Author Topic: A brief description of Twallan's (Nraas) Mods.  (Read 208229 times)

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: A brief description of Twallan's Mods.
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 04:53:53 PM »
Most of the time they need updating. Sometimes they don't though - in 1.39, the resource a lot of Mods are made from was unchanged. Then XML Tuning Mods (which make up a lot of Mods) will not need updating.

I would avoid some like StoryProgression - they might burn out your graphics card if your computer isn't really a "gaming" computer. I would tend to avoid Pure Scripting Mods as they can also burn your graphics card (I think Scripting Mods are those ones, I don't read that area of code).

I can't really explain burning a graphics card, but it's sort of like the graphics card is overworked so it stops working. :-\ Maybe your son can explain it better. :)

Offline twallan

• Townie
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »
I would avoid some like StoryProgression - they might burn out your graphics card if your computer isn't really a "gaming" computer. I would tend to avoid Pure Scripting Mods as they can also burn your graphics card (I think Scripting Mods are those ones, I don't read that area of code).

By that logic the only mods of mine you should use are [ErrorTrap], [PocketProtector], and [SleepFreedom], because the rest are all pure scripting mods. :P

Mods don't cause graphic card burnout, that is a function of the game-engine itself running too high a frame-rate.  You can easily avoid such by using V-Sync options to clamp FPS. :)
NRaas Industries.  Saving Sims games from becoming doorstops since 2009.

Forum Rules

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
By that logic the only mods of mine you should use are [ErrorTrap], [PocketProtector], and [SleepFreedom], because the rest are all pure scripting mods. :P

Mods don't cause graphic card burnout, that is a function of the game-engine itself running too high a frame-rate.  You can easily avoid such by using V-Sync options to clamp FPS. :)

Lol whoops. :P Thanks for pointing that out. I was misreading this quote from mtglady:

Script Mods - These mods can cause an older video card to fry along with your computer too if you are not careful.  This mod actually manipulates the game coding to enable things such as romance and marriage that break the teen rating of the game.  These are usually very dangerous types of mods and can conflict with other mods.

Offline twallan

• Townie
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
Other than video card portion, I would agree with the rest of the quote you provided.

I presume the quote was in reference to [Woohooer], which does indeed manipulate game coding to alter romance and marriage interactions, and up to rating beyond Teen.

They can be very dangerous, and users should only install them if they trust the mod's creator. :)
NRaas Industries.  Saving Sims games from becoming doorstops since 2009.

Forum Rules

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »
I trust Twallan more than most modders. I have no crashes due to his mods and my game is more enjoyable. Can't go back to vanilla. I love chocolate!

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2012, 05:17:14 PM »
I also trust twallan more than most Modders. Other than him, I generally only download from MTS Staff, just to avoid possible errors, since their stuff is usually very high quality.

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2012, 12:48:16 AM »
I got a silly question. If I for example install one of those mods and then I need to update the patch of the game at some later date, do I need to uninstall the mod first, then install the patch? And then when the new updated mod comes out, I install that afterwards? Thanks.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DS Ben Jones: I appreciated your trust over the Masons thing.
DCI Tom Barnaby: Trust, Jones, is something hard to win, easy to lose, and never to be taken lightly.
Jones: William Shakespeare, sir?
Barnaby: No! Thomas Barnaby.
-Midsomer Murders

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2012, 02:10:15 AM »
I got a silly question. If I for example install one of those mods and then I need to update the patch of the game at some later date, do I need to uninstall the mod first, then install the patch? And then when the new updated mod comes out, I install that afterwards? Thanks.

It doesn't matter, really. All of the Mods' resources are contained in the .package file which you have in your Mods/Packages folder. The Patch will not interact with that at all. As long as you rip them out before playing, you should be fine.

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2012, 04:01:42 AM »
It doesn't matter, really. All of the Mods' resources are contained in the .package file which you have in your Mods/Packages folder. The Patch will not interact with that at all. As long as you rip them out before playing, you should be fine.
Thank you Seabody! And what do you mean by "rip them out"?

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DCI Tom Barnaby: Trust, Jones, is something hard to win, easy to lose, and never to be taken lightly.
-Midsomer Murders

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2012, 04:03:07 AM »
Thank you Seabody! And what do you mean by "rip them out"?

I mean, take the Mods out. It's just how I refer to it. :)

Offline Katie123urgreat

• Causton CID
  • Occult
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2012, 04:06:23 AM »
I mean, take the Mods out. It's just how I refer to it. :)
Oh, okay. I kind of skipped the part after rip it out. That would've been a clue.  :-[ Thanks for the quick reply, too.

-Midsomer Murders

Offline Forest_Bear

• Llama Wrangler
  • Simlish Song Addict
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2012, 07:01:41 AM »
I usually dont like using mods but Twallan's NoCD mods has really helped me because no matter how I started the game up (either via launcher or the actual program) I would never be able to play Sims without putting the newest EP disc in.
Im thinking of downloading a few more of Twallans mods if any catch my fancy
Hi Im new! Call me Forest or Boo.

Offline Janna

• Watcher
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 09:46:58 AM »
This is what my computer has, at least this is what I found, so can someone tell me if this is adequate for the mods that Twallan has?

It is a Hewett Packard  If spelled wrong, I'm sorry.

AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 945 Processor 3.GHz  8GB 64-bit  DirectX 11 Radeon HD 5450 is the video card, that is all I know.   

If you need more I can find it out (I think). 

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2012, 10:18:08 PM »
Most mods work on any setup. I would say that you could use any except story progression - at least, until someone like flynn arrowstarr can tell you any better. :)

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
I know I probably said this in an earlier post, but I will say it again, without twallan's mods, my game, even on new computer, would probably not play right.  I have graphics on full and it is amazing.  I can't imagine having hundreds of cars and dozens of stuck sims in my game.  I do not have any lag right now, except for a couple of seconds when the mods are doing their work.  I was so skeptical about mods until I could not play my game and kept finding cars and stationary sims everywhere.  I only use mods that fix the game.  I would never tell someone to install a mod that didn't want to, but if someone has these problems with cars and sims, it would be worth a try to at least see if their game ran better.  I only trust Twallan because I know he updates and takes care of his mods, plus, if I have any questions, I know I will get an answer on his website.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?