Author Topic: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program  (Read 327258 times)

Offline Miss Estella

• Llama Wrangler
  • ❤ Sims
Re: My Horse Ranch/Breeding Program
« Reply #390 on: June 16, 2012, 04:30:08 PM »
Hello, I'm back. And my first horse ranch went terribly, and after a few more tries with horses I pretty much gave up. I did identity my problem, however, and I think I kept making my ranches too posh and closed up. My horses hated going anywhere and I was hard pressed to keep my horse's exercised. But I'm thinking about trying again; I've re-read the thread and I have some ideas. What do you all suggest?

Offline EquineSim

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #391 on: June 17, 2012, 05:54:52 AM »
Biggest lot you can afford, start small, have big paddocks and don't worry too much about having a whole barn set up, just stalls outside are fine.
Plus to save on space, a lot of training can be done just riding around or using your towns training grounds, if it has them.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline EquineSim

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #392 on: June 17, 2012, 05:56:59 AM »
Oh and save OFTEN :-) and if your horse has the oreney trait they will throw their rider almost every time being ridden, in my experience.

Offline Miss Estella

• Llama Wrangler
  • ❤ Sims
« Reply #393 on: June 17, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »
Yeah, I guess I tried to make it as much as an actual horse stable- posh training grounds, huge stables, the horses confined all the time unless being worked by grooms and such.

In my next horse ranch I want to concentrate on tracking the sale price of foals I sell, while also training the parents and such, like Mary did.

But more importantly, I want to play with genetics- pick a easily defined breed and try to breed it with a color horse to get that coat pattern perfectly while also tryjn to retain my breed standards. Sort of like Mary did with the Appaloosas and Arabians, but I want to do that a lot. Do any of you have ideas for breeds I should use, and for my starter stock? I need a breed that is easily be distinguished in sims but can also be of standard when mix with a bunch of colors.

Offline simmese

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #394 on: June 17, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
This thread made me want to start my own ranch ... I know next to nothing about horses or breeding etc so this is really just for fun for me

My Ranch

My stallion , Spirit

My Mare , Freebird

Offline Miss Estella

• Llama Wrangler
  • ❤ Sims
« Reply #395 on: June 17, 2012, 03:44:53 PM »
Cool Simmese! What breeds are your horses?

I've got an idea, and I'm going to test it out, and report back later.

Offline simmese

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #396 on: June 17, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »
Cool Simmese! What breeds are your horses?

I've got an idea, and I'm going to test it out, and report back later.

Spirit is a Lippizanner and Freebird is a Thoroughbred

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline EquineSim

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #397 on: June 18, 2012, 05:49:52 AM »
Yeah, I guess I tried to make it as much as an actual horse stable- posh training grounds, huge stables, the horses confined all the time unless being worked by grooms and such.

In my next horse ranch I want to concentrate on tracking the sale price of foals I sell, while also training the parents and such, like Mary did.

But more importantly, I want to play with genetics- pick a easily defined breed and try to breed it with a color horse to get that coat pattern perfectly while also tryjn to retain my breed standards. Sort of like Mary did with the Appaloosas and Arabians, but I want to do that a lot. Do any of you have ideas for breeds I should use, and for my starter stock? I need a breed that is easily be distinguished in sims but can also be of standard when mix with a bunch of colors.

It's a lot of luck, but I've had great luck with anglo arabs x appaloosas. It took a few foals, but I got the anglo arab shape, with nice appaloosa colouring in three of my foals.

simmese...your ranch is BEAUTIFUL!

Offline simmese

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #398 on: June 18, 2012, 07:13:27 AM »
It's a lot of luck, but I've had great luck with anglo arabs x appaloosas. It took a few foals, but I got the anglo arab shape, with nice appaloosa colouring in three of my foals.

simmese...your ranch is BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks Hun :)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #399 on: June 18, 2012, 09:45:30 AM »
I am having the problem again on breeding my horses.  I click on "try for foal", one horse goes in and the other one shakes his head and won't follow.  I had this problem when I first got pets and I read how to fix it, now I forgot.  I have stand alone stalls, the expensive stall, nothing.  I just can't remember.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline simmese

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #400 on: June 18, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
Meanwhile , back in Appaloosa Plains my simself has also caught the horse bug , and as her old house wasnt really equipped for horses she decided to move ... so she and the dogs moved to the Seaview Stables (forgot to get a pic)

She bought herself a stallion she named Cyclone , he is a grey and white paint

and a mare called Rayne , a black and white paint

It wasnt long before it was true love and the two horses became inseperable

Then the inevitable happened ... Rayne became pregnant :thumbup:
And in the night little Storm was born (I had to go into buy mode so I could change it to daytime light for the pics)

He has lovely markings :)

Offline JoBoyce

• Nooboo
« Reply #401 on: June 18, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »
I've been reading this forum for a week or so now, and i got so involved and excited reading that i went and ordered The Sims 3 Pets as soon as I could! It should be here by the end of the week and I can't wait to get started!!

Everyone's progress on here has really inspired me and everyone's ranches look so beautiful! Keep posting all your progress I love reading about it!  :)

Offline Hayley

• Nooboo
« Reply #402 on: June 18, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »
Everyone has inspired me to make my own ranch, I will try to upload pictures of the finished house, once I destroy the current one :) Plus I will get a picture of my horses as well :)

Offline Hayley

• Nooboo
« Reply #403 on: June 18, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »
Okay so this is a 60x60 lot, took me about 2 hours maybe more. I chose country style items, I wasn't going to do a tv, but then I thought for the sims sake so it won't complain. I just witnessed my first fire,
So here is a picture of my house, (sorry if they're big!)

Here is my first horse, Dark Twilight: She is the first broodmare and was the only mare on the farm until she got pregnant and gave birth to a beautiful filly which I will share a photo of next:
Dark Twilight:

Aires Twilight filly of Dark Twilight and sire of an equestrian Stud:
soon...

Offline EquineSim

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #404 on: June 19, 2012, 03:26:23 AM »
Hayley your ranch house is so nice...jealous!!
I'm thinking of retsarting my ranch, but it took 3 weeks to build the whole thing so I don't know what I should do :(
I'll try to get a picture on later maybe

anything