Author Topic: Creating a whole new world  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Seriphina

• Llama Wrangler
Creating a whole new world
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:38:43 AM »
I've just downloaded the Create A World program (Since the website is finally not being mean to me) and have been playing with it for a few hours now.  Mostly, I'm tired of SV and don't like TB at all (It's just depressing).  Has anyone played around with this program that can offer some tips?  So far all I've gotten was what I could find on youtube, which is mostly other people's worlds they're creating that are so awesome but still "in progress" so not available through the exchange.
Insert witty comment here

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Creating a whole new world
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:56:25 AM »
Well first I made this intro here - CAW Article

Now for some tips:

Never aim too big for your world, the smaller it is the better performance and easier to create. Use terrain and paint to add detail, place road intersections first then join them up, that is how Sims will turn at crossroads etc. Plan out what you are building, what style, get and idea of a town you like and just go, trees, decorations and spawners all play a role in CAW so make sure to add enough of those for a functioning world where collectors can work.

If you want a good neighborhood then you can go to the Sims 3 Exchange (Worlds) and filter the worlds to 'Recommended' and 'All Time' that will give you some good quality worlds.  ;)
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seriphina

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:01:04 AM »
I did that and got one that was based on Paris and downloaded it, only when I loaded it I found they did a fantastic job of placing roads and such, but the lots were really spaced out, the sims couldn't walk along the natural beaches or add a lot there, and there was no vegetation what so ever.  As such, I have little faith in what people on the exchange consider "recommended"

Offline Seriphina

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 04:02:40 AM »
Oh, and though I did see both your article, and the one from EA, neither really told you how to use the tools, layers, metadata and so forth to actually successfully create a world.

Offline Zylphe

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:52:53 PM »
Watch this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82j_YJ01Bac

It's about 20 minutes total for both parts, but if I remember correctly, it explains how to use all the tools you need in Create a World.

Other than that, I recommend turning on the gridlines and paying attention to those when placing your roads and lots.  It makes every SO much easier to line up and to place your lots on the edge of the road.

Offline Jonna

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 05:00:25 AM »
Have patience and a trustworthy mouse!  I built a tiny world this afternoon and it loads up so quickly that I don't even mind that I could only fit in five or ten residential lots.

Offline Seriphina

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 06:05:12 AM »
I wouldn't mind that at all either, since I don't play a ton of families at once.  I think I'll try a tiny one to start, then go for a larger one which will take a long time anyway and won't be done by the time the expansion comes out  ;D  Now I have to figure out all the kinds of lots I want to fit in there!  Maybe I'll upload it when it's done  ;)

Now I just need to think of a theme  ::)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 04:33:19 AM »
@Seriphina:

You mentioned Sunset Valley and Twinbrook in your original post.  Do you not have Riverview?
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

anything