Author Topic: What is a CRC error?  (Read 18423 times)

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
What is a CRC error?
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:36:24 PM »
I searched the forum for "crc" but found nothing. I keep getting this CRC error when I try to install the base game from a disc.
I get error message like this(my translation so it might be a bit off):

"CRC error: The file C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game Data\Shared\NonPackaged\Library\Baker.package does not match the installation program's .cab-file"

Then I have to cancel the install and start again. The odd thing is, every time I try to install, the file in question is different (can be from a different folder etc), and after multiple times it magically manages to install everything without any errors.
It's really a nuisance because I've now started installing the game 4 times, and after 10-15 minutes I get the error and have to start from scracth... Times a wasting!

Does someone know what is a .cab-file and why would my game disk contain files that do not match the install wizard? I never had this problem but now it's happening with all of my discs. Is there something wrong in my computer?

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
Re: WHat is a CRC error?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:53:56 PM »
Usually, CRC error means that the system is having problems with your CD/DVD, and some files on it are corrupted.

This post at the official forums may help you:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/370376.page;jsessionid=0F26E124D631A0572A4E276B74399936.015051#5223150
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
Google told me this:
A cabinet (.cab) file is a library of compressed files stored as a single file. Cabinet files are used to organize installation files that are copied to the user's system.

I think CRC error has to do with a copy not matching the original file.

If you're getting this error with different disks it probably means your disk drive is not doing so well and so files are not being copied correctly to your C drive.

It might help to copy the entire contents of the disk to your desktop and then install from there.
Like this:

1. Insert the Sims 3 cd (WA, Ambitions, HELS etc. It depends on what you want to install or play)
2. Your E: (for some people their D:) may say something like 0mb of ...mb available.
3. Manually open (no autorun) the cd and copy (no cutting!) all files on the cd.
4. Paste the files in your C: drive. You may want to make a special folder for it.
5. Run setup from the C: drive and follow the instructions.
6. It may take a while before the setup starts. This does not mean it doesn't work!
7. If it doesn't come up you can try again. You can also press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and view the current processes to see if something like Sims 3 or EA is running.

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
Oh well...
I went trough copying of the contents of the disc to a folder and then running the setup.exe manually without the disc and I got the same error. My boyfriend is now testing if it installs on his computer.

PJsim, you are most likely right, again. Thank you. I guess my disk drive is breaking or something. It's not even old! Barely older than the warranty for it (go figure!).

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 04:22:31 PM »
I went trough copying of the contents of the disc to a folder and then running the setup.exe manually without the disc and I got the same error.

Maybe something in the link Chronic posted can help. :-\

I guess my disk drive is breaking or something. It's not even old! Barely older than the warranty for it (go figure!).

Isn't that some kind of natural law? Things will break the day after the warranty expires. I think I read that in Garfield. :P

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 05:00:10 PM »
Now this is getting more strange. We popped a couple of disks into my BFs disk drive and they installed flawlessly on his computer. Then he took his disk drive and connected into my computer. But I still get the CRC-error every time, even after I replaced my DVD-drive with his.

He says there must be something wrong with my hard drive, instead of the disk drive. So my next step is doing defrag on my computer. Its not too long since I did it but let's see if it changes anything.

Next step would be me chanting and dancing some good-luck-bringing dance around the computer under bare moonlight, praying to the mighty Computer Gods while my man is cursing and trying to fix my computer for this silly game...
(that one was a bad joke)

Thanks a lot PJSim and ChronicR, everyone on this forum has been so helpful during the months I've been a member. This forum really is a source of a lot of great information and help. Thank you.

EDIT.
In case someone will encounter this problem later, here's a solution which seems to work so far (I have installed the base game and WA and patched them; I got CRC errors installing both and also patching them both!)
To avoid CRC errors, do not install by the autorun prompted when you pop in the disk, instaed check out the contents of the disk, find the setup.exe, right click it and click "run as a system administrator". I avoided all CRC errors this way and the game is running fine so far.

anything