Author Topic: Union Cove Technical Issues  (Read 312121 times)

Offline aleithaki

• Nooboo
Re: Union Cove Technical Issues
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 06:00:24 AM »
Hi, I'm having the same issue as Xanatos. I don't understand what you meant when you said this: "Have you started the new game or from saved file Union Cove Starter? You should load the save file, not new game."

This is what I have done so far:

I have unzipped the 'save file' which is supposed to make my game work when I don't have all the expansions. When I unzipped the file, I ended up with four separate files (a DAT file, a DATA file, a PACKAGE file and a NHD file). These four files are individually sitting in my folder Documents/Electronic Arts/TheSims3/Saves.

I have also installed the Union Cove world onto my game.

When I start the Sims game, I have an option either to start a new game or to choose one of my previous saved games (I currently have four saved games using Sunset Valley). Union Cove shows up if I try to start a new game - but it always crashes when it has loaded 25%.

Are you saying that a union cove game is supposed to appear in my saved games slots? Because it doesn't.... I don't understand what you mean when you say I should "load the save file, not the new game".

I'd really appreciate an explanation if you have time! Thanks so much for this help.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »
Hi Aleithaki,

Thank you for this detailed post as I can see where is the problem right away :) When you open Saves folder, you should see several folders named the way you named your save files in SV. Open one of them and you'll see several files including those you mentioned that you extracted in your Documents/Electronic Arts/TheSims3/Saves. You should extract entire folder with those files in it - folder is named Union Cove Start and should be amont other saved files folders, not just files. Then, you will see the UnionCoveStart save in your main menu and will be able to start the game with it.
In your Saves folder there should be ONLY folders, like this:

Of course, they will have the names of your saved games.
I hope this will help.
New updated version of Union Cove should be out soon so you may want to wait for that one - it will not change much, but some lots will be more functional - fixed spiral stairs, one farm will have better routing for horses, a street light won't sit on driveway, bars will have less professional bars so less NPC 's will be spawned, etc.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »
I've tried with all settings as low as it could possibally go. Had all bad save foulders removed, even tried doing save as. Still gives me error 12.

Dolphinsong -I'm sorry it is not working out for you. How much RAM do you have? And what system you use?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »
Just a tip for if anyone wants to try any solution they can - I solved my random crashing by turning off Verticle Sync in my NVIDIA Control Panel under 3D Settings and now it hardly crashes, seems it only does due to the internet and the game being minimized.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline aleithaki

• Nooboo
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »
Thanks so much, Anushka, that was a really clear reply. I've got the folder in the right place now, so the Union Cove saved game is showing up in one of the loading slots on the main menu. Thanks for your help with that!

However, now it says: "Cannot load this save game. It may have been loaded with expansion packs that are no longer on the system." I own the base sims game and the world adventures expansion pack, and both are working correctly. Any more ideas? I can see that someone else has previously had this issue (on the first page of this topic) but I can't figure out how it was solved.

Thanks for the tip off to wait for the new version, too!

sharordinary

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 08:50:16 PM »
I loaded UC today, I did the prework of downloading the files needed from the link as I only have Sims3, WA, Ambitions and HE Loft Stuff. All of that seems OK and the UC game loaded and is present in my Sims 3 folder and it shows in
Installed Content in the launcher and as a choice for a New Game from the Main Menu. Similar to others who have posted, I have tried 5 times, I have not been able to initiate a new game in UC because the computer stops at 25% and the
'stopped woking' message appears and shuts down the game. In that case I don't think there could be a Saved Game for UC since none has been started. I had these files in WinZip and extracted everything in there to the Saves folder
and these are in my 'Saves' folder. I see all of my games from SV and RV, then then these additions 1a5tf113.dat; Meta.data;Travel IDB.package;UnionCove_Ox00000000.nhd. My system: HP W7 with SP1;Intel R Core:i3 CPU;64bit;
[email protected]  685 GB with 594 free. Is there something I have not done? Do I need all the expansion packs but not all stuff packs, I seem to have seen that in a post.

Offline aleithaki

• Nooboo
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 10:40:52 PM »
Hi sharordinary, I asked the same question on the previous page - look at post #46 where Anushka has answered my question - the file in the save folder is extracted incorrectly. Anushka explains what should be in the save folder in post #46, above.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

sharordinary

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »
Thank you for your reply! I feel like there is hope that I might get to see UC! I read your question and the answer over and over before posting my query.............I cannot connect it to my experience. Not that it isn't the same problem, I just can't make the jump. I went into WE again just now, I see my Sims Saves, I see some files that I listed in my post in each of those games. But I don't know the steps to take next,  it seems like some info might be missing, I don't understand the word 'amont' in the reply to you, and there isn't anything useful to me after that word as far as what I might need to do. If you can give me baby steps on what you did about those files :) I would appreciate it.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »
Hi shareordinary:)

"amont" is meant to be "among" but nevertheless, point is when you download the zip file and when you open it there is one folder - you should extract that folder in your saves, not just files in it. That way you will have the folder named Union Cove Start with those files in it, just like all other saved files are.

To be able to play it you need to have installed UC too, not just to place saved file - Aleithaki, I think this may be the issue in your game ;)

sharordinary

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I can't fully recall at this point, but I don't think I had a choice of a folder, I extracted what I saw. But of course now who knows? I think was my main issue, I didn't know how to find the folder. Is there a way to go back and find the folder somewhere or do I have to begin again and uninstall and reinstall UC? I love playing the Sims, however I am a proficient End User...... and any technical help I get is welcome. (I wasn't picking on the typo by the way, I was just wondering if there was something I was missing out on.)

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »
You don't need to reinstall anything! If you can find where you downloaded the zip file it would be great, but if you didn't saved the file on your PC you may want to download the save file again. Doubleclick on zip file and you should see the folder there as the only file. Dragg it to your Saves and that is it.
There might be other options but if you're as you said "proficient End User" I better skipp so I won't confuse things even more! (not that I'm computer whiz neither :-[ )

I'm testing the updated version of the UC - it is the same minus some little mistakes everyone find during this time it is out and it run easier - at least it seems to me it does, so best is to wait for it if you haven't started playing already :)

Offline Wench

• Llama Wrangler
    • Living Vicariously Through Sims
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »
Union Cove has been running fine for me from the save file (I have all expansions except for Pets), however I've come across a few issues with object placement.

The subway has a trash bin placed neatly to one side of the door, but I'm getting the whole foot stomping, path-finding problem if you try to enter the subway with it there.  Also Norma Jean Mortensson's lovely home appears to have the same problem if you try to use the spiral staircase to get inside (I'm sorry, I've forgotten the name of the lot but I'm hoping you know the one I mean  :-[)

Offline Wench

• Llama Wrangler
    • Living Vicariously Through Sims
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
Another object placement issue:

Upstairs in Ratcliff Hall Country Club, there are 4 chess tables, however 5/8 of the chairs are unusable as they are placed against a wall and the sims can't sit in them.

I should add that I can go into build mode and fix these issues for my version of the world, but I'm trying to help make sure that Union Cove is as professional a job as possible given how much hard work has gone into it :)

Dolphinsong

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Hadn't been able to get online for awhile due to capstone project to update the issue i'm having with the town. I had 4gigs of ram on the laptop (am on a new one now haven't gotten around to installing the game yet on it) and it was only with Union Cave I had the issues with. The towns that came with the core came as well as the expansions all worked fine with no issues, it was only Union Cave that gave me saving issues.

Offline aleithaki

• Nooboo
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 09:46:48 PM »
Anushka - thank you! You said it might not have been installed properly, and I figured out how to solve the problem! The file was called 'Union Cove [1]' because I'd accidentally installed it twice along the way - I had to delete the number 1.

It has now loaded on my computer!! Hooray :-)