Author Topic: Daycare - first impressions  (Read 31333 times)

Offline m.sato

• Llama Wrangler
Daycare - first impressions
« on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:01 AM »
Greetings folks!

First of all let me say that, I'm a unusual kind of player, who's always been a fan of little sims. In fact, most of my sims life spams are a huge preparation for offspring, therefore I was quite excited for the new daycare career, picturing the time spent with the little ones playing and teaching them, as well as the huge tips and enhanced relationships with the parents for teaching their little treasures to walk or instructing them till honor list.

Then came reality...

I've made a new sim with family oriented and the new nurturing trait and started a daycare right away, assembling a decent kitchen, purchasing an activity table and a potty seat, figuring that as money flowed I'd better equip the nursery and the rest of the place.

Receive two toddlers at first , to take care from 9am to 7pm, however they do not behave as ordinary ones.

A message board appears every time the cursor is over the kid, with messages as "Jane Do is a bit smelly/is very smelly", "John Do would care for a snack/is really hungry" (I don't know how is the actual message in English, since I play a translated version) and these needs are constant. While caring for your own child, it's necessary to change dippers once, twice a day, daycare toddlers require up to 5 changes a day and multiple bottles during the work hours (notice: 9am to 7pm = 10 out of 24 hours). In the first carrier levels it's possible to read 1/10 of a book between suppling the kid's needs, but when you got 4 toddler in the house, as soon as you finish feeding the last one the first is already crying for a change of dipper or some attention, even worse when you get children around, but I'll get to that.

Another very frustrating issue is that differentiated care doesn't seen to matter at all. Feeding a toddler with ambrosia in the high chair (yes, I needed cheating to do it) doesn't seen to make any difference than giving a bottle on the floor; potty training or finish reading a skill book doesn't do anything for your performance or payment, in fact, kids don't seen to increase any skills AT ALL while in daycare, even if they spend the entire day playing with the xylophone.

After a few promotions children start coming to your house after school. By that time 4 toddlers are already in and you have only 4 work hours left, meaning you can only tell the children to do their homework - which must be made individually - and serve a group meal, which your sim most likely won't share, since he or she still have to take care for the toddlers.

As a result, the chance of having good evaluations by all your clients' parents is about the same as wining the lottery and been struck by a lighting 12 times - in the same day -. Since you are two busy with the toddlers, if the children feel lonely or need to have fun you can only pray they can handle themselves on their own.

At the top levels of the carrier your sim will get a "problem child" (not accurate - translated version...) who will:

1. arrive;
2. break something;
3. break something else;
4. do the homework if commanded to;
5. break yet another thing;
6. have a meal when called to;
7. break wherever is left if there's a spare time.

Two special interactions are available with the problem child - reprehend and talk about problems (accuracy, translated...) -  at a certain point I gave up all other kids and focused on this one, after that, she arrived, broke something, broke something else...

The interaction "stop doing that" (acc... you know it!) don't work by what it seen to be a bug: my sim waited for the child to finish breaking the object and just then told her to stop. Not exactly efficient.

The career is half short compared to full times jobs, which at first I thought great, since it takes forever to reach the top of ambitions professions, but then I realized the week payment stops raising at puny $500. You can imagine the happy smile on my face.

By the end, my sim wakes up at 6 am, have breakfast, shower and goes on working till 7pm, by then she has the children's leftover, fixes the objects broken by the 40 inches Satan, cleans up the house - can't spend or repairmen or cleaning ladies if I'll ever build a bedroom for her own child - and goes to bed at about 1am for a half night of sleep, possibly with the stir crazy moodlet if it's the end of the week.

The only good thing I saw on this career is that the celebrity, super friendly and everyones' best friend charisma challenges are achieved  nearly automatic, and when the daycare owner has his own children, they can make tons of friends, possibly completing the super popular lifetime wish in the first ten days, with normal life spam.

However, all considering, it makes me disappointed to see that EA really messed up this career, not by limitations of the own game - the resources are all there waiting to be put to use -, but by what it seems to me like a hush to release a new product, without the proper thought and dedication it required.

At last, I must highlight that, as this topic tittle states, those are first impressions. Perhaps there's more to this career to be known, a better way to do things, surprises not yet enlighten, full of joy, hope and a stunning pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

But I'm not counting on it.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Daycare - first impressions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 01:59:39 AM »
Welcome to our Forum, m.sato.

Thanks for writing about the new Day Care profession.  I've been very curious about it personally because I love the Sims toddlers.  It will be interesting to see if we can figure out better ways to take care of the children.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 02:02:30 AM »
I was wondering myself about the daycare.  Sounds like a handful, but I am sure, just like other professions, eventually it will get better.  Will just have to wait and see.  I am looking forward to stopping and getting this game after work today and trying all of these new things. :)

Welcome to the forum m.sato.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 04:20:58 AM »
Will this is a tad disappointing. I suppose not every wonderful new feature will turn out as hoped, but still, you'd think EA could have play tested it at least.

CandyHeartedSim

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:32:45 AM »
Great post. I won't be getting Generations for sometime *Cry Cry*, But when it does arrive, I'll be sure to check out this profession.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:26:30 AM »
Even though most of the review is disappointing, I can see definite highlights. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forums, M.Sato!
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »
I think I might actually be looking forward to this Daycare Profession, perhaps I might create an LOL story out of it. I like the naughtiness of the toddlers too that come with the daycare profession. I've been waiting for my toddlers to get into trouble for a very long time.  :D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline accioxheart

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 05:49:30 AM »
Aw. I'm sad you don't like it. You get 3 of 4 days off so my sim hasn't gotten the stir crazy moodlet. I'm only up to 3 toddlers... but they're fairly easy. I made sure to have a play house only so that when they play they are getting social interactions as well. I'd say cut the amount of bottles you're feeding them. I limit to two bottles per each toddler. I've managed to teach one of the little toddler's potty training and talking. One of them learned to talk. The third one is the newest but she is coming along fairly well too.. I'm sure that problem child will drive me crazy but my sim is already good friends with all the toddlers. I find it really entertaining. If you've ever actually worked in daycare, like not in the sims, you'd realize how real to life that is. With four toddlers and four kids, you always have to scramble. It did take me three days to teach the two toddlers to talk but I feel like that's realistic... Anyways, I like it so far. Maybe i'll feel differently the further into the career I get. (the money thing is ridiculous though, agreed)

crazilazigurl

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 11:17:16 PM »
Hey! I'm just starting out the faucet tonight. Hopefully, I can manage!

Sorry to hear about your experience. So far, I've had 2 toddlers and the day ended up great.

Can't wait to get higher in the career!!

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:47:02 AM »
I have a question: How do you join the Daycare Career?
I really want to try this career!
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

crazilazigurl

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:53 AM »

I did it by reading the newspaper, under jobs and professions.

I've had a great experience so far. Have three toddlers, I'm at career level 3, and even got a $36,000 tip from one of the parents (I taught the toddler how to walk and talk, and he left feeling great)

I don't know about you guys, but I love this profession!! :)

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 02:59:24 AM »
I did it by reading the newspaper, under jobs and professions.

I've had a great experience so far. Have three toddlers, I'm at career level 3, and even got a $36,000 tip from one of the parents (I taught the toddler how to walk and talk, and he left feeling great)

I don't know about you guys, but I love this profession!! :)
Thanks!

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 05:36:34 AM »
I know I ended up with a little monster, wow, m.sato was right.  He broke everything, talking and scolding didn't work, so he just kept breaking everything.  The toddlers were great, I got three to start and then you get three youths after school.  Thank heavens my sims twin teen daughters help when they get home from school and the husband is an astronaut, so he is home quite a bit.  These kids are handfuls, but just make sure they have plenty to do and the youths love the tv. :)

Offline malteser60

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 06:57:52 AM »
Hmm, the problem kid that breaks everything and no amount of talking and scolding works... sounds too close to real life!  :)

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »
I haven't dealt with the breaking things yet, but I'm hoping to do so later. However, one of my parents, wouldn't leave the daycare and only used my daycare program, so she can use my water slide. Even though she was at my house the whole time, she got in trouble for not picking her kid up on time.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »
I know I ended up with a little monster, wow, m.sato was right.  He broke everything, talking and scolding didn't work, so he just kept breaking everything.  The toddlers were great, I got three to start and then you get three youths after school.  Thank heavens my sims twin teen daughters help when they get home from school and the husband is an astronaut, so he is home quite a bit.  These kids are handfuls, but just make sure they have plenty to do and the youths love the tv. :)

I'm afraid I'd have to use the age up cheat and send the kid home as a teenager.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 06:00:33 PM »
I'm enjoying the Daycare career myself. I'm taking notes for a Guide article as Stevie Wonder works his way up to the top. Someone mentioned they got an enormous tip from a parent for teaching their child some skills. That's certainly an incentive, but I'm wondering — when? Where does a 5 or 6 hour block of time materialize to do that? Stevie's got 4 kids at the moment and it's pretty much a assembly line of moving from one child to the next all day long.

Also, it's all toddlers for Stevie. It would be nice if there were a little more variety in age groups, but maybe that will happen now that he cracked lvl 4. There's just 5 levels, right? Not 10?

Offline Justwright

• Townie
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 07:54:05 PM »
Really? Only 5 levels?  Then my game wasn't glitched.  I could not move past lvl 5, even using a cheat.  Now I feel silly  :D

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
I noticed something odd about a SP toddler that my sim has been babysitting.
Every day, he is dropped off and picked up by a sim who does not share his last name. I can't find his household anywhere else in town.
Explanations? :-\
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 01:04:22 AM »
Every day, he is dropped off and picked up by a sim who does not share his last name. I can't find his household anywhere else in town.
Maybe it's a homeless family?? I'm not sure as I haven't played a daycare sim before.

Offline Dreamweaver

• Occult
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 02:10:40 AM »
My theory is the game is creating toddlers just for daycare. I'm on level five and raised alot of kids who I never see in town again.
I also got the super spiffy daycare van :P My way for dealing with the probelm child is simple. Upgrade items to unbreakable or lock the breakable items in a room. The best chance at the big bonus is weekends. The parent will call and ask you to care for the child on your day off. With only one toddler in the house, it's easy to teach them skills and hopefully get that big tip.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 02:37:09 AM »
Guess I forgot to add something. :-[
Every day, he is dropped off and picked up by a different sim who does not share his last name.
Once they pick him up/drop him off, I never see them again.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 07:50:13 AM »
I have only seen one or two I had not seen before, but for the most part, they are sims from the neighborhood.  Of course, after they age up and there is less and less toddlers and youths, then I guess the game regenerates new ones for the purpose of daycare. :)

Offline m.sato

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 08:05:10 AM »
Actually, as most towns don't have a thousand of toddlers and children the game creates some, who are meant to be children of NPCs, but it doesn't always work.

In fact, you'll realize that most of the children when age up and leave daycare simple disappear! They still remain as a relationship of your sim, but you won't be able to find them anywhere in town!

By the way, the devil's offspring has the superpower to break unbreakable stuff.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 08:42:12 AM »

Newspaper or Computer > Jobs and Profesions > Find a Profession

Would hanging Masterpieces around the daycare center affect the kid's moods? I really don't know if they'd be influenced by environmental stuff or not. The kids that are spawned for daycare are clearly cut from a different cloth as they never get tired, so I just don't know what kind of moodlets they might get.

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »
If you have a problem child, can you just tell the parents you want to terminate the daycare for that kid?

Offline m.sato

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »
Problem children are part of the job at level 5, you can't get rid of them.

I've just cured a problem child. A message appeared at the end of the work day saying he's been cured and another the next morning with a thanks from the parent , as well as a $1,000 tip, but in that very same day a different problem child came after school.

By the way, I have no idea how I cured him. I didn't reprehend, didn't talk about problems, in fact I gave that child no special attention.

I'm looking forward for Carl's guide on this job, I'm more lost then a blind monkey in a wild west shooting.

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »
If they keep spawning problem kids, I'm not sure I want to try that profession. I have very little patience with screaming kids. Maybe I'll send mine to boarding school. LOL!

crazilazigurl

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
I'm looking forward for Carl's guide on this job, I'm more lost then a blind monkey in a wild west shooting.

:D That's hilarious, m. sato!

I haven't cured a problem child yet. But, I just have tons of stuff for them to do, like trampoline, video games, jungle gym, tree house, and toy chest. They were pretty happy. :)

Offline TrickStar

• Nooboo
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 02:06:20 PM »
After reading m.sato's adventures I'm very glad I decided to save daycare for a later time. Pretty sure my keyboard would have some teethmarks if I had his hellspawn child in my house.  ;D

SweetSimmies

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
Well I am new here and I got Generations today. The daycare looked cool so I had my sim, Violet, start her buisness. Her husband, Oliver, is a painter and so he is always home and willing to help Violet with the little munchkins who go to daycare.

It isn't too hard to get the toddlers in a good mood but when my three kids arrive, I have like zero time for them. (I am lvl 5 in the career.) The problem child is driving me nuts. I admonish the kid and talk about problems but nothing is working. : / Hopefully you guys can help me figure this out.

Thanks!

paperangel

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 02:57:47 AM »
I haven't reached the top in this career yet because my sim wanted to quit and have more babies. I wish I'd kept with it though, since she was level four when I let her quit. Anyway, she's one I've had for a while and had a maxed out cooking skill, thanks in part to being a natural cook, and I used the LTR mid-life crisis to give her the nurturing trait. She had absolutely no trouble with the toddlers. I had her make pancakes in the morning before they showed up and used the food processor to feed them right when they got there, and they were rarely hungry after that. She potty trained both of the first two she'd gotten and taught one of them to talk before getting to level two and recieving her third charge, and by the time she reached level four they were all walking and talking and I was having her read them skill books. Really it's all about how close you are with the kids. Reading to them and teaching them the things that they need to learn boost the level alot. Plus, once they learn to use the potty you don't have to run arround changing them all the time! ;)

Oh, and by the way, I never got a toddler who didn't live somewhere in the neighbourhood. I wonder if it's a glitch.

Annother side note  ::) I didn't notice the LTR super nanny until my sim had quit, but I bet it helps alot too!

SweetSimmies

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 11:08:22 AM »
Well Violet has had a baby and so she is on maternity leave. The kids have all grown up into teenagers so they aren't coming to the daycare anymore. Not sure if I will get new kids or not. Only time will tell. :)

secretsim

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »
I like the daycare profession more than I thought I would but I wish it wouldn't give sims so much time off. My Sim got 10 or 11 days off when she got married and had a kid in short order. So I guess some time to get married (why?!) and maternity leave. It would've been nice for her to be making some money for those ten days.

SweetSimmies

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »
I guess that is the new thing. Like when you get married they give you time off. Which doesn't help when your trying to make money. Wish they didn't do that.

paperangel

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
I wish it was optional, so your career oriented or poor sims can go to work and your wealthier sims or sims that live at home with mom and dad can have a nice honeymoon.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 07:51:38 AM »
I've had Generations basically since it came out I think, but haven't properly played the daycare profession until now. My sim (ok, me) is really enjoying it. A few store items make this career MUCH easier. The playpen is alright, but I still like the good old baby swing. Basically, my sim and her hubby to help, run around feeding and changing nappies. My sim tells a fairytale, which increases fun VERY quickly, and then they feed and change some more, until toddlers begin to go into the pink. As each toddler has a great mood, they are popped into a swing on slow speed, and pretty much left there for the rest of the day. One toddler stays out and my sim focuses on teaching her toddler skills. To get to the top faster, she gobbles down some perfect basil and gulps down a liquid job booster when she has a chance. She's just reached level 5, and I have a couple of questions:

What is so great about the daycare van? How does it work? Can I use it for my sims' own kids?
What does the "joys of children" interaction do?

Offline Zoey

• Nooboo
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
I was automatically like, "Oh, I just go to a daycare center and take care of the kids," I was pretty shocked when I found out they brought them to my house. All they did was cry. I wasn't prepared for that.
Life would be different if we were not here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2013, 06:12:18 AM »
I was automatically like, "Oh, I just go to a daycare center and take care of the kids," I was pretty shocked when I found out they brought them to my house. All they did was cry. I wasn't prepared for that.

They stop crying when you take care of their needs.  :)
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline KRae

• Watcher
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2013, 06:54:11 AM »
I got to level 5 without too much trouble. It helps to have extra self-employed sims at home to help with that morning rush. The parents always drop off the tots hungry and needing socialization. I managed to teach every child to potty, walk, and talk. The super-nanny LTR must have helped because the problem children were helped by talking about their problems. The only odd thing was that one little girl left on her bike about 15 minutes after arriving. No one seemed to care though.

Offline Chimark

• Nooboo
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 10:18:01 AM »
I had fun with this too. I never got more than a couple hundred simoleons for teaching the kids anything so I stopped, you don't seem to get any higher in the career faster by teaching them, just the tips.

I had one odd thing, I had a call on Saturday, and the parent wanting to leave the kid on Sunday. I forgot and went out fishing all Sunday. I get home and there is the child playing on the swing in my yard. The father appears and says, "Thanks for taking such good care of my kid."

Another message I loved was when one father called me up and said, "My child said he likes you more than me, I'm not sure how I feel about that." LOL