Author Topic: The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge  (Read 650981 times)

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
Re: The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge
« Reply #1845 on: July 23, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »
A quick question (search isn't finding anything on this) ... does daycare count as a valid career for the heir since it is only 5 levels?
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #1846 on: July 23, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
A quick question (search isn't finding anything on this) ... does daycare count as a valid career for the heir since it is only 5 levels?
It's legit.  I have an heir doing that as his career right now.  It's only 5 levels because it would get way too overwhelming if it went all the way to 10.  There's a really nice write-up about the day care career on the forum.  You should check it out if you haven't already.  It stars Stevie Wonder, so you know it's gotta be good!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #1847 on: July 23, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »
Ah good.  I was looking at the options I have left and I think I may give it a shot.  I have done the career before several times in other games, I just hadn't thought about doing it in the challenge until now.  I love playing with the toddlers so it might be fun.

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
« Reply #1848 on: July 24, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
I've been trying to do this challenge, it seems to be a very long one but it sounds really exceting! After a couple of bad attempts I finally had everything going on fine. Problem is the sims that started, the townies, went to elder status when the heir was a child, and afraid what would happen if they both died the founder asked a sim to move in, he just happened to be there at the lot, but now that he is part of the household I realized he doesn't have any traits, none! What can I do?

The other thing is the thombstone, now the parents of the heir both died, it looks like a box what was left behind when they died, but when I placed it in the inventory it looks flat, if I place it back on the floor it's squared, is it ok or should my heir find someone else to move in with him?
ĄPura vida!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #1849 on: July 24, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »
If the tombstone looks like this,

you're in good shape.  If it is the squared off thing that lays flat to the ground, that's the wrong one.  Does that help?

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #1850 on: July 24, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »
To answer your question about your traitless new household member, you can either save up the LTHP to give him a mid-life crisis and a new set of traits, or if you have University Life, you can spend 6,500 simoleons on a brain-enhancing machine and do some personality programming on him to give him some traits.

If your only tombstones are the small tombstones, then yes, you will need someone else to provide them.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #1851 on: July 24, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »
It takes 75,000 lifetime happiness points to get the medium tombstone and 150,000 lifetime happiness points to get the large tombstone.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Shirin

• Watcher
« Reply #1852 on: July 24, 2013, 09:42:45 PM »
The small plaque tombstone is that way outdoors, indoors it looks like a grey metal box (the other indoor marker is a white and gold round urn). So unfortunately to echo what the others said, that box/plaque is insufficient for the purposes of the generation.

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
« Reply #1853 on: July 26, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
Thank you all for the help!

I went to the cemetery to see the different tombstones, and if they are lifetime happiness-related then that's it.

Now I have another question for I feel there are two roads for me to follow, is it considered cheating if I save the game with a different name? It is not really  leaving the game without saving, but could be counted as that...
ĄPura vida!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #1854 on: July 26, 2013, 11:48:25 AM »
Not sure why you're talking about a save with a different name, so I'll answer this two ways.
1.  Sometimes, saving with a different name has helped me avoid glitching, but then I delete the previous save.  That is fine and dandy.
2.  If you're thinking of saving a different name, trying something to see if it works, and then going back to the original if things go badly, that would not really be in the spirit of the challenge. 
Hope that helps.

Offline bubbles

• Dynasty Novice
  • Watcher
« Reply #1855 on: July 26, 2013, 11:48:49 AM »
Do you mean using "Save as" instead of "Save" or "Save and Quit"? Save as has never been banned and is recommended from time-to-time to help prevent error 12.
Bubbles's Workshop
Friends are like potatoes; if you eat them, they die. My friends friend.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #1856 on: July 26, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
It's perfectly fine to use Save As to make a different save. I almost always use Save As and accumulate gigabytes worth of backups in the process. Just don't use one of the backups to go back just because something unfortunate happened, such as a meteor, fire, burglary, or a gameplay-related mistake that failed your dynasty. Backups are for returning to when bugs hit and little else.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Tandrael

• Townie
« Reply #1857 on: July 26, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »
When the heir was a child and both his parents elders, I thought about saving the file in a different name just in case both parents died and I wasn't sure I could keep playing with just one child, I was afraid to get some sort of "game over" notification (LOL), so I could have another game to go back to. I didn't dare to see what could happen, so I asked someone to move in. I was just wondering if I could have done it.

As in saving to avoid problems such as error code 12 and glitches... I've never done it but I've had that error 12 notification before and just deleted that file. Thanks so much for the advise! I should do that more often!
ĄPura vida!

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #1858 on: July 26, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »
Thank you all for the help!

I went to the cemetery to see the different tombstones, and if they are lifetime happiness-related then that's it.

Now I have another question for I feel there are two roads for me to follow, is it considered cheating if I save the game with a different name? It is not really  leaving the game without saving, but could be counted as that...

When the heir was a child and both his parents elders, I thought about saving the file in a different name just in case both parents died and I wasn't sure I could keep playing with just one child, I was afraid to get some sort of "game over" notification (LOL), so I could have another game to go back to. I didn't dare to see what could happen, so I asked someone to move in. I was just wondering if I could have done it.

As in saving to avoid problems such as error code 12 and glitches... I've never done it but I've had that error 12 notification before and just deleted that file. Thanks so much for the advise! I should do that more often!

You are aware that once the heir is born then the founders or previous heir is not tied down to any age restrictions. This means you could have used any anti aging tricks. In fact founders can use anti aging tricks right from the beginning.

Rachel

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Lady Orc

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #1859 on: July 27, 2013, 05:57:38 AM »
Hello, I've recently restarted this challenge and would like to ask some questions about the new rules and also ask for a bit of advice.  :)

First question: My Gen 1 heir took a trip to Egypt. She booked a 3-day trip but went home after 2 days. Do I count that as the 2 days she actually spent, or the 3 days she booked?

Second question: While in Egypt, I did the allowed adventures. I did only onestep adventures (such as go to tomb X and get me treasure Y.) How does one count multistep adventures (Such as Report to Person X, Get gems for Person X, Search tomb for treasure)? Does each step count as an opportunity, or is it the full chain that counts as an opportunity?

Third question: For Gen 2, I'm weighing my options about careers. In the Private Eye career, do cases count as opportunities? My other option is Singer combined with Guitar, but I'm worried about that since the Guitar challenge is apparently hard and I've never tried supermaxing it. Do the more experienced players around here think it's possible within the confines of this challenge?