Author Topic: READ THIS FIRST - Rules for Stories Updated 12/2021  (Read 191280 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: READ THIS FIRST - Rules for Stories
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2013, 06:08:18 PM »
Welcome to our Forum, raerei.

May I ask how long you've been playing Sims 3? I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for and that information will help.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »
raerei, you might find this glossary helpful. The Watcher comes from Sims Medieval. Many of the terms have been used by writers in their stories and then picked up by other writers. One thing I'd advise is to post a question on a story thread if you don't understand a term that's been used.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline raerei

• Nooboo
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes!

I've been playing TS3 for 117 hours according to steam and I was a major TS2 player for the past few years. But I started Sims2 as 3 was just coming out, so my focus until recently was on the older game. None of my friends play, so I've been playing solo in a bubble. I've only been connected/aware with the greater Sims community for about 2 days. (When I ran across the stories written here and got hooked.)

I'm familiar with the mechanics and actions of Sims and how to write, but reading the stories here it feels like there's an semi-accepted "Sims" world that many writers choose to write in. One that doesn't quite follow our world and our world's rules. But follows the oddities of Sims and how they live.

Since I'm a world-builder at heart, I was wondering if anyone had written about this world and what was unique in it. A tourist guide perhaps of Sim culture. Just curious.

I'll keep reading the stories though, and glean what I can from there. And definitely will check out the glossary.

Rae

Offline sim.plesucks

• Nooboo
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
I'm a little bummed after reading this.  i've been working on my story for days and came today to share it with others only to read this and realise my story is not really acceptable.

1.  It involves teen/adult romance.

2.  There's mild sexual content.

3. The entire series starts with cheating. 

It amazes me that cheating would be considered inappropriate here?  Most of my Sims cheat on each other on a daily basis so it's weird that stories aren't allowed to be based on this.

I don't have stories about bunnies and rainbows and to be honest, most of the stories i've read here have contained some of the above.  So to clarify, are we really not allowed to post any stories that have any type of drama at all?  No fighting (happens a lot in game), no sexual content? (the whole point of a legacy is to make a baby?), no cheating? (Why?)

Thanks x

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2013, 09:11:08 AM »
It's not that you can't have a story without conflict. (That wouldn't be much of a story at all) Having a story involving cheating is fine, and I can think of a number that do feature it. The sexual content is probably fine, too. Just remember that this is a Teen-rated game, and the forum reflects that. Don't go all graphic or vulgar with the sexual content, and you'll probably be okay.

I'm not sure about the teen/adult romance, though. Maybe a moderator could say something about that.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »
I just read through the rules in the post. I didn't see anything about creating not being allowed. It's true that Sims cheat often and without our help. Writing about creating is fine as long as it's done in good taste. The same goes for romance and having babies. What we don't want are explicit love scenes or graphic descriptions. In the game it's called woohoo, a playful and harmless term. As for violence, the game itself has minimal violence and that's what we want to see in stories. No intentional killing of Sims, no killing"off camera".

If you would like to send me part of your story, I'll be happy to review and talk about its appropriatness for the Forum. Welcome to our Forum and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »

I don't have stories about bunnies and rainbows and to be honest, most of the stories i've read here have contained some of the above.  So to clarify, are we really not allowed to post any stories that have any type of drama at all?  No fighting (happens a lot in game), no sexual content? (the whole point of a legacy is to make a baby?), no cheating? (Why?)

Thanks x

Most things that you can do in a normal game are allowed, however breaking the teen rating of the game is something we do not allow here. So no  teen/adult relationships. Please see your private messages.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline audbooh

• she/her
  • Llama Wrangler
  • lurking in the shadows
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2013, 10:39:26 AM »
What's frivolous ???
unapologetic lover of romance, period pieces, and angsty pretty boys

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »
What's frivolous ???

From dictionary.com:

friv·o·lous  [friv-uh-luhs]
adjective

1. characterized by lack of seriousness or sense: frivolous conduct.
2. self-indulgently carefree; unconcerned about or lacking any serious purpose.
3. (of a person) given to trifling or undue levity: a frivolous, empty-headed person.
4. of little or no weight, worth, or importance; not worthy of serious notice: a frivolous suggestion.

An example of a frivolous post would be one that says only a couple of words that really don't mean much of anything.  Like, "Great update!" or something similar.  We just like for posts to have some real content for people who take the time to read them. 

Also, welcome to our Forum.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

cupcakeunicorn

« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »
Would a magic duel between two witches be ok or would it be considered violet?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2014, 04:12:23 AM »
Would a magic duel between two witches be ok or would it be considered violet?

As long as it's written tastefully, I think it would be ok.  And as long as it doesn't end in murder.

Also, welcome to our Forum.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

cupcakeunicorn

« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2014, 07:17:10 AM »
I also have another question. I was planning to post a story and as part of my sims backstory is her family being attacked and killed by monsters. Would I be able to briefly mention this as long as I'm not descriptive and don't include any images, or would I have to change it slightly to something like being kidnapped?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2014, 10:39:59 AM »
I also have another question. I was planning to post a story and as part of my sims backstory is her family being attacked and killed by monsters. Would I be able to briefly mention this as long as I'm not descriptive and don't include any images, or would I have to change it slightly to something like being kidnapped?

What you describe is fine as long as it tasteful and family friendly.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

cupcakeunicorn

« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2014, 01:46:27 PM »
Okay, thanks for the help  :)

Offline manicmondays

• The name? It's Ashley.
  • Nooboo
  • Simmer & Dynasty Enthusiast
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2014, 08:11:30 PM »
Hi,

I read through the rules and the entire thread; however, I still have a few questions. I plan to write a prologue for the beginning of my dynasty story that features the founder's parents perishing in an unfortunate fire. Would it be acceptable to include minimal pictures or would I only be allowed to write vague details about the accident? The reason I ask is because I'm not sure it would be considered as violence or not?  :-\

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

Works in Progress:

The Wintour Immortal Dynasty - Gen. 1

anything