Author Topic: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Thirty-Two (7-21-15)  (Read 39154 times)

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-One (3-27-15)
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2015, 08:46:38 AM »
Oh, wow! I love this chapter so much, I am ever so glad that Claudia is back home and hope she will stay this time  ;D
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline intl_incident

• You can call me Indy! :D
  • Occult
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments as always.  Claudia is definitely home to stay (How could she not want to stay in an invisible barn? I would!)

I will try to post more soon, but I was out of town for a couple weeks at a wedding and for Easter, and while I was gone I managed to cut off the tip of my finger making cucumber salad, so typing is a bit of a pain. :P  I am eager to get to the next chapters though!  Very fun stuff coming up. At least, I think so!

Sorry for the delay -- hope everyone is enjoying some nice spring weather! (Or fall, for our friends in the southern hemisphere? :)) )

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2015, 01:31:17 AM »
Oh my gosh! Sorry to hear about your finger! Hope it all heals well for you.  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2015, 03:19:44 PM »
Oh, ick, I hope you feel better soon!

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Two (5-22-15)
« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »
Oh, wow. I can't believe how long it's been since I posted here. There were business trips and injured fingers and other excuses, but two months!  :o Sorry!

Anyway, here is a super long update, and then Pascal and Claudia will start cooking up that next generation.

---------------

The next thing I knew, we were inside the barn from my childhood.  It still smelled of raw wood and horses and hay, though the stalls were empty, and the stage where my parents had practiced their music was covered in dust and cobwebs, and strange collections of plants and rocks and gems from what must have been all over the world. 

As the glowing door closed behind us, blocking the sound of the wind and leaving us in silence, Pascal was gaping around at the drawings and charts and shelves of curiosities that covered the walls.  But I had eyes for my grandfather alone.  He looked exactly as I remembered him from twenty-five years before, and just the same as the picture on the back of the novel that he'd dedicated to me.

"But how..." I asked. "I don't understand…"

"Don't you?" he replied with a tilt of his head. "You must understand some of it, or you wouldn't be here now.  You never would have found me, and you never would have opened the door."

Pascal finally tore his gaze away from the strange objects that had drawn his attention.  "We didn't know there was a door," he said, pushing his glasses up to the bridge of his nose.  "This is entirely unexpected."

My grandfather turned to regard him, one eyebrow raised. "And you are?"

"I-- uh-- P-- Pascal Morel, sir."  Something about my grandfather's steady, assessing gaze made him stammer.

"And what brought you here, if you weren't expecting to find me, Mr. Morel?"

"I-- that is, the books-- I mean, you wrote about--" Pascal turned toward me, looking for support.

"He's my husband," I added, linking my arm through his. "This is our honeymoon. I wanted to come home."

At that, my grandfather finally smiled -- the kind, friendly expression I remembered.  "I see," he said warmly. "Well good.  And congratulations to you both.  Now, come.  Come upstairs. We have a lot to discuss."

In the same whitewashed room with the same blue rug where we had played make believe games about Ajri, and at the same little table where he had taught me to read, my grandfather laid out the story of his last twenty-five years.  How he had tried to find us when my parents had taken me to France in the middle of the night.  How he had traveled the world for a while looking for the things he needed for his experiments.  How he had always come back to Aurora Skies, hoping to find a letter or another sign of where we might be.  And then how he had eventually become a curiosity in Aurora Skies -- where both strangers and close friends were starting to really wonder why he never seemed to get any older, and what all of the strange smells and noises in the basement and barn were.  That's when he made the difficult decision to erect a perception charm and withdraw from the world, using magic to obscure any memory the locals might have of himself or his hideaway.

"And I locked it in a way I knew only you or your father would be able to open it.  You had to speak a language only the three of us would know: the language I brought from Ajri."

"But I don't know that language," I said, my brow furrowing.

"And anyway she was speaking French," Pascal interjected. "I heard it."

My grandfather just smiled.  "You were speaking the language of your ancestors, Claudia.  Pascal heard it as French, and Reynar would have heard it as Icelandic, but make no mistake, it was the language of Ajri, just as I taught it to you.  The same as I'm speaking right now."

"But you--"

"Did you ever study French?" my grandfather interrupted.

I stopped to think, and he was right.  I couldn't remember when I'd ever learned French, but Pascal said I spoke it like a native.  My father had as well.  It was my mother -- who used to vacation in France every year as a child -- who had the accent, and who had a hard time remembering words.

My grandfather was watching me closely to see when realization would hit me. "Never a day's study," he confirmed, "But you went right to school in Champs Les Sims. Did you never wonder how that was possible?"

"I don't understand," I said, still confused. "Are you saying this is magic?"

"The language charm! Of course!" In an instant, Pascal was on his feet, and he had transformed once again into the excited enthusiast I'd first met at his father's alchemy shop. "You remember, don't you? No of course you don't remember. You didn't read it. In the first book. Before Jaffaran left home." His words tumbled out in a choppy, breathless rhythm.  "Lady Ybeline put a charm on him so that everyone in the other world would be able to understand him. Everyone here, I mean. In our... world."

Pascal suddenly stopped, eyes wide as if something else had just dawned on him.  He turned back to my grandfather and stammered once again. "Y-you're him. You're really… Claudia, that's him! The door! The door was magic! And downstairs… the... the…" He gestured randomly toward the stairs, trying to evoke the piles of collected natural treasures.  "It was alchemy! Real alchemy! And he's… And you're…" His hand went to his forehead as he stared at me, shocked.  "I'm married to…"  And then his eyes fluttered back, and his knees buckled beneath him as he fainted.

Luckily my grandfather had sharp reflexes, and caught him before he collapsed in a faint. "He seems to know a lot about us. Where did you say you two met?"

"At his father's shop," I replied, helping to lay my poor overcome husband on the bed. "They sell things there that are based on your books. It was in Champs Les-- Wait." I looked up from loosening Pascal's collar. "You knew! You knew I was in Champs Les Sims! You knew I went to school there! "

My grandfather hesitated, looking nervous for the first time I could remember. "Claudia, maybe we should talk about this later…"

"No, I want to know! I missed you! And I thought you missed me too."

"I did," he said quietly. "I missed you every day. You and your father both."

"But you never wrote back!"

He sat down on the foot of the bed, and patted the space beside him, inviting me to join him. "I never got your letters," he said sadly. "Your father must have taken them.  He didn't want us to have any contact."

I took the offered seat, trying to make sense of things.  "How did you know where we were if you never got the letters?"

"I went looking for you," he said with a shrug. "I used magic.  Traced your passports, followed you to France..."

"But I never saw you there."

"No, you didn't…"

And then he was telling me another story, of how he had come to the coffee house where my mother and father were playing music, and how he had found my father in the back as he was loading their equipment into the car.  How he had apologized for not telling my father that Ajri was real from the very start, and for just assuming that my father would give up his own life and dreams for people and places he had never seen. 

"Just stop," my father had said in response. "Stop saying we're den'Rhelys heirs! Stop saying you're a character from one of your books! Stop lying to everyone like you lied to me, and my mother -- all of our lives!"

That brought my grandfather up short.  "Alden, I've never lied to you.  Whatever my faults as a father, and I know they were many, I have always told you the truth. Just as I always told your mother the truth, even when neither of you wanted to hear it."

"You lied to her!" he snapped back. "You told her you loved her but you didn't. You asked her to marry you but you never loved her. How is that not a lie?"

"It's more complicated than that," my grandfather had said after a pause. "You don't know everything about your mother and me."

"I saw enough. You made her miserable. You made her lonely. And she died."

"Alden, listen," my grandfather said kindly. Even in the dim light he could see Alden's cheeks flushing red with emotion.  "I know it was hard on you to lose your mother when you were so young--"

My father bristled at the comforting tone and started to protest, but my grandfather held his ground: "I never lied to your mother.  I never promised her anything I couldn't give her, or misrepresented my feelings for her. But she believed what she wanted to believe, and she wanted to believe in a fairy tale."

"And you took advantage of that," my father spat.

"Yes," my grandfather said plainly. "I'm not proud of it, but I did. Because I'm here for a reason, Alden. I need to do what I came here for."

"Oh, right," my father said, crossing his arms in front of him. "Because you're 'magic'."

My grandafther's lips tightened at the sound of the sarcasm, but he just nodded. "Yes. I am. And so are you.  And I need you to help me, Alden.  I came to ask--"

"Why do you not understand this?" my father shouted. "I never want to see you again. Never.  My life is my own, and Claudia's is hers. Not yours. And certainly not some make-believe magical family's."

"All right," my grandfather said quietly. "I'll go. I'll leave you alone for as long as you like. Live your life, enjoy every minute of it. Love your wife, and your children. Play music and see everything you want to see.  But take this, please."  He held out a scrap of parchment, covered in writing.  "It's a recipe for a potion -- a meal, really, that will keep you alive when you're finished. When you've done what you want with your life, when it's over... please Alden... Please come find me again." 

"You want me to believe you have a cure for death?" my father spat back. "Then why did you let my mother die?"

My grandfather shook his head, with a sad smile. "It doesn't work that way, Alden. I'm sorry. I wish it did, but--"

"But it's a lie. Just like all of the other stories you want me to believe."

"No, Alden. It's--"

"Go," my father interrupted.  "Stay away from me, and stay away from my family!"  He could hear my mother and I coming down the stairs with the rest of the band.  We were almost outside.  Snatching the paper away to appease my grandfather, he stuffed it into his pocket and turned toward the door.  "Hey, hey!" he called, stopping us at the bottom of the steps and blocking our view with his arm. "Where are you all going? I thought I said it was my turn to buy drinks. And I promised Claudia one of those pastries in the case.  What do you mean, I didn't? Well I'm promising now. Because I want one too..."

Our happy chatter faded away as we climbed once more up the back staircase to the coffee shop, leaving my grandfather alone in the pool of streetlight.

"That doesn't make any sense," I argued. "If you really are Jaffaran den'Rheyls, if Dad and I are really your heirs, and the future of Ajri depends on us, then you need us to be here.  You should have tied us up and dragged us back."

"That's not the right way. It doesn't work to trick people or force them. That's the very kind of manipulation we're fighting against in Ajri, and I'm not very good at it anyway."

"So then you just hoped it would all work out?"

"Yes," he said plainly. "Hoped and trusted.  It's always better than tying and dragging."

I gave him a skeptical look.

"Well, all right," he admitted. "I would have come looking for you again, now that you're old enough to decide on your own.  And I did leave you some clues in case you wanted to find me sooner. Apparently you were able to decipher them."

"That was Pascal," I had to confess. 

"He seems like a good man," my grandfather said. "I'm happy for you, Claudia.  But…"

"I'm awake!" said a voice from behind us. Pascal was clambering back to a sitting position. "I'm awake. I apologize. I was just… it was just… it's a lot."

"It is," my grandfather said solemnly.  "And I won't ask you to decide right now.  You can take as long as you need."

"Decide what?" Pascal asked.

"Whether or not you want to stay here and help, or live your own lives."

I wanted to.  If the magic portal, and the perception charm and the alchemy pots downstairs hadn't been enough to convince me, my grandfather's earnest sincerity had done so: Ajri was real, I was an heir of the den'Rhelys, and I had a destiny far beyond the small world I'd lived in so far.  But it was my destiny, not my husband's and I wasn't sure I had the right to ask him to--

"I'll stay," he said, interrupting my thoughts.

"Pascal!"

"This is a serious decision," my grandfather cautioned.  "If you stay, you'll be living with secrets and lies.  You'll be asking your children to do the same. And you'll be signing on for a burden that isn't yours, Pascal.  For a world that you'll never see.   Claudia can always come back to me later, but you only have a certain amount of time -- forgive me, but I cannot change that -- and…"

"I'll stay."

"PASCAL!"

"No, no no," Pascal replied, waving away my grandfather's objections and my alarm. "Please. I've seen more to amaze me in the last hour than in my entire life before.  Things I wanted to believe in, things I wished for -- now I know that they're real.  How could I possibly walk away from that? What kind of life would it be, knowing I had thrown away a chance to do and see what others only dream about?  That I had a chance to make my life mean something. How many people can say that they had a hand in saving an entire world?"

And so it was decided.  My grandfather wasn't one to display strong emotions, but I could see the relief in his eyes.

Later that evening, as Pascal and I were settling into my parents' old room, I pulled him close for a warm embrace. "Thank you," I said with a proud smile. "For everything.  For coming home with me, for making me open that magic door, for walking through it with me, and for believing in the impossible.  You are the most incredible man I've ever met."

"Yes, of course," he replied with a sly smile. "I'm French."

I couldn't help but laugh, and gave him an affectionate kiss. "Well if it's decided, we may as well start saving Ajri."

He tilted his head at me, curiously.  I wagged my eyebrow and nodded toward the bed. "Nine generations," I reminded him. "We have a lot of work to do."

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Two (3-22-15)
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »
That's good.

Now they just to get Alden back. I know it's not right, but tying him up and dragging him home sounded like a good plan. :p
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline Magz from Oz

• Watcher
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
Terrific update!  I agree with Trip but is Alden absolutely necessary?  He seems such a belligerent character, I can't imagine him being any help when it is needed.   It's a pity Pascal can't be there in the end because he is such a believer.
Where there is love - there is life. -- Mahatma Gandhi

My Stories:
1. Duty Calls
2. Duty Calls Sequel: Islands of Sunset Valley
3. The Lady of the Lake
4. The Secret Time Traveler

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline EtnaFan666

• Shy Sage of Sucrose
  • Occult
  • Don't mess with Texas, foo!
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2015, 10:11:06 PM »
The rules of the Immortal Dynasty state that Alden has to be living with his father, no exceptions. I'm sure he is but intl is making it seem like Alden has abandoned the Immortal Dynasty for story purposes. Technically, Jaffaran failed the Immortal Dynasty because his son ran away with his granddaughter and left home but if Alden eats his words and goes back to become immortal, maybe things will be forgiven. ;)

intl, do you have any more screens to show Metro and the others that you aren't violating any rules and this is just story based? I know it's not really a violation (unless you're using Twallan's traveler to make Champs Les Sims a real neighborhood which would mean you violated rules) but JIC.  :D
I play The Sims 4 for fun, so I don't care if I never end up being interviewed for the Dynasty Hall of Fame; people who play for keeps burn out too easily and don't enjoy playing the games, so I am going to not sweat the details.

"With great ability comes great taking into account of one's actions!" - spoken by an NPC in Lego Marvel Superheroes

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2015, 12:52:04 AM »
intl, do you have any more screens to show Metro and the others that you aren't violating any rules and this is just story based?

Yeah, sure, if you want to see some raw screenshots, I've got 'em.  Here's one of the room where Alden spends all of his time in the official save file playing guitar and painting.  The door is locked so that no one but Joline can get in and out (she tends the garden, goes to work and cleans up all of their dirty dishes.)  He's got a bed, all-in-one bath and fridge, so he's pretty self-sufficient stored up there in the attic.

I unlocked the door and had everyone cram in there so you could see them in all in one shot:

But you know, if I wanted to cheat, it would be just as easy to set up those kinds of screenshots as it was to set up the non-official ones.  It's all an honor system, and I think the powers that be trust me to confess if I screw up the rules.   FWIW, all of the shots in France have been from a non-official save file.  Almost all of the shots from Aurora Skies have been from the official save file, except for a few there and there that I have set up with poses and/or drastic changes to scenery (for example, most recently, the ones where Claudia and Pascal found Geoff and the glowing door -- I had to demolish the barn in a non-official save file for those shots.)

Anyway, if anybody ever wants more proof I'm playing by the rules (even if the story is a bit unusual) I can certainly take some more 'behind the scenes' screenshots.

Offline Nettlejuice

• Baba Gothel
  • Watcher
  • Mother knows best, Rapunzel
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2015, 05:38:22 AM »
Pascal fainting, lol. Another brilliant update, sorry I can't comment much on what has already been said.
Chant: Life States (TS3) / Immortal Dynasty (TS4)

Mother Gothel & Baba Yaga Enthusiast

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2015, 11:10:58 AM »
I'm basically the only official you have to convince and I was convinced of your rule-abiding a long time ago.

If you question intl_incident's HoF status, just be aware that I know she's doing fine behind the scenes.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Three (3-28-15)
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2015, 12:44:15 AM »
Thanks, Trip! I appreciate the vote of confidence. And thanks for the other comments, Magz and Nettlejuice.  Glad I still have readers! And yeah, Alden is kind of a pain, isn't he? But plots need drama, right? :)

Now on to a whirlwind tour of a post, to cover the (somewhat boring) period of the game while Claudia masters her culinary career requirement, and we zip through another heir's childhood years.  (For those keeping track, most of the screenshots in this post are from the official save file, but a couple were staged in an alternate save.)

-------

It was surprising how quickly Pascal and I settled into a routine.  Part of the ease was because we both felt suddenly useful.  I had often stood at the window of the bakery in Champs Les Sims, looking out at the town and thinking that there should be more to my life, or some greater purpose.  I knew now that something deep inside me -- maybe something genetic -- had known all along that I was supposed to be here, working to save a homeland I'd never seen.   

And while Pascal couldn't really help with alchemy, my grandfather couldn't really make the most of the technologies and equipment in Aurora Skies.  In its own way, technology was the 'magic' of our world.  And my husband was a magician.

In a few short months, he had made major improvements to my grandfather's workshop.   Now we had modern tools and a workbench.  We had drafting equipment and computer-aided design.  We even had the finest Aurora Skies tradition: a hot tub to soak in at night.

Pascal had insisted on it, claiming it was the only way to warm up his French bones.  Of course, we also used it for other purposes...

...and soon enough, my husband and my grandfather were building out walls for a nursery, and putting together a crib from a kit we'd bought in town.  It was the strangest thing to live behind a perception charm: when we were in town, people saw us and knew us -- but the moment we stepped through the glowing door and back behind the charm, it was as though we had never existed. 

After the baby was born, I was even able to get a job at one of the restaurants in town, where I had co-workers and friends.  They expected me for my shift every night, and chatted with me as if nothing strange was going on.  But once I had gone home, if anyone asked them about me, they would say they had never heard of me -- and they would mean it.

Little Etienne -- named for Pascal's grandfather -- had continuous, doting care while I was away at work.

He was well-watched even while Pascal and my grandfather continued to make progress on finding a way back to Ajri. 

And as they carried out experiments I only marginally understood -- testing the tensile and compressive properties of various building materials before and after application of different potions, focusing magical energy into tighter or more diffuse patterns with different kinds of crystals and so on -- Etienne was educated over time by sheer immersion in both magic and technology. 

As he got older, Etienne's education continued around the world.  On travels to faraway lands, he and his father helped study the mystical writings of ancient cultures and philosophers, looking for hidden clues about other worlds and the pathways to reach them.

My culinary training was surprisingly useful to the mission, as I was able to help cook up experimental potions while they were gone, to craft tinctures from the herbs they brought back, or to preserve the rare fruits they found.

But my contributions, and even Pascal's, as great as they were, would eventually pale in comparison to Etienne's.  It was hard to imagine it when he was a gangly teenager on his way to university, but the biggest leap forward in our progress would come in a few short years, when Etienne would return with a degree in Science, an knack for magic, and a beautiful, brilliant spouse of his own.

Offline intl_incident

• Occult
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Four (5-30-15)
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »
And now a short and depressing (but dynastically important) interlude with Alden...

-------------------

During the years that Etienne was growing up in Aurora Skies, Alden and Joline were growing old in Champs Les Sims. 

Over the years, it got harder and harder for Joline to remember faces and names.  Sometimes she would get confused about what day it was, or whether she'd finished her errands.  Each day Alden would help her to get dressed and to make her way down to breakfast, but eventually, the stairs up to the bedroom got to be too hard for her, so she spent her days and nights on the ground floor of the small stone cottage, reading in the chair by the fire, or sleeping on the pull-out couch from the thrift store.  It was there that Alden found her one evening when he came home from the gallery.  He took her hand and kissed it, as he always did.

"Oh, Alden. You're home," she said with a tired smile.  "I was just having a nice dream, about when we first came to France, do you remember?  Claudia was with us, and she was so excited by the sunshine and the flowers. She was running through the grass in her bare feet.  Just a little girl, with two little braids. Do you remember? "

"I do remember," Alden answered quietly, easing down to sit beside her on the bed. "Of course I do.  We were happy then, weren't we?"

Joline nodded with a wistful smile, taking Alden's hand in her own, and running her fingers across his wrinkled knuckles.  "We were happy," she repeated. Then after a pause, added, "I wonder why she never comes by for dinner anymore."

Alden frowned, reaching out to brush Joline's hair back from her forehead. "You know she's gone," he reminded her. "She's been gone for years now.  Ran off with her husband right after their wedding."

"She was so beautiful at the wedding," Joline said absently.  "We should ask them to dinner tomorrow.  It's hard to be a new bride."

"She's not a new bride," Alden said, his forehead now creased with worry. "Joline, are you all right?  Claudia's been married for years.  She left, remember?   She wanted to go back to Aurora Skies.  Left us behind to go chasing stories with that Morel boy."

Joline's eyes were clouded with confusion, unfocused but alarmed as she held tightly to her husband's hand.  "What did you say to her? Why did she go?"

"I didn't say anything," Alden replied. "She just left. Joline, this was years ago. Are you sure you're all right?"

"You shouldn't be so angry with her, Alden. She's just a little girl.  She just wants to write to her grandfather."

"Joline?"  Alden reached out to take her hand, rubbing it and trying to bring her back to the present day. "Joline, I'm not angry with her.  Wake up, Joline, please."

But her eyelids fluttered shut, and her breathing came in shuddering breaths as her hand went limp in his.  "No," Alden growled. "No no no."

He jumped up from the bed, a wild look in his eyes as he strode to the desk, rummaging frantically through the drawers.  "Not you too.  You don't get to leave me too."  Books were shoved aside, pens and pencils scattered, old receipts and scraps of music were tossed to the floor. Then he found it -- a folded scrap of parchment, wrinkled and creased from where it had been stuffed in his pocket so many years before.  "You said it would work," he muttered as he began pulling cans and jars from the cupboards. "You said it would work, old man...  You promised you weren't lying, and for once, just once you'd better be right."

Pulling the last rare ingredients from where he'd stashed them high on a shelf, he mixed the recipe that Geoff had pressed into his hand behind the coffee house.   He knew he was being irrational. He knew it was crazy to think anything like this would work. But everyone he loved had left him, and now Joline, the greatest love of his life, was failing.  Scooping up a serving of the strange concoction, he carried it to her. 

"Come on," he said desperately as he sat beside her.  "Come on.  Just a bit.  You need to eat some of this now. Look, see? It's fine. It's good!"  He scraped a spoonful of the food from its dish and swallowed it himself.  "Please take it."

For a moment, Joline's eyes seemed clear, as she reached up a hand to caress her husband's cheek. "It's all right," she said. "We had a good life, you and I.  I know you didn't mean to drive Claudia away."

The words, meant to be comforting, cut like a knife instead.  But there would be time to work it out later, once the cure had time to work.  "Please," Alden pleaded again, lifting her shoulders so that he could put the spoon to her lips.

Joline opened her mouth to take the offered morsel, swallowing it with a sad smile. "I'm sorry," she said weakly. "I'm sorry to leave you alone."   

"No!"

Her eyes rolled back as her fingers fell away from his cheek, and with a final deep sigh, she went limp in his arms.  "No, he promised!" Alden cried. "He promised!"

But in the end, as Alden had always suspected, the magic was nothing but lies.

------------------

So obviously this part of the story was completely staged.  Most importantly for the dynasty, please note that Alden did not cook Ambrosia in the actual save file (he has no cooking skill), nor did Joline ever eat Ambrosia in the actual save file!  Alden did officially eat it in a much less dramatic scene, though, where Geoff unceremoniously dropped off a plate of the stuff in Alden's Attic Prison (er, Alden's lovely penthouse accommodations...)

So yay, another Immortal!  Claudia should be joining them soon. :)

Offline Playalot

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Four (3-30-15)
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2015, 09:57:26 PM »
Oh, just brilliant! I love this story so much! How typical of Alden to try to use magic the 'wrong' way and use that as a justification that it has all been lies. Ugh... he's so frustrating! Very touching death scene though. Can't help but feel for the guy. I can't wait for Etienne to take a more prominent place in the story too.  :)
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”  ― Dr. Seuss
A Hollingsworth Immortal TS4 Dynasty-Completed Hall of Fame
A Teen Runaway Story - Pets Completed

Remember the Forum Rules. They're there to be followed.

Offline dontmindme

• Immortal
Re: Last Best Hope: An Immortal Dynasty - Chapter Twenty-Four (3-30-15)
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2015, 11:42:45 PM »
I just wanted to let you know I'm still reading and that I'm so mad at Alden right now. Dang, buddy, I understand you love your wife and you're desperate but suddenly turning to your father's solution after you've spent a lifetime hating him and ignoring him (not without reason) is just ugh inducing. Especially because he doesn't seem to realize the cognitive dissonance there. Now I'm really curious about how Alden's going to get back to the family/believe in all of this because right now, I just see him dying alone. Hopefully when he finally finds them, there's going to be a big cathartic blowout and Alden agrees to a grudging truce if only to get reacquainted with his daughter and meet his grandson.