Author Topic: How do you use friezes?  (Read 84595 times)

Offline CharlotteDaBookworm

• Occult
  • Call me Charlotte, Charlie or Char
How do you use friezes?
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »
Hi, sorry if this has been asked anywere else, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to use friezes. I can turn the cheat on and such but I've seen some houses with them right next to walls and such which I just can't do. Thanks already for any help.

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Let's spread kindness, grace, and joy.
Re: How do you use friezes?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:04:28 PM »
Hey Sims3lover. I will admit up front I am no expert and my experience with friezes (placefriezes on/off) consists of one house built with the cheat (check it out in my sig.) I will share with you what I learned.

First, you cannot have two different heights connected to one another. Whether it's foundation next to a wall, a frieze next to a foundation or a wall, it can't be done. You need one square of space in between for correction - that's where the slanted walls come from. And to connect walls of different heights, you need to use the constrainfloorelevation true/false cheat.

Second, the frieze is available after you turn that cheat on and it is the foundation tool that you use for it. To me it seems to be about 1/3 the height of a regular wall, but I haven't tried stacking friezes to check this. What I do know it that a frieze is taller than a foundation (1/4 the height of a wall) but not quite 1/2 the height of a wall.

Third, a frieze cannot be placed on the ground, or on flooring on the ground; the game tells me it can't be built on the ground floor, it needs to be built on top of existing walls or foundation.

Please allow me some time to take and post pictures to illustrate my points. I will be back here asap.

EDIT March 21: Here's the pictures with a play-by-play of what I did.

First, I'll attach a wall to a foundation (used to attach garages to houses built on a foundation.)

In the cheat box, enter (constrainfloorelevation false) -without the brackets. Then, using the wall tool, connect your wall to the foundation. Another method is to turn the constrain cheat to false before building the walls and simply starting from the attachment point. Both methods will result in this:

Now head into Terrain Tools and select the Level Terrain tool. Click on the foundation/floor to level it back to it's original position (green highlighted square in the above picture). The walls will need to remain their original height if you want to insert functional doors or windows. I choose to lower the walls even with the foundation. This is great for sunken living rooms! To do this, with the Level Terrain tool, click and drag from the foundation floor (the green highlight shows you the area affected).

Now you have this:

Enter the constrain cheat as true to turn it off. Just to illustrate, you can add more foundation adjacent to the lowered walls.

And everything can be covered with floor tile because it is all the same height.

To place a frieze on top of existing walls or foundation be sure your constrain cheat is set to true and enter (placefriezes on) -without the brackets- into the cheat box. Next, select the foundation tool and place your frieze by clicking and dragging, just like placing a foundation. Be sure you're on the correct story level, up one level from the ground in my example.

This is to illustrate the versatility of the stairs tool from foundations and friezes.

Then, I attach walls to the frieze on top of the foundation. Turn the placefriezes cheat off and enter (constrainfloorelevation false) -without the brackets- and build your walls attached to the frieze.

Flatten the floor back using the Level Terrain tool and turn the constrain cheat back to true.

More stairs!

EDIT March 22: Picture added as per Joria's request. The mint green coloured "walls" denote what is called the frieze. It is taller than a foundation but shorter than a regular wall.

You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

Please read the Forum Rules

☀ Sunburst Immortal Dynasty ☀
The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:29:12 AM »
I think this is something Carl may want to add to the guide.  I'll ask him to stop by and look at this thread.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Joria

• Top Secret
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 01:53:33 PM »
Ok, I'm a little confused.  Which "floor" or elevation is the frieze?  Can you color the actual frieze a different color so the visual shows more plainly?

This does make it all sound really easy, if time consuming, and it was awesome to learn you can build sunken areas this way! 
What?  Grannies can't play games?
I speak perfect Nooblik, (and some Simlish)!

----------
With A Twist, an Immortal Dynasty
My No Buy Story
Joria's Creations on the Gallery

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 02:14:34 PM »
Joria, I added a picture for you. The frieze is the mint green section; it must be built in top of existing walls or foundation, it cannot be the bottom floor/story. As you can tell from the stairs, it is taller than a foundation (stairs require 1 square) but shorter than a regular wall (stairs require 4 squares), from a frieze stairs require 1.5 squares.
You've played too much TS3 when ... your 13 month old's babble sounds like Simlish!

The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »
Thanks lilygirl, I was wondering how to do that :D! This'll be really useful for my later builds.

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »
So that's how you do a sunken living room... Nice!

I'd like to make one point, though, (constrainfloorelevation false) doesn't actually need to be activated to use (placefriezes on) in and of itself.  Just pop in (placefriezes on) and then use the foundation tool on a floor above the foundation.

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
I'd like to make one point, though, (constrainfloorelevation false) doesn't actually need to be activated to use (placefriezes on) in and of itself.  Just pop in (placefriezes on) and then use the foundation tool on a floor above the foundation.

I did note that right about here:

To place a frieze on top of existing walls or foundation be sure your constrain cheat is set to true and enter (placefriezes on) -without the brackets- into the cheat box. Next, select the foundation tool and place your frieze by clicking and dragging, just like placing a foundation. Be sure you're on the correct story level, up one level from the ground in my example.

But it does deserve another mention, danefaith.

The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

Offline danefaith

• Top Secret
  • Occult
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:01:25 AM »
Whoooops completely misread that line!  ;D

Oh, sweet irony, deliver me from coincidence.

Please feel free to utilize any of my builds in any of your stories and so forth.

Offline Filly

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:35:10 PM »
Wow great tutorial.  I knew how to do basic things with the friezes cheat but not with the CFE one.  I'm bookmarking this for when I want to try some challenging builds. 

kacielikeduhh

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:16:56 AM »
i am using friezes as the roof in my current build.
i made 3 seperate sections, all about one tile away from eachother and the walls on top of the house to act as a roof

Offline RubyLovesSims

• Watcher
  • Edith Appleby
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »
Thanks for the fantastic tutorial, lilygirl, and I agree, it should be put in the guide! ;D
Introducing... The Tunics
Sadly, no longer. Please see the link.

New! The {Appleby} Legacy

originalsim

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 03:04:56 PM »
I've searched for awhile without success, so I hope this hasn't been answered elsewhere, (or that I'm not missing something obvious in build mode) but does anyone know how to place a frieze diagonally, or in triangles rather than squares?

Offline Lilygirl

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
Since a frieze is the foundation tool, I would assume, although have not confirmed, that using the diagonal foundation tool would produce a diagonal frieze.

The McIrish Bunch RTJ
My Swap Shop Creations

originalsim

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
Since a frieze is the foundation tool, I would assume, although have not confirmed, that using the diagonal foundation tool would produce a diagonal frieze.

I thought so too, but it wouldn't work at all. I either got nothing or red lines with no message. I should go back and try it again. Maybe there was an object in the way or my game was glitching out. It's been doing that a bit lately.

Thanks!

anything