Author Topic: Riches Galore: The Orphanage Project (Completed)  (Read 52501 times)

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
Re: Riches Galore
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »
Great story, Schip!
And happy birthday, Debbie :)
Introducing... The Tunics
Sadly, no longer. Please see the link.

New! The {Appleby} Legacy

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »
Thanks for the comments, Esther and Ruby.

I've been thinking about the aging up aspect of this game.  I don't want Sebastian and Pippa to be elders at the end of the 10 weeks, and they just don't have time for all the fishing and gardening necessary to make ambrosia, so I'm playing on epic lifespan.  Which means I need to come up with some criteria for when to age up the kids.  Since the focus is on giving orphans a good start in life, this is what I've come up with:

Babies will be aged up after 3 days
Toddlers will be aged up after learning all the toddler skills and having the skill books at the library read to them
Children will be aged up after getting on the honour roll
Teenagers will be aged up after getting on the honour roll and reaching level 10 in a skill.  At that point, they will become young adults and will be considered ready to move out and live independently.  Moving out the young adults, of course, will make room for more orphans to be cared for.  I'm aiming for a household of 7 people, so there will be room for 5 kids at a time.

I welcome any comments or suggestions regarding the aging-up criteria.  I don't play families very much, which is why it's taken me some time to decide how to deal with this.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Members with at least 5 posts do not see ads on this Forum.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:29 PM »
Sounds good Schipperke!

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2011, 02:58:03 AM »
Thanks for the comments, Esther and Ruby.

I've been thinking about the aging up aspect of this game.  I don't want Sebastian and Pippa to be elders at the end of the 10 weeks, and they just don't have time for all the fishing and gardening necessary to make ambrosia, so I'm playing on epic lifespan.  Which means I need to come up with some criteria for when to age up the kids.  Since the focus is on giving orphans a good start in life, this is what I've come up with:

Babies will be aged up after 3 days
Toddlers will be aged up after learning all the toddler skills and having the skill books at the library read to them
Children will be aged up after getting on the honour roll
Teenagers will be aged up after getting on the honour roll and reaching level 10 in a skill.  At that point, they will become young adults and will be considered ready to move out and live independently.  Moving out the young adults, of course, will make room for more orphans to be cared for.  I'm aiming for a household of 7 people, so there will be room for 5 kids at a time.

I welcome any comments or suggestions regarding the aging-up criteria.  I don't play families very much, which is why it's taken me some time to decide how to deal with this.

I think that is a pretty good criteria, but it does take quite a while to reach Level 10 in a skill.
Also, if you don't play families very much, what do you play? Are you builder? ???

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2011, 09:15:45 AM »
I think that is a pretty good criteria, but it does take quite a while to reach Level 10 in a skill.
Also, if you don't play families very much, what do you play? Are you builder? ???

You're right, Ruby.  Reaching level 10 can take a while.  Mostly what I play is single sims, with a focus on skills and other tasks I give them.  And, of course, I like to take part in the challenges.  But, on the subject of the level 10 skills - I think that's important here as one of the goals is for the orphans to be able to earn a living when they leave, and a level 10 skill will be a good start.  But I'm thinking I might age them up to YA after they get their 3 days on the honor roll at school.  Then they can focus all their time getting their skill level up without having to spend more time than necessary in school.  That will be faster.  They can also get a job before leaving home.  Yeah, I think that's what I'll do.

One of the tasks for Pippa and Sebastian is to bring happiness to these poor abandoned waifs and I wanted to set a goal - X number of happiness points - but I had no idea what number to aim for.  I'm thinking I might require them to all have Steel Bladder and Dirt Defiant before leaving home.  We'll see. 

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
Chapter 9:  Week 2, Sunday

Debbie wants to write.  She wants to paint.  On Sunday afternoon she goes to the library and starts working on her first novel.  Sebastian is at work.  Pippa is home alone playing the guitar she found in the yard when an unexpected visitor arrives.

Pippa can't believe Mr Payne would have the gall to turn up here and stroll into the yard as if he owns the place!  Well, in a sense he does own the place - or at least, the estate does - but Pippa is in no mood to be reasonable.  She blames Mr Payne for foisting this shack on her and her brother.  She is convinced that he could have helped them find a way to break the will if he had wanted to - isn't that what lawyers are for?  So when Mr Payne draws near, Pippa is spoiling for a fight.

Pippa:  What do you want?
Mr Payne:  I was in the neighbourhood and thought I'd pay a friendly visit.  (looking around)  I see you've cleaned up the brambles.  That looks much better.
Pippa:  Yeah, now the cockroaches can enjoy the sun.
Mr Payne:  Hmm, yes ...

Notice in the picture above what Pippa is thinking about.  Do you think maybe she's  scheming to find some way of getting money out of the lawyer?)

Pippa:  If you came to see Sebastian, he's at work.
Mr Payne:  Yes, I know.  I understand he's had a couple of promotions already.  Please give him my congratulations.  I was hoping to meet Debbie, but she's out also?  No matter, I'll see her next time.  Let's go inside.

Next time?  Pippa doesn't like the sound of that.  She really doesn't want Mr Payne in the house, but he steps past her and walks inside.

Mr Payne notices the unwashed plate on the table and says:  Haven't cleaned the table yet, I see.
Pippa:  But I cleaned the walls!  See how much better they look!  Sebastian found those sketches at the Consignment store.  They were free.

Mr Payne inspects Debbie's room.  He says:  You've fixed this up very nicely, indeed.  But is that the best bed you could find?  That's not really a very good bed, you know.
Pippa has had enough.  She yells:  It was all we could afford!  You come here in your fancy suit snooping and criticizing, what do you know of our lives?  Sebastian hardly makes any money at the diner, and I can't go to work because I have to spend all my time cleaning and repairing and looking after the kid! 

Mr Payne responds mildly:  Yes, I see.  And have you donated any money to charity this week?
Pippa, sullenly:  No.
Mr Payne:  Well, don't worry.  I understand money's been tight this week, but I'm sure things will improve.  Now, about Debbie -
Pippa interrupts, shouting:  I spend all my time looking after her!  We spend all our money buying stuff for her!  Now she wants an easel!
Mr Payne:  An easel?  That sounds like a very good idea.  Go ahead and get one for her.
Pippa:  We Can't Afford It!!!  We've barely got enough money to pay the bills.  Oh, I can't bear this.  I feel like I'm a prisoner and I've been locked up in the worst jail cell on the planet.  All I do is work, and this place is awful, and my feet hurt!

Mr Payne:  Your feet?  What's wrong with your feet?
Pippa:  It's these horrible rubber boots.  They make my feet sweat and the skin gets irritated.
Mr Payne:  Why not take them off?
Pippa:  And go around barefoot?  You saw the size of those cockroaches!  How long do you think it would be before those things bit off my toes?
Mr Payne:  Ah, I see.  Well, I think the estate could allow enough money for you to pick up a pair of secondhand shoes.  Why don't you check the Consignment store - they're bound to have a pair of sensible shoes.  Now, about Debbie's bed and that easel.  We really can't have the little tyke doing without.  I'll send over an easel and a better bed.  I'll also find someone to deal with those cockroaches.  We can't have Debbie getting bit, that wouldn't do at all.

He waits for Pippa to thank him, but she just stands looking sullen.

Mr Payne concludes:  Now that Debbie is in school, you're ready to take in another orphan.  And it'll be easier for you since you already have the crib and some toys.  Yes, that's quite satisfactory.  See you next week.

He walks off.

After Sebastian comes home from work that evening, as he and Pippa are eating pancakes left over from breakfast:

Pippa:  Mr Payne came today.
Sebastian:  Payne-in-the-Neck?  What did he want?
Pippa:  To snoop and criticize.  The man is absolutely insufferable!  He found fault with everything!  He said Debbie's bed wasn't good enough!
Sebastian is tired and really doesn't want to buy into Pippa's histrionics.  He says:  Did you tell Payne that we couldn't afford a better bed?
Pippa:  Of course.
Sebastian:  And?
Pippa:  He said (her tone becomes very sarcastic), 'we can't have the little tyke doing without.'  Debbie this, Debbie that!  What about me?  What about what I have to go through? 
Sebastian:  What did he say about Debbie's bed?
Pippa, resentfully:  He's going to send over a new bed and an easel.
Sebastian:  That's ok, then.
Pippa, disappointed with Sebastian's reaction, continues trying to goad him into sharing her indignation:  He said we have to take another orphan and next time you have to do it.
Sebastian:  Whatever.  Fine.  On my next day off.

Offline ratchie

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
I just read this from start to finish you are an amazing writer. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
Wow, it just keeps getting better.  I think I know how it will play out, but I will keep it to myself for now.  I am just as much intrigued with this one as your other one. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Read forum rules
Riches to Rags

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
Thanks very much for the comments, Ratchie and Saltypaws.  Salty, I'm still uncertain of the end myself - there are a number of possibilities - so it will be interesting to see if things play out as you expect them to.  When it's all over, I hope you let us know.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2011, 11:22:53 AM »
You're a magnificent storyteller! Love the dialog where she complains about her feet hurting. :)
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
Thanks very much for the comments, Ratchie and Saltypaws.  Salty, I'm still uncertain of the end myself - there are a number of possibilities - so it will be interesting to see if things play out as you expect them to.  When it's all over, I hope you let us know.

That is the fun of trying to figure out some of these stories.  It could take an unexpected twist on your end to blow my theory out of the water, lol.  We shall see though. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Read forum rules
Riches to Rags

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2011, 11:43:06 AM »
This is an awesome story, Schipperke! I love it. :)
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Lilygirl

• Building Contest Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Baby #2 coming July 2014!!
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
YAY another update! And a great one at that. Mr. Payne better watch out, if Pippa's mood doesn't improve after the kitchen gets upgraded she might have a couple sharp instruments to wave in his direction!
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline Micler

• Occult
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »
You're writing is great! I can't wait to see what happens next. :)

Offline DeNile

• Immortal
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2011, 03:47:33 PM »
Agreed!
The Pendragon Randomacy. My new, and hopefully long-term, story for Carl's forum. Following Anita Pendragon: The Runaway.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »
Thanks very much for the comments, I really appreciate them.  As you can probably tell, this game is a lot of fun.  Although I don't think Pippa and Sebastian would agree.   ;)

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
Awesome update! Poor Pippa and her feet lol.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:34 AM »
Chapter 10:  Week 2, Monday to Friday

True to his word, Mr Payne sends over an easel and two new beds (Mr Payne knows the value of a good kaching or two).  Neither of the twins thanks him.

Both Sebastian and Pippa are inordinately fond of mirrors.  Whenever they have a spare moment they make a beeline for the mirror.  It's quite hilarious watching them trying to get at the mirror at the same time.  They both keep wanting to buy mirrors worth at least $600.  Yeah, right.  Like I'm going to let them waste money on a mirror when there are so many more important things they need.  Get a decent shower and stove first, you idiots!  Do they appreciate my wise guidance?  Fat chance.  The only mirror in the house is the ultra-cheap ghost mirror (I think it costs one simoleon).  One more thing for Pippa to whine about.

Wednesday is Sebastian's day off.  The social worker makes another of her flying visits (do social workers get lessons on how to move that fast?) and drops off the second baby, a son for Sebastian.  Meet Graeme:

Graeme is a very intelligent little fellow.  He's also brave, which should stand him in good stead in this household.  Incidentally, he is named after my father.  I've always liked that spelling of the name.

Sebastian is pleased to learn that he gets paid leave from work to look after his new son.  The leave means it will take even longer for him to get promoted, but getting paid for not working suits Sebastian just fine.  If the price for this time off is having to spend time with Graeme, he's ok with that.

I'm not sure if Sebastian was actually playing with his son in that picture or if he just happened to be carrying Graeme when he went to admire himself in the mirror.  Somehow I neglected to take pictures of Graeme learning to walk, talk and potty, but here's a shot of the two of them at the library:

Trust selfish Sebastian to park himself right in front of the door, with no thought for other people trying to get past.

Meantime, Pippa loses no time running over to the Consignment store to find new shoes. 
Pippa used to have all the latest fashions.  And here she has been going around in someone else's discards.  It's totally unfair.  Cruel and unusual punishment.  Someone of her quality should be wearing the finest imported fabrics - not secondhand rags.  But these are desperate times, and Pippa feels a thrill of excitement as she pulls open the drawer to see what she can find.

Did Mr Payne really think Pippa would spend the money he gave her on sensible shoes?  Not she.  She finds a pair of spiffy high heels that are barely worn and tries them on.  She also tries on a blouse.

The reason the shoes are barely worn is that they are extremely uncomfortable, and the blouse doesn't really go with the skirt (although it's hard to know what would go with that skirt).  But Pippa doesn't care.  She has something new and can finally stop going around in those hateful boots.  You may also notice that she's finally learned how to comb her own hair.

Sebastian is so pleased at being given paid leave that he makes a small donation to charity.  His choice of charities?  He chooses to donate to The Rich.  Naturally.

Offline Esther1981

• Watcher
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2011, 11:01:46 AM »
Welcome Graeme! It's nice to see Pippa got a new shirt even though a little mis-matched lol. It's cute and goes with the story awesomely!  ;D

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2011, 11:16:49 AM »
Welcome to the world, little nooboo! I can't remember his name for Sim's sake. :)
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Lilygirl

• Building Contest Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Baby #2 coming July 2014!!
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
Welcome little Graeme! To Pippa: two thumbs up on the new blouse. *Smirk*
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2011, 03:15:44 AM »
Great update, Schip ;D

Offline Seabody

• CAS Contest Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Run you clever boy and remember
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2011, 03:20:37 AM »
This is an awesome story!
The forum rules are like a towel; don't forget them.

Mods 'n' Things

The integral sec y dy from 0 to 1/6 of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty fourth power of i.

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2011, 09:50:12 AM »
Chapter 11:  Week 2, Saturday

It's the end of another week, and Pippa has a feeling Payne-in-the-Neck is going to follow through on his threat and turn up again.  She really, really doesn't want to have to face that old busybody.  Let Sebastian deal with him this time.  She goes and finds a hedge to hide in:

Sure enough, Mr Payne arrives while Pippa is out.

Mr Payne is delighted with Graeme and the little boy seems to like him.

Mr Payne mentions that he saw Pippa playing for tips the other day and her playing wasn't bad.

Actually, Pippa came home with over $5000 in tips, which is more than I would have expected given her low number of performances and low skill level.  Maybe some of those rich former friends were feeling sorry for her.  Or maybe Mr Payne made a large contribution.  Either way, it's a huge infusion of cash for the household and allows them to finally purchase a decent stove, fridge and shower, as well as a dishwasher.  No mirrors.

Sebastian:  Why is it that kids always want you to buy stuff for them?  Bake stands, teddy bears, toy stoves - do they think money grows on trees?  I work hard for that money and as soon as I earn it, it's already spent!
Mr Payne stifles a smile as he reflects on how much Sebastian sounds like his own father.  Could it be that working is actually beginning to teach Sebastian the value of money?  For the first time since this project began, Mr Payne allows himself to feel a little hope.

He takes the time to have a chat with Debbie.

Debbie thanks him for the easel.  She's the only person in the household to show any appreciation to him.  The twins remain hostile, especially Pippa who seems addicted to melodrama.

Mr Payne tells Sebastian:  I'm very pleased that your finances are improving.  That's excellent news.  Now you can afford to build on another bedroom and take in a third orphan.  I'll get Social Services to send over another little one at the beginning of the week.  Very good, very good.

Mr Payne takes his leave.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »
Go Pippa! Are you sure she hasn't performed any of the songs? ;) Great update.