Author Topic: Warning: Simport and Custom Content  (Read 10840 times)

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
Re: Warning: Simport and Custom Content
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 04:13:01 PM »
Wow. I'm fine with having CC in my game and I usually get some CC from sims I download from the Exchange (and surprisingly I use it afterward, in my other games), but I don't know if I want it to pile up when simporting.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »
I don't use CC, but I found a CC Sim and outfit in my downloads folder after using SimPort. It seems to me that deleting them and clearing the compositorcache file should be sufficient, but I'm not that knowledgeable about the issue. Is this enough?
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
According to Crinrict (who is a bug fixing expert of sorts), the problem appears to be eliminated when you delete the sim from your CAS bin.  The custom content is not actually being downloaded...it's just piggybacking on the package file that contains the SimPorted sim.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 06:23:53 AM »
Good news, EA had decided to move fast on this issue (and also acknowledge it's a real issue). Here is a statement from SimGuruNelson:

Hi Simmers. I wanted to let you know that we are releasing a Game Update very soon that will provide a solution to prevent any custom, user-created content from being installed in the host’s game when using SimPort. Additionally, this Game Update will ensure any files associated with a visiting Sim are not saved to a player’s system permanently.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are reading all of your posts and will continue to provide solutions as quickly as possible.

Link:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/150/510505.page;jsessionid=F3E7879BF3B406CC7AC3BF39D5941636.015062#7912716
Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Offline Gaelicsunrise

• Nooboo
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 08:34:19 AM »
Thanks, Bella, good for EA to address this so promptly.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »
Yeah, and it's actually a bit of a surprise that they're actually doing something about this now.  Crinrict has been warning about this issue for close to a year now.

Offline sydney511

• Occult
  • R.I.P. Edel - Jan. 14, 1996 - Jul. 02, 2011
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 07:32:07 PM »
I do have some CC (but I'm not overloaded with it, unlike most Simmers out there) so if I do use Simport when I get Showtime I will definitely only use CC-free sims. I only get sims3pack CC anyway, so it's not a huge issue but I'll be aware with that when/if I use Simport.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KirbyAndKat

• Believers Never Die.
  • Immortal
  • Sorry for constant avatar changing.
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 07:37:47 PM »
So what if I have CC patterns from The Exchange installed in my game, but the patterns aren't worn by my sims? Will they still be transfered? I honestly (don't get offended by this message, people) don't get why I saw complaints and worries about CC. You could always uninstall it.

Plus, it's okay to SimPort with me. I just do Trend Anti MicroVirus runs to make sure there's no spyware or anything on my CC.

I tend to have loud opinions. So sorry. I got tons of issues, lol. I can also be found on Yahoo! Answers.
Click here to view the best dance crew: I.aM.Me

Kids Of Cherryblossom Drive: New Drama

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 11:17:58 PM »
Hopefully with this new patch (1.32) this has been fixed. I have yet to find out because it's taking forever to download! Please anyone who can test it let us know if it fixed this problem!!

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 11:55:52 PM »
I honestly (don't get offended by this message, people) don't get why I saw complaints and worries about CC. You could always uninstall it.

I'm not offended.  I just can't believe you'd actually say something like this.

People who don't want custom content in their games shouldn't have to go through the trouble of uninstalling it.  Seriously, as a computer user, you should be able to fully identify with people having things that they don't want installed on their computers against their will.  You use Trend for this purpose, don't you?  To make sure that something's not getting installed on your computer that you don't want?

The reason that there are complaints is that, since this was not intended, it doesn't transfer these items in the same way that they would be transferred if that person had downloaded them.  As a result, you can't just remove it like you would any other CC.  There is a very specific process that you need to follow to remove custom content received this way, and if you don't follow the steps in order, there's a good chance that the custom content won't be able to be removed.  This is quite a bit more effort than you can reasonably expect someone, who doesn't want CC in their game in the first place, to go through for your benefit.

The worries about CC comes from the fact that a good amount of it is corrupt, not made properly, or just rubbish.  Remember the "girldolldressed" incident?  That was a piece of custom content.  Remember the "distorted baby glitch?"  That was the result of poorly made custom content (an adult outfit that was inadvertently authorized to be worn by toddlers).  I also downloaded a bikini not long ago where the mesh was so entirely awful, that it left a gap in my sim's abdomen.  The top half of their body floated above the bottom half, and there was an extremely visible gap between the two.

The other side of the coin is that some of it is too good.  Hair in particular can have a high polygon count and can impact performance if it's used.  Lower spec machines really struggle with these items, and if there's too much in the town it can shorten the life of a computer's graphics card by making it heat up faster than it was meant to. 

And if it's in your game, it's available to townies when they age up.  So even if you don't use it, there's a good chance that someone in town will.

So what if I have CC patterns from The Exchange installed in my game, but the patterns aren't worn by my sims? Will they still be transfered?

This is a question that's been asked before.  The answer is:  no.  When your game builds the simspack file for the SimPort, it only uses what it needs to recreate that sim in a different game. 

Plus, it's okay to SimPort with me. I just do Trend Anti MicroVirus runs to make sure there's no spyware or anything on my CC.

I've never heard of anyone getting spyware or malware from custom content.  That's not even close to the problem with it, as I explained above.  Trend's not going to catch the actual problems with it.

Hopefully with this new patch (1.32) this has been fixed.

Grrrr!  That means my mods are probably outdated.   >:(  Guess I'm going to wait.

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 12:12:23 AM »
Grrrr!  That means my mods are probably outdated.   >:(  Guess I'm going to wait.
Good thing with Twallan though, he is really fast on updating all his mods! Assuming all of yours are his. :)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 12:31:12 AM »
Please anyone who can test it let us know if it fixed this problem!!

Unfortunately, that won't be me.  I won't patch until I know my mods are compatible with it or compatible mods are released in a day or two.   :(

Offline Trentorio

• Townie
  • "Shamo!"
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »
I forgot to remove the patterns from my singer last night before I sent her on tour. Now I feel bad. I was just so excited that she got to go. I also forgot to take screen caps of the awesome performance Katluvr's sim put on.

I am a horrible host and tourer!

I hope it was changed with this new patch but I haven't had a chance to play and wont be able to until tonight.

I can't knock the way people play, but some of that high quality hair just looks absolutely ridiculous.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »
@ Trentorio   

Nothing is actually installed to the hosts game, so if anything did come over with your sim it is easily removed when the host deletes your traveling sim from their game file.  Hopefully the newest patch will take care of this, but it seems to be more of a nuisance issue than a real security issue.

Your sim put on a great show at my coffeehouse!  I have a screenie to send you when I get a chance later.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
Good thing with Twallan though, he is really fast on updating all his mods! Assuming all of yours are his. :)

Yes, I use his exclusively because he makes everything I want for my game.  He seems to already be in the process of doing that.  Although, his progress seems to be rather fast (even for him lol), so I'm guessing that either there wasn't much to upgrade or the patch didn't affect the compatibility of most of them.  ;)