Author Topic: The Wood Household Skills Project - updated 25 August  (Read 21809 times)

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: The Wood Household Skills Project
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »
Chapter 19: Ghosts, Zombies and Gnomes

Almost as soon as she’d left the party, I got a pop-up message to say that Laurel had died – she probably didn’t even have time to get home.  There hadn’t been a notification that she was running out of time, either.  Oh well, at least she had a happy last day with her family.

An hour or so later, Jack reached level five of the political career and achieved his lifetime wish.  (Yeah, missed that too – I had the camera on Ash, having just realised he hadn’t joined Shop Club yet.  I really want to explore everything with this family and he seems the best candidate for that particular after-school activity.)

Holly spent the evening in the hot tub, despite the zombie that wanted to attack her.  I have the distinct impression that she enjoys frustrating them.

The next day, she went to the mausoleum to collect the tombstones of the family members, human and canine, who had died since she moved to the gingerbread house.  Oddly, Thomas (né Castor) was missing, although he should have died long before and Sequoia had a new fiancé.  The poor man seems to have suffered a total existence failure.

She revisited the old house, hoping to lay them to rest with her parents but found she wasn’t allowed to do that (fair enough, I suppose – the new owners probably wouldn’t like it).

So she took them home instead.

(There are actually a lot of graves there but Bambi’s is barely visible and all of the dog tombstones are hidden under the snow.)

The twins came out to haunt early the next morning.  Rowan was no trouble, watching the TV and cooking, but Laurel and Jack’s shared flirty trait meant that they got on altogether too well.

Ash was quite upset – although it didn’t stop him finishing the fireplace upgrade and completing the Tinkerer challenge.

The ghost dogs were also proving to be a problem.  Ash was kept up late two nights in a row because one of them was sleeping on his bed.

Eventually, I put all of the tombstones into the family inventory.  They can come out again when it’s time to move.

The next full moon brought another zombie to annoy.  This time, Jack joined in.

Ash became captain of the shop club and his proud parents attended his awards ceremony.  Like any self-respecting teenage boy, he looked embarrassed to be seen with them (although he has a point, in his mother's case).

He supermaxed handiness the day before his young adult birthday, when the gnomes obligingly broke the telly.

Jack decided it was time to retire and spend more time with Holly, who was now well into her nineties.

Advancing age hasn’t made her any saner – in fact, she now looks madder than ever, thanks to the leaky-clothing glitch.

They celebrated the start of Jack’s new life of leisure in their favourite way.  There weren’t any zombies around, so they had to settle for embarrassing a gnome.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
Re: The Wood Household Skills Project - updated 27 May
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
Flirty ghosts, what trouble! They always are going after the married men, they are!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2013, 04:14:06 AM »
Flirty ghosts, what trouble! They always are going after the married men, they are!
I think she probably started it but I'm not at all sure.  I'd caught Jack flirting with other women a couple of times before this.  He and Laurel have three* traits in common, so it's not at all surprising that they're attracted to each other.

*Edit: only two, in fact.  I thought Jack also had commitment issues.

Also, I just noticed Laurel's feet in that screenshot where they're dancing together - it's an interesting choice of dancing shoes :).

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2013, 04:26:59 AM »
I like how the gnome is covering its eyes in the last screenshot! Congrats to Ash on super maxing Handiness. Holly is looking very snazzy with patterned legs!
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful Sims 3 creations

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2013, 05:12:33 AM »
I like how the gnome is covering its eyes in the last screenshot!

Me too :D

Holly is looking very snazzy with patterned legs!
In fact, her legs were already patterned  - she was wearing tights, although I think the stripy ones used to be opaque.  It was the way it spread to the rest of her body that was freaking me out.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2013, 05:23:35 AM »
Chapter 20: Goodbyes

Ash celebrated his birthday quietly at home with his parents.

Oh dear, Ash.  That hair really doesn’t suit a would-be military man.  Let’s get you to a mirror and…  NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ash had only just finished sparkling when Holly started.  Bizarrely, her husband and son didn’t even seem to notice.  They just carried on with the cake and cheering, even when Grim appeared.

Finally, the penny dropped.

Rest in peace, Hol.  You’ll be missed.

After all the chaos, it was growing late by the time I finally got Ash to the mirror and dresser.  He turned out pretty well.

Ash graduated as valedictorian and Most Likely to Get Electrocuted.  I don’t think so, somehow.  Of course, his graduation wasn’t the happy occasion it should have been.

After the ceremony, he went to the military base and signed up.  He’d wanted to be an astronaut since his early teens.

Jack never really recovered from Holly’s death.  He’d sometimes spend whole days in the hot tub.

Fittingly for a former party dancer, he was dancing when Grim came for him, a week after Ash’s birthday.

Ash was out at the library working on his charisma and arrived home just too late.

There was nothing to keep him in Twinbrook – Sequoia had died a few hours before Jack.  So he fetched her gravestone and placed it with the others, next to his parents’ trees.

(The original Holly had a normal tree, although there’s nothing in the game that looks all that much like holly.  I felt this one deserved something a little more… unusual.)

Then he drove off to start a new life in a new town.

House 4 summary
Skill: handiness

Jack
(Traits: flirty, rebellious, clumsy, party animal, artistic)
LTW: Jack of All Trades

Ash (heir)
Traits: brave,  loves the cold,  perfectionist,  handy,  supernatural skeptic* can't stand art
Career and lifetime wish to be finished in the next house
Supermaxed handiness
Building/property: Bachelor Stadium
Unique rewards: Born to Cook, Fearless Voyager

*My game became seriously buggy just after Ash became a young adult (Error 12s all over the place), so I've reinstalled from scratch.  I was finding Supernatural rather irritating, so I omitted it on the reload and have changed his final trait to avoid compatibilty problems.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »
Chapter 21: Benvenuti in Monte Vista!

I was originally going to move Ash to Riverview but decided I’d played there too much recently and wanted to try somewhere else.  It’s not the most logical destination for a cold-loving Sim but his new home is Monte Vista.

This is his new house from the front…

…and the rear (at sunset).

Since athletic will be the skill for this household,  the grounds are at least as important as the interior.  There are swimming and diving pools (with a hot tub to be added when funds are available)…

…a golf driving range…

… and a small football pitch.

There’s also a tennis court (sadly, non-functional).  The house includes a small gym, which only has a chin-up bar at the moment, and for relaxation and recovery after all of this sporting effort, a sauna…

…with a bath for hydrotherapy sessions and advice from the resident personal trainer.

The games room is mostly for fun.

Since Ash is also a keen cook, the living room has a spacious kitchen area.

There are also dining and living areas, decorated with a minimum of art.  (And a number of cheap posters on the walls in currently unused bedrooms for when Ash gets wishes to sell a painting.)

Since this is likely to be an outdoorsy sort of household, there’s an outdoor cooking area as well as the indoor one, complete with wood-fired oven and barbecue.

Ash’s career progress had been slowing down before he left Twinbrook because of his lack of athletic skill and in his first week in Monte Vista he only had a single promotion.  Over the weekend, he'd managed to raise his athletic skill to where it should be by the middle of the military career and could start looking around for a wife.  He called the police and fire brigade but only had fines to show for it – both officers were male.  He visited the performance venues and met a couple of female proprietors, but both were considerably older and there was no spark of attraction.  Then the washbasin broke (after considerable provocation).  Despite his wish to fix it himself, he called for a repair Sim and Giulia Capp arrived.

Although they were both bothered by the leaky plumbing, their relationship progressed rapidly…

…but then Ash had to go to work.

As soon as he was home from his shift, he invited Giulia over.  Her first action was to head for the sauna, light the candles and give him a romantic massage.

Definitely a keeper.  Ash agreed.  (Or maybe he was just transfixed by her awesome, er, Bridgeports.)  Whatever the reason, he asked her to go steady and to move in.

Giulia has no traits, which seems to be normal for Monte Vistan NPCs, so I might send her to Uni and/or go for social group influence so that she can at least acquire one or two traits.  She wants to become a Blog Artist.  I was beginning to think that I’d need to do Social Networking as well as athletic in this house, since Ash has already been playing with his phone whenever I take my eye off him.  He hasn’t learned the skill yet but it’s probably only a matter of time, and it’s bound to get worse with more Sims in the family.  I’m not sure whether it’s possible to supermax without writing skill, though.  I think I need to go off and do some testing before I carry on with this game.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2013, 06:51:37 AM »
Chapter 22: Giulia Goes to University

I decided to go for it and do social networking as well as athletic in this house.  The aim is for everyone to max both skills and for someone to supermax each of them.  Although it makes sense for the Blog Artist to be the one to supermax social networking, Giulia doesn’t seem like the right Sim for the job.  Someone with traits would be better.

I’d messed about with University Life a bit but hadn’t actually completed a degree with a Sim yet, so Giulia became my guinea pig.  First step: the aptitude test.  Unsurprisingly for a former repair Sim with maxed handiness, she came out with a maximum 18 credits in Technology but nothing in anything else.

After a few days at the library, reading charisma and social networking books, I got her to try again.

This time, she had 18 credits in Business as well.  Much more like it.  She was also quite close to a partial scholarship, so Ash stepped in and trained her in the athletic skill.

A few hours later, she took the test for the third time and earned her scholarship.  Not before time: it was now her adult birthday (and Ash’s).  After a tearful goodbye hug, she set off through the snow for University.

Although it was winter in Monte Vista, it was summer at Uni.  Giulia registered for a business degree and settled down to the sort of hectic life that is only possible for the owners of motive mobiles.  She studied hard…

…she partied almost every evening…

…and she spent her nights playing collegiate sport or in the library working on her skills.  (I was surprised that the university library doesn’t have skill books, by the way.  Giulia visited the bookshop and bought her own copies.)  By the end of her first week, she was on the Dean’s list and was rapidly gaining status with the jocks on campus.  After a whole weekend of sports fixtures (I think she was a member of every single team), she reached level 8 of jock influence and became ambitious.  Week 2 followed a similar pattern to week 1, although I was less bothered about staying in with the jocks now that she had her trait.  She even spent a few nights asleep in bed.

When the results came out at the end of the week, she was delighted to get an A.

Ash turned up for graduation, along with the GilsCarbos and a few other Monte Vistans.

Together with her degree, Giulia received her second trait: workaholic.  At the end of a long day, Giulia fired up her trusty motive mobile and drove away from the stadium for the last time.

After a quick stop-off at her rented house to collect her belongings, she set off back to Monte Vista.

She posted her CV online as soon as she got back to her home town and almost immediately had two job offers: as a businesswoman or a getaway driver for the criminal fraternity.  She accepted the latter.  Then she rushed back home for a fond reunion with Ash.

A very fond reunion.

It looks as though Giulia may be working from home for a while…

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: The Wood Household Skills Project - updated 26 July
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2013, 02:04:12 PM »
Chapter 23: Children and Careers

Giulia went into labour in the kitchen while Ash was at work.  The winter gnome seemed quite disturbed.

After the usual face-pulling interval, she gave birth to Châtaigne.

She calmly went off to put her new daughter in the cot, ignoring the second baby who’d just appeared on the kitchen floor.  No wonder Olive was crying.

Fortunately, Ash arrived home at this point and fed his second daughter before tucking her up in the hastily-purchased second cot.

Now that they were parents, both Ash and Giulia popped wishes to get married, so the following day they called a babysitter (oddly, a clone of Sequoia and called Tami, like an earlier dog) and went out for the day.  After taking most of the day to find a suitably picturesque location, Ash proposed.

Then they both swam off into the sunset, oblivious to the lurking sharks.

I’d planned for them to marry almost immediately but the swimming took so long that it was dark by the time they were dressed again – and the twins were getting distressed.  Sequoia-clone was a useless babysitter.  The next day, there was a thunderstorm.  All day.  So no wedding again.  In fact, it was starting to occur to me that Giulia really couldn’t afford the extra time off work.  Although she’d immediately become best friends with her boss (thank you, social networking skill), he consistently refused to give her a promotion, however much she sweet-talked him and however high her performance bar was.  Must be his frugal trait.  She was going to have to go to work to get anywhere.  For now, she was still on maternity leave and doing most of the baby care while Ash concentrated on his career – although she had a somewhat unusual approach.  Leaving two hungry babies crying in their cots while you play keepy-uppy in the kitchen is not generally recommended by parenting books.

Soon, it was the twins’ toddler birthday.  Ash was at work, Olive was asleep, but Guilia and Châtaigne were both wide awake and happy.  It seemed like a good time to make a start on the toddler skills.  Or not, as it turned out.

The only thing more useless than a Sim around a fire is a Sim holding a baby.  Giulia couldn’t do anything except ‘go here’.  She had an option to put Châtaigne down on the floor but the action kept cancelling.  The only thing to do was to wait for the fire brigade.  Considering they were right next door, they took an amazingly long time to arrive.  Finally, there were sirens outside and a firefighter rushed in to deal with the blaze, pausing only to tell Giulia how hot her fiancé was.

Ash, unaware of the near-disaster, finished his shift and got his final promotion.

The poor man came home all pleased with himself and got an earful.

Finally, Giulia went back to work and Ash, now on a one-day-a-week schedule, took over most of the childcare.

Ash: “When you grow up, you could play for the Llamas.”
Châtaigne (thinks): Hrumph…

Ash: “You’d earn lots of money!”
Châtaigne (thinks): Money?  That sounds more interesting.

Ash: “Or there are other sports, like boxing…”
Châtaigne’s first word.  “Boxing!”

I can’t wait for this one to grow up.

Giulia still managed to fit in some teaching of toddler skills between work shifts, maxing athletic and working ‘at home’ at the library.

And the girls had plenty of time for play.

It was just as well that they’d become friends.  When they started school they had options for ‘normal effort’, ‘work hard’ or ‘slack off’ but nothing involving friends.  They were going to have to be self-sufficient.

They only had one day at school and then it was Leisure Day.  They spent the whole day outside, playing, swimming…

…and relaxing.

Ash and Giulia kept an eye on the kids, took the odd Motive Mobile trip and then spent the night enjoying each other’s company…

…ending with embarrassment all round at dawn when Olive wandered out into the garden.  Even though she was on the other side of the lot, with the house in between, she somehow knew what her parents had been up to in the hot tub.

Giulia’s career was still going extremely slowly and Franco still wouldn’t give her a promotion outside the office.  She was just about to get to level 8 when she was arrested for the first time.  Her watcher may possibly have become very cross at this point.  With both of her required skills maxed, she whiled away the summer days perfecting her diving and enjoying the great outdoors.

All too soon, Ash and Giulia’s elder birthday rolled around.  They took the girls for a day out at Mick’s.

Admittedly not the most obvious venue for a family outing but autumn had just arrived and it was tipping down outside.

Then, on the way home, it became clear that it wasn’t Giulia’s birthday after all.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: The Wood Household Skills Project - updated 16 August
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2013, 02:23:18 PM »
The girls are gorgeous.

I've been silently following this story for a bit. What an interesting sort of challenge this is.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
Re: The Wood Household Skills Project - updated 16 August
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
Thank you.  This game is the one I feel guilty about - I keep leaving it to chase off after shiny new challenges - but I'm determined to finish it, preferably before Sims 4 comes out :).

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »
Chapter 24: Long-Delayed Events

The day after Ash’s birthday and Giulia’s not-birthday, it was the twins’ turn.

They settled into teenagerdom like pros, moaning about high school before they'd even started.

Still, there were new ways of having fun now that they were older...

...as well as the old standbys.

(Olive's hairband is obviously dye-resistant.)

Like his big sisters, Laricio was born at home.

Two days later, Ash and Giulia got married.  The weather wasn’t ideal but they were starting to run out of time.  They had a private ceremony, on the same beach where Ash had proposed so long ago.

And if you’re going to relive the past, why not do it properly (and become fully paid-up members of the Polar Bear Club)?

Laricio aged up to toddler and started learning his skills.

The girls were learning more advanced stuff, taking advantage of the snow days when they could miss school (as opposed to the snow days when the bus turned up anyway).  Halfway through her teens, Châtaigne reached level ten of athletics and started putting in the hours and miles towards her supermax – when she could be prised away from the mechanical bull.

Olive was concentrating on social networking.  She was still at level 8 but Memoirs of a Blogging Wannabe was picking up followers and she was also about halfway through the athletic and charisma skills.  In fact, she seemed a lot keener on charisma than her destined supermax, rolling the Super Popular LTW several times a day.  Sorry, Olive, that one’s been done already.

She stayed too long at the library one evening, waiting for a slow Sim Finder result and was driven home in disgrace.

It probably wasn’t the best time to criticise the nice officer’s driving skill, however justified it might be…

Fortunately, some judicious grovelling paid off.

Not that Olive’s own driving skills were faultless.  She got her Motive Mobile stuck in a snowdrift and just abandoned it, along with her homework.

Laricio just got on with growing up…

…and, finally, Giulia made it to Master Thief.

Some odd things are starting to happen in this game.  Up to now, it’s been remarkably glitch-free.  One morning, I noticed there were five or six gnome tombstones scattered around the lot.

They have acquired quite a collection of gnomes by now but none of them are Mysterious Mr Gnomes.  I didn’t think any of the others could age and die.

Also, this doesn’t seem like the best place to eat.  Especially when you’re eating a snow cone.

The table, bar and armchairs were all free (and closer), so I have no idea why Ash and Châtaigne chose to sit in the sauna instead.  It must be terribly sweaty in that wetsuit.

And, although her missing homework regenerated, Olive’s Motive Mobile is still sitting abandoned on a street corner.  It appears to be steaming slightly, as if it has a burst radiator or something, although it's presumably left-over animation from when it was driving through the snow.  The drivers in the family have options to go to work and/or school when it’s clicked on, but then they use a different vehicle instead.  I think that one may be lost.  Oh well, they still have three others.

This will probably be the last update for a while, because I’m going to reinstall The Sims in preparation for the 4x4 Dynasty.  Since Seasons seems to be causing most of my problems, it won’t be reinstalled until I’ve finished (or given up on) the new dynasty - which means I won’t be able to play this file.

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
Re: The Wood Household Skills Project - updated 25 August
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2013, 05:38:01 PM »
Well I honestly don't know how I've missed so much! I'm terribly sorry  :-[ In any case, so much going on, congratulations on everything and the girls are lovely! Isn't it odd how the NPCs in Monte Vista don't have traits? Anyway, sorry to hear this is going to be on hiatus just when I've caught up, but I hope you post your 4x4 Dynasty! By the way, other gnomes do age up and die, I've got tombstones for a Gnome of the Darned or two.
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline hazelnut

• Watcher
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
Well I honestly don't know how I've missed so much! I'm terribly sorry  :-[ In any case, so much going on, congratulations on everything and the girls are lovely!
Good heavens, you don't need to apologise  :D.  Larry's also quite cute (just as well, since he's probably going to be the heir) but I forgot to take any screenshots after he aged up to child.

Isn't it odd how the NPCs in Monte Vista don't have traits?
Yes, the NPCs without traits are odd.  Giulia seems to be managing OK with just her two UL traits, though :).

Anyway, sorry to hear this is going to be on hiatus just when I've caught up, but I hope you post your 4x4 Dynasty!
I'm certainly intending to post the 4x4 as a story - although, after the last two, I'm getting a bit superstitious about starting to post a Dynasty.   It seems to be an invitation to disaster  ::).  I'd really like to carry on with this as well but, unless I can work out how to partition my hard drive and have two versions of Sims installed, it's not going to happen.

By the way, other gnomes do age up and die, I've got tombstones for a Gnome of the Darned or two.
Really?  I thought it was only Mysterious Mr Gnomes.  Maybe it changed on a patch.  Poking around online, it seems that other people have had gnome tombstones just appearing on Monte Vista lots, so maybe it's not any of the family gnomes after all.  I'll have to check when the snow melts.

Offline Tilia

• Watcher
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »
This is great!  Monte Vista makes for some truly gorgeous screenshots.