Author Topic: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program  (Read 327045 times)

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
  • Closest possible to real me!
Re: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program
« Reply #165 on: October 28, 2011, 10:03:57 AM »
that was 4 horses... but your choice LOL.

I tried 1 sim and 3 horses and just couldn't handle it cos I'd only had single sim before that.
now trying again with a married couple and 2 horses.. but I'm playing for fun, not for an empire

VampirePlasma

« Reply #166 on: October 28, 2011, 10:45:21 AM »
LOL. I'm making 1 sim and 3 horses, I don't even think I can handle that many horses!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2011, 11:49:39 AM »
I started a game on my husband's computer (which has Pets installed) and it was just her and 3 horses but after a while it was kinda lonely and I thought maybe I should expand so I just added a husband and another horse.  So now I have three happy couples !   This has to be the only game style where I'm actually thinking normal lifespan is too short.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
Just had to share a picture of my little herd!

Thanks for the inspiration, Mary!

Offline DoubleWe

• Townie
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2011, 08:55:05 AM »
It's amazing, really! I was working so hard on a farm ... I didn't even play jet, I just built. I haven't been happy with at least one of my farms so I always just deleted it right away.
Yesterday I was searching hard for a name of said (still not build) farm. I found a perfect one and suddenly everything just clicked into place and TADA ... the farm is built! I only need to furnish it ... and let someone move in that is.

MaryMarsh

« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
Normal sim lifespan when you're doing a horse ranch is definitely too short.

In real life it does not require 15 minutes to saddle a horse. Feeding a carrot, 10 minutes? Riding two blocks to the Equestrian Center, 45 minutes? Please. Try for Foal can easily chew up half a day, what with multiple hangups getting them into the stall. Then there's the Jockey lifetime wish and achieving the three International wins, which can take weeks in and of itself. Until EA can work out these inconsistencies, my advice is to turn off aging, set intermediate goals, and age Sims manually as appropriate.

In the case of competitions, in real life a single season might include 10-20 competitive events. It's ridiculous to thing of a sim going from adult to senior in the space of only a few seasons.

Personally, I always disable aging. Not only does it affect me emotionally when a sim dies, I also enoy playing truly epic games, where my sims might have a number careers, raise several children to adulthood, and hang around long enough to see their grandchildren married, with children of their own.

I wish there was a way to slow down the clock relative to everything else.

Offline Cas

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
My own little ranch is coming along nicely now.  I picked the 3rd generation twins of one of my old families to start it off.  Cost was approximately 120k to get it initially up and running.  The residential part still needs a lot of work but I'm happy with the rest :)  Inspired of course by Mary's spread!

I was aiming for a courtyard feel to the stables complex.  Haven't really got it yet so need to save up to redesign the house!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
Normal sim lifespan when you're doing a horse ranch is definitely too short.

In real life it does not require 15 minutes to saddle a horse. Feeding a carrot, 10 minutes? Riding two blocks to the Equestrian Center, 45 minutes? Please. Try for Foal can easily chew up half a day, what with multiple hangups getting them into the stall. Then there's the Jockey lifetime wish and achieving the three International wins, which can take weeks in and of itself. Until EA can work out these inconsistencies, my advice is to turn off aging, set intermediate goals, and age Sims manually as appropriate.

When you consider all the prep work you have to do before putting the saddle on, it doesn't end up being too far from 15 minutes.  The thing to consider though, is that most human beings live longer than 100 days lol.  It's all about relative perspective.  ;)
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Cas

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »
I generally prefer the normal lifespan setting, but I've set the foal life stage to just 2 days under the settings.  It's nice that we can customise all the length of all the life stages for both pets and sims.

Offline Lesleyxxx

• Townie
  • Closest possible to real me!
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »
Finally I managed to get a horse in the beginner race, and, wait for it, came last! hahahaha it's still a step up from failing to compete.  ;)

Offline AriaGirl77

• Watcher
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »
Nice ranch, Cas!

I've kept everything at normal life span.  My original ranching sim got married and had a kid so I figure it will just be a family business. :)

Offline Cas

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2011, 04:45:34 AM »
I won my first international race last night!  My twin girls who run the ranch each had an equally trained horse (and both level 10 riding).  One was a unicorn, the other a regular adult horse.  The unicorn won both races, the regular horse placed 2nd both times.  I assume the unicorns innate speed bonus effects races too.  I may just have to release the unicorn back to the wild, will feel more satisfying to win with a regular horse.

I also redesigned my ranch a bit and tried to build some arches for the horses to go through when leaving the courtyard (see pic below), but sadly they wouldn't path through them :(.

I had to settle for this instead:

Offline Lizzy

• Townie
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2011, 09:02:53 AM »
Sims crashed and my saved game is corrupt now  :-\
Guess we'll start over  ::)

Leto85

« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »
Sims crashed and my saved game is corrupt now  :-\
Guess we'll start over  ::)

You maybe don't have to. There are ways to save your savefile. I'll pm you about it.

Dellena

« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »
You inspired me, Mary, to further expand on a family I had started.  I'm a big Jane Austen fan, particularly Pride & Prejudice and the continuation of their story through Sharon Lathan's books.  In her continuation, Mr. Darcy is seen as a keen horseman.  So I've made a present day Fitzwilliam and Elizabeth Darcy in Appaloosa Plains.  The stallion is Parsifal.  I've opted for all the horses to be full blood arabians.  I've also gone with three breeding mares (Crimson, Diamond and Alexa.  I'm using the Long life span.  With your tips, I'm working on first getting the Advanced Racing challenge done on both Parsifal and Crimson.  There's a teenage son, Alexander, who wants to follow in his parents' footsteps to run the ranch with them.  Btw, I wish children could do more with the horses (sigh).  I'll post a picture of my ranch later. :)

anything