Author Topic: The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge  (Read 366494 times)

Offline susiecue

• Nooboo
Re: The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge
« Reply #2125 on: January 04, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
While I can see your point, I'd argue that it's much closer to players being allowed to clone and place the Nectary, Scholar's Garden, etc. to have a convenient source of skilling objects that you're not really supposed to have without traveling.

I compromised by setting my seasons to 9/7/7/7 - so that I got the first heir to have the childhood holiday on Saturdays (I think the first heir is probably the hardest) but still get some consistency.  I have most weather turned off for performance reasons (since I'm playing on a tablet) so at least don't have to deal with snow days.

I will probably start posting my Dynasty once the heir makes it to young adulthood.  I am not a very good storyteller though so it would be pretty bare bones.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
« Reply #2126 on: January 04, 2016, 02:39:41 PM »
While I can see your point, I'd argue that it's much closer to players being allowed to clone and place the Nectary, Scholar's Garden, etc. to have a convenient source of skilling objects that you're not really supposed to have without traveling.

I compromised by setting my seasons to 9/7/7/7 - so that I got the first heir to have the childhood holiday on Saturdays (I think the first heir is probably the hardest) but still get some consistency.  I have most weather turned off for performance reasons (since I'm playing on a tablet) so at least don't have to deal with snow days.

I will probably start posting my Dynasty once the heir makes it to young adulthood.  I am not a very good storyteller though so it would be pretty bare bones.
Fair enough.  Like I said, I'm not in any way, shape, or form a moderator and would never pretend to speak for them, I just imagine it would be where the logic would fall as I read and interpret the rules and discussions.  Never hurts to ask, though.
I look forward to following your story.  I enjoy spinning a story with them, but I also really enjoy the "here's what happened" accounts.  I don't think everything needs to turn into a story.  I end up writing that way, but that's just me.  You write as just you and we'll enjoy and appreciate your unique voice  :=)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #2127 on: January 04, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »
Mine are only stories if you put quotes around the word. I hope you do post as I enjoy reading anyone's efforts with TS3. I realized why getting on the honor roll is easier for my sims. I always put a little sun from the dancing sunflowers in their inventory (except for evil sims). It improves their mood a bunch.

Offline susiecue

• Nooboo
« Reply #2128 on: January 07, 2016, 12:13:56 AM »
I almost made it, but have had to restart again.  I thought I would fail due to lack of tombstone, but Gracie managed to die again of old age while I was still waiting for the much older Benjamin to kick the bucket.  (She had found a death flower without my knowledge, escaping her first death.)  Benjamin lived to the ripe old age of 125 - and died just 2 days before his son would have aged up.

Where I failed was in choosing Angler as a career with Seasons installed.  Too much cold weather really limited how many death fish the heir could catch and he only made it to level 9.

So, I give up on Seasons and am playing without it this time.  Hopefully I won't lose too many good items.  I don't think it introduced any careers.

I will post the new story - though it may not be as eventful as the last run through.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #2129 on: January 07, 2016, 08:16:37 AM »
I almost made it, but have had to restart again.  I thought I would fail due to lack of tombstone, but Gracie managed to die again of old age while I was still waiting for the much older Benjamin to kick the bucket.  (She had found a death flower without my knowledge, escaping her first death.)  Benjamin lived to the ripe old age of 125 - and died just 2 days before his son would have aged up.

Where I failed was in choosing Angler as a career with Seasons installed.  Too much cold weather really limited how many death fish the heir could catch and he only made it to level 9.

So, I give up on Seasons and am playing without it this time.  Hopefully I won't lose too many good items.  I don't think it introduced any careers.

I will post the new story - though it may not be as eventful as the last run through.
Oh no!  So sorry to hear you got that close only to have things fall apart.  The good thing I've found about that, having failed in multiple dynasty attempts, is that each new start holds better insight and a clearer plan.
Looking forward to seeing your next effort!

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #2130 on: March 09, 2016, 07:58:06 AM »
I am almost done with my dynasty.  The 10th heir is a child.  Every since this last move, I have been experiencing hard crashes that shut down my computer.  I did some research and turned on vsync in my graphic card settings.  I played again, and it took longer, but still after about 45 minutes of play, my computer shut down.  I am kind of scared to play it because I don't want to do any damage to my video card.  Does anyone know what I could do to fix this?

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #2131 on: March 09, 2016, 08:31:09 AM »
@christinal3106: I know it doesn't sound helpful to say "post your issue in the Technical Help board", but it sounds like it could be an issue with the card itself.

In the mean time, maybe lower the game's settings?
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / DecaDynasty / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #2132 on: March 09, 2016, 01:54:09 PM »
I'll try lowering the graphic settings.

Offline christinal3106

• Occult
« Reply #2133 on: March 20, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »
Sorry to double-post, but it has been several days.  I finished my decadynasty.  I am about to update my "story."

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #2134 on: March 20, 2016, 12:29:40 PM »
Wonderful job! Remember to send me and the rest of The Team your final time, collection value, picture of your last collection + heir, and what you liked the best and found most difficult.

You know, Hall of Fame stuff. ;)

Offline CeresIn

• Occult
  • Sims 3 addict.
« Reply #2135 on: May 15, 2016, 11:15:40 AM »
Two questions:

1) Do the rocks/metals for use in the collections have to to be in their original form? Or Can they be cut/melt?

2) I started my dynasty in my old laptop without installing most of the expansions for permonce purpose and I know I cannot install them on my new pc. But it's the same for stuff packs and store content? This last question is entirely for shallow purposes, I'm tired of the lack of variety of clothes and hairstyles but but I can live without it.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #2136 on: May 16, 2016, 08:42:13 PM »
@CeresIn:

1. However you want them. ;)

2. Store content can come and go as you please. As for stuff packs, I don't see an issue with it because they don't offer much in terms of new gameplay. Just...stuff. :P Heck, you get more new gameplay out of Store items.

Offline CeresIn

• Occult
  • Sims 3 addict.
« Reply #2137 on: May 17, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
Thank you, Trip. I was tired of seeing the few hairstyles, especially for men.

Offline Shmeggo

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2138 on: June 02, 2016, 03:38:31 PM »
I really loved playing The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge. It was one of my favorite challenges created for The Sims 3! I was wondering if there will be a Townie DecaDynasty Challenge created for The Sims 4 in the future.

I hope I'm posting my question in the right thread, but I wasn't sure of another location that would be more appropriate. My apologies if I've posted in the wrong place!

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #2139 on: June 02, 2016, 07:19:16 PM »
@Shmeggo: Glad you enjoyed it! As far as I'm concerned, there's none in the works so far for TS4, and it'd be...interesting to port over to that game because of how differently worlds are handled.

Offline Shmeggo

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2140 on: June 02, 2016, 11:40:23 PM »
That's true. The Sims 4 is such a different breed from The Sims 3, especially in the way that the worlds function. It would be quite the transition.

Thank you for answering my question, Trip!

Offline daydreamer

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2141 on: August 09, 2016, 05:26:57 PM »
I'm not sure whether it's still acceptable to ask questions here or not. I figure it can't hurt to try, as I don't see another option. If it's not the place, I'll delete it.

So, I'm trying to do this exactly by the rules. I'm starting in Riverview. The Cannery (where the festival grounds are located when I start up) is (Im pretty sure) on the list of places we can change the type of lot to (hangout, big park, etc). My question is, am i right in assuming I can add one of the other, bigger festival grounds on a 64x64 somewhere else? I just want to be positive before I really get into this. I'd hate for that to have been the thing to mess me up if I actually wind up completing this.

Offline Deklitch

• Nemesis of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Iceland has over 50 words for snow!
« Reply #2142 on: August 09, 2016, 06:00:06 PM »
Hi Daydreamer,

Questions still get answered here, and this is the correct place to ask questions about the Sims 3 Townie Decadynasty Challenge.

When I had Seasons installed, the Cannery (or what it used to be called) automatically became the festival grounds for Riverview. I never tried to do what you're suggesting, because I really never went to the festivals. I'll put a call out to @Trip so she can come by to give you a yes/no answer on that.

I always played it safe and left those alone, I liked to bring in the movies backlot from Late Night and/or the nectary from World Adventures - France into challenges where I didn't have to use a large lot for my sim's house.

Offline daydreamer

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2143 on: August 09, 2016, 06:21:51 PM »
Thank you. :) That is probably a more useful approach than placing a giant festival lot, but it has just become something I do, haha. If it does somehow go against the spirit of things, I'll just start fresh with something new.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shady eyes* Not me.
« Reply #2144 on: August 09, 2016, 06:32:32 PM »
If I remember correctly from being the mod on this,  the only time you were allowed to add an additional festival grounds was when the town didn't automatically have one.   Check the separate thread for dynasty edit town faq.
Origin ID: Ricalynn
Current Active Stories: Artie's TS4 Dynasty || Grim Rivalries

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious

Offline daydreamer

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2145 on: August 09, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »
I read the FAQ again. While I don't see anything against it, I'm not really interested in causing a big fuss. Im on week 1, it isn't really a big loss to begin again. I want my challenge to be by the rules. Thanks.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #2146 on: August 09, 2016, 07:19:55 PM »
@daydreamer: Sorry for any ambiguity the rules have, but I'm ruling to leave The Cannery alone. The lots that are allowed to have their Lot Type changed are (at least almost always) originally Small Parks or "Visitors Allowed" lots. Allowing players to do that to Festival Lots, even if they're allowed to be changed otherwise, is just too much of a deviation from the original purpose of the rule.

Hopefully it won't be much of a problem in your strategy. Good luck!

Offline daydreamer

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2147 on: August 09, 2016, 07:28:19 PM »
@Trip It's okay, thank you all for the quick replies. After I read the FAQ again, I realized the reasons for being able to change the lot type of that specific lot before aren't really applicable anymore. I'm just glad I could get a firm answer on the question.

Offline Trip

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Deep fried since 1994
« Reply #2148 on: October 09, 2016, 11:45:47 PM »
Rule Changes: 10/9/2016

The rule about adding Book Corrals to libraries via Edit Town has become more general:

If your town library is missing the skill books, you may use Edit Town to place Book Corrals in the library.

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #2149 on: December 05, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »
An odd problem has occurred in my game.  I had deleted out a bunch of CC and downloads to make my game run more smoothly.  When I tried to open my file after this, the town I was playing in (Dragon Valley) had uninstalled for some reason.  I reinstalled it and continued playing, though the townies' outfits didn't reset and buildings were just labeled as "community lot," but I figured it'd still work just fine.  However, when my heir became a child and was to attend school, I realized the true issue:  the school had completely disappeared.  Can I go ahead and use edit town to place a school?  Of course, even if I do, I'm not sure she'll make honor roll as she aged up on a Wednesday (so no school), had no school on Thursday with the holiday, and it's already partway through the school day on Friday as I realized she'd never left for school.  That gives us the weekend and then just Monday and Tuesday.  Hopefully, being at A status for part of Friday and then the other two actual school days would do it. 
So, can I use edit town in this case?  If not, at least I'll restart without being that far into the challenge.