Author Topic: Strange files in Sims 3 folder  (Read 15479 times)

Leto85

Re: Strange files in Sims 3 folder
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »
I removed mine and put them in a folder for the time being on my desktop.  I started my game and have no problems, as of yet. 

And how long where you doing this?

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 09:44:20 PM »
I have those also, except the name is HoeyFamily, but I right clicked the one underneath and opened with notepad and it does have something to do with errors in the game. I found one that had to do a problem I had with an imaginary friend. I'm would also like to know about deleting these.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 10:01:36 PM »
I have those also, except the name is HoeyFamily, but I right clicked the one underneath and opened with notepad and it does have something to do with errors in the game. I found one that had to do a problem I had with an imaginary friend. I'm would also like to know about deleting these.

How can you tell what problem the error was associated with? Like, how would I know if my error was also related to an Imaginary Friend?

Sportsfan

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 10:40:56 PM »
I have some of those. They aren't recent at all though.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 10:44:45 PM »
I have some dated 12/09/11. Which is most likely when my game had some really strange error (It was around then), so that fits with the theory, though I'm not prone to crashes.

Offline Jancy

• Occult
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 11:18:25 PM »
And how long where you doing this?

First time tonight after reading this thread.

I also found this thread here  http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=463.75
2nd post from the bottom by mtglady mentions they are safe to delete.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 11:20:28 PM »
I know I have a recent case of issues with my game but previous to my current issues - I was always able to get rid of the files from the Sims 3 folder without any problems to my game.   They are just a record of the crash/error/problem occurring.  A record you can choose to keep if you want or not want.   A lot of times when you ask for help from EA they require you show that record but not always.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 07:05:07 AM »
How can you tell what problem the error was associated with? Like, how would I know if my error was also related to an Imaginary Friend?

When I opened it in notepad it this was part of huge long list of stuff, but my problem was the IF Peanut, was doing weird things, when the girl would go to school or to bed, the doll vanished. Then I one morning after the bus came I started seeing a child sim just outside the yard by yard. Just standing there. He never moved. I move the curser over him, and his name came up. But I wasn't able to click on him. When she came home from school the IF "came to life" and the boy vanished. So after a few sim days of watching this happen, I was just going to delete the doll, but she, on her own told him to go away and leave her alone. He disappeared and came back, but his panel pic was still there.

This report thing is the time frame of that error happening.. with the affected party.

-- Script Errors --

Peanut Minter
Sim-Time: Fri. at 8:14 AM
Real-Time: 10/15/2011 15:45:47

System.NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required.

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Those files are indeed bug reports. "xcpt" stands for "exception". The game generates them whenever there is a problem, but doesn't use them after. So they can certainly be deleted safely. The only occasion you might want to use them is if you contact EA tech support. Sometimes, they ask you to send them over for analyze.
Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Leto85

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
First time tonight after reading this thread.

I also found this thread here  http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=463.75
2nd post from the bottom by mtglady mentions they are safe to delete.

Okey, than it is indeed good. :) I've rememberd that I've read something like that before. Probably that same topic.
Thanks for linking.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 09:27:54 AM »
What about script error files? Can those be deleted also?

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
@sdhoey

I don't have anything titled Script Errors, but I do know that my problems are not Imaginary Friend related. However, I have had the problem you're describing.

The only two things I can find that might be of help are these. I don't know how to read these, though.

[Exception info]
date: 2011-10-22
time: 13.54.57
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000011
address: 0x6f169ed6 "C:\windows\system32\d3d9.dll":0x0001:0x00048ed6

[Instruction data]
6f169e56 => DasmX86Dll.dll not found.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 12:20:46 PM »
I can give evidence that they are Crash Reports. My Dynasty crashed yesterday, around 2pm, I know that because I remarked that there was nothing on TV on a Sunday at 2pm after it crashed.  :P Anyway there is one of these files with yesterdays date and roughly the same time of 2pm, so that would fit the theory.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Leto85

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »
Like I thought. :)

So these are the files EA was revering too after asking the gamer if he/she was okey with that EA would collect data from the gameplay?
Otherwise I can't think of any other reason for it's existence.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
Like I thought. :)

So these are the files EA was revering too after asking the gamer if he/she was okey with that EA would collect data from the gameplay?
Otherwise I can't think of any other reason for it's existence.

I usually make sure that's unchecked. But I may have overlooked it since my last factory reset. I'll look to see if I have that enabled.

anything