Author Topic: The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge  (Read 221540 times)

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shady eyes* Not me.
Re: The Sims 3 Townie DecaDynasty Challenge
« Reply #425 on: August 07, 2011, 03:33:24 AM »
Thanks Seabody and Metro. Am I allowed to use Tiara but move Lala out straight away?

Sorry Gogo.  It will still be a no because you're choosing a house against the first second rule.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" vs "Let's eat Grandma!"   Use proper punctuation to save lives! (Plus it's a rule.)

Read and follow the Forum Rules or be made to eat spam sammiches!

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious

Offline Gogowars329

• Watcher
« Reply #426 on: August 07, 2011, 03:36:57 AM »
Gogo, I wanted to use Juliennce Knack but she lives with her parents since I was going to have her marry DeAndre anyway I chose him to start me off and then moved in Julienne that way, I play Juli way more than DeAndre because he is always working and sleeping so I get who I wanted.  ;)
Sorry Gogo.  It will still be a no because you're choosing a house against the first second rule.
Thanks guys! I guess it's time to go start my DecaDynasty now that I know who I can't choose and that kind of stuff!
Gogowars Inc - The place to find all of my wonderful creations

Members with at least 5 posts do not see ads on this Forum.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #427 on: August 07, 2011, 03:39:11 AM »
Thanks guys! I guess it's time to go start my DecaDynasty now that I know who I can't choose and that kind of stuff!

Gogo, you're brave! Two DecaDynasties, a Dynasty and a Legacy! :o Way to go!

Ahem. Sorry you couldn't start with Lala, but there is a huge collection of volunteers bachelors in BP so I think you'll find someone who'll like her. ;D
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline SassySimmer

• Tea Addict
  • Immortal
« Reply #428 on: August 07, 2011, 05:16:28 AM »
Oops. Yeah, definitely don't want to contradict myself. Okay, I'll edit the rule set now.

Thanks Metro :)
♫♪If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.  When you're feeling in the dumps, don't be silly chumps, just purse your lips and whistle that's the thing, and always look on the bright side of life......♪♫

*The Danvers Dynasty - completed*
*Swap Shop Thread*

Offline icrawbeans

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #429 on: August 07, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
As always, looks like fun.  Per usual, I have questions for clarification--I'm a stickler to the rules so I want to make sure I understand!

1) The heir Supermaxes a skill (which just means they have reached level 10 and have completed all the associated skill challenges with it) then the following heirs cannot MAX out that skill.  Sim A Supermaxes cooking so Sim B has to stop at level 9?  Or can Sim B not even touch the cooking skill?

2)What is the difference between building and property purchase?  And what is the upgrading?  I assume the buildings are the bookstore, bistro, etc.  Can you modify these, other than the names, after they have been purchased without going into Edit Town mode?  Isd the property the fishing spots, parks, etc?  Again, is there an option for editing them after they have been purchased?  What counts as an upgrade?  Someone previously mentioned cash registers which would mean we would have to go into buydebug correct?

3) Once the heir has obtained a gravestone of the appropriate size, the rules state it must be placed on the lot--which one?  The new one or the old one?

4) The unique items being left can be collected by ANYONE in the current household?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #430 on: August 07, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
1) The heir Supermaxes a skill (which just means they have reached level 10 and have completed all the associated skill challenges with it) then the following heirs cannot MAX out that skill.  Sim A Supermaxes cooking so Sim B has to stop at level 9?  Or can Sim B not even touch the cooking skill?

No, the skill is not of limits. It simply can't be maxed again.

2)What is the difference between building and property purchase?  And what is the upgrading?  I assume the buildings are the bookstore, bistro, etc.  Can you modify these, other than the names, after they have been purchased without going into Edit Town mode?  Isd the property the fishing spots, parks, etc?  Again, is there an option for editing them after they have been purchased?  What counts as an upgrade?  Someone previously mentioned cash registers which would mean we would have to go into buydebug correct?

Basically, buildings are purchased as is (rabbit holes) and properties are the open lots that can be upgraded.

3) Once the heir has obtained a gravestone of the appropriate size, the rules state it must be placed on the lot--which one?  The new one or the old one?

All moving requirements deal with the current house/household, so you're leaving a tombstone in a house, and then you'd move.

4) The unique items being left can be collected by ANYONE in the current household?

Yep. Rules state that everyone can pitch in on that requirement.

Offline icrawbeans

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #431 on: August 08, 2011, 10:38:52 AM »
Thank you!  I've decided to play in Twinbrook which means I need to add a book coral (I assume this is a book shelf with the skill books in it?)  Where might I find this?  I was looking around for it and cannot seem to find one that is specific to the library.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #432 on: August 08, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »
The book corral is a specific bookcase that, when added to a library, contains all the skill books.  It's the same bookcase you can buy for your Sim's home, but when it's on a residential lot it doesn't have all the books.  To add it to the library, go to Edit Town and then Buy/Build for the library.  You can recognize the bookcase by the fact that it is open on the sides. 

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #433 on: August 09, 2011, 03:56:52 AM »

The rabbit hole buildings can only have their name changed, nothing else.  The properties can be upgraded from the Map View without going into Edit Town.  You click on the property and it will give you the option to upgrade.  You can also check to see what upgrade requirements are needed to get to the next level.  It will be things like a picnic table, toilet, sink, etc.  You can also add things that you just want to add, like maybe a play area for children.  All items will be available in the buy/build mode during upgrade.  No need to access Buydebug, which requires using the testing cheats that are against the rules anyway.

Offline Ricalynn

• Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shady eyes* Not me.
« Reply #434 on: August 09, 2011, 12:07:56 PM »
Cash registers are available in the build section only after you have purchased your property.  They should be in the community objects section that only shows up on community lots.  I think that's what someone was referring to not the ones you get from buydebug.  Buydebug is a cheat and therefore banned from the challenge.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" vs "Let's eat Grandma!"   Use proper punctuation to save lives! (Plus it's a rule.)

Read and follow the Forum Rules or be made to eat spam sammiches!

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious

Offline MarianT

• Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #435 on: August 12, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »
Do adventures abroad count as Black Ops? (At first, I thought yes, but I'm beginning to think no).

Also, Rachel, you mentioned a plan to put a garden on a purchased property. I just tried to plant something, and the computer said I could only plant things on my home lot. However, you can harvest things from a house you moved out of.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #436 on: August 12, 2011, 04:55:44 PM »
Do adventures abroad count as Black Ops? (At first, I thought yes, but I'm beginning to think no).

I believe they don't. Because they certainly do not in Immortal Dynasties.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline MarianT

• Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #437 on: August 12, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
Thanks, Chronic! -- you saved me reading through 120 pages under the Immortal Dynasty Challenge.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #438 on: August 12, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »
Thanks, Chronic! -- you saved me reading through 120 pages under the Immortal Dynasty Challenge.

You're welcome, Marian. :)

Offline ratchie

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #439 on: August 13, 2011, 05:18:22 AM »

Also, Rachel, you mentioned a plan to put a garden on a purchased property. I just tried to plant something, and the computer said I could only plant things on my home lot. However, you can harvest things from a house you moved out of.

Thank you for the heads up I guess my gardener will just have to start his or her garden again when it comes to it. Not the end of the world by all means.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

jcalandra

« Reply #440 on: August 13, 2011, 07:06:56 PM »
What an enjoyable challenge. :)  It serves my attention span well.  I do have one question, however.  Since we can add the playground from Generations to our town through Edit Town, would it be too much of a stretch to assume we can also place the new community lots that come with Town Life Stuff as well?  Apologies if this has already been questioned.  I searched the thread and could not find anything.  :)

Online Seabody

• CAS Contest Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Run you clever boy and remember
« Reply #441 on: August 13, 2011, 07:18:20 PM »
What an enjoyable challenge. :)  It serves my attention span well.  I do have one question, however.  Since we can add the playground from Generations to our town through Edit Town, would it be too much of a stretch to assume we can also place the new community lots that come with Town Life Stuff as well?  Apologies if this has already been questioned.  I searched the thread and could not find anything.  :)

I believe (though I may be wrong) Metro said No in the Immortal Dynasty, so I would assume it carries over here too.
The forum rules are like a towel; don't forget them.

The integral sec y dy from 0 to 1/6 of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty fourth power of i.

Sigma

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #442 on: August 13, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »

I asked that question a little while ago. This is what Metro said:

I would prefer you only alter towns with what the rules allow.

Meaning only Generations and Gothic Library, as stated in the rules.

4. The Edit Town screen is off limits with three exceptions:
  • Twinbrook and Bridgeport players can add the Book Corral to the town library.
  • Barnacle Bay players can use Edit Town features to place a Salon, Firehouse, Consignment Store, and Junkyard.
  • Anyone can use Edit Town to place bars, lounges, and the studio in neighborhoods that do not have those buildings. And anyone can place Generations playgrounds and the Gothic Library as well.

jcalandra

« Reply #443 on: August 13, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
Thank you, Seabody and MoonsAreBlue.  That's saved me the time and trouble of searching further and I appreciate it.  I do have a few more questions (this being my first DecaDynasty):

1.  As far as collecting unique items goes, do we count the original value of the object or the final value before moving the heir to a new household?  This is more for paintings and furniture, which appreciate/depreciate. 

The technical answer seems to be to count the values just before the move, but.. *whiny* I've chosen to collect stolen furniture with the Bagleys for fun.. slowly realizing this venture might not be in my favor. :)

2.  I noticed that Tourists are listed as NPCs, but not Explorers.  Unless this is implied, Explorers should probably be listed as well to save future Simmers from confusion in this regard, because they seem to be two different types of NPCs though I'm not quite sure what the difference between the two is exactly.

3.  Can heirs marry townies from travelling destinations, given that they are not NPCs?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #444 on: August 13, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »
I do have another question: as far as collecting unique items goes, do we count the original value of the object or the final value before moving the heir to a new household?  This is more for paintings and furniture, which appreciate/depreciate.

It would be the current value at moving time.

jcalandra

« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2011, 10:01:05 PM »
That clears things up.  Thanks.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #446 on: August 14, 2011, 02:57:19 AM »
Why is the Gothic Library allowed to be placed, but not the Olympian Gym and the new buildings in Town Life?  They're all the same thing as the Gothic Library...  replacements of existing town buildings.  If the Olympian Gym has something that the original gyms don't have, I can see that.  But not being able to place a new restaurant or book store or whatever?  Doesn't make sense to me.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #447 on: August 14, 2011, 07:21:57 AM »
Why is the Gothic Library allowed to be placed, but not the Olympian Gym and the new buildings in Town Life?  They're all the same thing as the Gothic Library...  replacements of existing town buildings.  If the Olympian Gym has something that the original gyms don't have, I can see that.  But not being able to place a new restaurant or book store or whatever?  Doesn't make sense to me.

There's no reason aside from the fact that no one has brought it to my attention. ;) And I don't even own the Town Life expansion, so I'm in the dark. But, you brought it up, so I'll make the edit. :)

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #448 on: August 14, 2011, 07:33:43 AM »
There's no reason aside from the fact that no one has brought it to my attention. ;) And I don't even own the Town Life expansion, so I'm in the dark. But, you brought it up, so I'll make the edit. :)

I think that rule should follow as... "All additional EA-created buildings are allowed to be placed in a town using Edit Town". Just saying. :)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #449 on: August 14, 2011, 07:39:56 AM »
I think that rule should follow as... "All additional EA-created buildings are allowed to be placed in a town using Edit Town". Just saying. :)

Well said. Done.

--------

EDIT: WOW! I don't get excited very often but Chronic you made my day.

• Barnacle Bay players can use Edit Town features to place a Salon, Firehouse, Consignment Store, and Junkyard.

I just was able to completely eliminate that rule with your suggestion. Simpler is always better. Now to hop over to the Immortal Dynasty ruleset.