The Sims 4: Quick Gardening
Graft and Take Cutting to Get Rare Plants
Taking Cuttings, then Grafting them to existing plants will produce new types of plants, but only in the right combination!
Once you've leveled Gardening to 5, you can begin taking cuttings from plants in your garden and in the wild. These can then be grafted onto other plants. The base plant type determines the type of cutting you get as well as the graft result (so first listed in a plant that has multiple types growing). Having other harvestables growing from a plant doesn't matter, so long as the first one listed is the right type. So a tulip base cutting grafted onto a chrysanthemum base plant will produce bird of paradise.
The base type is what matters, not what else is on the plant. This applies to both grafting and take cutting. The base here is Orchid.
You can take cutting from either type of plant in this list and graft it onto the other. It works in both directions. Some plants grow faster than others, however, so I've listed them in such a way that the one you'll graft it onto is the faster-growing type of plant.
Common Plant Grafting
Why mess with those from seed packets? Well, the new fruit will be of the same quality as the base plant. So you can skip several evolution levels by getting it from grafting, while getting Gardening Skill XP in the process.
- Grape (Common) - Graft Bluebell onto Strawberry
- Parsley (Common) - Graft Sage onto Basil
- Plantain (Common) - Graft Pear onto Lemon
Rare Plant Grafting
- Bird of Paradise (Rare) - Graft Tulip onto Chrysanthemum.
- Bonsai Buds (Rare) - Graft Daisy onto Strawberry.
- Bonsai Buds (Rare) - Graft Roses onto Grape.
- Pomegranate (Rare) - Graft Cherry onto Apple.
- Dragonfruit (Rare) - Graft Snapdragon onto Strawberry.
- Cow Berry (Rare) - Graft Dragonfruit onto Snapdragon.
- Orchid (Rare) - Graft Lily onto Snapdragon.
- Death Flower (Rare) - Graft Pomegranate onto Orchid.
Getting a death flower can be extrapolated by using the above info, but I'll simplify it for you here:
- Graft Cherry to Apple to make Pomegranate
- Graft Lily to Snapdragon to make Orchid
- Graft Pomegranate to Orchid to make Death Flowers
- Harvest the Death Flowers, Plant one, and enjoy unlimited Death Flowers, which can be given to the Reaper by another Sim to save his target from death!
Learn the locations of all plants with our Gardening Plant List here.
How do u tell when you can take cutting because whenever I do it my plants die.
i get orchids from fishing. so i guess that unnecessary?
Simply another method to achieving same results.
I fish the cow plant But, As on June 2020 I can't evolve much, because everething is prety much the perfect quality almost instantly in my garden. I try and try but the result is almost same. I don't know, may be I am not paying attiontion, maybe. I am lvl 10 in gardening btw. The Naturalist reward perk seems far away, almost not reachable. Or there were some changes that Iam not aware of ? Any hints?
If your Eco Footprint goes green then plants seem to evolve magically to perfect. Not sure if this is intended behavior or not but it's pretty annoying.
There are wild cherries at the Landgraab Lot over at Oasis Springs, so head on over, knock on the door and be prepared to CAMP there awhile! You can use the bathroom (just don't shower because that is "inappropriate" - wash hands repeatedly if needed). You can socialize/make friends. You can make food in the kitchen/BBQ. You can nap on their outdoor benches. You can raise skills by cooking, watching TV, playing chess, programing on computer, reading books, etc. Make sure to adjust your "aspirations" to get points for the rewards for whatever activity you are doing. The cherries (and other plants) will ONLY appear only after 5am each morning, but the plants have to mature to the point where the produce can appear, so you need to hang out on the lot for a long time. If you need a cutting as well as the seeds, make sure to harvest first, then get your graft 2nd. This is the same for all plants you want. It takes time for them to appear.
Sims 4 Snowy Escape
Sentiments & Platforms (Free Patch!)
Best Mods in Sims 4
I've created a massive List of The Best Mods in The Sims 4 that should be very helpful to new players and those who have not yet explored modding and how much it can do for your gameplay.
Secrets and Other New Stuff
Nifty Knitting is now available. Learn all about the stuff pack on my guide page here.NEW - Nifty Knitting Cheats
New features in the Sims 4 June 2020
The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Guide
Eco Footprint: How it Works
Neighborhood Action Plans
How to Cheat in Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle
Civil Designer Career
Insect Farms & Bio Fuel
Fabrication Skill in Eco Lifestyle
Juice Fizzing NEW
Traits and Aspirations in DLC
Gameplay Ideas for Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle
Search my Sims 4 Site
Super Sim Checklist + Other News
This is inspired by a new series in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to the full playlist!
I now have a guide page to Tiny Living Stuff where you can learn about Murphy Beds, the new death, as well as the lot bonuses you'll receive if you manage to keep the size of your lot down with this new pack's Tiny Home Lot Type.
Let's Play Playlist
New I now have a guide to Making Super Sims in The Sims 4. Look for a text version within the next 72h. It won't have THAT much more info but it will help out as a checklist.
This was inspired by a series, "Let's Play a Super Sim" in which I start at toddler and gradually take on the major bonuses. Here's a link to each part for people who are interested. You can also see the Let's Play as a Playlist on Youtube.
Latest Videos and Guides
- Sims 4 Ultimate Gameplay Tips Video
- Lot Traits Updated for all DLC
- 10 Objects that Add Gameplay to The Sims 4
- 10+ Mods That Add or Improve Gameplay in The Sims 4
- Spells List Updated & Info on Charge
- Around the World of Glimmerbrook
- Sims 4 Realm of Magic is Available Now. Here’s My Opinion On the Pack
- The Sims 4 Realm of Magic Features Deep-Dive
- Tutorial: Using The Sims 4’s New Stair Customization Tool
Discover University Expansion
The Sims 4 Discover University has been announced for November 15 for PC/Mac and December 17 for Xbox and Playstation 4 consoles. Click to learn more about the pack, see my summary of the livestream or read our FAQs below.
- New Career Law Career
- New Video Discover University Review
- New Video The Sims 4 Discover University Super Student
- New Engineering Career - Mechanical or Computer
- NEW Student Organizations (University Groups)
- Gameplay Features Guide (Robotics, Secret Society) Video
- Updated! Discover University Cheats
- Updated: Degrees Guide now also features a Scholarships List
- Discover University Features Guide
- Education Career - Professor or Administrator?
- Research and Debate Skill - Convince Others & Debate Guild
- Robotics and Cybernetics
- The Secret Society of Britechester
More videos coming soon!