Author Topic: Clean Inside of Computer to Help Performance  (Read 9363 times)

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • I'm doing an internet! Woooahhh!
Clean Inside of Computer to Help Performance
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:23:40 PM »
I am very happy. (Yes all 3 :P) Me and my dad worked on the really glitchy computer that played the Sims 3. I was on the verge of quitting, it always froze. And sometimes, the graphics card would heat up to 103o Celsius . But now, after clearing the dust inside the computer and outside the graphic card, I loaded up BridgePort on max graphics and placed tons of trees everywhere and it worked! Yey! So now I can build [big] houses again without it glitching. I could build small homes if I had the patience; but it didn't load fast enough.  :o

[Moderator's note:  This great information was originally posted on the Babble Thread, but it will better serve the Forum in its own topic on the Technical Help board.  I moved the relevant posts and gave it a new subject name.  Big thanks to ZapKid and everyone else who's contributing.  -Pam]
Find my builds here. | Last Created; Cubeached
Also, feel free to request a home by PMing me! Always happy to help.

Hey guys I'm taking an extended hiatus... again. I'm out of ideas to build houses and I don't have as much fun designing homes like I used to; it feels more like a chore. So that's where I'll be, I will probably be back sometime. :P

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
Re: Clean Inside of Computer to Help Performance
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 09:33:47 PM »
I am very happy. (Yes all 3 :P) Me and my dad worked on the really glitchy computer that played the Sims 3. I was on the verge of quitting, it always froze. And sometimes, the graphics card would heat up to 103o Celsius . But now, after clearing the dust inside the computer and outside the graphic card, I loaded up BridgePort on max graphics and placed tons of trees everywhere and it worked! Yey! So now I can build [big] houses again without it glitching. I could build small homes if I had the patience; but it didn't load fast enough.  :o

So does that mean my computer might perform better if I cleaned it out inside? Never really thought about that. I did it when we first got it but have since forgotten and my computer is probably about 3 years old.  :o Maybe I will try that and see if I can then turn up my graphics in the game and run better. Although we will be getting a new computer in a few months I would love to get Sims to work better on this one since I want to keep this one for my children to use!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline NeonColors

• Townie
  • Smile (:
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »

Really. . .? Hmm, cleaning from inside and out. . . Hmmmmm. Interesting. I will consider this.  ;D
Life sucks, and then you die.

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:12:19 PM »
Since you guys are wondering, here's how to clean it out.

1. Turn everything off.
2. Open computer case (outside)
3. Look for your video/graphics card
4. Take a can of compressed air (found at hardware stores) and clean the outside of the graphics card. Chances are it's really dusty
5. Put the case back on.
6. Enjoy!

If you're worried you'll break the computer, find a tech geek to help you.   ;)

Hey guys I'm taking an extended hiatus... again. I'm out of ideas to build houses and I don't have as much fun designing homes like I used to; it feels more like a chore. So that's where I'll be, I will probably be back sometime. :P

Offline NeonColors

• Townie
  • Smile (:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 10:17:01 PM »
Tech geek it is! Now I need to get my daddy on my side. Thanks ZapKid.

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »
No prob. :)

loveSims

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 01:50:38 AM »
That's great Zapkid! Dust in a computer can be very bad. The tech guy that upgrade my pc almost fainted when he opened it lol. I will never let dust build up like that again. My pc was horrible slow and make strange noises when I turn it on. Now it is awsome!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 02:24:06 AM »
Actually, on the subject of cleaning out the computer. I used to have a note on the inside of my Sims 2 case saying that if the game started freezing and booting me to the desktop it was time to clean the system. Twindad would take the tower up to the shed , remove the cover and blast it with the air compressor. It worked 99% of the time. Now he just occasionally does it anyway to this computer when we notice a bit of dust build up on the back vent.

Norma
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 04:06:47 AM »
Would this also be indicated by my computer making this loud wirring noise inside when I turn it on? I wiped off some dust from the back but I didn't think about inside. I'll see if we have any compressed air and do it anyway.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

loveSims

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 04:18:48 AM »
Would this also be indicated by my computer making this loud wirring noise inside when I turn it on? I wiped off some dust from the back but I didn't think about inside. I'll see if we have any compressed air and do it anyway.
Yes my computer did that! You could hear it in the next room lol  :o

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 04:27:53 AM »
Yes my computer did that! You could hear it in the next room lol  :o

At first I thought it was the disk inside or something but that wasn't spinning but it sounds quite violent, you can tell when I'm turning my computer on from downstairs now! My Dad said he found the air stuff yesterday whilst looking for something else so we can do that today.

EDIT: Thank you so much! I looked inside my computer and well let's just say we almost needed a chisel to get the dust off. It is silent! It also seems much faster. :)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:53:55 AM »
Samoht: That would be the fan trying to cool the computer down. My computer is normally totally quiet, this one you could hear plugging your ears!  :o

Offline NeonColors

• Townie
  • Smile (:
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
So all I need is compressed air. And how do I open my laptop, oh does it work on laptops. (Yeah, am not a computer whiz)

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
I'm not entirely sure; I did mine on a Windows 7 computer. You need to find a ultra-tech geek to help you with that.  :P

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »
I cleaned the inside of mine tonight.  It wasn't as bad as I expected, but there was still a lot of dust.

I'm not sure about a laptop, either.  We have one and it's not obvious how to open it. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."