Author Topic: Installation of Generations not working  (Read 8574 times)

Offline Bluebonnet

• Llama Wrangler
Installation of Generations not working
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:01:55 PM »
I always seem to have trouble with updates and the EADM. I've downloaded the Generations expansion this evening and it's ready to install. When I try to launch the installation I get the error message "Please use the Sims 3 Launcher and update your version of the Sims 3 before installing this product." My launcher is set on automatic update but I double checked and is tells me that my version is up to date. It's version 7.0.55.010017 (for PC). I've rebooted my computer in the meantime - still the same problem. I tried to contact EA support via life chat and when submitting my question I'm thrown out with the error message of "Illegal Parameter"  ??? I'll email them but I was hoping one of you would have an idea what else I could try.
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
Re: Installation of Generations not working
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:08:58 PM »
Hi Bluebonnet, welcome to the forum!

I'm having the exact same problem.  From what I can gather over on the EA forums this may be because EA hasn't released the patch electronically yet, however this is unconfirmed information (meaning that it is coming from other members over there and not from a SimGuru directly).

Unfortunately I had already done a manual uninstall of my game, thinking this might be related to my recent download of some third party CC and not realizing it might actually be an error on EA's part.  I'm waiting for my base game to download again from the EADM and should know in about 2 hours if an uninstall will fix the problem or not.  In the meantime all I can suggest is to wait and watch the EA forums for any information from a SimGuru.  I know it doesn't make the situation any better, but at least we aren't the only ones experiencing this problem.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Bluebonnet

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »
Hi Katluvr - thanks for the quick response. Guess I wait then  >:( BTW I don't have any third party CC installed and quite honestly don't want to go through the trouble manually uninstalling - that gave me a headache with World Adventures. I tried to email EA support - they require to fill out a "form" with questions to Internet connectivity - only problem is, all the required fields with radio buttons or drop down lists don't work - hence I couldn't submit any question via email either. Honni soit qui mal y pense.

Offline Tommyo3000

• Occult
  • The name's Piglet. Harry Piglet.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:27:53 PM »
I use the digital download too. I have downloaded lots of CC so I thought that may be the problem but maybe not.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:45:07 PM »
I'm cautiously optimistic.  After 8 hours of uninstalling, re-downloading from EADM, reinstalling, patching and finally installing Generations, I might be functional... *fingers crossed*

I would like to temper my previous support for EA going digital...   :-\

UPDATE:  Usuing the manual patch link http://help.thesims.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5269/ seems to have solved the problem and I suspect I didn't need to go through the trouble of uninstalling and reinstalling.  I'm happy to say that after I reinstalled and applied the patch manually, I copied my back-up files over and everything appears to be present and in working order.  I haven't had a chance to play for any length of time yet, so I can't say for sure, but it is looking pretty good.

Offline mysticmirror

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:22:59 AM »
Just for some more information...I bought the physical copy and it downloaded and installed a new update the update is 8.0.152.011001. And it just did another update when I clicked my launcher and it is the same update.

Offline MomOfMany

• Immortal
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:09:15 AM »
I had a problem with my launcher as well when I installed Generations! But instead when I clicked the play bottom it wouldn't do anything at all but I was able to get it working when I did it without going through the launcher so maybe that would work for you as well!! Here are directions for doing so...http://www.carls-sims-3-forum.com/index.php/topic,1186.0.html

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Bluebonnet

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:37:09 PM »
I was able to fix mine - I got that stand alone patch, did this first and then the Generations installation after that. Works. Mind you, I tested it was still running before I installed Generations  ;D

anything