Author Topic: Befriending and Adopting Strays  (Read 122294 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Befriending and Adopting Strays
« on: October 28, 2011, 04:22:10 PM »
My first new Sim accepted the wish to adopt 6 strays, however I have a great deal of confusion as to how this is done and there doesn't seem to be any information on the subject anywhere.  I believe that it is our duty as the coolest forum on the internet to change that problem.  ;)

1)  Stray dogs and cats show up on my Sim's home lot...but they show up at night, sleep for a couple of hours, and then leave before morning.  I've woken the Sim in question up in the middle of the night to interact with the stray, but they initiate 3 interactions and the stray leaves to go "home" (it's 3, every time).  Overlooking the fact that I find it somewhat odd that the stray goes "home," how do I encourage the animal to stay long enough to develop a friendship with it?

2)  This Sim spent a pretty good amount of time watching a wild horse (and it raised their relationship some), however it would never let me approach it.  How high does one's relationship have to be before you can interact with the horse?  And can you adopt a wild horse?

3)  This Sim lives in Appaloosa Plains (which is oddly hilly for a plain lol).  Is there a place she can go to find strays, or does she have to wait for them to come to her house?

She has all 3 welcome gnomes on her property, and doesn't currently have any pets.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
Re: Befriending and Adopting Strays
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
I have seen stray dogs and cats return in AP after the initial meeting but I don't know how long it was before it returned. 

You can adopt a wild horse.  I've seen several threads and stories that involve just this.  You just need to have level 8 riding and be at least friends with them. ( I think)

Strays tend to be everywhere that I can see but usually you have to wait for them to come to you because in town they seem to disappear. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »
I have seen stray dogs and cats return in AP after the initial meeting but I don't know how long it was before it returned. 

You can adopt a wild horse.  I've seen several threads and stories that involve just this.  You just need to have level 8 riding and be at least friends with them. ( I think)

Strays tend to be everywhere that I can see but usually you have to wait for them to come to you because in town they seem to disappear. 

So I'll need to get a horse from the equestrian center before i can tame a wild horse.  Although I remember reading somewhere that you could go to someone's house and use their horse...

The only place I've ever seen stray cats and dogs are on my property.  Maybe I'm just not patient enough lol.  But why only 3 interactions?  Is there something else that governs this that I'm not seeing?

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »
Sometimes I don't even get to do one interaction before they run away.  I don't know what it is and I keep hoping that Carl and Metro come up with some genius way of getting it done.

You can ride other people's horses but you have to ask permission.   You can also learn riding by reading a book in the library.  Or maybe by doing what they suggest in this thread (link)

Have you ever had any luck with inviting the stray inside?

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
I'm trying a fenced-in area with food, scratch post, toys, and old newspapers to keep them from wandering off.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »
No luck yet, but I've adopted a dog and a cat from neighbors.  I'm hoping that if there is some kind of "hidden skill" for interacting with animals that will help me train it.  No luck so far in getting a stray to come inside.  When the wild horses come, they tend to hang out a while if I watch them and they drink out of my lake on occasion...but the dogs and cats don't ever hang out long.

I actually put a food bowl outside for them, but they never touched it (the raccoon had at it though lol).  They come up, sleep for a couple hours and go on their way.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »
So far, I've only seen the same stray a couple of times and they never stay long enough for more than three or four interactions.  I've invited them inside and then picked them up and carried into the house, but they still won't stay.  After I see the same stray a couple of times, I never see it again.  My Sim has the Raised with Wolves and Animal Expert Lifetime Happiness Rewards and I can't tell yet if they make a difference.

@Hosfac:

You can also adopt from the shelter by using the phone, newspaper, or computer.  They won't count as strays, though.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
Don't bother with fencing to keep them in -- they just teleport out. I'm trying to build up charisma and see if that helps.

With regard to adopting your neighbors' pets -- do you get an "ask to move in" option?

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 10:25:09 AM »
It's an option outside all the normal options when there is a pet for adoption.   So your choices would be: Friendly, Funny, Mean, Romantic, Special, Ask about Pet for Adoption.   Or something to that nature.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »
You can also adopt from the shelter by using the phone, newspaper, or computer.  They won't count as strays, though.

For the LTW, adopting from neighbors do count as strays...although I'm relatively certain that they're not supposed to.  I'm certain that this is a bug, just like I believe that the strays refusing to stay on a lot is a bug.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 12:48:05 AM »
I still have had no luck befriending a stray.  Anyone else have new information?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »
I still have had no luck befriending a stray.  Anyone else have new information?

I'll tell you my "adopting" experience and my adopting problem.

My Sim found a cat on the street and I used testing cheats to raise the relationship bar quickly, just to see what worked.  She was able to take the cat home with her, the cat seems content to stay but I haven't gotten any option to adopt or to add the cat to the household. It's just living there in her house with out being playable.

The adoption problem I'm having is that my Sim can't use her computer to look for adoptable pets. She's got the computer whiz trait and can do anything on the computer except look for pets.  As soon as I give the command to check for neighbors with pets to adopt she is teleported out of her chair to another spot in the room.  I've tried resetting her but that doesn't help. I shut the game down and I'll see if it might work on restarting but it's just odd.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »

I'll tell you my "adopting" experience and my adopting problem.

My Sim found a cat on the street and I used testing cheats to raise the relationship bar quickly, just to see what worked.  She was able to take the cat home with her, the cat seems content to stay but I haven't gotten any option to adopt or to add the cat to the household. It's just living there in her house with out being playable.

The adoption problem I'm having is that my Sim can't use her computer to look for adoptable pets. She's got the computer whiz trait and can do anything on the computer except look for pets.  As soon as I give the command to check for neighbors with pets to adopt she is teleported out of her chair to another spot in the room.  I've tried resetting her but that doesn't help. I shut the game down and I'll see if it might work on restarting but it's just odd.

Try using her cell phone or the newspaper.  Also, how many pets already live in the household?  If there are six, you won't be able to adopt any more.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 09:23:08 PM »
Try using her cell phone or the newspaper.  Also, how many pets already live in the household?  If there are six, you won't be able to adopt any more.

She's  only picked up the one cat and at the time I closed the game her newspaper hadn't arrived. That was going to be my next step.  (She has the rescue LTW.)

What I think is so odd is that she hasn't been given the option to adopt the cat she picked up off the street.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 09:30:35 AM »
If you go to Map View, you can see if there's a house with pets to adopt (the marker is orange).

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
@Pam

It gets more and more odd. I moved my Sim into a new home just in case there was some kind of glitch in the house she was living in. (The cat didn't follow but since he was never playable I really didn't expect him to.) She still can't check the computer for pets to adopt from neighbors. She's teleported out of her chair to another spot in the room.  The same thing happens when she checks the newspaper for pets to adopt from neighbors, teleported again.  She can read the paper for hot spots and other things, just not neighbor adoptions.

She's only able to adopt from the shelter over the phone.

I also think my Sims are getting extremely stupid. I find that when I give them a command to do something instead of leaving the room to go into the room they need to they will face the wall and get the "I can't get there" thought bubble. Absolutely nothing is in the way and I have to lead them to where they are going using the "go here" command.  I just had to lead her out of the bedroom into the hall and then into the room where her computer was.

I'm about ready to ditch this game and start a new one.

Dellena

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 04:29:54 PM »
You don't have to ditch the household you're playing yet.  From Edit Town, click on the house and select the option to copy to the bin.  Only copy the household and do not include the house.  Try starting a new game, move the household from the bin into a new house and see if you still have the same issue.  Also, have you tried using different computers?  As in different models.  Maybe only one model is the problem.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 08:03:21 PM »
You don't have to ditch the household you're playing yet.  From Edit Town, click on the house and select the option to copy to the bin.  Only copy the household and do not include the house.  Try starting a new game, move the household from the bin into a new house and see if you still have the same issue.  Also, have you tried using different computers?  As in different models.  Maybe only one model is the problem.

I started a new game with the Sim that was having the problems. It wasn't a big sacrifice I didn't have a lot of time put into that last game yet. So far it looks like it might all be working right now. I was able to search the newspaper for neighbors with pets to adopt and did not get teleported.

Unfortunately Dellena I just have one computer to use for my game.  Normally I have a very glitch free game so it's unusual for me to have a problem.

Dellena

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 05:20:55 AM »
:D  I meant had you tried using different computer models in the game to adopt pets. :)  But I'm glad it's working now for you.  Sounds like something in the that game world was glitched.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »
:D  I meant had you tried using different computer models in the game to adopt pets. :)  But I'm glad it's working now for you.  Sounds like something in the that game world was glitched.

*smacks self on forehead*  Ok!  Yes I did that. I tried two different desktops and two different laptops for my Sim. I tried different rooms and then even different houses.  In the new game she can adopt from the computer, the newspaper and the phone. Both from neighbors and the shelter.

And Pam, no matter what I do I don't get an option to adopt what I call an actual stray. They will come to the house and stay and you can interact with them but it's like butlers and they are unplayable.

Dellena

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »
I've been able to invite a stray to join the family before.  But you need to have a high enough reputation with them.  I was thinking, if you have problems with keeping them there long enough, maybe lure them into a fenced in area and lock the gate so they can't leave. ;)

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »
Any new info about adopting strays?
I've only heard it's possible trough testing cheats and modding, but I want to adopt without cheating. I currently have a stray dog in my house (who I invited in and he stayed), who is BFF with my sim but I get no option for adopting... I only have two horses as pets.

Online Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »
@Noodles
Do you have 8 Sims in your household, or seven Sims, one of whom is pregnant?

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »
@Noodles
Do you have 8 Sims in your household, or seven Sims, one of whom is pregnant?

2 sims, 2 horses - the horse is pregnant so it counts as 3 horses, I guess. But I should still have room for 3 pets and 6 sims.
The relationship bar doesn't seem to fill up entirely. There's a teeny tiny amount missing, but still, their BFF. I tried clicking the dog when it's on the ground, and while holding it, both inside and outside the house, but the option is still gone. He seems to enjoy his stay though; he doesn't leave, enjoys the food I give him and destroys my carpets.  :D

Online Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »
2 sims, 2 horses - the horse is pregnant so it counts as 3 horses, I guess. But I should still have room for 3 pets and 6 sims.

Just so you know, it's a max of 8 Sims and 6 Pets, to a max of 10 creatures (Sims + Pets) per household. Meaning, if you had 6 Pets, you could have a max of only 4 Sims.
And, I'm sorry, but I can't help. I've never adopted strays (yet).

Edited to change "you could have a max of only 2 Sims" to "you could have a max of only 4 Sims".

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Just so you know, it's a max of 8 Sims and 6 Pets, to a max of 10 creatures (Sims + Pets) per household. Meaning, if you had 6 Pets, you could have a max of only 2 Sims.
And, I'm sorry, but I can't help. I've never adopted strays (yet).

Oh, that's good to know. Now that I think of it, it really would be a full circus with 8 sims and 6 pets all under one roof.

About the stray - I reloaded my game, but it didn't help, so I just asked the dog to leave. Maybe there's some restriction that it needs to visit set amount of times before it will be willing to move in or something (I doubt it but can't come up with any solution), this was his second visit on my lot.

Edit. Maybe I was right about the number of visits - when the dog came for the third time, I got the adopt option after inviting him in. Before that, no amount of interactions would bring the option up.:)

Donnie313

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 04:49:14 AM »
Hey Noodles, I think you're right. I FINALLY managed to befriend a stray dog that came around to my house several times. Eventually I was able to invite him inside, pick him up, I even had the option to bathe him and call him over as if he was one of my pets, but there was no "adopt stray" option. I searched multiple forums and message boards on the subject but could find no answers until I came across your suggestion to ask him to leave and wait for him to come back. Although I was reluctant at first (because it took me so long just to be able to get him to stay longer then a couple hours without running off.) I did ask him to leave. After a couple days he came back and once again I had my sim invite him in. This time there WAS an "adopt stray" option! He officially became a part of the family, I was able to name him and can now give him direct commands. I know it's a game and this is probably gonna sound corny but it made me really happy to be able to adopt him because I have a dog in real life who looks identical to him. So thank you for the tip, if I hadn't read your post, I may have never figured out how to go about adopting strays!  :)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 05:36:21 AM »
Welcome to our Forum, Donnie!

I'm really so glad to hear you were able to adopt a stray.  This has baffled all of us since Pets came out.

@ Noodles:

Thank you for sharing the information.  Carl will probably want to add it to the Guide.  :D

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Lysita

• Townie
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 11:50:06 PM »
Well, this all seems very strange and nothing I ever encountered with pets. I once had a family adopt a stray dog on the very first visit, although I may have used cheats to raise the bar. At the moment I don't have pets installed, but I may have to try doing it the right way and see what happens. Perhaps it helps to have the related trait to whichever animal, although I'd figure Animal Lover would be good if you want to do more than one type of pet.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 12:28:15 AM »
I still have never been able to adopt a stray.  I do the invite inside and ask to leave thing, but mostly they don't come back around.  Or they leave too soon or something else that doesn't let it happen.  I usually play with a lot of Sims, so there's really not the time to see the stray each time, either.  I'd still like to see it happen sometime.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline makeupinternet

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »
Has anyone had any more experiences with adopting strays? I have the same "problems" mentioned in this thread, I can only interact 3 times and then the stray "goes home". I really wanna adopt a stray cat, so any info would be helpful :)

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »
I had no problem. You have to get them when they first come on the lot before they are tired. I did "sniff hand", "play", "feed treat", in repitition. The problem is when they get tired or hungry. Then they leave.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Immortal
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 01:06:10 AM »
I gave up on trying to adopt strays, doing interactions with them as soon as they appear on my lot didn't work for me, the stray would still leave after only a few. By the time they came back (Often days later) any relationship built up with them had dropped.  >:(

I just hope EA make strays easier to befriend in The Sims 4. (Sadly I cannot see it being fixed for The Sims 3).

Offline makeupinternet

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 10:49:32 AM »
I've noticed that the same strays keep coming around for their entire life span. So eventhough I could only interact with a pet 3 times each visit, over time I was able to befriend and adopt a few cats. Yeahy! But I agree that this should be more simple to do.

Offline HerGoldenHair

• Nooboo
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »
I registered just to post this, but today I found a method in my game to stop that pesky "go home" action for strays.  I *think* all it requires is having testingcheats enabled. When the stray is leaving, quickly go into Build mode, then ctrl+shift+click on the stray, and click the Reset option. In my game, this caused the pet to stop going home and just stand there. I expected it to teleport away, but no! :) I was able to befriend a cute Stray Dog this way by stopping him in his tracks each time he tried to leave. It was very satisfying, hehe.
I hope this works for others, too :) 
Next I'm planning to use the "ask to leave" method on this dog, to see if I can get the Adopt option to show up (since it hasn't, yet).

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2012, 07:23:49 AM »
Adopting from the shelter also counts as adopting a stray... Which I think is kind of cool because the shelter animals don't have anyone to love them... I also discovered that if you adopt from the shelter then send the animal back to the shelter and re-adopt them from the shelter that counts as 2 adoptions for that LTW... This all occurred because my adorable little puppy I adopted from the shelter turned into a HUGE dog when I thought it would be a little dog (yeah I really wasn't paying attention when I adopted it except for looking at traits) so I sent it back to the shelter... A few days later I realised I missed my huge dog so I re-adopted him and then realised it had registered another stray against my LTW tally!
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

Offline Abyshep

• Townie
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 04:49:36 AM »
Noodles,

Great tip. I had a stray dog that my sim befriended and she hung around but I didn't get the 'Adopt' option despite being BFF.

I asked the dog to leave and when she came back, I could adopt her!

Noodle (named after you) has settled into her new home and is making advances towards my sims male dog!

Patter of tiny paws soon perhaps!

Thanks

AbyShep

Offline Palti

• Nooboo
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 03:17:08 AM »
I have tried time after time to adopt strays, never any luck. I always end up with them leaving, same with wild horse. :'(

Offline HerGoldenHair

• Nooboo
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 12:53:50 AM »
Re: my above post, I asked the dog to leave, and next time that it showed up of its own accord, I was able to adopt it after one or two interactions. 8D
So, thanks for the helpful thread. :)

Offline Babbaroni

• Nooboo
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
Sometimes I don't even get to do one interaction before they run away.  I don't know what it is and I keep hoping that Carl and Metro come up with some genius way of getting it done.

You can ride other people's horses but you have to ask permission.   You can also learn riding by reading a book in the library.  Or maybe by doing what they suggest in this thread (link)

Have you ever had any luck with inviting the stray inside?

I hardly ever see stray cats or dogs in any of my Sims  games.  But recently in Monte Vista, my Sim befriended a stray dog that showed up barking in her living room, but when she tried "adopt" it VANISHED into thin air.  A long, long time later it showed up on the lot again, sleeping on an outdoor bench this time, but when she just tried "let sniff hand" it VANISHED again.  They were still listed a "best friends".  I find this very frustrating!

Offline Mermaid

• Nooboo
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2015, 10:23:18 AM »
Ctrl+Shift+c
testingcheatsenabled true
Hold Shift key and click on the animal at the same time
You will get the option "Add to family" or something that goes by those words

Offline Chameleoncrab

• Nooboo
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 06:39:33 AM »
I am trying the LTW of adopting strays for the first time and I came across something kind of interesting. I too have rarely seen stray animals in my neighborhoods, even with all the gnomes in play. However, I have been playing with a legacy family in the same neighborhood for three generations now and I started seeing strays all over. Not saying this is required, but it seems that the more ppl get old and die, the more pets will be left without homes. Also, while I haven't had a single stray come to my lot, my Sims do live next to a dog park, and today I saw TWO stray dogs playing there. I'm building relationships with them now. I haven't tested this for cats, but perhaps if you place the dog and cat parks, since they have food and other essentials for those pets, the strays might tend to flock there. So far it has worked for dogs. If the theory holds, it would be a great place to meet stray animals.

Offline Candyd

• Queen of grilled cheese
  • Occult
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2016, 10:34:39 AM »
Since adopting strays is so hard, I've personally chosen a completely different option about strays : I've edited all non-purebred stray dogs in CAS and made them wolves. I've also given them typical wolf traits. They're all skilled hunters and have "wild creature" traits such as shy, independent or destructive. I'm enjoying the game better this way. Meeting a stray dog can be frustrating as they almost always leave forever, but seeing a wolf in town is like seeing a raccoon or a deer, some kind of privilege, and an ever rarer privilege if sims manage to build a friendship with one !
I haven't edited stray cats yet, but I'm also considering changing them into another type of wild animal. Maybe a bobcat, or something similar.