Author Topic: Mission Highly Unlikely: Mission Complete  (Read 156221 times)

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Mission Highly Unlikely: 20. A New Threat
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2012, 09:24:11 AM »
*Cackles Gleefully*

I should have expected something like that  ;D

Well, you were the one who came up with the Simler idea, so I think you need to take some of the credit, my friend.  Thanks to your creative mind, Sundown Town just acquired a whole new kind of evilness (if that's a word).  ;)

Oh, and by the way, I thought readers might be interested in something I found when I was researching the historical character who was Simler's model (I don't even want to write his name here, but you know who I mean.)  One of the Wikipedia articles I looked at contained a link to something called "Sundown Town."  What??? I made up that name as a play on "Sunset Valley" - how could there possibly be a link to it?  Naturally I hurried over to look at the article.

There I learned that "sundown town" was the term applied to segregated communities that had a practice of actively discouraging non-white people from remaining in town after sundown.  Actively discouraging meaning harassment, threats, violence, and even a few lynchings.  This variety of racism had its heyday from the late 19th to the early- to mid-20th Century.  But in his book about the phenomenon, James Loewen seems to imply that this type of racial segregation may still exist, although probably not quite as blatantly as in times past.

As I said, I had no idea of all this when I nicknamed my town "Sundown Town."  I just wanted a name that was similar to "Sunset Valley" but a little darker sounding.  I had no idea how dark was the territory I was getting into.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Louise56

« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »
Simler is a scary sim! He look so much like the real thing it is scary! :o
I wonder what Vita will say about this? She is a vampire. I think there are trouble ahead for everyone.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
  • Resident Genie Expert, Evil Simlord.
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
Oh my! That's terrible, although it certainly gives it a whole new meaning when applied to Sims and Supernaturals.
William's Wealth and Power Legacy

Fausta Legacy
*Twitch* GENIES!  *Twitch*
"For if Knowledge is Power, then a god am I!"- The Riddler

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »
Wow. This is getting deeper all the time. Great job Schip! You're a natural!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »
Wow. This is getting deeper all the time. Great job Schip! You're a natural!

Thanks, Rosa, but I really can't take credit for Simler.  Sadly, his real-life counterpart's racist activity is well-documented in the historical records.  All I've done is translate it into Sim terms, and doing that is a lot easier with Supernatural.

And the character was obliging enough to give me some good screenshots.  I particularly like the one of him standing in front of town hall - catching that expression was pure chance!

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Offline ArtisticFantasy

• Soon-to-be Writer
  • Llama Wrangler
« Reply #245 on: November 04, 2012, 02:09:33 PM »
I wonder what Simler will do about Vita... Surely he won't try to banish the Evil Queen herself!?

Offline donatello

• "Dreamin' dreams to oneday carve in stone..." - Prime Circle
  • Occult
  • Just as well my sims game is unplayable (stupid update issues!) I don't have time these days anyway.
« Reply #246 on: November 04, 2012, 02:42:24 PM »
He's gonna dig his own grave.
"Life is not worth living unless lived for someone else" - Albert Einstein
"The only history worth a tinker's dam is the history we made today" - Henry Ford
"If it feels like you have everything under control, you're simply not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #247 on: November 04, 2012, 02:55:45 PM »
This just keeps getting better and better, but Nameless with win in the end..

Offline Dextra2

• Ruler-of-All-She-Sees-And Has A Really Big Ego.
  • Immortal
  • You can call me Dex!
« Reply #248 on: November 04, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
Isn't Vita Alto (did I spell her name right?) a vampire? This will be messy. :D
If a cluttered desk is an indication of a clutter mind, what is indicated by an empty desk?
~~~
That one moment when you realize you've been stalking the same thread for ten minutes... And there no reason why because you're up to date on everything.
~~~
Crossing the Rubicon

The Dark Fae's Quest

Offline RainBeau

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Formerly known as ombradellarosa <3
« Reply #249 on: November 04, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
Thanks, Rosa, but I really can't take credit for Simler.  Sadly, his real-life counterpart's racist activity is well-documented in the historical records.  All I've done is translate it into Sim terms, and doing that is a lot easier with Supernatural.

And the character was obliging enough to give me some good screenshots.  I particularly like the one of him standing in front of town hall - catching that expression was pure chance!

It's true, I was wondering at first how he was racist, but then I realised what you were doing. It does translate to Sims world. It's awful, but Good will vanquish Evil and that is so satisfying!
Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

By samoht04

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
« Reply #250 on: November 04, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
It's true, I was wondering at first how he was racist, but then I realised what you were doing. It does translate to Sims world. It's awful, but Good will vanquish Evil and that is so satisfying!

Good does not always vanquish Evil, oftentimes the lines are too blurry to accurately decide. Perhaps the same will happen here.

Also, just remember, Evil is hypocritical, it picks and chooses when it wants to do what it does. So Simler will be fine with Vita, but if he saw Mary, he'd flip out, etc.         

Fausta Legacy

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2012, 05:07:17 PM »
Regarding Simler and Vita, keep in mind that she's his boss at this point, and that will probably influence how he relates to her.  Of course, things may change ...

And I think this insightful comment deserves to be quoted again:

Also, just remember, Evil is hypocritical, it picks and chooses when it wants to do what it does. So Simler will be fine with Vita, but if he saw Mary, he'd flip out, etc.         

Wiry, I trust your insight and judgement on things Evil.  ;) I think that comment is bang on.  Simler will do what he deems expedient, as his real-life counterpart did.  I don't think he'll be too concerned about being logically consistent.

Offline Wiry

• Watcher
« Reply #252 on: November 04, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »
Whee! I feel special now  ;D

Fausta Legacy

Offline Schipperke

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Mission Highly Unlikely: 21. Goodbye, Little Buddy
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »
Goodbye, Little Buddy

Diary Entry

The days settled into a routine of work, work and more work.  I spent much of my day writing at the computer.  I was pleased to discover that I had some talent for writing childrens' books, and they were beginning to pay decent royalties.  I burned out several computers.

Mary Fairy took a break from her sculpting and tried her hand at writing as well.  She didn't seem to have my knack for children's stories, but at least we had a few more books to put in the library if we could ever afford to build it.

Ever since I had been forced to give up my piano and switch to the guitar, the townsfolk just didn't seem to be as interested in gathering around to listen to my playing.  But playing for tips was an important part of my cover story.  So I found odd moments to practice during the week and on weekends I went downtown to play for tips.

Dr Freud had told me to look after my health, and I was trying to follow his advice.  Most days I remembered to take a shower.  Exercise had never really been much fun for me, but I decided to take up jogging.  I still didn't enjoy it, but it was one way to get around, and allowed me to keep an eye on things without attracting suspicion.

Everything was going along quite comfortably.  And then one day I went to fill PJ's food dish and found this:

My little buddy had fallen off his perch!  Little PJ, my first pal in this unfriendly town, was gone, all too soon.  I had never expected his life to be so short and was devastated by his death.

Rest in peace, little buddy.  You came along just when I needed a friend, and I will never forget you.

Diary entry ends.

And Nameless wasn't the only one upset about PJ's death!  I have aging turned off in this game (pet aging too) and never expected to see the little guy fall off his perch.  In real life, African Grey parrots have a very long lifespan, almost as long as a human, so it came as a shock to see PJ gone after such a short time.  I hate it when my characters die.   :'(

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
Re: Mission Highly Unlikely: 21. Goodbye, Little Buddy
« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »
R.I.P. PJ

Sorry to hear about his pet, I hate that. Pets are the best. Especially doggies..

anything