the spares and spouses complete wishes revolving around rabbit hole careers and the interactive professions, and the heir-apparent concentrating on ones that can be completed at home.  Now all Goodwin needs is a nice earthquake and he'll be well on his way to completing his (Super Hero Firefighter).

At some point in the very near future I will be getting a sprinkler and upgrading it.  I waited because I wanted Terra to get to level 7 Gardening faster (which she just did today).  Up until now every cent is going into getting good appliances and some walls so I could at least get a roof over their heads.  I went big on the appliances, simply because I don't want to waste money buying cheap ones that I'm just going to sell in a few sim weeks. 

And on a side note:  the Fridge of the Future that came with Late Night is very good.  Food keeps in there a good deal longer than it does in the others.  I've only had to throw out one group meal so far, and I make sure that everyone has access to breakfast, lunch and dinner.  It's still not as good as the Minus One Kelvin, but it will do until they can get their hands on one.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 01:24:53 AM »
I've never found sprinklers to raise the bills.  I've read about it more than once, but I always disagree.  There have been many times when I leave sprinklers running constantly and I don't notice a rise in bills.  Hosfac, if you get a chance to test this in your legacy, that would be great.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 02:28:16 AM »
I did, Pam. Probably it's because of a certain patch? I don't have them all.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 02:31:16 AM »
I did, Pam. Probably it's because of a certain patch? I don't have them all.

Do you have the specific numbers you can share?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 02:39:55 AM »
Bills went up from around 20§ to 90§. Hope that helps. :) Sorry for confusion.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 09:03:22 PM »
Next time I get the bills, I'll buy a sprinkler and let it run in between bill cycles 24/7.  I have a few solar panels, so I'll stash them in family inventory while I test it out.  If I don't see any significant difference with one, I'll buy a few more to see what effect it has.

-----

I had given my blessing to Terra and Goodwin, to coin a phrase, to be “fruitful and multiply.”  And they took to the task with great enthusiasm.

First came their son Derrick:

Followed very quickly by their daughter Luna:

Who was followed a short time after by another son, Troy:

This would have been a lot to handle for some people, but not my daughter.  Terra took to child rearing like a young bird takes to the air:  awkwardly at first, but she developed a graceful expertise in short order.  This put her job at the Bistro on hold, but Terra had little interest in that particular kind of worldly advancement.  To Terra, her family was her career, and the restaurant was only a second job.

Goodwin, on the other hand, discovered that he was a much better fireman than he was a police man.  He rose quickly through the ranks as he worked diligently to make Twinbrook a safer place to live.  His new job also made him an excellent provider for his family’s more worldly needs. 

It didn’t take long for a home to actually start taking shape, too.  While it can hardly be called a “roof over their heads,” it won’t take long at all before it actually becomes one.  But in the mean time, they are still content with their current accommodations in the great outdoors.

Derrick has started school recently, and has become friends with his half-brother, Garret Jones-Brown.  Family bonds run deep in his blood, and I knew that it would not take long for them to develop a healthy relationship with each other.

Luna is approaching that age as well, and Troy is now of an age that he can start learning life’s basics.   

Likewise, Terra and Goodwin are currently planning their next addition to their growing family.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »
I love both the green hair and white hair on the toddlers!  That's so cute!  Is Luna the second generation heir?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »
Excellent start Hosfac!

Offline KrispyNickyB

• Immortal
  • The round peg in a square hole.
    • Subscribe to me on Youtube!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 05:28:26 PM »
Such a cute story! Wait I have a question..the solar panels decrease bills? I did not know that. Learn something new everyday!

Shenice93

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 10:08:16 PM »
Yea they do. I've taken to placing them on almost all of my houses. Nice story so far Hosfac! I'm all for the enviornmental movement! Actually just the other day I pest-convinced my mom to go green and get a hybrid car when she went car shopping (with me tagging along of course). I even labled our recycling bins (paper, plastic, etc). I think it's safe to say I'm annoy-sharing my love with my family members. ;D

Offline gerrr00

• Immortal
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »
Are you still playing this game?  I liked the start and am hoping there will be an update soon.   ;D
Ignorance is not an excuse, please read the forum rules.

CandyHeartedSim

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 11:03:57 AM »
Yes! Update soon  ;D

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 09:40:06 PM »
Just took a gander at this for the first time, and I love it.  90% of my sims share this same story in one form or another, so this is one after my own heart!  I don't know that you'll find not using watermelons and apples to be all that difficult.  I often play matriarchal families to cut down on the number of sims to look after (the male parent never moves in), and I've never had a problem getting at least one daughter when I needed one.  Still, it's a very fun way to play!  I look forward to what comes next.  :)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 12:34:03 AM »
Are you still playing this game?  I liked the start and am hoping there will be an update soon.   ;D

The save file on this game got corrupted, as game files do sometimes.  The strange thing is that I know for a fact that I had them backed up on a flash drive.  They're just not there.  I only have 3 flash drives, so there isn't really anywhere else they could have possibly gone.  They have, quite literally, simply vanished.

Cue frustration, and much screaming on my behalf.  I was so upset about this that I didn't touch the Sims for close to a month (this was about the time that Medieval came out).  I was really liking this story a lot, and it meant something special to me.  I'm sorry I haven't mentioned this earlier, but I couldn't even bear to look at this thread after that, never mind talk about it.  It seems silly in retrospect to get so worked up over a game, but I get like that sometimes.

But, all is not lost (well, yes it is, but...).  Terra is still in my bin, and I have always planned on starting over at some point, and following the original path that I did to start with.  Some of the faces and names might change a little bit, but it will essentially be the same story.  That's why I haven't deleted the link from my signature.  Hopefully, I'll get back to it very soon.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 06:30:06 AM »
That is awful, Hosfac. Best of luck in your restart. Hopefully we can meet Terra again soon. :)

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 07:01:41 AM »
I've definitely been in those shoes before, including the screaming, sputtering and headdesking.  I also know how hard it can be to rediscover the motivation to begin again, but I'll cross my fingers to you find it and share another fun story with us.  Good luck!   8)

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »
Ah no, I'm sorry Hosfac! Yea I've been there too with the screaming and crying. Seriously, my family thinks I'm insane when the slightest thing goes wrong in the Sims!  ;D Can't wait to see the new Terra!