Author Topic: Weird file in Electronic Arts file  (Read 2007 times)

Leto85

Weird file in Electronic Arts file
« on: July 22, 2011, 06:34:17 AM »
Does anybody know what's the purpose of a file with this name: xcpt KERSTEN-PC 11-06-09 00.22.30.mdmp ?
I have a few of those and I'm wondering if they share any purpose.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
Re: Weird file in Electronic Arts file
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 06:42:15 AM »
I get those too, only mine say LAURA (the PC name) instead of KERSTEN. My game still runs if I delete them, but I don't know what they're for, so I'd like to hear an answer to this too.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »
I believe those files along with their .txt counterparts are log files created when your game crashes. I have about 5 already, but, never mind, just created a new folder titled "Reports" and put them in it, just in case EA wants to take a look.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »

I believe those files along with their .txt counterparts are log files created when your game crashes.

That's it, exactly. There is no need to keep them, except if you want to contact EA Support. You can also take a look at the .txt ones, they don't bite and can sometimes point to the cause of the crash.
Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Leto85

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:38:33 PM »
Okey, good to know. Than I can delete them if I want. Not that they take up that amount of space, but does someone know if these files can perhaps make your game bugged?

By the way, I like your avatar BellaClo. It's almost a real picture instead of a sim.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:42:20 PM »
Okey, good to know. Than I can delete them if I want. Not that they take up that amount of space, but does someone know if these files can perhaps make your game bugged?

Firm answer: no. They are harmless.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:22:09 PM »
I think the game doesn't even read such extensions (.mdmp & .txt).

The avatar is my Sim from the writing challenge in the tournament. Her name is Georgina Starck, very loosely inspired by the character of George Starck in The Dark Half by Stephen King. I had just read that old book again, some weeks before the challenge, and I've always been struck by that evil (and rotting) guy. But besides the name, blond hair and an occupation in writing, my Sim and him had nothing in common. He's the typical bloodthirsty horror monster from King... and she spent 12 weeks writing children's books! I more or less enslaved that poor pixel soul to her computer, so I thought she deserved some kind of tribute, hence the avatar.
Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.