Author Topic: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)  (Read 314163 times)

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
Re: What to do if Your Game Slows Down (Clean Up Your Game)
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »
Leto, I love your expressions! I will enjoy saying "howly cow" even more than "holy cow". :)
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Valion

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 06:52:48 AM »
Hello!

I can't seem to find the DCbackup folder. I've checked the EA Sims 3 Folder and only found the saves folder and other stuff. Does that mean my game isn't slow yet? I'm asking because when I use the option to return to main menu in sims 3, the game takes longer to load than what it used to.

Thank you!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline athena

• Occult
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 07:50:51 PM »
Hello!

I cant seem to find the DCbackup folder i've checked the EA Sims 3 Folder and only found the saves folder and other stuff. does that mean my game isnt slow yet? i'm asking because when i use the option to return to main menu in sims 3 the game takes longer to load than what it used to.

Thank you!

Neither was I able to find he DCbackup folder, what I saw was DCCache and I didn't want to fool around with that. I've solved my loading problem by moving my video files to another drive. I solved my slow speed game by saving all my families in the slow speed town (pls note that not all towns have slow speeds, at least not in my game) in the family bin. You can even save the families with their houses if you want to. Then I deleted the old (decayed) town. I recreated same town (SV in my case) and placed back the families there. Now my game is running fine, no more sluggishness or choppiness. Good luck! :)

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Enjoy life and The Sims!
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 09:20:22 PM »
Valion and athena, I am using a PC and run Vista.  This is what my 'The Sims 3' folder looks like.  If you are on a MAC then you have something totally different.  As you can see the DCBackup folder is separate from the DCCache folder. 
I hope this helps you both.

@athena - I am glad you found a solution to your problem.  Moving the files in your 'Screenshots' folder to another file may also help with gaming performance.
Read the Forum Rules, they were written for a reason!  
Visit the Sims 3 Swap Shop.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 03:31:19 AM »
1258 files in the DCBackup map just I couldn't find this topic back. I must be blessed with the fact my game was still able to run. Howly cow! :O

Howly (Holy) cow - the ARM is back!  I have missed seeing your avatar Leto.  Glad you finally found it.

Offline Beddy_Boop

• Townie
  • Concerto No. 2 (3rd Movement) - F. Seitz
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
I just realized something: I have 2 (two) DCBackup Folders! I guess the second one is for extra space if the first is filled up. I think this because I have never seen anything in it accept for the first time I emptied the folder and there were a million files in there!

Offline LlamaMama

• Watcher
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 01:35:47 PM »
Howly (Holy) cow - the ARM is back!  I have missed seeing your avatar Leto.  Glad you finally found it.

Yay! Leto, you Da Arm!!!
I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension. -- Steven Wright

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die,
your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. -- George Carlin

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Leto85

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 02:03:01 PM »
Leto, I love your expressions! I will enjoy saying "howly cow" even more than "holy cow". :)

Haha, what exactly is the difference between 'owly' and 'holy'? Or was it just me, spelling the word wrong?

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »
Haha, what exactly is the difference between 'howly' and 'holy'? Or was it just me, spelling the word wrong?

Leto, I think it was just you accidentally adding the 'w' by mistake as 'howly' is not a word in the English language.  ;)  Anyway, if it was a word, then both would be pronounced different here in the states.  The 'o' is a tricky vowel.
The 'How' part of your word Howly is a word of its own as you probably know.  'How' is an adverb with the 'ow' pronounced like the 'ow' in the word 'owl'.   Another thing to note is that 'Howl' is also a word when used as a verb.  It is the sound a dog or wolf makes when whining or singing to the moon.  Therefore your 'howly cow' could also be interpreted as a cow that sings to the moon ;D
'Holy' on the other hand  is both an adjective and a noun pronounced as' hō.lee' with a long 'o' as in open (ō.pen).  This word means consecrated, saintly, sacred.   
Our language is very confusing but I hope this helped.

Andrew

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
If you are on a MAC then you have something totally different. 

It's the same on macintosh.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 06:36:55 PM »
Thanks Andrew.  Are the Sims 3 folders located the same way? 
On a PC they are 'under your name > Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3' .   Finding the folders is what I meant as having something totally different.  Perhaps I should have worded it another way.

Andrew

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
The path is for macintosh is Macintosh HD - Users - username - Documents - Electronic Arts - The Sims 3 . HD stands for hard drive, so it's the same path.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 07:59:01 PM »
The path is for macintosh is Macintosh HD - Users - username - Documents - Electronic Arts - The Sims 3 . HD stands for hard drive, so it's the same path.

Thanks Andrew.  I stand corrected.  :-[

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 08:00:50 PM »
Howly (Holy) cow - the ARM is back!  I have missed seeing your avatar Leto.  Glad you finally found it.

Yep, glad to have the arm back Leto.  

I have gotten into the habit of cleaning everything I can from my folders and it has seemed to help some.  I can't stand it when they walk and stop, walk and stop.  It really is annoying, but after cleaning and doing regular maintenance, seems to work, plus, think I will splurge and get a new video card.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Read forum rules
Riches to Rags

Leto85

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2010, 04:45:12 PM »
Leto, I think it was just you accidentally adding the 'w' by mistake as 'howly' is not a word in the English language.  ;)  Anyway, if it was a word, then both would be pronounced different here in the states.  The 'o' is a tricky vowel.
The 'How' part of your word Howly is a word of its own as you probably know.  'How' is an adverb with the 'ow' pronounced like the 'ow' in the word 'owl'.   Another thing to note is that 'Howl' is also a word when used as a verb.  It is the sound a dog or wolf makes when whining or singing to the moon.  Therefore your 'howly cow' could also be interpreted as a cow that sings to the moon ;D
'Holy' on the other hand  is both an adjective and a noun pronounced as' hō.lee' with a long 'o' as in open (ō.pen).  This word means consecrated, saintly, sacred.   
Our language is very confusing but I hope this helped.

You're a smart person. That's what you are. I can only say that I understand just parts of it, as grammatic isn't my stronges point when it comes to whatever languages I am communicating in.
I really have respect for you Mtglady: you seems to know a lot of grammatic and computers. I know almost no woman of your age who knows that kind of stuff. ;)

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 08:08:45 PM »
You're a smart person. That's what you are. I can only say that I understand just parts of it, as grammar isn't my strongest point when it comes to whatever languages I am communicating in.
I really have respect for you Mtglady: you seems to know a lot of grammar and computers. I know almost no woman of your age who knows that kind of stuff. ;)

A woman of my age hmm :-\ - I don't know if I should feel flattered or not - lol  ;D!   
You are the smart one Leto.  I don't think I could learn to communicate as well as you in another language or languages. 
Just keep your 'ARM' on the forum and Happy Simming!

Monique

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 12:03:41 PM »
Does anyone know if or where characters' photos taken with cameras or their phones get stored?  Are they separate files?
Thinking these might be slowing things down, too.

Monique

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 03:13:53 PM »
Also, I decided to clear the DCBackup files:  but I don't have one!  I had Windows search, and there is no such file in my Sims 3 files, nor is there a DCCache.  Anybody know what's up with that?  Totally confused about what to do now.  I've got Windows Vista.

Offline malteser60

• Occult
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
Does anyone know if or where characters' photos taken with cameras or their phones get stored?  Are they separate files?
Thinking these might be slowing things down, too.

They're stored in your My Documents (or Libraries/Documents/My Documents if you're using Windows 7)>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3>Screenshots.

If you take videos they're stored under Recorded Videos.

Offline malteser60

• Occult
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
Also, I decided to clear the DCBackup files:  but I don't have one!  I had Windows search, and there is no such file in my Sims 3 files, nor is there a DCCache.  Anybody know what's up with that?  Totally confused about what to do now.  I've got Windows Vista.

The DCBackup is also under the My Documents... folders. Instead of screenshots there should be a folder called DCBackup. If it's not there then something's gone seriously wrong and your best bet is to re-install everything. There are some helpful threads in this section that explains it all.

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 01:44:54 AM »
For Vista you should look under C:\Users\your name\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Screenshots.  Your screenshots will all appear here.  

Every simpack you install with the launcher puts a backup file in your DCBackup folder, so if you have not used the launcher to download anything then you will not have that folder.  That file is found here: C:\Users\your name\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCBackup.  You can delete the items in this folder with no harm if you find your game is slowing down.  Do not delete the DCCache if you have it.  

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 02:05:23 PM »
Just realised that I had over 266 Items in my DCBackup! I obviously don't clear it out as often as I thought!  ;)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Frey

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2011, 02:31:39 PM »
I've found out I can really help my computer run the game much easier by shutting down every possible program or process. That includes antivirus too. Anyway, that obviously depends on how risky it is for you to turn your antivirus off, and that you should be offline while playing. Hope that helps if you don't think it's too dangerous for your computer.

And I'm trying PJ's advise right now so we'll see how that goes  :D. My Dynasty is running more slowly every day, so everything helps.

Offline Beddy_Boop

• Townie
  • Concerto No. 2 (3rd Movement) - F. Seitz
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 03:27:55 PM »
I'm not sure if I should put this here or make a new thread but here it goes:
Is it safe to delete these files: C:\Users\laptop\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves
There seems to be all the families I've made since the game started...  :\

Offline mtglady

• Global Moderator
  • Immortal
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »
I'm not sure if I should put this here or make a new thread but here it goes:
Is it safe to delete these files: C:\Users\laptop\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves
There seems to be all the families I've made since the game started...  :\

You can delete the items in that folder but first copy that file to somewhere else on your desktop, to a flash drive, external hard drive or something so that you will not lose those games if you wish to play them again.

Too many saves in that folder will slow your game down.  I generally move my older saves to my external hard drive and just keep the two most recent saves in that file. 

anything