Author Topic: How To: Create Links on the Forum and with Text  (Read 49420 times)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
How To: Create Links on the Forum and with Text
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:22:14 AM »
Edited: June 2019

- Create a Link with Text
- Link Example
- Create Story Chapter Links
- Alternative way to Add a Chapter List

How To: Create Links on the Forum with text

When you want to create links or links with text in them this is what you do: (Regardless if your sending a PM or creating a New Topic)

1. Make note of what the link is. For example: We'll take the forum's link -
http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php

To copy a link - Mouse over link, Right-click - Select Copy Link Location to get the post link for your chapter list.

I'm using Firefox, If you're using a different browser trying to copy the link may be different.

To copy your chapter names, Left-click drag the mouse over the chapter name to highlight, right click and select copy.

To change the subject line on any of your own posts, click the word Modify to the right of the subject line. Right-click the subject line to edit it. (Click images to enlarge)

Modify the Post -

Modify Subject Line -

2. When adding the link to a message, click the Insert Hyperlink button [Globe with note on it] in the Editor menu above the message box. (Click image to enlarge)

This will create the bbcode for the link.

Example Text: Carl and Pam's Sims Community
Example Link: http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php

Copy the link above in between the URL brackets, like below:

Code: [Select]
[url=Copy Link Here ] Copy Text Here [/url]

[url=http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php]Carl and Pam's Sims Community[/url]

-- The asterisks are for tutorial purposes - to easily show you the bbcode for the link. They are not needed to make the link and text work.

3. Copy/Paste the link between the brackets. [*url*=*]http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php[/*url*] -- Here you have the link!!

4. Adding the text to the link. - Insert a bracket after your link, and add the text. For example:
[*url*=http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php] Carl and Pam's Sims Community[/*url*]

5. Then you have your link with text to post in the forum!!
Carl and Pam's Sims Community

Link Example

In the Green box below is an example of the bbcode if you'd rather just copy and paste the example and use it.

[url=http://example.com]Example[/url]

Left-click and drag the mouse over the link to highlight. Right-click while highlighted and select Copy. Paste it into a New Topic or PM.

How To: Create Story Chapter Links

You can also use this howto to create chapter links for your stories. To help make it easier for readers to jump straight to the most current chapter.

1. When creating a story, reserve a post or two for the chapter links and introduction of the story.
2. Right-click the Subject of the post and select 'copy address' (or something similar, depending on your browser) to get the link for the specific post.
3. Paste it to your chapters list or index post.
5. Preview to make sure it works and looks okay.
6. Post!

To reserve posts for chapter lists and/or an introduction or any other additions you'd like to add go to the top of your thread and click the green Reply button for each reserved post you'd like to have. You are essentially replying to yourself, but that is how you can create separate posts for chapter lists. :)

Alternative way to Add a Chapter List

An alternative way to add a chapter list if you don't want to give it it's own post is to add a spoiler tag and put the chapter links in it. Example below:

[spoiler]

Put your chapter list in a Spoiler Tag

[url=http://example.com]Example[/url]

[/spoiler]

----------
When you're editing your post or creating a post. In the editor menu, up above the Smilies there's a Insert Spoiler Button. You can put your chapter list in a spoiler tag to help save some room.

How to add Spoiler Tags: (Click image to enlarge)

If you want to use the code above highlight the code (Left-click drag mouse over code), copy (Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) into your post.

If you want to try this, but are unsure of how to use the spoiler tag, please don't hesitate to ask.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Maritah

Re: Creating Links on the Forum
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:52:12 AM »
Below is what the finished code looks like, except for the space after the first bracket.  I had to put that there so that it doesn't actually make the embedded link.

[ url=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/thesims3ambitions/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-55200103&pid=991031] Click here.[/url]

Does the code tag not work on this forum?

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/thesims3ambitions/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-55200103&pid=991031] Click here.[/url]
Ah, it does.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Swede1992

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »
Ha, ha, you're right Maritah! You know the forum better than we do! :D

For everyone else who wants to know the code tag, it has a button above the smileys in the posting screen marked with the # sign.
Manbearpig simply wants to get you. I'm super cereal. - Al Gore :)
There is no absolute truth, but the Forum Rules still come pretty close. Pay them a visit.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:03:59 PM »
Ha, ha, you're right Maritah! You know the forum better than we do! :D

For everyone else who wants to know the code tag, it has a button above the smileys in the posting screen marked with the # sign.

Ok, does the code tag let the entire length of HTML show up in it's raw state with me putting that space after the bracked?

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Maritah

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »
Ok, does the code tag let the entire length of HTML show up in it's raw state with me putting that space after the bracked?

Yes, you'll notice that I removed the space after the [ in the link I quoted.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »
Yes, you'll notice that I removed the space after the [ in the link I quoted.

Excellent!  Thank you.  I'll change the original post.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 08:13:10 PM »
 Ok, just testing this to see if I did it right.  I just picked a page to use.  If I got this, anyone can get it. lol  so here goes.  click here

yay.  Ok, now this will be better, so I can direct members to other posts.  Thanks Pam, that was really good instructions.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

rockcc12

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:26 PM »
I know this isn't the right place to post this, but I don't know where to go. My  Sims 3 won't work! :'(
 I was about to play it one day when a pop up appeared from the game launcher saying: Your Sims 3 base game is not compatible with your Sims 3 expansion packs. I tried everything to fix it but it always said that.

Then I went to uninstall it and reinstall it. So, it was uninstalling but it only got about a quarter of a way full then something popped up saying: Not Found-Parameter 911X?
           Catosprofic Error.

So I was like okay and went to the game launcher where it said my game wasn't done installing, but it was never uninstalled. I am so confused and I really need some help.  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, rockcc12.

You're right.  This isn't the right place to post this.  You should start a new topic on the Technical Help board.  Also, please reduce the number of smilies.  One is plenty.  :)

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

CandyHeartedSim

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 05:10:30 AM »
This just helped me a lot, thanks Pam.

Offline NeeNeePearl

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 11:19:49 PM »
Yay! - I had no idea how people did chapters or embedded links, and then I found this! I just did it successfully (With my tongue poking out the whole time, but I still did it) Thanks Pam! ;D
“When it rains on your parade, look up rather than down. Without the rain, there would be no rainbow.” - G.K. Chesterton

The Diamond Dynasty - A Girl From Simasi

Anna33

Links?
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
In peoples signature I've seen links to their stories, I want to do that too but im not sure how, can anyone please explain it to me?

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
Re: Links?
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »
There is a sticky topic already on the technical help forum about Creating Links on the forum.  You can find it here.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Anna33

Re: Links?
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »
Thank you

Offline Sherry

• A stressful student mostly. A 0,01% nice
  • Immortal
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 10:36:39 PM »
Thanks, Pam. This really helps a lot.  :D
I've been wondering how to make a shortcut link like that every since a week or so.
You want to see a miracle? be the miracle - Bruce Almighty 'God'
Everybody Lies - Gregory House

My current Goth project Goth Affairs
A Blood Red Dynasty My first try in dynasty