Author Topic: Mods not working  (Read 15997 times)

Offline Meeptay

• Nooboo
Mods not working
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »
Hello :D
I have been on the fence about Mods for awhile, and after going through the message boards here, decided to go for it.
But for whatever reason they don't work. My game doesn't crash or anything, but the Mods just don't work.

I used the framework (I believe that's what it's called?) from ModtheSims, and put it in as such:

Under Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

The animation at the beginning still plays.
I have a Mac with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5, my game is at 1.42, and I used Keka to extract the file.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the framework several times, but nothing.

I just have no idea what I did wrong. I feel like it's something really simple that I just missed somewhere along the lines.

Thank you in advanced :)

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
Re: Mods not working
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:03:49 PM »
Are you putting the mods in overrides or packages?   I put them in Packages.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »
I've heard several people have difficulties modding with Mac computers, so this will probably be a "doh" question for me to ask but I want to cover all grounds - did you check to see if this framework works with Mac? I'm sorry, I'm not trying to sound offensive I just want to cover everything!

Offline Meeptay

• Nooboo
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 06:19:35 PM »
Yes, the mods were in the Packages folder.
And you're not offensive sounding at all, I hope it's that easy. I don't know? I'm trying to find one that is for Mac, and can't come up with anything.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »
All mods so far for me have been Mac compatible because they are .package files not .exe or anything like that.

You did clear your caches right? 

Oh and the animation at the beginning will play unless you specifically have the package that is named nointro.package

What mods are you trying to use?  I've used them before on my mac.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Meeptay

• Nooboo
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:52:30 PM »
Yeah, I've been trying to use the ones that come in the framework, so the nointro.package & the nobuildsparkles.package.
(Which doesn't work either).

I've cleared my caches, but I went through and doubled checked everything just to be sure, and still nothing ):

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
Other than those two, have you tried any others?  I wonder if those two have to updated like other mods so they may not work because of a game change but you never know.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Meeptay

• Nooboo
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »
I've tried Twallan's MasterControl mod, the base version for 1.42, which is NRass_MasterContoller.package, and it doesn't seem to work either. Even with removing the other two, and only trying that one (The MasterControl) :/

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33:10 PM »
I never have an overrides folder just a packages folder so I wonder if that has to do with any of it.  Sorry I cant seem to help you more. 

You don't even get the pop up when the game loads that mastercontroller is installed?

Offline Meeptay

• Nooboo
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »
I don't think it does anything? There isn't anything in it. And it's okay.

But no, I've never even gotten a pop up about the mod.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 10:38:59 PM »
I never have an overrides folder just a packages folder so I wonder if that has to do with any of it.  Sorry I cant seem to help you more. 

If you have an overrides folder, and two Mods that conflict, a Mod placed in the Overrides folder will have greater priority and get loaded, whereas the other will not be loaded at all. Note that for this to work, you need a special resource.cfg file.

@Meeptay - welcome to the forum!
Can you remove the two MTS Mods, and just run MasterController? Tell us if that affects anything.

Offline Meeptay

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 10:58:50 PM »
And I've tried running just MasterController, but it doesn't do anything either.

Offline LivvieLove

• Queen of Mush
  • Watcher
  • "Sh! Be quiet! The nutters are out to get me."
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
I don't run Mac so this is a difficult thing for me to judge. I've looked into a couple other Mod the Sims forums and it seems that your mods are not meant to go in the Documents section at all... it's meant to go in: /Applications/The Sims3.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3

as sited by: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/38922.page This page.

Forgive me, I may not be the best help but it couldn't hurt to try!

Edit to add: I found this wikihow which backs up what I heard about it not being in the documents folder: http://www.ehow.com/how_5338241_install-custom-content-sims-mac.html

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »
Please do not put your Mods folder anywhere but in

Mac OS: /Users/<username>/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/

Anywhere else can mean your mods will not work, and it will be a pain to clean that up and get it all sorted again.

Lots of times, when people have the same problem you have, their computer actually thinks the Resource.cfg is a text file so the Resource.cfg doesn't get read. Are you sure you can see all extensions on your computer? If not, try showing extensions. Also, try renaming your Resource.cfg to Resource.txt and then back to Resource.cfg.

Alternatively, delete your Resource.cfg and download this: http://skuld.modthesims.info/Resource.cfg
This resource config is NOT properly set up to use an Overrides folder. You can learn how to do that here (it's very easy): http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php?topic=1513.0

Finally, if you still can't get it to work, Try posting ta the NRaas wiki, in the Chatterbox. There are a number of helpful mac users there, so they can help you out.

Edit: one more thing, a mac user has asked me to ask you: Have you enabled custom content in the Launcher?

anything