Poll

Vote for the best Goth renovation or restoration!

intl_incident - New Goth Manor
11 (15.9%)
ladybug53 - Goth Manor
5 (7.2%)
Decima - Renovated Goth Manor
5 (7.2%)
Agneza - Modern Goth Manor
11 (15.9%)
Joria - Goth Manor Renovation
13 (18.8%)
samoht04 - Mortibelle Manor
13 (18.8%)
Lilygirl - To Bella with Love, Morty
11 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: May 02, 2012, 11:12:16 PM

Author Topic: Building Contest 2012-Long, April: Renovation or Restoration for a Goth  (Read 19484 times)

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
Building Contests 2012-Long, April: Renovation or Restoration for a Goth

You must read the Rules and Instructions Thread first, if you haven't already. Updates have been made.

Your Task:
After the death of his parents, young Mortimer Goth is faced with a dilemma – to restore his ancestral home to its original glory or modernize – all in the name of love. Not a love for his family’s past but for his future, a future that hopefully includes one beautiful young Bella. This is where Mortimer needs your help – you are tasked with either restoring the Goth Mansion to its original glory or renovating it into a modernized masterpiece.

Choose the Goth household at the start of a new game and immediately enter Build/Buy mode. You may evict the original household and download the attached Morty/Bella household for picture purposes (they have enough funds to purchase the lot and require Base Game only).

Specifications:
  • Number of Bed Spaces: for at least 2 Sims
  • Budget: 75,000. Note the furnished price in Build/Buy mode (I have 206,526) and add 75,000, that is your limit.
  • Lot Size: 60x60 (Build/Buy on the Goth lot)
  • Other: You may not add, move, or delete any walls from the exterior of the house or garage. You may change windows, doors, fences, wallpapers, landscaping, roof pattern and type, stairs, etc. of the exterior. Anything from Buy Mode may be changed. You may make any desired changes to the interior.

Optional Specifications:
  • Help Mortimer impress Bella Bachelor!

Your Current Entries: - Listed by Date of Entry and Approval

intl_incident - New Goth Manor
ladybug53 - Goth Manor
Decima - Renovated Goth Manor
Agneza - Modern Goth Manor
Joria - Goth Manor Renovation
samoht04 - Mortibelle Manor
Lilygirl - To Bella with Love, Morty

Remember: Please do not mention anywhere on the forum who you voted for to keep things fair. Thank you to everyone who participated! The contest thread will open for comments after the voting is complete.
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Building Contest 2012, Long: April: Renovation or Restoration for a Goth - April 1, 2012 - April 28, 2012
    Joria and Samoht04!

Congratulations to Joria and myself (samoht04)! We had another draw for the Goth Renovation Contest, our second draw of the Contests I think! You can see Joria's Entry here and download it here. You can see Samoht04's Entry here and download it here.

Joria's Entry
Samoht04's Entry

Joria's Comment:

"Thank you to all who voted for my restoration of the Goth Manor.  I really enjoyed this build although I had to leave it not quite perfect in my eyes.  Ran out of money with all that landscaping!
To me this building has always been a grand victorian lady and deserved to be elegant and bright.  I'm not as good a builder as many here but I really enjoy remodeling so this was right up my alley.

Congratulations to my co-winner, samoht!  I love what he did with his remodel and there are several ideas I'd love to steal! 

Also congratulations to all the other entrants!  There was not one entry I didn't love.  Many were so unique and such a different take on the Goth manor and I know I'm going to be doing a lot of downloading in the future.  Just imagine what SV would look like if each of these entries were there!  WOW!"

Samoht04's Comment:

"A big thank you to everyone who voted for my Goth manor entry! So glad people liked it, I think my favourite part of it was actually the landscaping - I was quite proud of that. As with Joria I also ran out slightly although I do hope it wasn't noticeable! I've not done much remodelling so it was more a case of gut it and start again for me, I found it must more entertaining than I had thought I would and I'm sure I wasn't alone in finding this contest to be fun as well as challenging.

Congrats to Joria on her fabulous entry, I mean what else did you expect from our resident Queen of Renovations! There were such fantastic ideas and styles made with the other entries I'm surprised mine was voted joint-winner as there was such inspirational ideas - some I still can't believe used to be the Goth Manor! Congratulations and a big thank you to everyone who takes part in any way, be it voting, entering or commenting: things just wouldn't be so great without all of you! Thank you again!"

The thread is open for comments now!  ;) I'm open for comments as well! Sorry for such a delay in getting this contest finished off but Lilygirl's nooboo has been taking up all her time lately so she's asked me to do it.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
Me too.  We're supposed to wait till folks ok for comments, right?
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline intl_incident

• You can call me Indy! :D
  • Occult
Congratulations Joria and Samoht04!

Samoht04, I loved, loved, LOVED your landscaping.  As soon as I saw it I thought "Well, clearly I should have spent more time on that part of the remodel because samoht04's is AWESOME."

Joria, I really liked your front entrance and landscaping as well.  Very bright and pretty, which is a big change from the old Goth Manor.

I would love comments if anyone would care to critique my version.  One thing I know for sure is that I need to learn to take better pictures.  Y'all take really good screenshots! :)

Offline Decima

• Townie
I don't think I've been around long enough to have useful critique, but for what it's worth yours was probably my favourite, intl incident. At first I didn't like it, I thought it was too different, too modern and too dark. But as time went on it really grew on me and I think the fact that it is *so* different from the original shows a huge amount of creativity. And as for it being dark, well it's goth, it's meant to be dark! I loved your landscaping the best too. It reminded me of my own style, just better!

I didn't think there was anything wrong with your screenshots, btw.

Mine on the other hand, were awful. It was my first stab at the contest and I had no idea what I was doing. So yeah, I know my screenshots could have been a lot better.  ;D I also think I should've changed the layout a bit more, in retrospect. Any other ideas on where I could improve?

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
There are going to be a lot of folks to comment on so I think I'll break the posts up a bit and do a few at a time and reply in between others' posts.  I tend to be wordy.

First of all my own entry.  It was difficult for me to keep the color scheme and even more difficult to stay within budget.  This house really needed a bottomless budget to be done to my personal satisfaction.  There were so many things I had to leave undone.  I plan on going back into the house and finishing it now that I won't be constrained by budget. lol 

While I love black and red as a color scheme, it is not what I see for this house.  I see it more pastels and soft woods and maybe a bit of marble.  The guest bedroom is more along the lines of what I'd want to see in the house.  A bit brighter and more like some grand old victorians I've met and loved.  Yes, I know victorians often were dark woods and lots of red but others had a much lighter feel to them and that is what I wanted.

May favorite two rooms were the bedroom and nursery, especially the nursery.  I was really pleased with how sweet the red, black and white looked there.  Bright, colorful and very child welcoming.

The hardest rooms for me to do were the dining room and living room.  I agonized over the living room doing it over and over and I'm still not totally happy with it, partly because of having to keep the budget down.  The "gym" was an after thought based on "what on earth can I do with this with very little money left?".  I wanted there to be a hot tub in there but alas, not enough cash.

@Tom:  I absolutely love the way you made the house so very different with the use of brick walls, different window styles and very modern pieces.  The fireplaces were perfection! 

I won't even comment on the superb landscaping because we all know you are the master when it comes to landscape.  Anything I know and do with landscape I learned from you early on and still thank you for all you taught me.

I wish we had more close ups of the rooms because I feel there would be even more things I would fall in love with.  Guess I'll just have to download and see for myself!  Meanwhile, I love, love, love the bedroom!  It feels "comfy", and yet very modern.

One thing that I did not care for was the pool in both the color, (although it goes perfectly with the house and grounds), and where it is right next the graveyard.  I think I'd always be looking over my shoulder to see if the residents ghosts were watching me swim.  I can't think of a different color I'd chose for the pool though.  It really is appropriate, just not my personal fave. 

However, what you did with the graveyard was perfect!  I love the way you made it neat and tidy and a nice place to walk through and maybe have a chat with the family ancestors.  It made it cheerful and homey yet kept the aura of respect and peaceful rest.

Looking at it more closely I have to say the downstairs area is brilliant.  It has a nice flow to it and a great family feel.  I think the newlyweds, if they become newlyweds, would be very happy in this house.

Ok, enough for now.  Next up will be intl_incident who, in my opinion, had one of the most unique takes on the entire project!

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline ladybug53

• Watcher
Congratulations to you both Joria and samoht04. Your entries were just superb.  Love your choice for the house samoht04 and your landscaping , well you wear the crown around here when it comes to that part. Joria , I thought your house had a nice elegant feel to it , also loved your landscaping.

I'm still in the learning stage myself. This was my second entry. Now , I wish I had changed the outside of the house but I really like the looks of it the way it originally was. I could have also done a bit more with my landscaping. I will download it and finish the other things I didn't get to for the contest.

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated. This was a fun project.
Memories have no expiration date .
ladybug53's Studio

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Agneza

• Occult
  • Don't worry be happy...
    • Agneza's creations
Congratulations Joria and Thomas !

Offline saltpastillen

• Watcher
Congratulations and job well done. Staying on budget is almost always the hardest part!

Personally I just loved your creation intl_incident. It was interesting to see such a new vision of how the Goth family should live.

Also liked all the new inspiration for landscaping!

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
I'm good for comments on my build too.

I love how everyone had a very different idea on what the Goth mansion "should" look like for Morty and Bella.

Anybody notice the Easter egg in the picture of Morty and Bella?
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline amyrose

• Immortal
  • Jorja Phoenix
Anybody notice the Easter egg in the picture of Morty and Bella?

Is Bella pregnant? She's wearing one of the base game maternity dresses.

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Nice guess, but no. The Easter egg is that their outfits match their child outfits.  :)

The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
The three most unique and unusual builds in this contest in my opinion, were Intl-incidents', Agnezas' and Lilygirls'. 

@ Intl: Wow!  I absolutely did not recognize Goth manor at all!  That exterior had quite an impact and brought Goth manor from Victorian times to absolutely modern times.  The minimalist interior was lovely, (although a bit dark for my personal taste), well laid out and tastefully done.  I particularly liked the ST panels behind the bed in the master bedroom.  Well done!

@ Agneza:  I have yet to find one of your builds that I did not like but this one I absolutely loved!  The Mediteranean feel to it made the cold and forbidding old Goth manor a thing of the past and brought the sun and warmth and joy to the house.  Even using black, red and white as primary colors there was nothing dark and gloomy about this house but instead it gave a feel of hopefulness and joy to welcome in a new, young family.  There was not one room I didn't love.

@ Lilygirl:  How did you manage to have time with the darling new baby to do this?  Again, a really unique build that turned gloomy old Goth manor into something bright, young and welcoming!  Each room had it's own appeal but my favorite area was the kitchen.  It felt modern, efficient and yet homey.

----------
My No Buy Story

Offline Dextra2

• Ruler-of-All-She-Sees-And Has A Really Big Ego.
  • Immortal
  • You can call me Dex!
Re: Building Contest 2012-Long, April: Renovation or Restoration for a Goth
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »
Don't know if this is it, but Bella's dress is one that preagnet sims wear!  ;D
If a cluttered desk is an indication of a clutter mind, what is indicated by an empty desk?
~~~
That one moment when you realize you've been stalking the same thread for ten minutes... And there no reason why because you're up to date on everything.
~~~
Crossing the Rubicon

The Dark Fae's Quest

anything