Author Topic: Service initialization failed (0x039e8474)  (Read 26834 times)

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
Service initialization failed (0x039e8474)
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:07:05 PM »
So, I got some new EPs and SPs for my birthday today, uninstalled my Sims 3 and Sims 3: Ambitions and did a complete reinstall, in order, and updated to the most recent patch: 1.24 The EPs and SPs I have installed are: WA, HELS, AMB, OLS, LN and FLS, and I will be getting Gen next week.

However, after registering my WA game on The Sims 3 site and attempting to install my free registry gifts I got this error:

Unable to start your game
Service initialization failed (0x039e8474)

I googled it, and I found something that said it could be that I have ran out of space on my laptop. Could this be it? I checked and it said 10 GB left out of 67.1 GB which kind of scared me considering my one saved file (my legacy, which I have two files of) is nearing 1GB on it's own..

I don't know what else it could be. Do I have to reinstall again? I tried to restart my laptop, too, but it made no difference. Also, when I click the play button in my launcher, it says there is no disc when there is, and it asks for WA. Shouldn't it be asking for the Fast Lane Stuff disc, the last pack installed?

I am absolutely gutted at this. Have I destroyed my game? If not, how can I fix this? I'm assuming it'll be a complete reinstall, again?

CarlosLordofTacos

Re: Service initialization failed (0x039e8474) Please help!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
Do you think it's the WA disk or the free gifts that is causing the problem?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »
Do you think it's the WA disk or the free gifts that is causing the problem?

I haven't a clue. I didn't bother with the gifts, and tried to play the game and it asked for WA.. (I had the FLS disc in as I assumed it'd ask for that seeing as it was the last pack installed), so I put the WA disc in  and it said no disc found! :( It could be.. I'm trying to reinstall now. I'll see how it goes. If it's still the same, would you recommend I do it digitally, with the serial numbers?

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 02:52:24 PM »
Also, when I click the play button in my launcher, it says there is no disc when there is, and it asks for WA. Shouldn't it be asking for the Fast Lane Stuff disc, the last pack installed?

Yes, it should, so this could indicate that some of your games have not been installed properly. I also did a quick google of this error and it seems it can be caused by corrupt entries in the registry.

I would recommend you do a complete manual uninstall of everything. See this thread:

http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2232/kw/patchpage/showhome/true

It's especially important that you delete the registry keys as described, since that may be the problem. When you've uninstalled everything, reinstall the way they describe it, that is: Install the base game and patch it before going any further. The above thread has a link to download the patch directly without the launcher. Just save it to your desktop and double-click it when you're ready to patch. Also open up the game to see if it works before you install the rest.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »
I don't have a clue either, but you should have the OLS disc in the disc drive sprung it came out the latest of all the packs in your list. Good luck. ;)
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
Yes, it should, so this could indicate that some of your games have not been installed properly. I also did a quick google of this error and it seems it can be caused by corrupt entries in the registry.

I would recommend you do a complete manual uninstall of everything. See this thread:

http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2232/kw/patchpage/showhome/true

It's especially important that you delete the registry keys as described, since that may be the problem. When you've uninstalled everything, reinstall the way they describe it, that is: Install the base game and patch it before going any further. The above thread has a link to download the patch directly without the launcher. Just save it to your desktop and double-click it when you're ready to patch. Also open up the game to see if it works before you install the rest.

Thank you. :) Erm.. sorry, I'm a tad stupid at technical stuff, but how do I delete my register things?

Err, so FLS wasn't the latest? Oh, I am so silly!  :-[

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
Fast Lane was released in September 2010, Outdoor Living in February 2011.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »
Thank you. :) Erm.. sorry, I'm a tad stupid at technical stuff, but how do I delete my register things?

If you follow that link in my post there are links describing how to uninstall each game manually. It will be described there, it's slightly different for each game.

I don't have a clue either, but you should have the OLS disc in the disc drive sprung it came out the latest of all the packs in your list. Good luck. ;)

Oh right Chronic, I missed that. Fez, if Fast Lane was the last one you installed then that may have caused the problem because it's not the last one released. The proper install order is here:

http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2693/showhome/true

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
Fast Lane was released in September 2010, Outdoor Living in February 2011.

Oh! Well that must be our problem then! I installed FLS in OLS's place! Oh, silly me! :( I am currently attempting to reinstall (erm.. manually means you follow the on-screen instructions that come on when you insert the disc, right?), then I plan to patch to patch 1.24 and then try to see if the game works, and then install WA, etc.. in order. I suppose I should try and check that the game works in between discs, too?

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
manually means you follow the on-screen instructions that come on when you insert the disc, right?

Nope. It's the un-install which should be manual. "Manually" means that you need to delete all the files and stuff in various places yourself instead of letting the uninstaller handle it. That's why you need to follow the directions in my linky^ to make sure you delete the right things.

But if you've already uninstalled and are installing again, just go on with that and see if it works. If it doesn't I'm afraid you need to do it the hard way.

I suppose I should try and check that the game works in between discs, too?

That's probably what I would do, just to see that each game works.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 03:15:46 PM »
Nope. It's the un-install which should be manual. "Manually" means that you need to delete all the files and stuff in various places yourself instead of letting the uninstaller handle it. That's why you need to follow the directions in my linky^ to make sure you delete the right things.

I have a legacy I want to continue.. would this mean I have to delete that? :-\

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 03:20:46 PM »

I definitely don't think so. Just back it up somewhere else and (I think) you're fine.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »

No, it's not your own creations, just back those up like Chronic says. It's all the program files and such that needs to be deleted. It's the same things the automatic uninstaller deletes, it's just that it may not get everything and that can cause problems.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
No, it's not your own creations, just back those up like Chronic says. It's all the program files and such that needs to be deleted. It's the same things the automatic uninstaller deletes, it's just that it may not get everything and that can cause problems.

Ahh.. I see. Thank you, PJ and Chronic and Carlos. I'll see how this reinstall goes, as I suspect it was the wrong order that caused my problem. Sims 3 and patch 1.24 are installed and are working fine, now installing WA. Fingers crossed!

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:31:21 PM »
Ahh.. I see. Thank you, PJ and Chronic and Carlos. I'll see how this reinstall goes, as I suspect it was the wrong order that caused my problem. Sims 3 and patch 1.24 are installed and are working fine, now installing WA. Fingers crossed!

Be sure to do it accordingly this time ;) -

Base Game => WA => HELS => AMB => FLS => LN => OLS

Good luck!