Author Topic: It Happened One Christmas/A Short Seasonal Tale (Completed)  (Read 18563 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
It Happened One Christmas/A Short Seasonal Tale (Completed)
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:40:18 PM »
For anyone who has been waiting patiently for me to get back to the Flowers Waiting for Grim Story, I appreciate your patience.  I do intend to finally stop procrastinating and finish the story after Christmas.  Meantime I offer you this little seasonal diversion, and a promise:  there will be no procrastinating.  This is going to be a very short story, and it will end on Christmas eve.  One way or another, it will finish on that day.  Now, let's get on with it.  Here's Chapter 1.

Chapter 1

Our story begins in Sunset Valley.  On Sunday afternoon, a scientist checks her plants:

Her name is Sandra but most people call her Sandy.  Sandy Paws.  She plans to spend her day off tending her little garden and catching fish.

Then she gets an unexpected phone call from her boss:  she is to come in to work.  Right away.  He wants to see her Now.  She leaves her fishing and hurries down to the Science building, wondering what could be so important that she needs to come to work on her day off.  She can't remember her boss ever coming in on his day off before, so there must be something really wrong.

Her boss tells her he's had complaints about Sandy's efforts to provide better conditions for the lab animals:  "People don't like you interfering with their research."  Ignoring Sandy's attempt to explain, her boss continues:  "And of course Dr. Simstein has never forgiven you for returning his dire chinchillas to the medieval period after all his work and expense in acquiring them." 
Finally Sandy manages to speak:  "The dire chinchillas don't belong here, in this time and place!  They could disrupt our ecosystem!" 
Her boss replies:  "Yes, yes.  Maybe.  But that's not the point.  The point is, you aren't a team player.  Always wanting to change things.  I spend way too much time dealing with complaints about you.  So, Sandy, you need to clean out your desk and get out of the building." 
Sandy can't believe her ears:  "You're firing me?" 
Her boss just says, "Goodbye, Sandy."

Sandy wanders through the town in a daze.  Unemployed just before Christmas!  What will she do?  She meets someone she knows and tells him her problems, hoping for comfort. 
But Christopher says, "Yeah, that's too bad, Sandy.  Now if you'll excuse me, I think that sweet young thing over there is looking for a dynasty mate."

Rejected again, Sandy makes her way home.  Her little house seems so lonely.  She thinks, "Nobody cares.  Nobody would miss me if I just disappeared." 

So she decides to leave her home in Sunset Valley and go far away, where she doesn't know anyone and nobody will know of her failures.  She sells her belongings, and with her severance pay she manages to afford a little cottage in Appaloosa Plains.

The house is very small, but then Sandy doesn't know anyone and doesn't expect to have any visitors.  Walking into the house, her gaze falls on a Santa doll someone left on the table.

For a moment, the Santa doll feels like a cruel mockery of Sandy's life - alone, unemployed, unwanted at Christmas.  But then Sandy has an idea.  She has a little of her severance money left - why not fix up the cottage, make it attractive for Christmas?  With all the time she has on her hands, she can save money by doing the work herself, and the project will keep her from brooding.  Feeling somewhat energized, she sets to work transforming the little cottage.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: It Happened One Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:48:41 PM »
I'm sure this will be amazing and very festive! I just loved that look on Chris' face, Haha! Also is Sandy an Elder or an Adult with Age Detail?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »
See if Sandy was a dynasty founder Christopher would be all up on that like dip on chips. Great story I look forward to reading more.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Samoht and Ratchie!  I hope you'll enjoy this little tale.

Also is Sandy an Elder or an Adult with Age Detail?

She's an Adult whose sad life has aged her before her time.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »
I really like this story Schipperke!

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • I'm doing an internet! Woooahhh!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »
This looks promising!  :D
Find my builds here. | Last Created; Cubeached
Also, feel free to request a home by PMing me! Always happy to help.

Hey guys I'm taking an extended hiatus... again. I'm out of ideas to build houses and I don't have as much fun designing homes like I used to; it feels more like a chore. So that's where I'll be, I will probably be back sometime. :P

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »
Thanks very much, Seabody and Zapkid!  I hope to do daily updates for the remainder of this pre-Christmas week, so I hope you'll come back.  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:44:30 PM »
Come back? I already have it bookmarked!  :D

Hey guys I'm taking an extended hiatus... again. I'm out of ideas to build houses and I don't have as much fun designing homes like I used to; it feels more like a chore. So that's where I'll be, I will probably be back sometime. :P

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 09:44:05 PM »
Yes! I absolutely love your stories, Schip! I'm so looking forward to this.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
This sounds like it'll be a beautiful story. So far, Sandy seems to be a very interesting character.
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline moonshadow

• Watcher of the Moon.
  • Townie
  • "It's not someday, but today that I change"
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 09:55:24 PM »
Can't wait for the next one. Great job.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 07:36:13 AM »
Thanks very much for the comments, MoonsAreBlue, Gogowars and Moonshadow!  I hope you'll continue to enjoy this little story.

So far, Sandy seems to be a very interesting character.

Do you think so?  Just wait till you meet the next main character in this story!  ;) Later today ...

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Chapter 2

Sandy works hard and soon has the little house looking quite festive.  It reminds her of a gingerbread house she remembers from her childhood.

Now that the renovations are done, Sandy feels at loose ends.  It's less than a week till Christmas and none of the businesses are hiring.  Fishing has always relaxed her, so she decides to go check out one of the fishing holes in her new town.

Sandy is the only one out fishing this afternoon.  The fishing hole is quiet and deserted except for Sandy and the wild horses who warily eye the intruder in their midst.

Suddenly Sandy is startled by a voice saying, "That fish looks good!  Boy, am I ever hungry!"

Sandy looks around but sees no-one but the horses.  She wonders if she's cracking up, when the voice comes again, "Didn't you hear me?  I said I'm hungry!"

Finally Sandy looks down and sees a small black dog staring at her.

Now Sandy is really beginning to think she's cracking up.  She stares back at the dog, unable to believe her ears.
The dog speaks again, "You wouldn't miss one little fish, would you?  To save a poor starving dog?"
Sandy says hesitantly, "You can talk?!"
The dog seems to roll his eyes.   "Well, obviously I can talk.  The real question here is, what use is it for me to talk to someone who doesn't seem to want to hear?  Or maybe you're the sort of mean Sim who likes to see dogs starve."
Sandy responds indignantly, "I love dogs!  And all animals!  I just lost my job because I was trying to help the animals at the lab.  Here, you can have the fish."
She bends down and hands the fish to the little dog, who gobbles it.

Sandy is intrigued by this strange little character.  She asks, "What's your name?"
The dog says, "You can call me Incubus."
Sandy, "I'm Sandy.  Where do you live, Incubus?"
Incubus replies, "I'm homeless.  It's a sad thing, to be homeless at Christmas."
Sandy, perhaps recognizing a kindred spirit, responds, "Would you like to come home with me?"
The dog's mouth opens in a grin and he says, "I thought you'd never ask."

Sandy and Incubus walk off together down the path to the Gingerbread Cottage.  Sandy doesn't look back and doesn't see the grey-suited figure who smiles as he watches them leave.

loveSims

Re: It Happened One Christmas/Chapter 2
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
I love the story! The schipperky doggie is too cute! Can't wait for more. Now I must read you other story ;D

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »
Thanks for the comment, loveSims!  I'm glad you like the story.  Yeah, all Schipperkes are cute (speaking as a biased observer).  But if you like Incubus and would like to have him in your game, he's in the Swap Shop.  As is the man in the grey suit.  ;)

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 01:19:57 PM »
I was wondering when he'd turn up.  :)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »
Is that who I think it is? (I just woke up.)

As for Incubus, I thought "Isn't that that Schipperke that Schipperke put in the Swap Shop?" as soon as I saw it. I hope you gave it the Genius trait. ;)

Offline moonshadow

• Watcher of the Moon.
  • Townie
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
This is getting interresting.  ;)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »
Schipperke,  you cease to amaze me and yes, that man is who we think it is.  I guess he is into all kinds of adoptions, lol.  Great story.  I will definitely keep reading. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
What is Mr Payne doing to the background!

I absolutely love Incubus! I think he deserved that fish!

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
What is Mr Payne doing to the background!

Good question.  All will be revealed on Christmas eve, although probably most people will have figured it out long before then.  :)

Thanks for the comments!

Offline TallStar

• Immortal
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 05:12:37 PM »
Mr. Payne, Mr. Payne just can't keep himself from a good Schip story.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 05:16:48 PM »
Good question.  All will be revealed on Christmas eve, although probably most people will have figured it out long before then.  :)

I've got to ask: Does it have anything to do with Immortals named after dogs, A crazy lady with a wrench, orphans, or two elderly ladies whose only relatives die, so they decide to open a finishing school?

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 05:59:27 PM »
I've got to ask: Does it have anything to do with Immortals named after dogs, A crazy lady with a wrench, orphans, or two elderly ladies whose only relatives die, so they decide to open a finishing school?

I'm speechless!  I've been sitting here for ages just laughing my head off!  Seabody, in just a few perfectly-chosen words you have masterfully summed up all my stories!  I'd put those words in my signature if I had room!  And you've just made me realize that I've had some pretty loony Sims over the years.  Or maybe it would be more accurate to say that my Sims have had a loony writer.  ::)

But I digress.  Returning to your question:

Here's my answer:  "What, you don't think a talking dog is enough?"  Ok, maybe I'll throw in a piece of Fire Cake, just for you.  ;D

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »
Chapter 3

On the long walk home, the little dog pulls Sandy off the path to walk on the side of the hill.

Sandy:  You know, Incubus, the path is there for walking on.
Incubus:  Yes, I know.  And you always walk on the path, right, Sandy?  Boring, safe, predictable, totally unadventurous.  It's time for you to try the path less travelled.
Sandy:  You're quite the philosopher.
Incubus:  All dogs are philosophers.
Sandy:  Maybe so, but all dogs aren't as chatty as you seem to be.  How is it that you can talk, anyway?
Incubus:  It's the week before Christmas.  All dogs can talk in the week leading up to Christmas.
Sandy:  Really?  But I've never heard a dog talk before.
Incubus:  Ah, but you see, Sandy - we aren't like Sims, who chatter on about absolutely nothing.  My kind speaks only when we have something important to say.  So when I speak, you can be certain that it's important and you should pay close attention.
Sandy mutters:  Small dog, big ego.
Incubus:  Pardon?  Did you say something?

Sandy shakes her head, and they walk on.

They arrive home, and Sandy just has to clap her hands with delight over finally having a friend.  He may be a bit odd, but he's her only friend, and she doesn't feel quite so alone any more.

She and Incubus spend time getting acquainted.  He tells her about living outdoors:

She brushes the matts and burrs from his coat:

Incubus supervises as Sandy learns to make dog treats:

Incubus:  Sandy, you're not supposed to eat that!  That's just for dogs!

Now, observe the expression on the face of that little black devil.  Wouldn't you just love to know what he's plotting thinking?

Editor's Note:  I wish I could take credit for the idea of the talking dog, but I can't.  I once read a short story by Margery Allingham, one of the great mystery writers of the Golden Age, in which a dog was granted the miraculous power of speech on New Year's Eve.  It was a long time ago that I read the story, and I'm afraid I don't remember the title or any other particulars of the story, but I loved the idea of a dog being able to talk at this time of year.  Because at this time of the year there should be magic in the air.  And, of course, any dog associated with Mr Payne can be expected to be rather unusual.  ;)

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Re: It Happened One Christmas/Chapter 3
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 02:29:44 PM »
Sighs.  Happily smiling at another Schiperke story and the world's most darling dog.

I love how you decorated the house!  And how did you make that long leash for Incubus?

As for talking animals, there is a legend that because there were animals at the birth of Jesus, God granted them the power of speech for just a short time so they could spread the good news.  It is supposedly the one time of year animals can talk.  We who love animals know they just pretend to not speak our language but actually communicate with us daily.  lol
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
Sighs.  Happily smiling at another Schiperke story and the world's most darling dog.

I love how you decorated the house!  And how did you make that long leash for Incubus?

As for talking animals, there is a legend that because there were animals at the birth of Jesus, God granted them the power of speech for just a short time so they could spread the good news.  It is supposedly the one time of year animals can talk.  We who love animals know they just pretend to not speak our language but actually communicate with us daily.  lol

I never knew that story about the talking animals!  Thank you for sharing that, Joria.

As for the extending leash - I had nothing to do with it.  When they started walking home, Sandy just suddenly had it in her hand.  Magic.  ;)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »
What a lovely Christmas present! Thank you, Schipperke, I've been missing your stories.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
Thanks very much, Marian.  I hope you'll enjoy this little story.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 03:17:31 PM »
Another good story to read! I just love reading your stories Schipperke. I don't always remark, but I am always reading.  ;D

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 03:19:26 PM »
I'm speechless!  I've been sitting here for ages just laughing my head off!  Seabody, in just a few perfectly-chosen words you have masterfully summed up all my stories!  I'd put those words in my signature if I had room!  And you've just made me realize that I've had some pretty loony Sims over the years.  Or maybe it would be more accurate to say that my Sims have had a loony writer.  ::)

But I digress.  Returning to your question:

Here's my answer:  "What, you don't think a talking dog is enough?"  Ok, maybe I'll throw in a piece of Fire Cake, just for you.  ;D

Aw, thanks! And as for loony sims vs. loony writer... I think the Sims are loony.

And, of course, any dog associated with Mr Payne can be expected to be rather unusual.  ;)

This makes me think... can Incubus fly?

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »
Another good story to read! I just l just reading your stories Schipperke. I don't always remark, but I am always reading.  ;D

Thanks very much, Sdhoey!  Glad to have you along for the ride.

This makes me think... can Incubus fly?

Not as far as I know, but who knows what that little devil gets up to when nobody's watching.

What on earth prompted you to ask that? 

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 03:46:43 PM »
What on earth prompted you to ask that?

I have no idea. It just popped into my mind when I read the end of the last chapter.

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »
Incubus has got quite the evil looking smirk!

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: It Happened One Christmas/Chapter 4
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
Chapter 4

Sandy soon learns that living with a dog isn't all fun and games.  The fancy automatic dogfood dispenser that she bought doesn't work, so she has to get up in the middle of the night to put down a bowl of food for Incubus.  She goes back to bed.  A couple hours later, Incubus, who slept earlier in the evening, decides it's time to go and wake Sandy.

Sandy is less than thrilled at being woken before she's ready to get up.  Guess what, Sandy - from now on, the dog will decide when it's time to get up.  No more sleeping in for you, girl!

Sandy:  Why are you waking me up?  I don't have my well-rested moodlet yet!
Incubus:  Time to get up!  We have a lot to do today.  Rise and shine, Sandy.
Sandy doesn't have anything to do today.  Her life stretches in front of her, with nothing to do.  But she's more or less awake by now, so, grumbling, she gets out of bed and goes to take a shower.

After breakfast Sandy and Incubus continue getting acquainted.

As a side note, I think EA did a very good job creating realistic teeth for the dog!  And the paw detail is perfect too.

Soon Sandy and Incubus are best friends.

Sandy:  Why don't I teach you to sit?
Incubus:  Are you serious?  I know how to sit!
Sandy:  Well, what would you like to do?  Play tug-of-war?
Incubus:  Sandy, Sandy.  You can't spend all day playing! 
Sandy:  I don't have anything else to do.
Incubus:  What do you usually do at Christmas?
Sandy:  When I lived in SV, I would tend my garden and then Christopher and I would go fishing together.  That's if I didn't have to work at Christmas.  But now I have no job and no garden.  And Christopher is far away.  Anyway, he's too busy with some Dynasty girl to have time for me.
Incubus:  Then you'll have to find something else to do, Sandy.  There are a lot of unhappy, lonely people at Christmas.  Some of them are poor and can't afford toys for their children or pets.  How about doing something for them?  If you got an inventing table, you could make toys to give away.
Sandy:  I don't know how to make toys.  I've never used an inventing table.
Incubus:  The path less travelled, Sandy!  The way I see it, you can either sit around in your comfortable rut and feel sorry for yourself, or you can try something new.  Which will it be?

And so it comes to pass that Sandy spends the rest of the day in the basement, learning to use her new inventing table and wondering at the strange turn her life seems to have taken.

She watches a bit of television before going to bed.  Notice the program she has chosen.

For many people, Christmas is a time of visiting with friends, old and new.  Sandy has no friends other than Incubus, but elsewhere in the world of Sims, visits are being made.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
Oh wow, what a cliff-hanger.  I can't wait to see what happens next!  Awesome story as always Schipperke!

Offline moonshadow

• Watcher of the Moon.
  • Townie
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »
Can't wait to see what Mr Payne is up too.

Offline ZapKid

• Electronic Enthusiast
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 11:32:05 AM »
Quite the cliffhanger!  ;)
Say, can anyone tell me who the gray-hair man is/was? I think that his name is Mr. Payne... did he have anything to do with Schipperke's other stories?

Offline moonshadow

• Watcher of the Moon.
  • Townie
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 11:54:14 AM »
Quite the cliffhanger!  ;)
Say, can anyone tell me who the gray-hair man is/was? I think that his name is Mr. Payne... did he have anything to do with Schipperke's other stories?

Mr, Payne is a lawyer, he shows up in Riches Galore: The Orphanage Project and The Flowers Waiting for Grim. Both are Schipperke's stories and they awesome.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 12:30:47 PM »
Thanks very much for the comments, Katluvr, Moonshadow and Zapkid!  Yes, Mr Payne gets around.  He can also be found in the Swap Shop, where his biography includes this line: 
His raison d'etre is to help other Sims.

Which may give us an idea what he's up to here!  In any case, the story will be finishing on Saturday - just 3 more installments, so it won't be long before all shall be revealed.  ;)

loveSims

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
Great update! Can't wait for next one :)

Offline Sophie98

• Immortal
  • Awkward Fangirl.
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2011, 04:32:17 AM »
Best. Christmas. Story. Ever!  :D
"The world is not a wish granting factory."
-John Green, The Fault In Our Stars

I have a blog! Please feel free to check it out! http://theatricalteenageramblings.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: It Happened One Christmas/Chapter 5
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2011, 08:57:34 AM »
Thanks very much, loveSims and Sophie.  Here's the next update:

Chapter 5

Sandy may like to watch romances on television, but her dreams are all about her only friend.

And Incubus?  What is he dreaming about?  Christmas dinner, what else.

Sandy has barely had time to finish her breakfast when Incubus asks her:  Sandy, why is there no mirror in the house?
Sandy:  I bought only the things I needed.  I don't need a mirror.
Incubus:  Most people would consider a mirror an essential item.  Why don't you need a mirror?
Sandy:  I don't wear makeup.  I wear the same outfit all the time.  And I don't need a mirror to put up my hair - I've been doing it this way for years.
Incubus:  Yes, and it shows.
Sandy:  Pardon me?

Incubus:  Sandy, everything about you says "I've given up!"  Look at yourself!  Oh, I forgot - you can't look at yourself - you don't have a mirror.  Well, allow me to hold up a figurative mirror and tell you what I see.  I see a woman who hasn't bothered to change her hairdo since the days of the original Sims.  I see a woman who's too young to look as old as she does but who doesn't care enough about her skin to do something about those lines and wrinkles.  And as for that, that - outfit - you wear, it's beyond me why anyone would wear something so awful unless she was trying to win a prize for dowdiest spinster of the year!
Sandy:  You're mean!  How can you be so cruel!

Incubus:  Honest is the word you're looking for, Sandy.  You could be very attractive if you made a little effort.  Why not try?
Sandy:  I am what I am.  New clothes won't change that.
Incubus:  I'm not talking about new clothes alone, although they're definitely needed.  No, I'm talking about plastic surgery.  They can do wonders at the hospital with their new plastic surgery.
Sandy:  Plastic surgery!  Do you know what that costs!  I can't afford that!

Incubus:  Sandy, how much money did I bring with me when I came to live here?
Sandy:  About $14,000.
Incubus:  Yes.  And I'm giving it to you.  It's my present to you.  Now you can afford the plastic surgery, a trip to the spa, and a new wardrobe too.
Sandy:  Well ... I'll think about it.
Incubus:  I know - you'll think about it and think about it and never do it.  The path less travelled, Sandy! Go now.  Or are you too afraid to break out of your comfortable little rut?  Too chicken?

Sandy, hurt and furious, whirls and storms out of the house, slamming the door behind her, as Incubus yells after her:  Get something bright!  No more boring beige and white!

Sandy hails a passing taxi and she's gone. 

The little dog grins and sets about the next part of his plan.  Only two more days to wrap everything up.

loveSims

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
I can't wait to see Sandy after the surgery! Such a clever dog! ;D

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2011, 10:53:56 AM »
This is a great Christmas story .  I'm really enjoying it . Can't wait for the next chapter .
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: It Happened One Christmas/Chapter 6
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments, loveSims and Ladybug! 

Now, in our world it is the day before Christmas eve.  But as we all know, time runs much faster in Sims, and so for Sandy and Incubus, it is already Christmas eve.  And they are busy.  There is a lot to do before the story can end on Christmas morning (their time), and I am committed to finishing this story tomorrow (our time).  Which means there will need to be an extra post here.  I will either put up another one later today or do two tomorrow.  Meanwhile, here's this morning's chapter.

Chapter 6

Sandy is too upset to know what to do.  She asks the taxi driver to just drive around for a while.  How could that ungrateful little 4-legged ingrate talk to her like that!  After she took him in and saved him from starvation!  Maybe she should give him up for adoption.   Or just take him back to the fishing hole and leave him.

But Sandy is a scientist, accustomed to examining the facts logically, and she soon begins to cool off.  Hard as it is to admit it, the mouthy little cur was right.  She has let herself go.  And if she is ever going to get her life on track and feel better about herself, why not start by fixing herself up?  "It doesn't mean I'm vain," she mutters.  "What?"  asks the driver.  "Nothing, nothing," Sandy hastily assures him.  She continues thinking - when she goes to find a job after Christmas, new clothes and a more modern look will only help her get hired.  So really, it's all quite logical.  She tells the driver "Stop here."

Hesitating only slightly, Sandy walks into the hospital.

Meantime, what is Incubus up to?  When the Sim is away, the Schipperke will -- play?

Yes, the poor little guy has been yearning to chase a ball.  There are several dog balls on the lot, but I think the 10 x 15 lot must be too small because he can't play with them.  If all goes according to plan, Sandy won't be home for hours.  Incubus finishes up a few things at home and then heads out to the dog park.

Yes!  Doggie heaven!

Perhaps you've been wondering why Incubus has one brown eye and one blue eye.  Well, it might be because he's a very rare and special little dog.  Or it might be because I made him on the first day I got Pets and didn't realize that I had to colour both eyes separately.   ;)

The afternoon passes quickly.  Soon the shadows are long and little dogs have to leave for home.

Home for supper in the newly-redecorated living room, Schipperke-style.  (Pattern courtesy of Seabody)

And what of Sandy?  Take a look:

What do you think?  I think she looks pretty good.  And it took hardly any work at all in Create-a-Sim.  Very minor tweaking.  All I did was move the sliders slightly, get rid of the age lines, freshen up her hair colour and give her a new hairstyle and very subtle makeup.  I was surprised by how good she looks.  Especially in that lovely obi dress , generously gifted by Katluvr.

That's Sandy's new formal wear.  As she tries on clothes at the Consignment Shop, she mutters:  "He thinks my clothes are dull?  He wants bright?  I'll show him bright!  Aww ... isn't this sweet!"  And she has found her new everyday outfit:

Sandy's spiffy new t-shirt is by Gheez.

Note:  Thanks to Seabody and Gheez for their wonderful Schipperke patterns!  The "Seabody's Schipperkes" pattern is available here:  http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,6281.0.html

And Gheez' Schipperke t-shirt pattern is here:  http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,4460.0.html

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »
Great update !  Love the make over , she looks very nice .  Incubus looks a little naughty playing with his ball .
Looking forward for the next update .
ladybug53's Studio

loveSims

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2011, 11:29:44 AM »
She look amazing! Now just to find the right man for her ... It looks like Incubus have a great time. Can't wait for next update.

Offline Katluvr

• Watcher
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2011, 11:42:31 AM »
Awesome update and makeover - Sandy is so pretty!  Incubus looked so joyful playing at the doggie park.  :)

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: It Happened One Christmas/Chapter 7, the Penultimate Chapter
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2011, 11:14:14 AM »
Chapter 7, the Penultimate Chapter

Christmas eve.  Sandy arrives home at dusk, fresh from her day at the hospital, spa and consignment shop.  Incubus definitely approves of Sandy's new look.  Especially the t-shirt.

Incubus:  Tonight's the night, Sandy.  We need to have a nap now so that after midnight we'll be ready to deliver the toys you made.   By the way, I did a little redecorating while you were out.  I have access to all the latest patterns from the top designers, you know.  Bedspread by Samoht:

[I wish I had thought to do Incubus' bed and canopy too.  But I was too busy marvelling at the effect on the bathroom walls.  Have a look:  Gogowars' Christmas design in the ovals, with Ausette's I Heart T-shirts on the top and bottom of the walls.]

A few hours later, Sandy and Incubus make their rounds, leaving toys for children and pets all over town.

Sandy is hungry when they arrive home and is glad to see the ice cream truck parked in front of the house. 

Smoochies for the best little dog ever!

Sandy:  That was fun!  But I'm exhausted.  Are you coming up to bed?
Incubus:  I'll just have a bit of a chew first.
Sandy:  Ok, but please don't wake me up early, alright?  Just for once, let me sleep in!

As soon as Sandy is upstairs and in bed, Incubus is out the front door.  He greets a friend and then the little dog goes into the house and upstairs to the dog bed.

The conclusion of the story will be up sometime later today.

And a big thank-you to the talented designers who created these patterns:

Gogowars' T-Christmas Freezer, here: http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,6441.0.html

Samoht's Snowmen Galore, here:  http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,8232.0.html

and Ausette's I Heart T-Shirts, here:  http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php/topic,3652.75.html

Sportsfan

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
Haven't commented yet but I've been reading the whole time and I love this story! I can't wait to see how it ends

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »
I'm so excited for the next chapter. This is such a cute story!

loveSims

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »
Awesome update! Can't wait to see the end. :D

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: It Happened One Christmas/Chapter 8, The End
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
Chapter 8

Poor Sandy.  She never gets to sleep in any more.  But this time it's not the dog's fault; the doorbell is ringing.  Who could possibly be visiting this early on Christmas morning?

Well, well.  Look who's come a-calling.  Mr Highly-Desirable Dynasty Mate himself, complete with a brand-new Christmas sweater!

Sandy:  Christopher?  What are you doing here?
Christopher:  I'm looking for Sandy Paws.  I was told she lives here.  ... Sandy?  Is that you?  You look ... different.  Did you do something to your hair?
Sandy says drily:  You're so observant, Chris.  Yes, I did something to my hair.  Among other things.  What are you doing here?
Christopher:  Wow, you look so different!  I came here looking for you.  Are you going to invite me in?

He follows Sandy into the tiny house.

Sandy:  What do you want, Christopher?  Have you come to invite me to your wedding with that Dynasty girl?  Is that it?  Because I've got news for you, Chris - I'm not interested.  You and little Miss Dynasty can go and -
Christopher cuts in hastily:  No, no, that's not why I'm here, Sandy!  Please - won't you let me explain?
Sandy:  Oh, all right, Chris.  But make it fast.
Christopher:  I have to tell you about a strange experience I had.  A couple days ago I was at home, when the doorbell rang.  I went to answer it -

Sandy prompts him, impatiently:  Well?  Who was it?
Christopher:  That's just it!  I don't remember!  Everything for the next couple of hours is a blank.  The next thing I remember is finding myself at L- my Dynasty friend's house, feeling very strange.
Sandy:  Strange?  Like the time you ate 23 flame fruit?
Christopher:  No, not like that.  Strange, like waking up from a dream that's been very real.  All of a sudden, I saw L for what she was - a selfish, privileged girl who just wanted me to paint her portraits and help her achieve immortality which she wouldn't share with me.  And I saw that I had been dazzled by the prospect of fame and having stories written about me.  You know, L asked me to marry her -
Sandy:  That's nice, Chris.  I'm sure you'll both be very happy.  Now, if that's all -

Christopher:  No!  You don't understand!  I turned her down.
Sandy:  You did??
Christopher:  Yes.  Sandy, I know I hurt you, and I'm really sorry.  I know now that I made a terrible mistake when I rejected you.  I took our friendship for granted.  It wasn't until you left SV that I realized what I'd lost.  I've been trying to find you, but nobody knew where you'd gone.
Sandy:  So how did you find me?
Christopher:  After that - vision, whatever it was - two thoughts kept coming into my mind.  One was that I should go to Appaloosa Plains.  So I decided to do that.   And I've been asking around, trying to find you.  Someone told me I should try the Gingerbread Cottage, and here I am.

Sandy:  You said two thoughts.  What was the other one?
Christopher:  I can't quite remember it.  Something about a path -
Sandy:  "The path less travelled?"
Christopher:  Yes!  That's it! ... How did you know?
Sandy gazes over Christopher's shoulder at the little dog having breakfast.  She says thoughtfully:  A very dear friend of mine told me the very same thing.

Christopher:  So, can you forgive me?  Do you think we can be friends again?
Sandy:  I forgive you, Chris.  Yes, we can be friends.
Christopher:  Maybe ... special friends?  I picked up these flowers ...

Meanwhile, several blocks away, a man and a dog are walking away from the Gingerbread Cottage.

Mr Payne:  So, my boy, your first assignment!  How do you think it went?
Incubus:  Piece of cake!  Ten out of ten.
Mr Payne says drily:  No false modesty, Inky!  But I have to admit, your plan does seem to have worked.  One thing, though - won't Sandy think it's odd that her "Incubus" isn't talking any more?
Incubus:  Oh no, I told her that dogs can only talk in the week before Christmas! (And the little dog grins at his own cleverness)
Mr Payne:  Oh, I see.  So next Christmas, Sandy will be expecting to hear her dog talk -
Incubus:  By next Christmas, I think Sandy will be too busy teaching nooboos to talk to worry about why her dog is silent!

Mr Payne laughs and concedes the point.  He says:  Yes, a most satisfactory outcome.  Now, if you think you're ready for another assignment, there's a situation in Twinbrook -

The two friends walk on, chatting, until they come to a fork in the road.  They turn left -

and disappear from sight.

But I heard them exclaim, ere they vanished from sight, "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

It happened one Christmas.  It really did.

A writer long ago penned these words:  "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers:  for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

The End.

Thanks for taking the time to read this story.  May all our lives be filled with the joy and wonder of Christmas, now and always.  And may we have the courage to try the path less travelled from time to time.

Tretya

Re: It Happened One Christmas/Chapter 8, The Ending
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »
Ahh Schipperke, that was so cute! Sandy and Chris make a good couple :)

Offline TallStar

• Immortal
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
Merry Christmas to Inky, Mr. Payne, Sandy, and Chris!

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2011, 04:15:56 PM »
What a beautiful ending !   This was a great Christmas story . Thanks for sharing it with us .
ladybug53's Studio

Sportsfan

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »
What a great ending to a great story!

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2011, 04:46:57 PM »
Wonderful Schip! Christopher's Christmas sweater cracked me up! He looks so cute in it..Haha
I'm so glad that he finally came to his senses :)

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
Such a sweet exit! I never thought my Pattern would be used the way you used it! I looks awesome. I wish you a Merry Christmas!

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2011, 05:07:04 PM »
The ending made me smile so much! What a wonderful, cute little story. :)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
Great story! And yes, dynasty spouses have a rough time of it. (I loved the sweater, too.)
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

loveSims

« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2011, 02:24:55 AM »
What a wonderful ending! Thanks for a beautiful story. :)

Offline Katluvr

• Watcher
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2011, 02:31:49 AM »
I loved your story, Schipperke!  A happy ending just as it should be for a Christmas story!

Offline samoht04

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2011, 06:25:37 AM »
I'm feeling really festive now!  :D Great story Schip!

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2011, 09:31:43 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  I'm very glad you enjoyed the story.  I had fun writing it.  I think Mr Payne and Incubus make a good team -  perhaps they'll take on more jobs together.  ;)

Offline moonshadow

• Watcher of the Moon.
  • Townie
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »
Ah! That was very sweet Schipperke.

Offline Bde1225

• Occult
  • Entertain me!
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »
Oh how I have missed your writing! Even though I was late reading this I loved it. This was brilliant and so friggin cute at the same time. Terrific story as usual. You are my favorite writer on this forum. Every story keeps me hooked from begining to end- and the way you tell the stories is so light and refreshing while still teaching the readers something about life. Looking forward to your next work of art.

Dr. Mingbe DeWooLeHoo<---So I don't forget the name of my fav creation! Lol..I am getting old...

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, moonshadow and Bde!  I'm very glad you enjoyed the story.  It was just a little seasonal diversion, but I did enjoy putting it together.

Offline Teacup Chihuahua

• Occult
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »
I have only just found this story I LOVE IT
 ;D

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »
I have only just found this story I LOVE IT
 ;D

Aww ... Thank You very much!  :D

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
Re: It Happened One Christmas/A Short Seasonal Tale (Completed)
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2012, 05:22:35 PM »
I don't know why I never saw this, but I should've read this a long time ago. Another fantastic story, Schipperke!

Offline SadieHamming

• Immortal
  • Call me Sadie :)
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
I don't know why I never saw this, but I should've read this a long time ago. Another fantastic story, Schipperke!
Agrees, but I know why I never saw this. I wasn't on the forum yet!

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »
Love this! So cute! It makes me think though, Sim time is so weird--if we go off the gestation period, then Christmas should be every four days--a nooboo takes three days to be born, like nine months, christmas is every year--*brain explodes.*
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2012, 06:13:37 PM »
Imagine my surprise, on the hottest day of the year (so far), to come to the Miscellaneous stories hoping for a Mole update and find comments on the little Christmas story I thought was dead and forgotten!  Thanks very much, Audren, Sadie and Ombra.  I'm very glad you enjoyed the story.

Love this! So cute! It makes me think though, Sim time is so weird--if we go off the gestation period, then Christmas should be every four days--a nooboo takes three days to be born, like nine months, christmas is every year--*brain explodes.*

Heh heh.  I think what you're saying is, it may be 6 months exactly until the next Human Christmas, but in Sim time, anytime can be Christmas?  That's a lovely thought!  :)

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »
Heh heh.  I think what you're saying is, it may be 6 months exactly until the next Human Christmas, but in Sim time, anytime can be Christmas?  That's a lovely thought!  :)

I don't know what I'm saying, but I like that thought too :)
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

thesweetestpea

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2012, 09:35:23 AM »
This is most definitely one of the cutest stories I've ever read, Schip. I wish I could write like this, but I'm not good at happy endings. :)

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »
Thanks, Sweetest Pea.  I'm glad you enjoyed the story.  And I'm glad we all have different writing styles - the world (and the forum stories) would be very dull indeed if we all wrote the same!

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »
How did I miss this?! Very cute story!

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
Thanks, jude!  I had fun writing this little tale.

SimBlip

« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »
Very inspiring, Schipperke! I loved the warm wishes in the end. They count for any time of the year and for any time in our lives.
Thank you for writing. :)

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
Thanks, SimBlip!  I had a lot of fun writing this short story, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2012, 10:20:39 PM »
I'm a sucker for a happy ending and can now go to sleep with a smile and a 'Christmassy' feeling.  I'm also wondering if we'll revisit Sandy and Christopher this coming Christmas?  I'm imagining Sandy's house with snow on the roof and a little one awaiting his/her first visit from Santa...

Lovely story, Schipperke.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2012, 10:22:37 PM »
A sequel?  Interesting idea, Gheez.  It hadn't occurred to me, but now that you've planted the idea - who knows?  And just in time for Seasons, too.  Hmmm ... I'm liking this idea!

Glad you enjoyed the story, and thanks for the comment.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »
Oh, that would be so great! This is one of my very favorite stories :)

Offline ilovebakedgoods

• Llama Wrangler
  • I just swallowed my gum.
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2012, 02:57:10 AM »
This was such a sweet, cute, heartwarming story! I need to read your others. I endorse the idea of a sequel!! Would love to see if Sandy and Christopher had any little nooboos and what they'll do for the holidays this year. And what of Incubus?? Where is he now, I wonder!

In addition to being happy I found your story because of how much I enjoyed it, I'm glad I found it because I love that snowman pattern and I can't wait to use it! I love snowmen. Thanks for sharing the link for us to download it, and thanks to Samoht for creating it.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2012, 04:31:38 AM »
This was such a sweet, cute, heartwarming story! I need to read your others. I endorse the idea of a sequel!! Would love to see if Sandy and Christopher had any little nooboos and what they'll do for the holidays this year. And what of Incubus?? Where is he now, I wonder!

In addition to being happy I found your story because of how much I enjoyed it, I'm glad I found it because I love that snowman pattern and I can't wait to use it! I love snowmen. Thanks for sharing the link for us to download it, and thanks to Samoht for creating it.

Incubus?  He has a job as pet therapist at the GO Treatment Centre these days.  (Link is in my signature)

I agree about Samoht's patterns - the one in my story is one of several great patterns he's shared with the forum.  He and other talented pattern designers have given us many wonderful patterns and it's always a pleasure to use them in my stories.

Thanks for the comment, and I'm glad you enjoyed the story.  :)

Offline Magpie2012

• Tony Brooks fangirl - Jupiter Reaper fangirl too - Pippin fangirl ALWAYS
  • Watcher
  • Call me Mags or Steph
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »
The chance of a sequel would be awesome!!! This was such a sweet heart-warming story and right in time for this year's Christmas too! And you have lovely friends to gift you the dress Schip! Exchange rates suck lol
because... Math *Pippin The Most Tenacious Simmer*

Only 2 things are infinite... The universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. *Albert Einstein*

Don't believe all the quotes that have been attributed to me. *Albert Einstein*

I can't ignore ALL of the voices in my head - Some of them actually make sense! *Blayzen*

anything