Author Topic: Moving game to new computer without disc?  (Read 20960 times)

sandra03

Moving game to new computer without disc?
« on: August 30, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »
Hi there. I just swapped everything over to my husband's laptop cause my desktop is dying. I have the base game and ambitions on disc but I can't find the discs for World Adventures and High End Loft stuff pack but would like to move them over too. I never got around to registering them to the downloader. I got my saved games moved over ok and I found the folders for the EP and SP, copied them to an external hard drive, then onto the laptop into the right folder, but I can't figure out how to install them from there. I don't see a setup or install file in either folder. But I can't access one of my saved games at all because of the missing EP. The other one is there and I can access it but I think I'll be missing some stuff. I wasn't playing that one anymore anyways though, it's the one I can't access that I'd like to get into.
Help!

All else fails I can maybe borrow the discs from someone but we don't live very close to each other and she's super busy so it would be a while before I could get them from her and I kinda wanted to play today since I have the day off for a change. Thanks.

sandra03

Re: moving game to new computer without disc?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »
Oops, forgot to mention I run PC, I think it's Windows XP. Thanks.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline PJSim

• Immortal
  • It's a girl!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »
...I found the folders for the ep and sp, copied them to an external hard drive, then onto the laptop into the right folder, but i can't figure out how to install them from there.

I assume you mean the folders in Program Files? There's no reason to copy those; you can't install from them and they don't work without the correct entries in the registry which the installer makes. You need to install from the disc, a copy of the entire disk or a digital download.

If you no longer have the disks, I recommend registering your games in Origin (get the latest version here) which will give you a digital download copy of the games. Then you can install from that.
You need the serial numbers from the box or manual to do that; if those are also missing you can find them on your desktop if the games are still installed. Check this topic to see how to find them:
http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=685.0

sandra03

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:54:27 PM »
hmmm ok thanks =/

anything